• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2010

Will probably get Bit.Trip Runner. Looks pretty good.
This actually brought to mind that I completely forgot about Bit.Trip Void. Was it any good? I loved Beat but didn't care for Core.

oatmeal

Banned
Has Nintendo ever covered what they're going to allow when the new Wii follow up comes out?

People have spent a lot of money buying these old games, they really have to be transferrable IMO...right?

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
Netflix/iTunes cover:
- New, modern movies/shows/songs (a few every week)

Not Netflix. The only way a movie released in the last year shows up on the streaming service is if it was a box office bomb.

oatmeal said:
People have spent a lot of money buying these old games, they really have to be transferrable IMO...right?

With the new color being released for Wii, there might've been a thread or dozen on that subject recently.

Edit:
Short answer: Nintendo hasn't talked about their next system, but transferring between current-gen Wiis usually involves sending them both to Nintendo for them to do the transfer.

Completed the first world of Runner, some of the challenge is of the bullshit obstacle-you-have-no-chance-in-hell-of-avoiding-unless-you-already-know-it's-coming variety, and for some reason level 1-11 is literally longer and more difficult than the first 10 levels put together which makes the one hit death rule a pain in the ass, but other than that it's great!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
nincompoop said:
Completed the first world of Runner, some of the challenge is of the bullshit obstacle-you-have-no-chance-in-hell-of-avoiding-unless-you-already-know-it's-coming variety, and for some reason level 1-11 is literally longer and more difficult than the first 10 levels put together which makes the one hit death rule a pain in the ass, but other than that it's great!

Yeah, 1-11 is where I took a break. Still, I love the game and the more rhythm games like this the better.

OnPoint

Ushojax said:
Yeah, 1-11 is where I took a break. Still, I love the game and the more rhythm games like this the better.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that got hung up here. I would have pushed through if I didn't have to go to work, but I worked on that level for a good 15 minutes before having to leave, while completing most of the others in 1 or 2 tries. Hopefully it's not an issue that rides the rest of the game through.

thomaser

I'm halfway in world 2 in Bit.Trip Runner, and think it's by far the most enjoyable game in the series so far. Ok, you have to do a lot of trial-and-error to get through some of the stages, but you start again instantly if you fail, so it feels very hassle-free and isn't as infuriating as it could have been. The one-more-time urge is VERY strong in this one! The controls are perfect, too. Only problem I have is that the constant, high-speed scrolling can be dizzying, especially if you sit near the screen.

Ushojax

thomaser said:
I'm halfway in world 2 in Bit.Trip Runner, and think it's by far the most enjoyable game in the series so far. Ok, you have to do a lot of trial-and-error to get through some of the stages, but you start again instantly if you fail, so it feels very hassle-free and isn't as infuriating as it could have been. The one-more-time urge is VERY strong in this one! The controls are perfect, too. Only problem I have is that the constant, high-speed scrolling can be dizzying, especially if you sit near the screen.

It really is quite addictive. The first boss was a cheap piece of shit but I just couldn't quit until I beat him, the sound design is really nice. I do think it needs too much memorisation, though.

Oli

AmericanNinja said:
hey guys, i just got a dsi xl today. got any dsiware recommendations?

ARt Style Pictobits, Mighty Flip Champs, Mario vs DK minis march again, Rayman, etc.

OnPoint said:
Glad to see I'm not the only one that got hung up here. I would have pushed through if I didn't have to go to work, but I worked on that level for a good 15 minutes before having to leave, while completing most of the others in 1 or 2 tries. Hopefully it's not an issue that rides the rest of the game through.
I just completed World 2 with all coins (except for the bonus levels) and so far 1-11 seems like a complete anamoly, if you ignore that level the game seems to have a perfect difficulty curve. It really makes you wonder what the fuck they were thinking when designing it lol.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
AmericanNinja said:
hey guys, i just got a dsi xl today. got any dsiware recommendations?
First things first. Go and download Flipnote Studio and Photo Dojo. They're free and fun to play around with.

As for games here's the ones I've enjoyed most so far:

Starship Patrol (tower defense)
Trajectile (puzzle)
Dark Void Zero (platformer)
Mighty Flip Champs (action/puzzle)
Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon (pinball)

donny2112

abstract alien said:
Has anyone tried the "3D" dsi game yet? It seems pretty interesting...

