• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2010

zigg

Stumpokapow said:
It's true, though, it does have an "If you like <x>, you'll like <y>"

I'm done with my earlier line of discussion, this is a totally different tack:

Has anyone ever found these sorts of things to work? I must just have strange tastes and confuse the system, or something, but I don't think I've ever received a recommendation from any site or service that has ever remotely been on-target. It's either something that I know right off won't appeal, or it's something I'll try and find out I hate it. About the only exception is Amazon recommending me CDs that I already own.

Lijik

So I was watching Flapjack on my DVR, and while fastfowarding through the commercials I saw something that made me do a double take and rewind.

Nintendo is advertising Photo Dojo on TV.
Has this happened before for any game on any of the console downloadable services? It seems so weird to me this is the game that gets tv treatment.

Somnid

Lijik said:
So I was watching Flapjack on my DVR, and while fastfowarding through the commercials I saw something that made me do a double take and rewind.

Nintendo is advertising Photo Dojo on TV.
Has this happened before for any game on any of the console downloadable services? It seems so weird to me this is the game that gets tv treatment.

If I recall Pokemon Rumble got a few. But Photo Dojo is a riot (for 15 minutes), it's great advertisement material.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
zigg said:
Has anyone ever found these sorts of things to work? I must just have strange tastes and confuse the system, or something, but I don't think I've ever received a recommendation from any site or service that has ever remotely been on-target. It's either something that I know right off won't appeal, or it's something I'll try and find out I hate it. About the only exception is Amazon recommending me CDs that I already own.
i've found that it usually works among peers - similar tastes, etc, but not so much with those sales statistics - the fact that somebody randomly got a metroid game does not mean that all the imagineZ titles they normally enjoy would be of interest to me. and the situation with most game review sites, as much as they try to be the 'peer's voice', it seldom works - it'd be either that i don't have much in common with the reviewer, or they are plain insincere (and it shows).

Yagharek

Bit.Trip Runner is insane. I guess you would call it a cross between Rez and Pitfall but that would be too obvious. Simple concept that gets very tricky very quickly.

I'm glad it doesnt have a 'lives' system. :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
RandomVince said:
Bit.Trip Runner is insane. I guess you would call it a cross between Rez and Pitfall but that would be too obvious. Simple concept that gets very tricky very quickly.

I'm glad it doesnt have a 'lives' system. :lol

Holy shit going to download now, it's out!?

Dash Kappei

Damn, Runner is 800 points... if anybody's interested, case 5 of Phoenix Wright 1 it's just 100 points.

Europe Releases:
From Nintendolife

Bit.Trip, Phoenix and Ghouls on the Wii, fire-fighting, platforming action and brain busting on the DSi this week in Europa

-WiiWare

Bit.Trip RUNNER (800pts - Aksys Games) -- Europe gets the first try at the latest entry in the minimalist, retro-rhythm game series from Gaijin Games. We loved the time we spent playing the final release version, so if you want to re-up your hype factor re-read our Bit.Trip RUNNER preview!

Looks like European Phoenix Wright fans eagerly awaiting the 3rd instalment, Trials and Tribulations will have a bit longer to wait, but at least you'll have Episode 5 of the first game to tide you over until then. Phoenix Wright Episode 5 will set you back a mere 100 Points. In case you missed it, check out our Phoenix Wright review to find out if this case merits further investigation. Naturally you will need to own that game in order to download the additional content.
Virtual Console

Ghoul Patrol (800pts SNES - LucasArts) -- This sequel to Zombies has been out in North America for a few months, but better late than never we always say. Read our Ghoul Patrol review to see if it's worth your hard-earned points.

-DSiWare

AiRace (500pts - QubicGames) -- Europe's reward for waiting a month for this aeroplane racing game is a 300 Point discount off the North American premium price - not too shabby, eh? Read our AiRace review and learn why we strongly recommend this one for racing fans.

