• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS outlook in 2006 (I'm a traitor!)

olimario said:
2005 was a better year for the DS. Hopefully we'll see some stuff at E3.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say yes, we will see DS stuff at E3. ;p

Hopefully it has another HUGE E3 showing, second only to REV/PS3. :D

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
olimario said:
2005 was a better year for the DS. Hopefully we'll see some stuff at E3.
DS games usually take less than a year to develop. That's the nice part of it, usually you can buy the games a few months after they were announced.

Bebpo

Banned
Just like the PSP list, it looks...ok. Definitely not bad and a few titles that might stand out, but not the really as good as the fall 2005 lineup. Hopefully E3 brings the joy for both handhelds.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Bebpo said:
Just like the PSP list, it looks...ok. Definitely not bad and a few titles that might stand out, but not the really as good as the fall 2005 lineup. Hopefully E3 brings the joy for both handhelds.
That's the other thing about the DS... you can't really tell if something might be good or bad at all. The system just doesn't make for great screenshots. Some of those games that look 'meh' could be good while some anticipated stuff could be pretty shitty.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Buggy Loop said:
I think 2k6 will be a better year, im so psyched for FF3, children of mana and metroid hunters.

2006 WILL be a better year simply for the new Mario Bros. Can't fucking wait :D :D

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
These are the good (or there abouts) 2005 titles it's going up against:

Mario Kart
Castlevania
Mario & Luigi
Sonic Rush
Advances Wars
Meteos
Kirby Canvas Curse
Animal Crossing
Tony Hawk
Nintendogs
Yoshi Touch & Go
Viewtiful Joe
Warioware Touched!
Metroid Prime Pinball
Pac-Pix
Trauma Center
Puyo Pop Fever
Pac'n Roll
Ultimate Spider-Man
Nanostray
Phoenix Wright
Polarium

You could possibly add more, but that'll do.

I would say the line up is comparing quite favourably, especially given that we likely haven't seen or heard of everything yet. Some of the games we know of could be shit but:

Castlevania----------------New Castlevania
Mario & Luigi---------------Final Fantasy III
Sonic Rush-----------------New Super Mario Bros.
Phoenix Wright-------------Phoenix Wright 2
Ultimate Spider-Man-------New Spider-Man (inevitably)
Metroid Prime Pinball------Metroid Prime Hunters
Tony Hawk-----------------New Tony Hawk (inevitably)
Warioware Touched!------Where Do Babies Come From
Advances Wars------------Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (this is the point I stop making any attempt to match them)
Mario Kart------------------Super Monkey Ball
Meteos----------------------New Boktai
Kirby Canvas Curse-------Pokemon Ranger
Animal Crossing-----------Super Princess Peach
Nintendogs-----------------Mario Basketball
Yoshi Touch & Go----------Wario Thief
Viewtiful Joe----------------New Zelda
Pac-Pix---------------------Tales of Tempest
Trauma Center------------Custom Robo
Puyo Pop Fever------------ASH
Pac'n Roll-------------------Resident Evil: Deadly Silence
Nanostray------------------Xenosaga I & II
Polarium--------------------Children of Mana

Plus plenty of games left over like Bleach and Guilty Gears, Electroplankton and Worms, Pokemon Trozei and Starfi etc. Some will turn out shit, but there are enough that we should get the same amount of good stuff.

I reckon it's better, but it depends what type of game you like.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Quiet you.

I would have thought Bebpo preferred the 2006 line up given the RPGs. You never can tell.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Detect Hacker
Nintendo/RED Company

ds_scr16.jpg

Tenchu DS
From Software

ds_scr58.jpg

Edit to Andy: Few Corrections. Pokemon Torzei is be Genius Sonority, Lost Magic is by Garakuta Studio, Xenosaga is by Monolith, Guilty Gear is by Arc System Works, Electroplankton is by Toshio Iwai, and Children of Mana is by Next Entertainment.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
BorkBork said:
What the hell is Detect Hacker? looks very Phoenix Wright-ish.
I wish I knew more about it me-self. It was revealed on October 5th with the other shitload of games Famitsu revealed that day but nothing has been said about it since. I think the game was buried under the rest of the games revealed and the Wi-Fi conference Nintendo held that day where S-E showed images of FFIII and Sakaguchi showed images of ASH.

Mr_Moogle

Theres a Tenchu is development for DS? WOOOOHOOOOO. :)

I havent played a Tenchu since the originals on psx. I heard Tenchu 3 was a bit dissapointing so I always steered clear of it. I just hope they take advantage of the touch screen. Ninja stylus FTW.

People should never judge a DS game based on screenshots. I remember MK:DS screens looked fucking awful but the game in motion is very slick and smooth.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
The DS is building up quite an attractive line-up. I am almost tempted to buy a DS even though, after my experience with the GBA, I swore never to buy another handheld again. Lucky that I am so poor right now that even if I wanted to break my oath, I couldn't afford to.

Jiggy

Kon Tiki said:
It is like the SNES never died.
Normally I'd say "And I couldn't be happier." Then I see extra games that the SNES couldn't have done, like Tales of the Tempest and ASH, and realize that I already am.

AniHawk

olimario said:
2005 was a better year for the DS.

No.

GOD no.

There was like 10 decent-great games worth a good look at the end of 2005 and about 4-5 more scattered throughout the rest of the year. There's a shitload more this time around, and E3 isn't even here yet.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I remember it was only last year when I was totally regretting my DS purchase... but on that list I really want to play: Children of Mana, Tales of the Tempest, FF3, New Super Mario Bros, Super Princess Peach, Starfi 4, Wario Thief, Ash, Magical Vacation 2, and Slime Morimori. I hope we get all these games in the US...

Top Bottom