• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads | July 2017

Nairume

Banned
Curious to see the feedback on Vaccine !
Yeah. I found reviews for the other versions of the games, and it seems like a lot of the negative ones were docking it for things that I am honestly fine with or outright want out of the game.

Would be nice to see impressions for somebody going into it wanting something that controls like old RE and does the roguelike thing.

UberTag

Scooped up Implosion, Bulb Boy and the Blaster Master DLC.
Will wait on impressions for Shephy although the price is certainly friendly. Was surprised to see Arc System Works attached to it as well.

Shephy is quite hard and really weird (the story mode is bizarre and dark), but it seems strategic. Like half the cards in your hand are bad and require managing to minimize the damage to your sheep. You have to get to 1000 sheep before you cycle through the deck 3 times.You can have up to 7 cards laying out at a time, and there are cards that copy other cards, cards that combine cards to make 10 sheep,30 sheep, 100 sheep etc. The bad cards do things like plague your sheep, destroying for instance a set of 1 sheep cards, or level down a sheep card, making a 3 sheep card a 1. You can get a sheepdog card to destroy a bad card. I started to understand what I was doing on my 4th attempt and it's pretty fun. The music is irritating and I turned it down after a couple rounds. It's cute and seems worth the asking price.

TheMoon

Yeah. I found reviews for the other versions of the games, and it seems like a lot of the negative ones were docking it for things that I am honestly fine with or outright want out of the game.

Would be nice to see impressions for somebody going into it wanting something that controls like old RE and does the roguelike thing.

Yea I actually am interested in this because it's such a specific RE1 throwback. I don't need some reviewer to tell me about ugly graphics and how much tank controls suck.

Camjo-Z

Implosion is pretty fun so far. Its mobile roots are obvious but if you like dumb grindy hack 'n slash games it's a no brainer. I feel I should issue a trigger warning after seeing that Snake Pass thread though - the game's icon is just a face with no logo, so BEWARE!!

UberTag

I feel I should issue a trigger warning after seeing that Snake Pass thread though - the game's icon is just a face with no logo, so BEWARE!!
Bulb Boy is pretty much the same deal. Seems like a growing trend with devs wanting their icons to resemble smartphone apps instead of featuring the actual title of the game.

Camjo-Z

Bulb Boy is pretty much the same deal. Seems like a growing trend with devs wanting their icons to resemble smartphone apps instead of featuring the actual title of the game.

Not sure why, considering:

A. It makes the games look out of place compared to the majority of titles, and
B. Unlike on mobile you only see icons on your menu and not on the actual storefront, so it serves no marketing purpose

Dumbest of all, Implosion and Bulb Boy have icons on the web store with logos. It's not a dealbreaker for me or anything but devs should stop doing it all the same.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Damn a friend and fellow GAFer one Mr Jax accidentally lost his switch on the LA public transit today. :(

*sigh*
That was clearly a glib retort to the absurd notion that something which hasn't been experienced can't be judged.

I maintain that the latest releases seem mediocre on the whole and I'm sure forthcoming reviews will be a testament to this.
If the fact I'm unwilling to spend money to prove myself right makes my opinion invalid than so be it.

Damn a friend and fellow GAFer one Mr Jax accidentally lost his switch on the LA public transit today. :(

Oh no :(
This is why I'm terrified to take my Switch with me without cloud saves, losing my Zelda save... man... I can't even... mannnn
Hopefully he didn't lose all his cartridges/bought digitally and can redownload his library

Vanillalite

You've played all of these games long enough to make an absolute statement like that?

Vaccine sucked on PC, and Shephy while not bad on Android isn't exactly gonna set the world on fire.

It doesn't help that the Nindies direct set expectations at a certain level, and many people are asking where half the fucking games shown are. Not that indies should rush their product. It's more a case of bad optics.

That being said GoNNER was last week and IMO that game is solid, and next week Death Squared is a nice MP game.

It's also one of the biggest US Holiday weeks of the year. So not surprised this is a light week.

*sigh*
That was clearly a glib retort to the absurd notion that something which hasn't been experienced can't be judged.

I maintain that the latest releases seem mediocre on the whole and I'm sure forthcoming reviews will be a testament to this.
If the fact I'm unwilling to spend money to prove myself right makes my opinion invalid than so be it.