Brain Drain (500pts - Enjoy Gaming) -- A puzzle game from Enjoy Gaming is one of two brand-new DSiWare releases this week in Europe. The WiiWare version has already been released in North America, so our Brain Drain review will give you an idea of what to expect. Naturally we'll have a review of the DSiWare version soon.

Chronos Twins (500pts - EnjoyUp Games) -- The long wait is over action-platforming fans, as Chronos Twins finally comes to the European DSi Shop. To find out what the fuss is about read our Chronos Twins review!

Fire Panic (200pts - Playtainment) -- Yullaby's DSiWare debut is a simple puzzle game where players need to route a fire truck to put out fires around town. It looks like it could offer the fun of an ancient 8-bit console game at a budget price. We'll report on whether or not the gameplay lives up to the images in our upcoming review.

Sudoku Challenge! (500pts - Digital Leisure) -- We weren't terribly impressed with this latest in a seemingly endless string of downloadable sudoku games for the DSi. Read our Sudoku Challenge! review to find out why.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/KUiXqEUMk394XPQHwOgSCesqY4qrOEv1
Art Style: light trax

687ajtOammpCFYCQ1xuSTKz7Ro7omToP.jpg

Release Date: May 24, 2010

Bit.Trip next week, Art Style the week after. Fuck yeah.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Stumpokapow said:
From my cart collection, not released:

SNES/SFC
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Mario and Wario, Nintendo's best puzzle game ever
ActRaiser 2
Aerobiz
Aerobiz Supersonic
Big Sky Trooper
Captain Commando
Captain Novolin
Chrono Trigger
Clue!
Darius Twin
Dino City
Doom
Drakkhen
Earthbound
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy III/VI
Hit the Ice
Illusion of Gaia
Joe and Mac
Knights of the Round
Lagoon
Lord of the Rings
Mario is Missing
Mario's Time Machine
Math Blaster
Mega Man X
Monopoly
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
Pac-Man 2
Phantom 2040
Q-Bert 3
Rex Ronan
Robotrek
SOS
Shaq Fu
SimEarth (SNES)
Skyblazer
Spanky's Quest
Star Fox
Star Trek Starfleet Academy
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Widget
Thomas the Tank
Uniracers

NES
Bucky O'Hare
Dr. Mario
Dragon Warrior
DuckTales
Faxanadu
MC Kids
Rampage
Snoopy's Sports
Where's Waldo
Yo! Noid

N64
Blast Corps
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Goldeneye 007
Mischief Makers
Pokemon Stadium
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Star Wars SOTE

Genesis
Aladdin

I don't really own a lot of carts, but just looking at the stuff I own alone there's no shortage of games that would be great on the service and aren't there yet, even categorically excluding licensed games.

Just off the top of my head, the following games I don't own and would want on VC:
Adventures of 3d World-Runner (NES)
Chip 'n' Dale Rescue Rangers 1/2 (NES)
Crystalis (NES)
DuckTales 2 (NES)
The Guardian Legend (NES)
Doom 64 (N64)
Mission: Impossible (N64)
Pilotwings 64 (N64)
EVO: The Search for Eden (SNES)
Goof Troop (SNES)
Hook (SNES)
Secret of Evermore (SNES)
Soul Blazer (SNES)
Sunset Riders (SNES)
Terranigma (Euro SNES)
Turtles in Time (SNES)

Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)

So, no, if we're asking them to actually make an effort on this stuff, they're not even close to done.

these all really bother me when i think about them. i imagine a world in which i flip between DUCK TALES 2 and BLAST CORPS and it's a beautiful world, stump. it really is.

Oxx

I'll check my Wii Shop account later today. If I already have 800 points I'll buy Bit Trip Runner. If not I'll wait on it.

Oxx

Oxx said:
I'll check my Wii Shop account later today. If I already have 800 points I'll buy Bit Trip Runner. If not I'll wait on it.

Ha! I had 700 points. Shouldn't have increased the price for Runner...

Photo Dojo is so ridiculously fun when you play it with someone else. My brother was home tonight, so he made a character that was all British and polite, which was quite amusing when we were actually fighting against each other.

