• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS hits 10 million worldwide

argon

Is this old? Well it's official now at least..

http://www.latimes.com/business/investing/wire/sns-ap-nintendo-handheld-sales,1,1219169.story?coll=sns-ap-investing-headlines

REDMOND, Wash. — Nintendo Co. said Tuesday that it has sold about 10 million of its Nintendo DS handheld game systems worldwide, including about 4 million in North America and more than 5 million in Japan.

Perrin Kaplan, vice president for marketing at Nintendo's U.S. headquarters in Redmond, said the company sold about 3 million of the handheld gaming gadgets to North American consumers in 2005. That's on top of 1.2 million sold to North American consumers in 2004, following the system's late November launch.

Rival Sony Corp. said it has sold 2.7 million of its handheld game system, the PlayStation Portable, in North America between its March launch and Dec. 1. The company did not yet have sales figures through the holiday season.

Nintendo also said Tuesday that it sold 4.6 million of its other popular handheld gaming system, the Game Boy Advance, to North American consumers in 2005. That's a drop from 7.58 million in 2004.

Kaplan said about 550,000 people worldwide have used Nintendo DS's Wi-Fi system for playing games online since that offering launched seven weeks ago. The online game play option is free for anyone who has wireless Internet access. Users with a regular broadband connection can buy an adapter for about $35.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Sony should announce bigger shipped numbers next time. I don't think they were counting on the DS catching up so quick. :lol

Oblivion

AniHawk said:
Just 1 million in PAL regions? Did UK get 99% of the sales?

It can't be. Nintendo stated that Nintendogs sold over a million in Europe, so it DS sales have to be more than that. Why they wouldn't mention it, I don't know.

Oblivion

Gamespot also has an article up:

Company says nearly 4 million DSes have been sold in North America; Mario Kart and Nintendogs top 2005 software numbers.
While most eyes are on the upcoming next-generation console war, Nintendo sent out a little reminder that the battle for handheld gaming is still raging. The Japanese company today revealed that nearly 4 million units of its DS handheld have been sold in the US. The latest numbers bring the total crop of DSes in customers' hands to more than 10 million. In Nintendo's home country, the DS has sold more than 5 million units, and in Europe, the number exceeded one million in June (new numbers have not yet been made available).

Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo of America's vice president for marketing and corporate communications, told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer that more than 3 million DSes were sold in the US in 2005, on top of the 1.2 million sold in just over a month in 2004. With both the DS and the three models of the Game Boy Advance, Nintendo claims to own 78 percent of the handheld gaming market in the US.

Nintendo also trumpeted the numbers being put up by a few of the dual-screened handheld's software titles. Sales of Mario Kart DS, released in mid-November, have already topped 1 million units in the US. Nintendogs, which revived sales of the system both in the US and Japan, has sold more than 1.5 million units in the US since its August release.

With more than 5 million units sold in Japan since its December 2004 regional launch, the DS has become the fastest-selling gaming machine in Japan's history. In another first, Japanese gamers have scooped up more than a million copies of four different titles within one year of a system's launch: Nintendogs, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Brain Age, and Brain Flex.

The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service, which allows gamers to play over the Internet, has seen 550,000 unique visitors since its debut in late 2005.

The sales numbers of Nintendo's main rival in the handheld market, the Sony PSP, differ depending on who is asked. According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Sony has sold 2.7 million PSPs in the US from its March launch through December 1. However, last month, Sony told Reuters that 3 million units of the handheld have been sold in the US through November. A third opinion yields a third number--NPD Funworld says 2.5 million PSPs were sold in America through November.

AniHawk

radioheadrule83 said:
I don't get it. Is it significantly more than 10 million then?

Well, it would bring the number up near 11 million. If UK is 30%-40% of European sales, that would bring the total up to 2 million for the region, and then you have to factor whatever measly amount it sold in Australia (being generous, lets say... 100k).

You'd think in a PR statement, Nintendo would shoot for the higher number.