Having now played the first two levels, I can give a bit more detail.

• Face-tracking is not perfect. There will be some stuttering at times, and the recommendation about having a contrasting background to your face should be heeded.
  • Definitely taxes your mind to think a little differently than you may be used to, but this is a good thing. :)
  • You collect coins in the levels (think Professor Layton) that can be used for hints, if you get really stuck.
  • There is stuff going on in the levels that can change the level and let you see the image, if you catch it at the right time.
  • Great sense of accomplishment when you find all the hidden pictures in the level, since you've had to turn the DSi all kinds of ways to find all the views to find the pictures and/or use hints.

Regardless of all that, it's well worth the 500 DSi Points to be able to say, "Hey, come over here and check this out!" It's like a moving diorama inside your DSi. :)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Powering up the Wii now to purchase the Bit.Runner and Kirby.
But in the mean time, that Looksley game for DSiWare where you have to hunt for hidden items in a 3D diorama that moves according to camera-based face-tracking is pretty fucking cool! With one caveat: Getting a proper face tone/wall/shirt contrast can be tricky, and without that the "controls" literally break. Thankfully, you can re-calibrate the camera at any time, and the opposite screen rather handily gives you two examples of good calibration and two examples of bad calibration to go by. It helps that the graphics are rather lovely and incredibly sharp by DS resolution standards. The 3D effect is pretty convincing and well handled.

donny2112 said:
Having now played the first two levels, I can give a bit more detail.

• Face-tracking is not perfect. There will be some stuttering at times, and the recommendation about having a contrasting background to your face should be heeded.
  • Definitely taxes your mind to think a little differently than you may be used to, but this is a good thing. :)
  • You collect coins in the levels (think Professor Layton) that can be used for hints, if you get really stuck.
  • There is stuff going on in the levels that can change the level and let you see the image, if you catch it at the right time.
  • Great sense of accomplishment when you find all the hidden pictures in the level, since you've had to turn the DSi all kinds of ways to find all the views to find the pictures and/or use hints.

Regardless of all that, it's well worth the 500 DSi Points to be able to say, "Hey, come over here and check this out!" It's like a moving diorama inside your DSi. :)
Good stuff. I've been pretty intrigued by this title since it's been posted in the 3DS thread, as it really seems to be a different type of puzzle game. I'll bite...this type of thing needs support anyway, especially if its decent. I love innovation and new experiences, so I'm jumpin' in :D

OnPoint

nincompoop said:
I just completed World 2 with all coins (except for the bonus levels) and so far 1-11 seems like a complete anamoly, if you ignore that level the game seems to have a perfect difficulty curve. It really makes you wonder what the fuck they were thinking when designing it lol.

Thank god. That level was starting to sour my enjoyment. I'll just push through.

GeekyDad

OnPoint said:
Thank god. That level was starting to sour my enjoyment. I'll just push through.

Weird thing is for me, the early parts of Zone 1 bordered on spiritual. Then you get to 1-11 and the boss, and it's all a matter of memorization -- bliss becomes loathing.

Oddly enough, though, when I started playing the game with my family and we were passing the controller around, the game really came to life. Rather than one person repeating the same thing over and over...and over again, we all took stabs at it and became this amazing party game. It took a different setting for me to see the game in a completely different light.

Best game in the Bit.Trip series for me.

samratty

I'm liking Bit Trip Runner, reminds me of The Impossible Game a little (I've been playing that as well recently). As others have said 1-11 is a complete ball ache, but apart from that so far it's been great

abstract alien said:
Has anyone tried the "3D" dsi game yet? It seems pretty interesting...
It reminds me of the really early DSiWare Wario game. In that I can never seem to get a good coloring/lighting location so the necessary camera functionality works.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
JoshuaJSlone said:
It reminds me of the really early DSiWare Wario game. In that I can never seem to get a good coloring/lighting location so the necessary camera functionality works.
don't quote me on that, but i belive that the face tracking functionality is a standard dsi library, which is also used in the picture editing software. so whatever works for you in the face-retouching filters in the built-in camera app - similar conditions should satisfy looksley.

note to self: how did i miss the release of that game?! *puts a reminder on phone*

OnPoint

samratty said:
I'm liking Bit Trip Runner, reminds me of The Impossible Game a little (I've been playing that as well recently). As others have said 1-11 is a complete ball ache, but apart from that so far it's been great

it reminds me of cannabalt

sfried

Looksey game is pretty cool. It can get tedius aligning some of the hidden picks at times but thankfully the selector is very forgiving, so sometimes I just eyeball it and guess if it might end up revealing something, and most times it does (for the hidden pictures, especially).

