• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS: WiFi + touchscreen/stylus + 2 screens = It's begging for a web browser!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
crunky_D.jpg

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Since some of you are the same people that have expressed deep concerns about the PSP battery life, you might want to take a moment to consider what all this Wifi web browsing/chatting will do to DS battery life. You might have to actually ... *gasp* ... recharge it every day!!! ;)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
kaching said:
Since some of you are the same people that have expressed deep concerns about the PSP battery life, you might want to take a moment to consider what all this Wifi web browsing/chatting will do to DS battery life. You might have to actually ... *gasp* ... recharge it every day!!! ;)
Don't worry, the DS will still be battery life king once this all blows over and the DS never actually goes online ;)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I was just reading the GI interview with a Nintendo publicist about the DS. Not much info of course, but the disturbing thing was she mentioned wireless LAN play but nothing more about an online service. She kept saying that would be up to "interested developers" with more details in the future. I sure hope that's because the idea is just murky and not because Nintendo isn't going to push that sort of wireless internet option on their own. I see how it goes with their console when they take a hands-off approach. Reggie better get her in line.

kaching said:

No, it's not a big deal. I won't be using it to surf the web everyday. Like I said for very simple things. So a short Wi-fi battery life is perfectly fine. Gaming on the other hand is a different matter. I will be using the machine for gaming majority of the time and for hours on end. It will be quite a disappointment if the PSP can't provide the same for gaming. So I hope you weren't referring to me with this comment.

Secondly stop bringing up the DS' wi-fi battery life. What about the PSP and w-fi?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Of course you're one of the people I'm referring to, Darth. Statements like the one you just made would be labelled "damage control" in a PSP thread. Personally, I'm looking forward to DS owners-to-be making heavy use of Wifi for gaming, web browsing and whatnot, because it should hopefully open some eyes to kinds of features that can be worth trading off on extended battery life for.

Shoryuken

kaching said:
Of course you're one of the people I'm referring to, Darth. Statements like the one you just made would be labelled "damage control" in a PSP thread. Personally, I'm looking forward to DS owners-to-be making heavy use of Wifi for gaming, web browsing and whatnot, because it should hopefully open some eyes to kinds of features that can be worth trading off on extended battery life for.

So what do you think the PSP's battery life will be when using Wifi?

You can't really argue about wifi battery life though. It's not something have to do to game. Secondly, I already stated I don't give a crap about battery life. And thirdly you ignored my statement once again about the PSP's wi-fi battery life in which you also have no clue about. I have yet to see a statement from you about the PSP and wi-fi battery life.

Secoondly, this isn't a PSP thread is it? No it's not. In fact, no one had ever mentioned the PSP in such a manner until you did. I was the first to mention it but in hopes that the PSP would also include the same feature of a web browsers.

Lastly, wi-fi gaming isn't something I will be using all the time. Didn't I state that already? hell I hardly play any current online titles very often. So you talking about me complaining about battery life, but not caring about the DS' wi-fi battery life is silly. Since it's simply not an issue with me. I could honestly not care about the PSP's wi-fi battery life either, but you much remember if the DS has a better lifespan for most games than the PSP. The same can probably be said about playing over wi-fi. So you're just mirroring the arguments. Just because one person has already trolled, does not mean you can. :p I have to troll a PSP topic nor say I dislike the PSP. I just voice my concerns with the system that I have. I have nothing against people who like the system and what not.

EDIT: It's just like how people who don't mind the PSP's said battery life of maybe 2-3 hours don't mind it. I'm like that with wi-fi battery life. It doesn't mean that much to me as much as normal battery life. This is why you don't see me complaining about either system's wi-fi and you would think that me wanting a browser on either system shows I could care less.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Darth, don't take it so personally, because the comment wasn't aimed at just you.

The PSP isn't the focus of my comment, it simply provides a frame of reference for the issue I raised, which is very relevant to the discussion at hand. Battery life has been put at the forefront of issues related to these new portables and their uses, and it certainly has been discussed exhaustively in relation to the PSP, but not so much regarding the DS.

I have, in fact, commented on my Wifi battery life expectations for the PSP before - I'm anticipating roughly halved battery life for any function with Wifi turned on, similar to other portable devices with Wifi support on the market now.