Dash Kappei

Holy cow Art Style: light trax it's the sequel/improved port of that awesome Bitstream GBA game I own (jpn only)! Hopefully it'll keep its awesomness even if it's not portable anymore :)

GeekyDad

Fewr said:
So, what are we unhappy about now that Cave Story and Photo Dojo are out?

There is always something to complain about.

Hopefully, the morning news will be good to us, though.

Just because Nintendo offers a rich selection of downloadable games doesn't mean you have to be rich to enjoy them. Available for just 500 Nintendo DSi Points™ apiece, Looksley's Line Up™ and Frogger Returns for the Nintendo DSiWare™ service offer immersive virtual world fun and arcade-inspired thrills, respectively, at a budget-friendly price. Check out the complete lineup of incredible titles for the hand-held Nintendo DSi™ system, and while you're at it, be sure to download the hilarious new Photo Dojo™ game, available for zero Nintendo DSi Points through June 10 (the game will require 200 Nintendo DSi Points for download as of June 11).

BIT.TRIP RUNNER marks a fresh installment in one of the WiiWare™ service's most acclaimed game series, while the Super NES™ classic Kirby Super Star™ arrives on the Virtual Console™ service, each available to download for only 800 Wii Points™. Also, fans of Band Hero for the Wii™ system can be among the first to play the new Band Hero 1 Track Pack, featuring music from Miley Cyrus ("7 Things"), Selena Gomez ("Falling Down") and Demi Lovato ("Here We Go Again"). This pack will be exclusive to Wii for one week starting May 18, 2010.

This week also brings new additions to the "Big Name Games" section of the WarioWare™: D.I.Y. series, featuring downloadable microgames from some of the industry's most talented figures. Gary and Allison, hosts of the Nintendo Channel's "Nintendo Week" program, have each created an original microgame to add to the series' wild mix. New "Big Name Games" will be added every Monday through July 26, all available to download for zero Nintendo DSi Points to anyone with broadband Internet access and a copy of either WarioWare: D.I.Y. for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems or WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase software for the WiiWare service. Visit the Nintendo Channel on your Wii™ system today to learn more about these games and to get a look at Gary and Allison's imaginative creations.

Nintendo DSiWare

Looksley's Line Up
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Looksley the rabbit needs your assistance to finish the story he's writing. Guide him through a world based on famous fairy tales and folk stories from around the globe, helping him to gather inspiration by finding hidden items along the way. In this unique take on hidden-picture games, you'll move the Nintendo DSi system to change your view of various 3-D dioramas. Peer deeply into the scene as you shift the system, watching as layers within the diorama move to reveal previously unseen letters and objects. As you collect these letters and objects, you'll meet new characters and spell words that will open additional stages with more sets of hidden items to find. Particular stages contain secret pictures, testing your observation skills even further. Scour each scene's incredible depth and detail as you lend Looksley a hand in completing his masterpiece. Players of all ages will love this visual puzzle challenge and be amazed to see that even the same spot can look different from another angle.

Frogger Returns
Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Frogger is coming to a Nintendo DSi system near you! Frogger Returns takes the heart-pounding challenge of arcade Frogger and moves it into the next dimension. Classic top-down 2-D game play is updated with colorful 3-D graphics, a new perspective, new levels, new enemies and game-changing power-ups to dodge and use. Four stages take the original journey of Frogger from highway to home through a new adventure. Use multiple modes to attack your top scores, race against the clock or just get Frogger to his home pad.

A Topsy Turvy Life: Turvy Drops™
Publisher: TECMO KOEI GAMES
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Turn the Nintendo DSi system upside down and draw blocks on the touch screen to fill spaces in this topsy-turvy take on puzzle games. Play "Endless Mode" to see just how many points you can get as the blocks on the bottom screen fill faster and faster. The more blocks you clear at once, the higher your score. Play "Puzzle Mode" to test your brain against 30 mind-bending puzzles. Clear all the blocks within the specified time and turn limits. Can you solve the puzzles before time is up?