Whiz

North American: 4 million (Dec, Nintendo)
Japan: 5.2 million (25 Dec, Media-Create)
Europe: 3 million (Nintendo Europe estimated)

12.2 Million

M3wThr33

Banned
I guess Nintendo must have been reading this forum.
All this talk about how 8.5 million = 10 million for the PSP was too good for them to pass up.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Nintendo...sold about 3 million of the handheld gaming gadgets [DS] to North American consumers in 2005.

Doesn't sound too great when you see that

1.2 million sold to North American consumers in 2004, following the system's late November launch.

This part also shows that GBA sales are down quite a bit compared to last year. Can anyone provide some speculative reasons for this?

Nintendo...sold 4.6 million...Game Boy Advance, to North American consumers in 2005. That's a drop from 7.58 million in 2004.

Funny how this year's DS sales + GBA sales = last year's GBA sales. Third pillar, my ass. The DS has completely replaced the GBA in Japan, and DS sales are eating into GBA sales here on a one-for-one basis, it looks like.

And the PSP hasn't had any effect at all on Nintendo hardware sales. I guess it really did expand the market. Good for Sony...bring on the "not competing" BS.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
MrSardonic said:
This part also shows that GBA sales are down quite a bit compared to last year. Can anyone provide some speculative reasons for this?
The GBA had two big boosts last year with the release of the NES GBA SP (lots of repeat buyers) and then later in the year with Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green. 2005 only had Pokemon Emerald (which didn't boost HW sales) while it also had two competitors for the entire year (even though it still outsold both).

Funny how this year's DS sales + GBA sales = last year's GBA sales. Third pillar, my ass.

This is the year the GBA loses its steam and the year the DS just starts picking some up. One might actually expect the combined sales of these two systems to be lower than last year GBA sales. I think a one-to-one eat-up ratio is too large.

heidern

hmm interesting numbers. So the situation DS had at the end of November was:
US 2758K
Canada 177K
NA Total: 2.935M

Now it seems the DS is between 4M-4.2M in NA. So if Canada gets around 50-80K for December that puts the DS at around 1M-1.2M for the December NPD, around triple the previous months sales(unless theres significant sales in NA apart from US+Canada?). Looking at the software, it seems the DS moved around 1M in November, and here we have just 3 games pushin 1.6M. No doubt Animal Crossing would have done pretty good too so damn impressive all round.

Pimpwerx

North American: 4 million (Dec, Nintendo)
Japan: 5.2 million (25 Dec, Media-Create)
Europe: 3 million (Nintendo Europe estimated)

12.2 Million

You'd think Nintendo wouldn't undercut their numbers. I think you might be shooting the moon on that EU number. That said, is there a press release from Nintendo? I think it'll be a lot better without the filter. PEACE.

Whiz

Pimpwerx said:
You'd think Nintendo wouldn't undercut their numbers. I think you might be shooting the moon on that EU number. That said, is there a press release from Nintendo? I think it'll be a lot better without the filter. PEACE.

http://www.viciojuegos.com/noticia.jsp?idNoticia=8982
http://www.jeux-france.com/news12137_psp-ou-nintendo-ds-nintendo-parle.html

Spanish:
"1'3 millones en Europa" (Sept. 05)
"hasta fin de año, se venderán 3 millones de DS."

French:
"à plus de 1,3 millions d'unités à travers l'Europe" (Sept. 05)
"3 millions de Nintendo DS seront aux mains des consommateurs d'ici la fin de l'année."

Pachinko

Good I hope it stays this way. The PSP is still an expensive paperweight for my bedroom. I shoul dhave waited a year or 2 on that thing :( OH well, atleast capcom are supporting it with some games.

Pimpwerx

Whiz said:
http://www.viciojuegos.com/noticia.jsp?idNoticia=8982
http://www.jeux-france.com/news12137_psp-ou-nintendo-ds-nintendo-parle.html

Spanish:
"1'3 millones en Europa" (Sept. 05)
"hasta fin de año, se venderán 3 millones de DS."

French:
"à plus de 1,3 millions d'unités à travers l'Europe" (Sept. 05)
"3 millions de Nintendo DS seront aux mains des consommateurs d'ici la fin de l'année."
Those are just blog sites. They pull their info from other websites AFAIK. I'm looking for a the Nintendo press release that originated these stories. PEACE.

