• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS: WiFi + touchscreen/stylus + 2 screens = It's begging for a web browser!

Who else thinks an internet web browser for the Nintendo DS would rock? You could instantly call up a virtual keyboard on the bottom screen with a touch of a button and use the stylus to input text, scroll pages, drag and drop, highlight text, etc (basically acting like a mouse). The dual screen setup can be used in various ways to display pages, and the built-in WiFi makes it perfect for such an application.

Imagine posting on these forums from your NDS? That's hot.

Knowing Nintendo though, it probably wont happen... Maybe Datel or another company can make an unofficial web browser for the DS... The Dreamcast legacy must live on!

OMG DS-AGE!

Seriously that would be rad. Realistically, it won't happen. Nintendo wants to maintain some loose level of control over what's on it (through licensing). They can't control what's on the internet.

StrikerObi said:
OMG DS-AGE!

Seriously that would be rad. Realistically, it won't happen. Nintendo wants to maintain some loose level of control over what's on it (through licensing). They can't control what's on the internet.

Internet Pr0n on DS!

neptunes

(A ds thread every 5 minutes now it seems :))

but yeah, I'm sure the makers of GameShark or Pro Action replay will make a web browser!

(hopefully one for launch)

I remember when gameshark made that Email app for the original gameboy.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Somebody will make one. My bet is AOL. Remember that the two companies have had something in the works since last year (according to Oxygen, anyway)

GigaDrive

Banned
Who else thinks an internet web browser for the Nintendo DS would rock?

*raises hand*

I most definitally do. part of the reason why I plan to get a DS, which'll be my first Nintendo handheld, is the potential for web browsing, email, chat, IM, voice chat, perhaps even video chat with a cam peripheral. or simply writing on your DS, to someone else's DS. thus type of stuff would absolutely rock! I hope it'll work with Revolution as well.

imagine your buddy is at home playing a game on his/her Revolution. and you are in the city or whereever, on the go, with your DS. you and your buddy could be chatting about anything. you on DS on the go chatting with your buddy: 'hey man i'll be at your place at 9.00 to play the new Zelda' your buddy: 'okay sounds great cya then, oh yeah can you pick up an extra memory card?' you: 'okay i'll see if i can get to EB or Gamestop or TRU on the way back'

rock!

Does anyone know the resolution of the DS screens? It seems that unless a website was specifically tailored for the DS, the low resolution would make for constant side scrolling for everything you did. A chat-program, now, I can definetly see. I could see that being the initial online app. released (even before any games).

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I think it would be too small to fit web pages into properly... maybe it can get its own custom content from websites like pda's do??

If they somehow manage to ge the resolution reall sharp, then I suppose the smaller size may be able to work, but I doubt it.

Instant messaging will be very cool though if done right.

neptunes

x-trafun1.jpg
x-trafun2.jpg

GDGF

Soothsayer
Anybody know the resolution of a regular crappy 1980's model TV? I never had any problem browsing the web on mine using WEBTV.

open_mouth_ said:
I think it would be too small to fit web pages into properly... maybe it can get its own custom content from websites like pda's do??

If they somehow manage to ge the resolution reall sharp, then I suppose the smaller size may be able to work, but I doubt it.

Instant messaging will be very cool though if done right.
It could use Small-Screen Rendering™. To see, press Shift+F11 in Opera.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The resolution could be worked around, just as WebTV found a way. It would also be simple to make a written text into type application to take away the need for a keyboard. They already exist.

on a similar topic, is there something that prevents companies from making webbrowsers for PS2/GC/Xbox? I always thought thats something Gameshark or some other company would have jumped on by now.

neptunes

on a similar topic, is there something that prevents companies from making webbrowsers for PS2/GC/Xbox? I always thought thats something Gameshark or some other company would have jumped on by now.

you haven't been looking hard enough.

You can already surf the web through the ps2...xbox(probably)

GC..who cares?

Lost Weekend said:
Anybody know the resolution of a regular crappy 1980's model TV? I never had any problem browsing the web on mine using WEBTV.