Flips: More Bloody Horowitz
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Anthony Horowitz, the best-selling creator of Alex Rider, gives horror a whole new look in this mischievous collection of macabre tales, exclusive to the Flips series. Including three new stories – each with its own unique feature, such as illustrations and sound effects – Flips: More Bloody Horowitz finds Horowitz at his most wicked. The Flips series brings modern classics to the Nintendo DSiWare service, allowing readers to collect, solve, interact and learn as they progress through the various stories and challenges.

WiiWare

BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Publisher: Aksys Games
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Discover the fastest, most exhilarating action-platformer to hit the WiiWare service. Race across the moon, kicking down crystal walls and sliding under chomping moon-slugs. Bound through the Robotic Mines and face off against the MinerMech. Dash through the Big City on a quest to find friends and defeat the final boss together. RUNNER is the fourth entry in the award-winning and critically acclaimed BIT.TRIP series. You control CommanderVideo as he runs, jumps, slides and kicks. With exciting modern and retro challenges, you can move through more than 50 levels of addictive game play. Chiptune supergroup Anamanaguchi makes a guest appearance. Join CommanderVideo on his most epic journey yet!

Blood Beach
Publisher: Coresoft Inc.
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) – Blood, Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Description: You are hopelessly outnumbered and have no choice but to fight and win. Just you, your guns and the thin stretch of Blood Beach stand between you and the entire Japanese Imperial Navy. You have an impressive arsenal of weapons, including the M2 BMG, 40mm M1 and, of course, your Thompson SMG. But the Imperial Japanese Navy will hit you with everything they can muster – "Zeros," "Bettys" and even Takao-class battleships – in their methodical and relentless push to recapture the Solomon Islands. High scores can be saved for Easy, Normal and Hard levels of difficulty.

Virtual Console

Kirby Super Star
Original platform: Super NES
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1-2
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: That awful King Dedede is at it again – he's stolen all the food in Dream Land. It's up to Kirby™ to get it back and ultimately save Pop Star from being overtaken. In what may be the most diverse adventure yet for the round, pink hero, Kirby journeys through six main games and two minigames, finishing with the ultimate showdown in The Arena. Each game offers its own story and style of platforming action, as well as unique environments and an assortment of enemies. Swallowing an enemy allows Kirby to copy the abilities of that enemy, granting him the power to perform special attacks and giving him a new hat to don. In a strategic twist, Kirby can now give up an acquired ability and use it to turn an enemy into a helper. The helper will follow Kirby around and automatically fight as his ally or offer a second player the chance to join in the game by controlling it. There's never a dull moment as Kirby dashes, flies and swallows enemies in his battle against King Dedede, Dyna Blade and Meta Knight.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.
Wooo Kirby!

Oli

Wow, that's actually incredibly surprising. I would buy it if I didn't already own the DS version.

Hobbun

Good to see Kirby, but we need some third party (Nintendo consoles) games put on the VC just to show they are going to again. The Soul Blazer series would be a nice start.

Lijik

Total disappointment on that Flips description, but I guess you just can't top the magic of Saucepan Man and land of Takewhatyouwant.

Yay for Kirby, Bit.Trip Runner and Looksleys!

OHHHH. Now we know why Nintendo didn't release a VC game for the past two weeks. It's cause they're releasing eight games this week!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can I just call attention to one of the things in the PR:

This week also brings new additions to the "Big Name Games" section of the WarioWare™: D.I.Y. series, featuring downloadable microgames from some of the industry's most talented figures. Gary and Allison, hosts of the Nintendo Channel's "Nintendo Week" program, have each created an original microgame to add to the series' wild mix.

Samuray

I would be sooo excited for "Looksley's Line Up", but it's not even certain if it will be released in Europe at all. Even asked Nintendo last week, they claim there are "currently no plans".

Fularu

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Can I just call attention to one of the things in the PR:

It isn't implied that they are among the most talented. Just that those two also made some micro games.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Fularu said:
It isn't implied that they are among the most talented. Just that those two also made some micro games.
and even if we assume those two were talented, the PR did not specify what they were talented at ; )

sfried

Yay! Another reason to but Kirby Super Star the second time around since I already have the original SNES cart.

