• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2010

Teknoman

How is Metal Torrent? Also VC needs Hard Corps, NES Contra, Yoshi Island, Earthbound, and Lufia 1&2 asap.

Why is Earthbound being held back again?

Mejilan said:
Metal Torrent and Light Trax seem cool. I think I'll pick those up tomorrow.
Anyone have impressions for Viral Survival? The description wasn't all that descriptive.

There's this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwgWQ_75bcw

looks like it could be fun but doesn't get me excited enough to spend real money on an intangible thing.

apparently made by a japanese company called Peakvox who have made several fairly generic looking iPhone games.

jlevel13

The easy version of Metal Torrent is VERY easy (a no death 1CC on my first try even though I didn't know what I was doing). Took about ten minutes to play through. I guess it's more about the chaining system & score than survival? Will try the harder difficulty later - it better offer some challenge. Does the game have any unlocks?

Davey Cakes

Teknoman said:
Why is Earthbound being held back again?
Legal issues over cultural references and particular music pieces.

It's absolutely ridiculous. Of all games that deserve VC releases, Earthbound's easily in the top 10. Such a great Nintendo gem that's sadly ignored outside of the loyal fanbase.

Neo Samus

I had to also comment on Light Trax. For $6 it is a STEAL!! The graphics may be simple but they have a life to them. To me it feels kind of tron-ish, minus the bikes. Awesome music too. I find myself bopping my head to the tunes.

Actually on the topic of Art Style, I have 500 DSi points and I want to get an Art Style game. What is a good choice from the selection on the DSi?

Provider

nincompoop said:
Just picked up Light Trax and it is indeed very cool and unique, especially the freeway section. <3 <3 Art Style <3 <3

freeway's pretty cool, relaxing/addictive, I'll give the races another try latter.

Neo Samus said:
Actually on the topic of Art Style, I have 500 DSi points and I want to get an Art Style game. What is a good choice from the selection on the DSi?

Boxlife

bryehn

I prefer the simplicity of Dotstream to Light Trax, but do love the addition of the Freeway and even more awesome music.

My biggest problem (besides no CC support, big thumb mashes A) is that when it goes to the 3/4 isometric view, I find it tough to gauge when to turn and also that I mistake the yellow trail for my own. I preferred being able to choose your colour in Dotstream.

mclem

JoshuaJSlone said:
So if it's so realistic and accurate, will the game end with you failing to solve the crime?

I wasn't aware that realistic 19th-Century detection methods involved looking at messy crimescenes and picking out objects in those scenes from a list.

The more you know, eh?

TunaLover said:
I'm so chicken, who is willing to make an Art Style OT? =P

I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but I don't think I can provide much info beyond what's available from Nintendo's sites and wikipedia.

Neo Samus said:
I had to also comment on Light Trax. For $6 it is a STEAL!! The graphics may be simple but they have a life to them. To me it feels kind of tron-ish, minus the bikes. Awesome music too. I find myself bopping my head to the tunes.

The first one I got was PiCTOBiTS. Boxlife is good too, though.

I've beaten the first three tours now in Light Trax and it's starting to get pretty tough, you really have to memorize the track layouts and take advantage of the items and speed boosts if you want to make it out alive, let alone finish first. My only real problem is that during races the lane shifting seems way too sensitive and often times I'll accidentally shift two lanes while trying to shift only one, which at best slows you down and prevents you from filling your draft boost meter and at worst sends you into a wall or obstacle. Oh and also I accidentally hit A a couple of times while pressing right which causes you to lose a life (for a speed boost), which is kind of annoying.

Caesar III said:
Wow, there are 2 new ones. They are already bought :D

I hope for lighttrax this friday.
Looks unlikely (why does NoE always behave like this with ArtStyle games).

WiiWare:
Lead the Meerkats™ 1000 pt
Voodoo Dice 1000 pt p.s. the name of the title has got me thinking, is this anything like Devil Dice?

DSiWare: BLOONS, Hero of Sparta, Flips The Magic Faraway Tree, Animal Color Cross and Just SING! National Anthems.

An interesting thing on the horizon is it looks like Robocylpse Beaver Defense might finally be out next week (4th June) at 600 pts (I seem to recall this being announced ages ago).

AColdDay

Rash said:

It's absolutely ridiculous. Of all games that deserve VC releases, Earthbound's easily in the top 10. Such a great Nintendo gem that's sadly ignored outside of the loyal fanbase.

One day, we(Mother fans) will have our moment in the sun.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Rash said:

Whoa, is that true? It seems like an odd dodge more than anything.

Neo Samus

Downloaded Boxlife. Very cool game. Is PiCTOBiTS also a good one? I'm saving 800 for X-Scape next week, but if PiCTOBiTS is also worth it then I buy some more points.

Neo Samus said:
Downloaded Boxlife. Very cool game. Is PiCTOBiTS also a good one? I'm saving 800 for X-Scape next week, but if PiCTOBiTS is also worth it then I buy some more points.
pictopics is awesome as well. Buy all the artstyle games. You won't regret it! :lol

edit: lead the meerkats looks fun. Like a mix out of Pikmin, Spore and SimAnt

Provider

PiCTOBiTS is awesome too, it gets really hard really fast.

Mockingbird said:
I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but I don't think I can provide much info beyond what's available from Nintendo's sites and wikipedia.

I could help with the graphics for the thread.

Samuray

Starwolf_UK said:
Looks unlikely (why does NoE always behave like this with ArtStyle games)

Not just ArtStyle. When, o when, will "Looksley's Line Up" (that faux 3D DSi game) see a Euro release?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Metal Torrent is probably my first experience with a bullet hell shooter, and damn me, but I like it! I cleared the first pattern mode on my first try without dying, but sadly only ranked something like 470th place with what I thought was a decent 80-some million score. Alas!