Haven't used any hints so far.

zigg

I need to get Runner after I'm done with Galaxy 2. (Right?) Haven't been buying near as much WiiWare as DSiWare lately :)

Squeak

When the feck is Cave Story out in EU?!! It's been ages since it was released in US. I have 2000 points just sitting there waiting or it, and I'm not going to buy anything else until that comes out.

Mafro

Squeak

Mafro said:
It's still coming...http://wiiware.nintendolife.com/news/2010/05/cave_story_confirmed_for_australia

If it was released here around the same time as the US, I would have bought it straight away. Now I've pretty much lost all interest in it.
I'll be there in a couble of weeks, after that, they can go to hell. It's just ridiculous. There is no reason it should take any time at all. It's a freaking downloadable 2d game FFS!! Even if they still have to pay curtsy to those few sad weirdos left with PAL tv's from the 70's.

Mafro

It's a ridiculous situation when you see games on XBLA coming out in the US and Europe at exactly the same time.

Squeak said:
I'll be there in a couble of weeks, after that, they can go to hell. It's just ridiculous. There is no reason it should take any time at all. It's a freaking downloadable 2d game FFS!! Even if they still have to pay curtsy to those few sad weirdos left with PAL tv's from the 70's.

It took Nicalis a while to get the game to work for NOA. I imagine it'll be some time before it comes out in Europe.

Isn't that the case with Blaster Master: Overdrive, too?

sfried

TheUnknownForce said:
It took Nicalis a while to get the game to work for NOA. I imagine it'll be some time before it comes out in Europe.
The funny thing? Cave Story originally ran at 50 fps, the native PAL refresh rate.

The only thing I'm concerned is the fixes in audio, and hopefully a US update won't be long off.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Caesar III said:
I hope there is some SD channel update at E3. Half my games are on SD and I cannot access them :(
i'm starting to develop an obsesson with always maintaining a minimum of free on-board flash for those impulsive dsiware downloads - to be told at the last moment that you're out of space for a download is quite annoying. i'm starting to feel like a little DRM robot - move data here, stick data there, rinse, repeat. beep beep.

blu said:
i'm starting to develop an obsesson with always maintaining a minimum of free on-board flash for those impulsive dsiware downloads - to be told at the last moment that you're out of space for a download is quite annoying. i'm starting to feel like a little DRM robot - move data here, stick data there, rinse, repeat. beep beep.
:lol
yeah! I've 120 blocks left right now too to have some space for a potential game tonight or something :D My SD Card on the other hand is not nearly full :(

yeah!

no game today on dsiware for me ;-)

Ferrari Challenge - 800
rerelease of the retail I guess since the game sounds and looks familiar to me

disco light - 200
exactly what you expect it to be! your dsi is your disco light blinking to your music yay -_-

more crosswords - 200
a crossword game obviously

flip (something, can't remember) - 200
it's an interactive book with 3 short stories published exclusively by ea

sorry if something is missing!

/typed on DSi ;-)

Cool.

I dig Aero the Acrobat.

Just as long as it's the SNES version and not the Genesis version. This is one of those times that, despite my being a Genesis aficionado, I'm going to have to go with the Ninty version.

Glix

When Lookseys works right, its utter brillance. Like someone else said, its alot like the DSI warioware game in that its hard to get it to work right.

The DS3d needs a much better camera, so amazing games like these can be hassle free.

Lijik

Caesar III said:
disco light - 200
exactly what you expect it to be! your dsi is your disco light blinking to your music yay -_-
I want this to come to the US just so I can hear the reaction to it on the bombcast.

Okay, so I finally took the time to beat Eduardo the Samurai Toaster after it was gifted to me. Thanks again for giving it away, guys! Now, time for some critiquing.

First of all, the game is bad, under any stretch of the imagination. The problems that appear, however, make the game simply "okay" which is hard to sell, from my perspective. I know the game is mimicking arcade shooters such as Metal Slug, and it does a number of things correctly. However, it stumbles at a few key areas which drag it down a lot.