Oh wait, should I just get Super Star Ultra instead?

Stumpokapow said:
I don't really want to get into the same old song and dance, but I don't think anyone can really argue that this scenario played out with iTunes or Netflix or any other comparable service.
Those services don't exclusively cover long-dead platforms, either.
Nintendo said:
Looksley's Line Up
It is probably a bad thing that hearing about this game makes me think "ARGH NOT AGAIN".

HOLY CRAP KIRBY SUPERSTAR!!! YEEEESSSS!!! :D :D :D

How ironic that Nintendo choose to release a VC game just before Mario Galaxy 2. We all think it might be Yoshi's Island and it ends up being Kirby :lol

Still, I'm not complaining :D (NOA better not be thinking that this excuses the last two weeks, or enables them to skip out more weeks for VC releases. I may be happy now, but you can't pull the wool over my eyes...)

Will pick up Bit Trip Runner as well at some point. Still yet to buy Bit Trip Core!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
Those services don't exclusively cover long-dead platforms, either.

To me it seems that the balance is relatively similar.

Nintendo's online service covers:
- Classic games (thousands)
- Modern updates of classic games (few in number, comparatively and ongoing)
- New, modern games (a few every week)

Netflix/iTunes cover:
- Classic movies/shows/songs (thousands)
- Rereleases or remixes of classic movies/shows/songs (few in number, comparatively and ongoing)
- New, modern movies/shows/songs (a few every week)

zigg

Princess Skittles said:
It looks worth it just for the gimmick alone, IMO.

Face-tracking itself is also available in Move Your Brain: Rollway Puzzle on DSiWare—a marble-rolling game that uses the camera for tilt. I found it to be pretty rough, though; wouldn't recommend it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Princess Skittles said:
It looks worth it just for the gimmick alone, IMO.

Yeah, I have no real love for hidden item games, but shifting the view via face-tracking sounds like a pretty awesome twist. Assuming it tracks reliably.

Provider

Mejilan said:
Looksley sounds interesting.
Worth it?

It's cool, there are a lot of things to find, like coins, letters and some figures, but you have to be in a room with the right light and a contrasting background to make it work.

bryehn

Runner is great, probably my favourite Bit.Trip title and I'm only 5 levels in! The Pitfall! bonus level is priceless. Music is great too

Complaint: no CC support. My big, Arthritsed hands get sore holding the Wii Remote sideways.

Topsy Turvy Life looks like it has potential to be pretty cool. From what I can tell, its a falling block game where you draw the pieces to clear a line on the bottom screen, while making chains to clear more lines.

The question I have is did they find a way to make it more interesting that just drawing the inverse of the bottom screen over and over again.

bryehn said:
Runner is great, probably my favourite Bit.Trip title and I'm only 5 levels in! The Pitfall! bonus level is priceless. Music is great too

Complaint: no CC support. My big, Arthritsed hands get sore holding the Wii Remote sideways.

is it different enough from the The Impossible Game though?

OMG Aero

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Wow, I was going to pick up Ultra on the DS but now I'll get the original for $8. This is great news.
If I were you I would pay extra to get the DS version.
It is massively better than the original.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
OMG Aero said:
If I were you I would pay extra to get the DS version.
It is massively better than the original.

If I were anyone, I'd pay less to get the original.
It is massive better than the DS version.

The DS version adds some relatively forgettable content, has poopytrim controls and bad FMV compression.

Stumpokapow said:
If I were anyone, I'd pay less to get the original.
It is massive better than the DS version.

The DS version adds some relatively forgettable content, has poopytrim controls and bad FMV compression.

The biggest concern with the DS version (which I did still love, because honestly, it's still Superstar) was that the difficulty seemed to be adjusted downward compared to the SNES version. Maybe I was hallucinating that, but I did try to go back to the original and still noticed it.

Top Bottom