• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - October 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

andymcc

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah just go ahead and wait for Rygar NES. In the interim you could always grab Rygar PS2 or at least listen to that game's soundtrack. Holy carp it's amazing.

yeah, i remember being really underwhelmed by the game when it came out (around the time of the much superior Shinobi) but being blown away by its production values.

Captain N

Crash-Course Domo 18 Blocks
Hard-Hat Domo 13 Blocks
Rock-n-Roll Domo 30 Blocks
Pro-Putt Domo 26 Blocks
White Water Domo 20 Blocks

zigg

Captain N said:
Crash-Course Domo 18 Blocks
Hard-Hat Domo 13 Blocks
Rock-n-Roll Domo 30 Blocks
Pro-Putt Domo 26 Blocks
White Water Domo 20 Blocks

Phew! I cleared enough.

I won't be able to try them for a handful more hours though, if anyone's waiting on me. Wi-Fi's down at Panera. :(

Kind of a silly question, but..

Say I'm playing Super Mario World. My Wii is set to 480p 16:9 (TV is set to 16:9 as well). Will it be the same just changing my TV's orientation to 4:3 or do I need to go into the Wii options to change the output to 4:3?

Or, does the Wii properly 'scale' the 4:3 games to 16:9?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
peppermints said:
Kind of a silly question, but..

Say I'm playing Super Mario World. My Wii is set to 480p 16:9 (TV is set to 16:9 as well). Will it be the same just changing my TV's orientation to 4:3 or do I need to go into the Wii options to change the output to 4:3?

Or, does the Wii properly 'scale' the 4:3 games to 16:9?

You'll have to manually switch your TV to 4:3. The Wii doesn't add black bars to the sides of the screen while in 16:9.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
peppermints said:
Well that's annoying. So the 16:9 image is stretched and distorted. :(
stretched - yes. distorted - no. it's just anamorphic.

So other than if I'm going for a perfect replication of the game, there's no reason to bother switching the Wii's output? In other words, the game remains unchanged? I just feel like it looks kind of off sometimes. I mean, if I wanted it perfect, I would have just hooked up an SNES.. :lol

CLEEK

peppermints said:
So other than if I'm going for a perfect replication of the game, there's no reason to bother switching the Wii's output? In other words, the game remains unchanged? I just feel like it looks kind of off sometimes. I mean, if I wanted it perfect, I would have just hooked up an SNES.. :lol

But if you hooked up a SNES to a 16:9 screen, you'd have the same issue. To get the image to display in the correct ratio, you'd have to change the display mode on your TV to 4:3

angelfly

I just picked up a Japanese DSi and was browsing through looking for something to spend the free points on. Right now Asphalt 4 looks like the best choice. Is there anything anything else I should consider?

zigg

Any particular reason you passed over the wealth of great puzzle games, like Hacolife (a.k.a. Boxlife)?

angelfly

zigg said:
Any particular reason you passed over the wealth of great puzzle games, like Hacolife (a.k.a. Boxlife)?

I haven't been keeping up with DSi ware at all so I kind of went straight to the premium section and casually glanced over the others. I saw video of Asphalt on nico nico but not much of the others.

rpmurphy

angelfly said:
I just picked up a Japanese DSi and was browsing through looking for something to spend the free points on. Right now Asphalt 4 looks like the best choice. Is there anything anything else I should consider?
I found Asphalt 4 to be extremely bland and uninteresting, a second-rate GT. Dunno what is on the JP DSiWare, but so far I think that Nintendo-published ones are the best amongst the Premium selection for NA.

angelfly

Picked up Hacolife and Aa Mujyou Setsuna and so far both were very worth it. I'll probably add some more points in a few days and pick up the other Art Style games.

zigg

angelfly said:
I'll probably add some more points in a few days and pick up the other Art Style games.

I don't know if I'd say all the AS games are worth it. Haco, PiCTOBiTS (PiCOPiCT, I believe) and Aquia (no idea)—in that order—are my personal faves. Precipice (forget the .jp name) is decent. Beyond that, ehh.

Netto-kun

angelfly said:
I'll suggest:

- Art Style: Aquario
- Art Style: PiCOPiCT
- Dragon Quest Wars
- Itsudemo Bomberman
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!

And if you want to have some fun programs to mess around with:

- Itsudemo Purikura
- Ugoku Memo-chou (Flipnote Studio)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Weird... the Wii Shop Channel is "currently undergoing maintenance".

Doesn't that generally tend to happen just before either a Monday software update -or- a firmware update?

zigg said:
I don't know if I'd say all the AS games are worth it. Haco, PiCTOBiTS (PiCOPiCT, I believe) and Aquia (no idea)—in that order—are my personal faves. Precipice (forget the .jp name) is decent. Beyond that, ehh.
Decode/base10 is fun if you're right handed, or in my case, if you are masochistic enough to suck it up and get over playing with a handicap.

Zengage is the only one that's questionable. It's too relaxing, really, not so much fun. They should have ported dialhex and been done with it. That game is a great chill game.