Very well then, but again you were wrong in trying to make me look like a dolt for caring about the PSP's battery life, and not the DS' wi-fi battery life which will be much shorter than the 10 hours for normal gaming. I've given you reasons to that, and I think what you implied was a bit out of line for me.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
DarthWufei said:
Very well then, but again you were wrong in trying to make me look like a dolt for caring about the PSP's battery life, and not the DS' wi-fi battery life which will be much shorter than the 10 hours for normal gaming. I've given you reasons to that, and I think what you implied was a bit out of line for me.

Devil's Advocate question time... how do we know that the 10 hour estimate doesn't include time spent with ALL options enabled? Nintendo has been known to give low estimates before...

GDGF

Soothsayer
That would be nice. They usually do give it to us straight, with all features on and all. I'm not going to place my expectations that high, though. Don't have another really like situation to compare it against. And even if it's not 10 hours with all things enabled (wifi/bluetooth variant) it'll still most likely be around 5 or 6, and by that time, i'll have probably worn out my welcome in any pubs or coffeeshops with wifi in the local area. Too many Mario Kart fueled screams of 'EAT MY LIGHTNINGBOLTS, BITCHES!' :)

DavidDayton said:
Devil's Advocate question time... how do we know that the 10 hour estimate doesn't include time spent with ALL options enabled? Nintendo has been known to give low estimates before...

If so, that's nothing but good news. I still wouldn't care about it though. Like I siad, I don't do a lot of multiplayer gaming online or off. I doubt it would be the case though with all of the options included with the DS. Does anyone remember what batter pack was listed on that old Nitro spec sheet, if any? But I think if that were the case that would be quite an expensive battery pack for 10 hours with all options. So I really doubt that would be the case.

I feel the same about the PSP, if the 2-3 hour thing is really low ball and only about cycling games and you average game will clock out at much more than that I'll be quite pleased and moreso interested in the system.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I use my cellphone to surf the net quite regularly, but it can get expensive quickly. And I'm still using GPRS. Which brings me to the questions:

Wouldn't it be expensive to surf the net with a Nintendo DS as well? How would you actually connect to the internet? Would it work like a modem or something?

GDGF

Soothsayer
You go to a WiFi hotspot. Like an internet cafe, or some semi industrial area of town, or your local university, or find some guy you can leach a signal from in your neighborhood.

You get to be all cloak and daggery about it and spraypaint nifty occult looking symbols in areas with wifi access, too ;)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DarthWufei said:
Make you look like a dolt...wha? I implied nothing about you, by yourself, personally. I offered several people here the opportunity to remain consistent with their previously voiced concerns about battery life. The personal offense you've taken is unnecessarily triggering off a little playful sarcasm.

kaching said:
Make you look like a dolt...wha? I implied nothing about you, by yourself, personally. I offered several people here the opportunity to remain consistent with their previously voiced concerns about battery life. The personal offense you've taken is unnecessarily triggering off a little playful sarcasm.

Yeah, I noticed I took it the wrong way. Don't worry about it. I'll do that sometimes with sarcasm since I can't always be sure how to take it. I appreciate your honesty though. Again, sorry about that. :p

MoccaJava

Banned
Why is it important that I "like" Nintendo? Last I checked, I was an equal-opportunity hater.

Actually, you're just a sad, pathetic little man who spends all his time bashing a video game company on the internt because the last girl that you were even remotely sexually active (probably years and years ago) with looked more like a transexual than an actual male or female.

Go get laid. You need it. Maybe then you'll realize that no one gives a fuck about your opinion.

Wa-hey! Seven days in the turkey pen for you, kiddo. I don't mind being flamed, but you'd better contribute something to the actual discussion outside of a boilerplate internet personal attack.

Drinky Crow said:
Wa-hey! Seven days in the turkey pen for you, kiddo. I don't mind being flamed, but you'd better contribute something to the actual discussion outside of a boilerplate internet personal attack.

Your an admin???If yes then the world is really an unfair place......

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
This might be a little too late but I'm intrigued by the power consumption of Wi-Fi. I would love to see this openly developed from the beginning for both systems but if what I read is true then it would drastically cut into both system's power supplies? That would be pretty terrible if it's the only solution for multiplayer.

Drinky Crow said:

Haha, owned.

TekunoRobby said:
This might be a little too late but I'm intrigued by the power consumption of Wi-Fi. I would love to see this openly developed from the beginning for both systems but if what I read is true then it would drastically cut into both system's power supplies? That would be pretty terrible if it's the only solution for multiplayer.