Light Trax is fucking cool and trippy as hell. Totally whiffed my first race due to not understand WTF I was doing. (Probably should have scoped out the help section), but I figured it out before long and got first place on the second! Awesome.

Neo Samus

The funny thing about Metal Torrent's "bullet hell" mechanics is that a lot of the bullet's don't even hurt you....well at least in easy mode. That said though, for five dollars, it is a very fun shumup experience.

Mejilan, the trick to the high score is the combo system. I'm still trying to figure it out but i noticed that (in easy mode) if you use your secondary weapon when there are a lot of bullets the cubes will changes colors and shape. So far I've noticed these colors in this order; purple, blue, green, brown, and gold.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Oxx said:
Art Style "Penta Tentacles" is out for Europe tonight.

That's the other Art Style Wii Ware game that was announced at that Nintendo summit. I can't remember what name was used back then.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/wiiware/art_style_penta_tentacles_17826.html

Oh God, what a fucking hideous name. The original title of ROTOZOA was so much better, a wink to the microbiology theme and quite catchy. Hopefully NoA stick with that one (I think they will, as it was announced at their conference and is still on their site). I will never understand why the ArtStyle games have been given different names in almost every region.

Oxx

Oh yeah, Rotozoa is much better. The region-specific AS titles are just a joke now.

I like the exclamations that pop up at the side of the screen. Reminds me of the shooting in Deadly Premonition.

Great
Great
Marvelous
Unbelievable
Excellent
Head-shot

Music sounds a lot like out of AS Code.

now I need to rearrange my SD channel with the artstyle games :) Right now it's vertical because there are 3, now there are 4, so I'll go horizontal :)

Oxx said:
Art Style "Penta Tentacles"
To quote the Simpsons:
*shakes head*
That's the worst name I ever heard

Ushojax said:
Oh God, what a fucking hideous name. The original title of ROTOZOA was so much better, a wink to the microbiology theme and quite catchy. Hopefully NoA stick with that one (I think they will, as it was announced at their conference and is still on their site). I will never understand why the ArtStyle games have been given different names in almost every region.
NoE like to go with literal translations whereever possible. I guess its easier to translate "Penta Tentacles" into FIGS (come to think of it from the name I only just noticed it can be 5 sides/colours at most) rather than looking at ROTOZOA and being slightly confused (though to come to think of it how many Americans end up confused by the name...then again Art Style games have always had slightly goofy names).

Mafro said:
No Light Trax for Europe this week, I'm shocked.
But at least my prediction of No Art Style seems to have been shattered by a late addition from NoE.

I would have thought NoA would release Yoshi's Island this week for Super Mario Galaxy 2's sake. But no they are morons.

If it's not shown at E3...

thomaser

I have a 1gb sd-card, and have filled it up completely with games. Is there a quick way to move everything over to a 2gb card? Can I just copy them over in a computer?

stuminus3

thomaser said:
I have a 1gb sd-card, and have filled it up completely with games. Is there a quick way to move everything over to a 2gb card? Can I just copy them over in a computer?
Yes, you can do this. I moved a whole ton of stuff copying to/from my computer when I realised that my 8GB card was overkill.

Mejilan

thomaser said:

Funny. My 2GB card is almost full. I give it another month, tops.
*le sigh*

Mejilan

Isn't a pentacle like a pentagram? It's not a terrible symbol, but it certainly does have negative connotations in public perception. Devil-worship and assorted silliness.

nincompoop said:
My SD card is filling up too. Is there a homebrew that lets you boot VC/WW games from a USB HD?

I believe there is, by dumping your NAND and using something called Triforce (I think?) to run the NAND via emulation. I've never done it, but I've been tempted to play around with the idea.

Capndrake

VC for Japan next month:

FC:
-Blaster Master
-SD Gundam World: Gachapon Senshi - Scramble Wars

SFC:
-Heisei Shin Onigashima: Kouhen (June 1st)

Neo Geo:
-Karnov's Revenge
-WindJammers

Hmmm... bought Art Style "Penta Tentacles" and hoped it had something cool beyond the trailers, but I didn't find anything yet :/ You just move around, rotate and collect stuff with the according part of your "body". You get awards for completing a stage with no hits, without using the "whirl" power and for "perfect" whatever that means. Three modes, but they are pretty similar. Music is also just standard.

Loved Orbital; but this not so much, even if it has some similarities.

Apenheul

For the last couple of months I haven't actually bought a VC game anymore, so now I have some 900 points left after buying Bit Trip Runner and I'm doubting between these SNES games. Can anyone give me a recommendation?

- Pilotwings (I've only played the N64 version before but I loved it)
- Kirby Super Star (Read many good things about this game)
- Act Raiser (Never played it, not sure if it's my cup of tea but I'm willing to try it)
- DoReMi Fantasy (I like the old capcom/disney platformers and this somehow reminds me of them)

Apenheul said:
For the last couple of months I haven't actually bought a VC game anymore, so now I have some 900 points left after buying Bit Trip Runner and I'm doubting between these SNES games. Can anyone give me a recommendation?

- Pilotwings (I've only played the N64 version before but I loved it)
- Kirby Super Star (Read many good things about this game)
- Act Raiser (Never played it, not sure if it's my cup of tea but I'm willing to try it)
- DoReMi Fantasy (I like the old capcom/disney platformers and this somehow reminds me of them)
Doremi Fantasy. Amazingly charming platformer.

Top Bottom