But now that they're open to porting bitgen games, coloris needs to come on down.

Somnid

DavidDayton said:
Weird... the Wii Shop Channel is "currently undergoing maintenance".

Doesn't that generally tend to happen just before either a Monday software update -or- a firmware update?

It's usually a sign of upgrades. Seeing as they had a security related one which included a new shop channel not too long ago it might actually be something interesting.

zigg

AlphaTwo00 said:
Has anyone tried out the Art Academy software? Any good? Bad?

I did! Liked the first one quite a bit. I am stalled at the moment because painting limes intimidates me. But if you go back to the September thread, I think, you can see some of my works and impressions.

DDayton

Somnid said:
It's usually a sign of upgrades. Seeing as they had a security related one which included a new shop channel not too long ago it might actually be something interesting.

Wasn't there SOMETHING which Japan had and we didn't, as far as Nintendo Channel / Shopping Channel stuff went? I know we finally got the new Nintendo Channel a few weeks ago, but I thought there was still some sort of Wii Shop Channel upgrade that hadn't made its way to the USA yet...

Or am I wrong?

mclem

Flakster99 said:
Woohoo Rygar!

Arcade Rygar is a rather different game to NES Rygar, do bear that in mind; it's a bit like how different arcade Bionic Commando and NES Bionic Commando are.

Somnid

DavidDayton said:
Wasn't there SOMETHING which Japan had and we didn't, as far as Nintendo Channel / Shopping Channel stuff went? I know we finally got the new Nintendo Channel a few weeks ago, but I thought there was still some sort of Wii Shop Channel upgrade that hadn't made its way to the USA yet...

Or am I wrong?

All maintenance is done at the same time for all regions. The DSi Shop is also down so I'm starting to expect something big especially with Miyamoto doing a keynote tomorrow. Remember they pulled the same stunt in March just before GDC, releasing Wii firmware 4.0 and the then Japan-only DSi firmware 1.3.

The Japanese website says that the maintenance will be done by 10:00am or 40 minutes from now.

DDayton

Somnid said:
All maintaence is done at the same time for all regions. The DSi Shop is also down so I'm starting to expect something big especially with Miyamoto doing a keynote tomorrow. Remember they pulled the same stunt in March just before GDC, releasing Wii firmware 4.0 and the then Japan-only DSi firmware 1.3.

The Japanese website says that the maintaince will be done by 10:00am or 40 minutes from now.

Hmm.

I suppose there's little to no chance this has anything to do with the Netflix rumors we've been getting all year long.

Flakster99

mclem said:
Arcade Rygar is a rather different game to NES Rygar, do bear that in mind; it's a bit like how different arcade Bionic Commando and NES Bionic Commando are.

I really enjoyed the arcade version of Rygar tremendously, and it's level of difficulty, and I have been waiting for this game since Arcade titles were announced.

I did not play the NES version, so it is not on my radar.

Now for Xain'd Sleena, Black Tiger, and Ghouls 'N' Ghosts to make an appearance. :)

DavidDayton said:
Hmm.

I suppose there's little to no chance this has anything to do with the Netflix rumors we've been getting all year long.
That could coincide with Nintendo's latest hint that something good is hitting the Nintendo Channel very soon.

Somnid said:
All maintenance is done at the same time for all regions. The DSi Shop is also down so I'm starting to expect something big especially with Miyamoto doing a keynote tomorrow.

When you say "tomorrow" what do you mean? I would love to be up for this keynote.

Downhome

AlphaTwo00 said:
Has anyone tried out the Art Academy software? Any good? Bad?

I highly recommend it. I can't draw at all, I've always struggled with it, but already this game has taught me a lot. I just wish there were more lessons. I'd so buy a huge packed full version of this sort of thing for the DS. I'll likely by the second AA game just for the few extra lessons.

Don't ignore it, it's pretty great, especially if you can't draw to start with.

It's also a great program to just "free draw/paint" if you don't care about the lessons.

Here are my three drawings so far from doing the first few lessons. They aren't anything special, but it's a lot better than what I've done before:

ds1.jpg

ds2.jpg

ds3f.jpg

Somnid

Why would you do that? said:
When you say "tomorrow" what do you mean? I would love to be up for this keynote.

Oops. I thought it was on Thursday Japan time. It's Saturaday in Japan, Thursday US time.

DDayton

Somnid said:
Yep. There was some minor firmware update, not even a point release. I can't say I noticed anything new.

Wait -- an actual FIRMWARE update? As in "you can't access the Shop Channel unless you update the Wii" thing?

Somnid

DavidDayton said:
Wait -- an actual FIRMWARE update? As in "you can't access the Shop Channel unless you update the Wii" thing?

It updated something. It was very quick, maybe it just stabilized the 4.2 installer people were freaking out about.

DDayton

Somnid said:
It updated something. It was very quick, maybe it just stabilized the 4.2 installer people were freaking out about.

Actually... perhaps this has to do with the "free NES game" thing for folks who purchased the Browser.

Top Bottom