You can display 640*480 on a television. A crappy tv's resolution might suck and drop pixels (making everything less crisp than it otherwise would have been), but it's still yielding scroll-free surfing on a webpage that displays 640*480 as its standard.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gunsmoke said:
And yeah I'd love to see you all type on that thing in a heated GA thread debate.
Actually, I think you're onto something there...

Make GAF compatible with PictoChat and the humor value of these threads would skyrocket! ;)

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nevermind. Looking at Neptunes post above, somebody already solved the resolution problem for the GBA apparently. I'm sure we'll see a web browser now.

Secondly there wouldn't be much of a need. I mean anyone who's online wtih a console is probably online with a PC. Handhelds are another matter, there are sometimes when you need the internet and not next to a computer. If the DS had a browser (maybe with Pictochat? ) I think it would certainly be a wonderful app.

Secondly to Drinky Cow, why bother buying a Palm or Pocket PC when I already plan on getting a DS? Waste of money. Especialkly since I know I won't be using it all that often.

neptunes said:
you haven't been looking hard enough.

You can already surf the web through the ps2...xbox(probably)

GC..who cares?

you can surf using the ps2 how? without modding it? as for GC, well that was back when i first got the BBA, so i wanted to get SOME use out of it.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
While it would be a nice function to have, and I'm all for it, surfing the web on small, low-resolution LCD is a neat, novel thing for about a day. Then you realize why you have an actual computer. ;) I have an Axim 3Xi with the usual 320X240 PocketPC display, and while I occasionally use it at work to pull up a site or two when I'm away from the office, it's not something you'd want to use for any consistent period of time. Most websites now are designed around an expected 800X600 resolution minimum. I guess the DS's stylus would come in handy, as you'd be doing ALOT of scrolling.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yeah, you don't necessarily want to chase after the traditional web browsing experience, but chat, RSS feeds, email, etc. could all still be useful since they rely much less on pre-existing formatting and layout designed for larger screens.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
kaching said:
Yeah, you don't necessarily want to chase after the traditional web browsing experience, but chat, RSS feeds, email, etc. could all still be useful since they rely much less on pre-existing formatting and layout designed for larger screens.

Agreed. Oh, sorry...IAWTP. ;)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I personally think it would be retarded not to have one if it has wi-fi. It can be basic, that's fine.

Given Reggie's talk about cross-timezone play they better not back the fuck off the online portion of this thing. That will be a killing dissapointment.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Dammit this is hard :)

Just go to Google and type in Extremetech Gameboy. It's the first link that pops up. It says
'Gameboy Owners Will Surf The Web'

Point is, it's been done already on the GBA. It'll be done on the NDS. I wouldn't be surprised if it's by the same company.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
You know, I actually would be more tempted to buy a DS if it can connect to the internet. I could sent quick E-mails while outside doing things. Also, I need my constant GAF fix ;)

Do you chumps REALLY think browsing the web is going to feasible at the DS's ridiculously low resolution? GAF is almost unreadably scrunched on a 640x480 PDA, much less a 320x240 one. I can't imagine it at the DS resolution.

Like I said, your unqualified imaginations do all the work for Nintendo...up until delivery, of course, when NONE of this will be realized in any workable way.

Drinky Crow said:
Do you chumps REALLY think browsing the web is going to feasible at the DS's ridiculously low resolution? GAF is almost unreadably scrunched on a 640x480 PDA, much less a 320x240 one. I can't imagine it at the DS resolution.

Like I said, your unqualified imaginations do all the work for Nintendo...up until delivery, of course, when NONE of this will be realized in any workable way.

Okay, I'll wait for DS2 then :p

Drinky Crow said:

Do YOU think it really fucking matters? I sure as hell didn't plan on using it as my main ways of surfing the net. If I can do a few simple things on it that's fine. The PC would still be my main ways of browsing the web. I don't think I myself ever implied I was going to use the DS in a similar manner. We all know that browsing the web on a small screen doesn't work as well, but for very simple things like I have in mind it's not a problem at all.

Top Bottom