1) No bosses. Seriously, one of the biggest aspects of these games are the massive or unique bosses. I do give credit to the miniboss enemies, but it becomes hard to really see the end of a level as nothing more than a slew of enemies. Even if it had one or two bosses, it would have helped the game have closure.

2) Oversimplification of HUD. All you have are two bars: health and attack. The opening is very nice and pretty atmospheric, but then as you play, it becomes hard to track what level you are in. There is also no score at all, thus negating a lot of the arcade experience in the title. At one point, I don't know when one level starts and the next begins. I would have liked even a "you win" jingle or something to signify the end. And no score makes it somewhat pointless to attack everything (though for a time, it was fun).

3) Level Design Starts Slow. The game drags on early, which is a very bad thing for a game to do of this type. One level is literally a single path, straight, and that is it. I did find this problem less so as the game went on; in fact, about four or five of the levels actually had unique obstacles, backgrounds, music, and design in general that really distinguished each level. Those were great. The others were only okay. I appreciate the background styles, though.

4) BOMBARDMENT. While the level design improves, the enemy placement dissolves. This ties in with 1, mainly because the end of levels become nothing more than "send all the enemies you've fought in the game out at once." Unfortunately, especially in the last two levels or so, flying enemies become hard to hit, especially because so many enemies are attacking from the ground. You attack melee style when enemies are near, but when so many are around, that is all you do. Top it off with no score, so the game feels like it is trying to lengthen itself artificially with enemy swarms. It makes battles long, frustrating, and boring.

The last level is perhaps the worst contender for this...
The last level's last section has you go around in a large circle TWO OR THREE TIMES before moving onward. And the final boss is a string of one type of enemy. It was a very annoying experience to me at the time. And the actual "end" had little effect. There was never any plot or any substance....

Now, the premise is unique, the backgrounds are damn good, and the music is just as good. The gameplay is definitely there, but it is a few big steps from getting there. I can't really place how something like a samurai toaster fighting bees on a segway can feel empty, but the way it was released, it felt like it was.

I liked the experience, for what its worth. Semnat Studios could definitely do something good in the future, but from what I hear, that won't be happening. I only played it with myself, but my brother refused to play it after seeing a couple levels. Shame, because I bet it is a lot more fun being an ass to your friends throwing each other around.

donny2112

chixdiggit said:
So is Looksley a buy or what? Seems like it has some troubles.

It's absolutely a buy. It absolutely has some troubles with the face-tracking. It'll stutter some, and you definitely want to heed the in-game instructions for telling when it has a good read on your face. That by no means detracts enough from the experience (in my opinion) to make the game anything less than a must buy. Again, it's well worth the $5 to just be able to show it off to people. The game itself is pretty good, too, though. :)

Ushojax

Uh, FUCK Bit Trip Runner. I was cruising through the third world with only a couple of restarts, and then I got stuck on 3-10. I just kept trying over and over for about 2 hours before I finally beat that piece of shit. I like the game, but the relaxing platforming of the first world was much better than some of the brutal torture they force you through later on. If your game requires memorisation to beat, you've made a mistake somewhere.

Ushojax said:
Uh, FUCK Bit Trip Runner. I was cruising through the third world with only a couple of restarts, and then I got stuck on 3-10. I just kept trying over and over for about 2 hours before I finally beat that piece of shit. I like the game, but the relaxing platforming of the first world was much better than some of the brutal torture they force you through later on. If your game requires memorisation to beat, you've made a mistake somewhere.
You went into a bit.trip game expecting it to NOT be brutally difficult? :lol

Ushojax

nincompoop said:
You went into a bit.trip game expecting it to NOT be brutally difficult? :lol

Nah, I expected it to have a proper difficulty curve like the other games. Runner is mostly a piece of cake with a few soul-destroying stages sprinkled randomly.

The soul destroying stages weren't sprinkled in randomly, they all came at the end of the game. It's not like the game was a piece of cake before that either; while World 2 was perhaps easier than it should have been (I perfected all of the stages, including the bonus stages, in World 2 without much difficulty), the difficulty ramps up quite nicely throughout World 3. The last few stages don't really throw any new challenges at you, they just feature a high concentration of the more challenging obstacle arrangements introduced in the world's first nine levels. Of course there's memorization involved but that's true of every bit.trip game.

Top Bottom