• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

batbeg

Okay... I think I have it.

NyxQuest (1000)
SMB3 (500)
SMB Lost Levels (600)
Toki Tori (900)
Bubble Bobble Plus (800)

This brings me to 3800, or 1500 left. I'd like to get WoG, but I honestly didn't care much for the demo I tried on Steam, plus it's a lot for just one title. So I'm not bothering with that. I want one of the Bit.Trip games (someone tell me which is the better!), so I'll have 900 points left.

C'mon GAF, what can I get with these last 900 points? :D (It is a PAL machine btw, in case the points seem different to you or anything)

Of what I played, Toki Tori, Mega Man 9, and World of Goo are my top recommendations. I would tread lightly with LIT, since not everyone is crazy for it, but I thought it was a great game.

Lit isn't out yet in EU. But it's a must-buy for him once it comes out, especially since the EU version is supposed to fix the problem of accidentally turning off a lamp and killing yourself when trying to use an item.

entremet

Nice. Finally a perfectly emulated Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The last one was the from the Saturn Gem Collections. Now time to wait for the U.S. release.

Busy week for my Japanese Wii!

-Sonic and Knuckles (MD, Sega)
-Castlevania Adventure: ReBirth (Konami, 1000pts)
-Shadow Walker: Kage no Shounen to Hikari no Yousei (Game Arts, 1000pts)

:D

Neo Samus

entrement said:
Nice. Finally a perfectly emulated Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The last one was the from the Saturn Gem Collections. Now time to wait for the U.S. release.

Just Curious....Did you mean Sonic Jam?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Zombies Ate My Neighbors--FINALLY!

Baconbitz

Banned
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: NINTENDO OFFERS DOWNLOADABLE HALLOWEEN FUN FROM AXE TO ZOMBIES

Oct. 26, 2009

Boo! As the year's spookiest holiday draws near, this week's additions to the Wii™ Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi™ Shop are ready to put some extra chills and thrills into your Halloween week. The WiiWare™ service invites you to explore a ghostly mansion or face menacing foes in a new Tales of Monkey Island adventure. On the Virtual Console™, battle zombies and other supernatural creatures in a Super NES™ classic, or ward off evil forces in the legendary arcade game Golden Axe™. For Nintendo DSiWare™ users, a portable PictureBook Games™ title delivers nifty tricks, while sudoku solvers are in for a real treat. And speaking of treats, Wii owners who have their Wii consoles connected to the Internet should check out the Nintendo Week show on Nintendo Channel for an exclusive WiiWare announcement of a fresh take on an 8-bit classic.

WiiWare

Ghost Mansion Party
Publisher: Gameloft
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Description: Fazzy the ghost has been locked out of his mansion by some evil spooks, and he's willing to give his treasure to anyone who can chase them out. Work cooperatively and competitively with friends and family to defeat the ghosts and discover a huge hidden treasure. Travel around this wild mansion in board-game fashion, landing on mini-games that everyone can enjoy. You'll even engage in challenges on the board itself as you try to collect magic scrolls and hints to reveal the secret word that will open the doors to the treasure. Get your Wii Remote™ controllers ready - you're about to play with them in ways you've never imagined.

Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 3
Publisher: Telltale Games
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Comic Mischief, Language, Mild Suggestive Themes
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: In the third Tales of Monkey Island chapter, Guybrush gets in deep - literally - as his quest for the voodoo exfoliating La Esponja Grande takes a scenic detour through the guts of a giant manatee. Our hero encounters a surprising band of castaways, including the long-lost explorer Coronado De Cava. Can the Mighty Pirate win the suspicious De Cava's trust? Will sexy pirate hunter Morgan LeFlay prove to be a ruthless enemy or an unlikely ally? Will the group find La Esponja Grande in time to save Elaine from the rampant Pox of LeChuck? And will the world be crushed by the gnashing teeth of a certain demonic skull? Tales of Monkey Island's moist and absorbing third episode, "Lair of the Leviathan," will answer some of these urgent questions and raise even more as the five-month adventure builds to its epic climax.