Oh no :(
This is why I'm terrified to take my Switch with me without cloud saves, losing my Zelda save... man... I can't even... mannnn
Hopefully he didn't lose all his cartridges/bought digitally and can redownload his library

Bulb Boy has 80% average from the 3 reviews so far. The pc version is over 80% as well. Nintendo world report gave Implosion 9/10, and the IOS version has over 90% review average as well. I think you're wrong about those 2 getting bad reviews..( and I really like Shephy as well but that one is just my personal taste)

Rmagnus

Banned
Bulb Boy has 80% average from the 3 reviews so far. The pc version is over 80% as well. Nintendo world report gave Implosion 9/10, and the IOS version has over 90% review average as well. I think you're wrong about those 2 getting bad reviews..( and I really like Shephy as well but that one is just my personal taste)

Games can't be good because it is from mobile, toxic mindset to have.

Vanillalite

Again I think Shephy is alright for what it is. It's fine at least what I played on mobile. Same for other games.

I think it's more to do with optics. People saw the games in the indie showcase as stuff like Stardew Valley, Overcooked, and Pocket Rumble. Instead they are getting Vaccine, Shephy, and Bulb.

jariw

I think it's more to do with optics. People saw the games in the indie showcase as stuff like Stardew Valley, Overcooked, and Pocket Rumble. Instead they are getting Vaccine, Shephy, and Bulb.

I looked at some Let's Play of Bulb Boy on YouTube, and IMO it looks great. Very consistent art style and nice animations. What's your objection regarding the art direction of that game?

derFeef

Vaccine looks and sounds great. If it's done right it can be fun I think. I honestly want to jump in just because of the price and setting/premise. Some more impressions would be great.

So much for the quality control, Switch store this and next week is a straight torrent of mediocrity. Disappointing.

Well, I can't speak for every game but De Mambo, which is out next week, is not mediocre. I mean, I am one of the three who made the game so I would say that right?

But still. Give it and the others a chance as you never know!

Vanillalite

Vaccine looks and sounds great. If it's done right it can be fun I think. I honestly want to jump in just because of the price and setting/premise. Some more impressions would be great.

It would work better (IMO) if it wasn't randomly generated levels.

donny2112

New Castlevania rewards, probably to support the Netflix series.

200 Platinum coins - 40% off Castlevania Wii U/3DS
20 Gold coins - 40% off Castlevania II Wii U/3DS
20 Gold coins - 40% off Castlevania III Wii U/3DS

zroid

Banned
I just realized that every time you add funds to either 3DS/Wii U or Switch, you have to merge the account balances again if you want to use them on the other platform. I had merged them the first time I setup my Switch and I thought that was done with! So weird.

I just realized that every time you add funds to either 3DS/Wii U or Switch, you have to merge the account balances again if you want to use them on the other platform. I had merged them the first time I setup my Switch and I thought that was done with! So weird.
What? Really? I have added funds on the web, my 3DS, and my Switch, and only had to do the initial merge at system launch.

foltzie1

What? Really? I have added funds on the web, my 3DS, and my Switch, and only had to do the initial merge at system launch.

Indeed, I've added funds on both the 3DS and the Switch and seen the balance be reflected correct on each system with our remerging.

I imagine that would be a problem if you're shifting your region on your Nintendo Account. I have separate accounts per region, so I've avoided that.

Camjo-Z

If you're actually interested, play the mobile games:

1: iOS / Android
2: iOS / Android

Free is even better than a localization!

Games can't be good because it is from mobile, toxic mindset to have.

MIssed this post earlier but after getting to Chapter 2 of Implosion... yeah, anyone skipping this or thinking it's mediocre because it's a mobile port is totally wrong. Probably my favorite Switch eShop game so far, reminds me of Halo Spartan Assault but with a melee focus instead of guns and no crappy F2P elements. (edit: Oh snap, the expansion campaign features a character with balls-to-the-wall gunslinging action. I wasn't ready for this)

deadfolk

Remembered that for some reason I have Bulb Boy on Steam, so I installed and played for a couple of minutes.

Yeah, I think I'm definitely in for a Switch version at €7.99.

Vaccine is actually a lot of fun. It's roguelike, bite-sized, classic Resident Evil. You can't get rid of the randomization as it would mess up the flow of what the game is.

TheMoon

Vaccine is actually a lot of fun. It's roguelike, bite-sized, classic Resident Evil. You can't get rid of the randomization as it would mess up the flow of what the game is.

based on the steam reviews I saw, the positive ones were from people who played it for 30min-1h while the negative ones are all multi hour ones. how much time have you put into it?

Top Bottom