Gamespot said:
Sales of Mario Kart DS, released in mid-November, have already topped 1 million units in the US. Nintendogs, which revived sales of the system both in the US and Japan, has sold more than 1.5 million units in the US since its August release.

November Numbers LTD
----------------------------------------------
NDS MARIO KART $7,314,435 222,408
Nintendogs combined = 835,450

I sure hope Nintendo hasn't overstated their sales, because that's Sony's province and would NEVER be acceptable by Nintendo standards, right guys?

So, Mario Kart must have had a freaking monster December. #1 game for the month? I think so.

heidern

You'd think Nintendo wouldn't undercut their numbers but in this case theyve used old numbers. Back in August there were 1.3M DSs in Europe with around 350K in UK. Since then the DS as sold another 500K in UK(Up to Dec 17), so a similar increase in the Rest of Europe would put the DS at 3.15M. Theres a couple of weeks to go too with sales averaging around 70K so really DS is likely to end the year in Europe at around 3.5-4M in reality.
So estimates for year end:
Japan - 5.75M
NA - 4.2M
Europe - 3.75M
Other - 0.1M
Total 13.8M

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Pimpwerx said:
Nintendo's press release only says ~4 million in NA and over 5 million in Japan. There's no mention of Europe.
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=78959

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
My goodness, what are December sales like? 500K for the DS? INSANE MK sales? Jeez.

Pimpwerx

Whiz said:
¬_¬

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=11124

I have the press release from Nintendo Spain in my mail. I'm not going to discuss more with you.
Oh please don't go. You're my everything. My world will end without you. :(

BTW, wtf are you linking me to? That's an August 26th article with no numbers listed for that time period. It's a projection he gives, which is fine IMO. But it's not the press release. The other two article you linked me to were (a) in a foreign language (one with Babelfish assist), and (b) from blog sites. At least jeux-france is a known blog site. They post scans, and basically just translate articles. I don't think they've ever gotten any scoops outside of JP scans.

When I say "blog site" I mean a site that doesn't really generate its own news. See also GA front page, Gamefront.de and others. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just looking for the original PR in English. Unlike you, I don't get any mail other than bills and worn panties. PEACE.

heidern

jj984jj said:
My goodness, what are December sales like? 500K for the DS? INSANE MK sales? Jeez.
You missed my post. These news stories and press releases suggest the DS sold 1 million units or more in the US for December. As for Mario Kart, its to be expected. Mario Kart Super Circuit is in the region of 2.5M sold. A million for MK:DS in its first Christmas wouldnt be too out of the ordinary. I really want to know how Animal Crossing did though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
heidern said:
You missed my post. These news stories and press releases suggest the DS sold 1 million units or more in the US for December. As for Mario Kart, its to be expected. Mario Kart Super Circuit is in the region of 2.5M sold. A million for MK:DS in its first Christmas wouldnt be too out of the ordinary. I really want to know how Animal Crossing did though.
I would guess that Animal Crossing's numbers will be low since Nintendo probably underestimated demand for the game. Using pure anecdotal evidence, I was unable to find this game anywhere, and I live in a pretty small town. Buying it online was a pain and I have heard of shortages everywhere.

WindyMan

Nintendo doesn't usually include numbers for Europe because there isn't an independent sales tracker there to get solid figures from. Instead of estimating it, they just don't include them.

Regardless, 10+ million in 13 months is astounding.

Oblivion

heidern said:

What is MK for the GBA's total worldwide sales? MK DS going at 2 million worldwide in a month is pretty awesome any way you look at it.

As for AC, I bet it sold great, but it didnt' hit a million, and Nintendo wanted to mention only the million sellers to make it seem more impressive.

cvxfreak

Oblivion said:
What is MK for the GBA's total worldwide sales? MK DS going at 2 million worldwide in a month is pretty awesome any way you look at it.

I'd bet around 3.5-4 Million. The DS one is on track to outdo the GBA one in Japan if it hasn't already.

Top Bottom