Virtual Console

Zombies Ate My Neighbors™
Publisher: LucasArts
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Cartoon Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: You will play the game as one of two brave kids: Zeke or Julie. Both kids use the same control scheme and have the same characteristics. If you're playing in two-player mode, each player must pick a kid. You can't have two Zekes or two Julies. Each player starts with three lives. When your life bar runs out, you lose a life. There are hidden 1-Up bonuses in the game. You may also earn bonus lives if you have 10 victims left when you finish a level. Get ready to conquer 48 levels of giant ants, mad scientists and big babies. Find seven bonus levels (look for the question marks), earn points and stockpile your water pistols and other weapons.

Golden Axe
Publisher: SEGA
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Blood, Fantasy Violence
Price: 900 Wii Points
Description: In this original arcade game that launched the popular Golden Axe series, the evil Death Adder has invaded your land and taken the king and princess prisoner. Three mighty warriors step forward to bring the villain to justice: powerful fighter Ax Battler, Amazon warrior Tyris Flare and mighty dwarf Gilius Thunderhead. They will use their weapons and magic to fight their way through Death Adder's hordes. Along the way, they'll mount fearsome, fire-spitting beasts to help even the odds. Team up with a friend and enjoy two-player simultaneous game play for a better chance of survival.

Nintendo DSiWare

PictureBook Games: The Royal Bluff
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Aristocratic opponents square off in PictureBook Games: The Royal Bluff, a game of strategy and deceit. Compete for points by adding or subtracting colored chips from rows on the game board and trying to guess each of your opponent's secretly assigned chip colors. Once you're confident in your deduction, issue a Call Out attempt to earn bonus points - at the risk of giving your opponent an extra point if you're wrong. Three modes of play (Tournament, Free Play, DS Wireless Play) offer a variety of options, from facing off against an assortment of computer opponents to competing in a wireless match with up to four players. Throw Trick Cards into the mix and you've got a winning combination of tactics and trickery that's sure to score points.

SUDOKU
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: SUDOKU offers hundreds of number-crunching puzzles that will stretch your brain power to the limit. Take it even further by playing in the exclusive Newspaper Mode. Add a daily puzzle from your favorite paper and build your very own collection. From Easy to Insane, a total of five different levels are available for novices and masters alike. Enjoy a host of grid designs that will keep you coming back for more. This worldwide phenomenon delivers an exhilarating game of logic that's not only challenging, but also surprisingly relaxing. It's everything you want for a quick puzzle getaway. Make life easier by taking advantage of smart features like automatic annotation for effortless calculation of your achievements. Stumped? Get help with error-checking tools and friendly cell hints. Track your stats and test your reaction time with the in-game timer. This addictive brain game has been polished to perfection and renders a sleek design that's easy on the eyes.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

[Nintex]

And speaking of treats, Wii owners who have their Wii consoles connected to the Internet should check out the Nintendo Week show on Nintendo Channel for an exclusive WiiWare announcement of a fresh take on an 8-bit classic.
What game are they talking about?

ZAMN!!!, 2 VC games! HOLY CRAP AWESOME! :D

Which version of ZAMN is it? Edit: Yay, it's the SNES one!

Could someone please upload the new Nintendo week vid to youtube when it hits, I'm gonna be away from my Wii for the next week and I'd love to see the CV Rebirth footage!

radcliff

Nuclear Muffin said:
ZAMN!!!, 2 VC games! HOLY CRAP AWESOME! :D

Which version of ZAMN is it?

From the PR description:

"On the Virtual Console™, battle zombies and other supernatural creatures in a Super NES™ classic."

You will play the game as one of two brave kids: Zeke or Julie. Both kids use the same control scheme and have the same characteristics. If you're playing in two-player mode, each player must pick a kid. You can't have two Zekes or two Julies. Each player starts with three lives. When your life bar runs out, you lose a life. There are hidden 1-Up bonuses in the game. You may also earn bonus lives if you have 10 victims left when you finish a level.

I can`t tell if this description is trying to be funny or not.

Description: You will play the game as one of two brave kids: Zeke or Julie. Both kids use the same control scheme and have the same characteristics. If you're playing in two-player mode, each player must pick a kid. You can't have two Zekes or two Julies. Each player starts with three lives. When your life bar runs out, you lose a life. There are hidden 1-Up bonuses in the game. You may also earn bonus lives if you have 10 victims left when you finish a level.

That's a really odd description

HUELEN10

[Nintex] said:
We'll know at noon eastern! Out of curiosity, what makes some of you think it's Castlevania? Curious is all. Whatever it is, I hope it's awesome!

bryehn

HUELEN10 said:
We'll know at noon eastern! Out of curiosity, what makes some of you think it's Castlevania? Curious is all. Whatever it is, I hope it's awesome!

The fact that Castlevania Rebirth is out in Japan this week.

botticus

[Nintex] said:
I would assume it's Castlevania. I think they already mentioned it at the end of the last Nintendo Week. Halloween episode is this week!

I honestly don't know if I've ever played Zombies Ate My Neighbors. But I've been wanting to for a while.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
just popping in to say that ZAMN amongst two VC releases this week is awesome. Though I can't tell if they are trying to be funny with the ZAMN description or not. I mean that's just baaadd... funny baddd... just hoping that's what they were going for.

just when you think VC is all but dead, they go and pull a great release week like this for it.

though Golden Axe is kind of eh...... on the one hand the graphical upgrade over the Genesis is a given. on the other hand, IMHO the Genesis version is the better version with more levels and more responsive controls. unfortunately I don't think it's really worth $17 to own both of them. :(

sfog

evilromero said:
I have the Genesis version of ZAMN. What's the main difference with the SNES one?

The SNES version has better sound and music, and slightly better graphics, although I actually prefer the screen display in the Genesis version more (the map is always visible, instead of having to be toggled in the SNES version, and the score and energy displays are off the main play screen in it).

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ReXXXSoprano said:
I have a Japanese Wii. So no meltdowns here. I'll just play some Xenosaga 3 and make breakfast while I wait.

Ah... I was actually considering asking if you had a Japanese system... but, tied to that, I wasn't aware that Japan was getting Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

DavidDayton said:
Ah... I was actually considering asking if you had a Japanese system... but, tied to that, I wasn't aware that Japan was getting Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Naah. Castlevania for the JP Wii and Zombie Ate My Neighbors of the NA Wii. Both of those will be worth the points. That much I do know.

MoxManiac said:
Hopefully this means we'll get Revenge of Death Adder on VC someday. I'd die a happy man.

I would love this as well. Same for XBLA with some 4 Player Online.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I just redeemed my free NES game token and downloaded Excitebike.

Also, :lol at the Golden Axe VC Arcade price. I only paid $5 for the XBLA version, so I'll pass.

I'll download ZAMN later. I never played it, so I want to see what the fuss is about.

sfog said:
The SNES version has better sound and music, and slightly better graphics, although I actually prefer the screen display in the Genesis version more (the map is always visible, instead of having to be toggled in the SNES version, and the score and energy displays are off the main play screen in it).

wasn't the genesis version's screensize horribly cropped beacuse of that. like there was that huge black bar on the right with the radar and score/energy counter in it while, in the snes version(which I consider vastly superior in every aspect),the radar and the other stuff was on the play-screen itself?

edit: yup
SNES
zlvk7n.jpg

genesis
2cihen6.gif

I don't know, as I haven't played ZAMN, but speaking about Genesis games in general, their resolution is 320x240 while SNES is 256x240. That's a 64 horizontal pixel difference, and even though the Genesis version may be cropped, it probably technically has the same amount of space on the playing screen as the SNES game.

I know that in Earthworm Jim, a game I also haven't played, you can see farther ahead on the Genesis because of the extra horizontal space. Apparently, in the SNES version, you can't see too far ahead.

MoxManiac

It's funny, even after all these years I can still remember the stage 1 music to ZAMN. Gonna have to get that off of VC when I get home, I think.

JaseMath

Never played ZAMN before - always thought it looked like Fester's Quest for the NES. I'll DL to see what all the hoopla is about.

StAidan

I must own ZAMN. One of the best games of the 16-bit generation.... I never dared to hope it would someday be available on VC!

Ranger X

ZOMBIES ATE MY NEIGHBORS!!!!

oh shit. It's been a while I was waiting for this one. Better be the SNES version or no buy.

Top Bottom