I'm not really sure, I'm curious myself. Everyone says it will tax the system a lot, but no one has really said how much. Are there any other portables out there that use wi-fi for gaming? Or are people basing this on palm/pocket PC information? If so, how much does it shorten the battery life?

Also don't forget that it has bluetooth which basically is just linking the systems similar to what the current link cable does, just without a cable. I believe this oisn't supposed to hinder the battery life at all or at the most very little. So if you play normally with your friends and what not that way if they're nearby. Someone may correct me if I'm not right though, but I believe I've heard this mentioned somewhere.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Didn't I already provide an answer to this question, after being asked about it more than once?

kaching said:
I'm anticipating roughly halved battery life for any function with Wifi turned on, similar to other portable devices with Wifi support on the market now.

If you're going to ask the question, why ignore the answer? Wifi will cut deep into battery life, unless Nintendo and Sony find a way reduce the power requirements. Yes, this information is based on experience with current PDAs and laptops with Wifi pc cards.

As for Bluetooth use, it is supposed to have a lesser power requirement than Wifi but it is still an additional drain on the battery when activated. So game with Bluetooth will mean battery doesn't last as long as game with Bluetooth off.

I wasn't ignoring it, I was more interested in where you were basing the information than anything else. I already knew you said the halved power thing after making a big deal about it. You should be talking to him and not myself. Secondly I was also looking for a more exact answer in comparsions not just a rough estimate. Something more detailed, hence why I didn't mention your statement.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Again, Darth, I wasn't talking strictly to you.

As for looking for "exact answers", it doesn't get much better than a rough estimate when talking about battery life in devices that have variable power usage.

Edit: Oh, and I didn't make a big deal about it...for that I needed your assistance :p

kaching said:
Again, Darth, I wasn't talking strictly to you.

As for looking for "exact answers", it doesn't get much better than a rough estimate when talking about battery life in devices that have variable power usage.

Edit: Oh, and I didn't make a big deal about it...for that I needed your assistance :p

Indeed! I'll always be here for that if I can provide anything for this forum. The natural catalyst or what not. Meh...

If it's a huge success and has a non-gimmicky Zelda title on it, I'll probably buy it and enjoy it. Doesn't mean I can't hold extreme reservations about the design or the potential of the hardware, though.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
kaching said:
If you're going to ask the question, why ignore the answer?
Sorry for ignoring your guess, I lumped it together with the incessant bickering so I must have skimmed over it.

Don't take the this the wrong way but a random quote from an individual on a gaming message board is pretty far from being an truthworthy source. I was hoping for links to articles, dev sheets, examples in other devices. Saying "HALF" isn't an answer to my initial question either. While I do appreciate your guesstimate (I sincerely respect and follow your opinion) I was intrigued by the power consumption itself (the why's and process) not a simple guess of how much it will drain (hence why I didn't ask "how much will it drain").

aoi tsuki

Just out of curiousity, how many of you browse the web on WiFi-enabled PDAs or even cell phones? There's a difference between viewing the web and actually being able to use it practically.

Drinky Cow's right -- web browsing on such a small screen is a cute novelty. i'm fortunate enough to have a PDA with a 480x320 screen, WiFi, and an excellent thumbboard for typing. i knew basically what to expect, but it's still a little disappointing at times. Some pages are too large to display properly, like GAF fap threads and livejournal pages. My browser (Netfront 3.0) doesn't handle inline Flash files or tabs, although some do. Most sites still require a lot of tapping and scrolling to read. A lot of the sites i frequently browse have PDA versions available, so i keep those bookmarked instead of wasting time tapping and scrolling to find links.

Katcher said:
Yes it is, its called small screen rendering.

idiot.jpg
Unfortunately, the vast majority of the web is more complex than this example, that looks like it's stuck in the HTML 1.0/2.0 era. Also, this example looks like it's longer than the DS's dual screens combined. Still, viewing a site on a device with less than half the horizontal resolution causes problem. Sites with no more than three columns of text are fairly readable, but graphics become cryptic when scaled down to fit on smaller screens. Hardware limitations also come into play. A PC has much more processing power, RAM, and hard drive space than a portable, at least the DS from what i can tell, which notably affects the the loading and size of allowable pages and media playback.

The main use for my PDA web browser is Googling up quick bits of info while i'm out. The idea of portable web browsing on a device with lower than VGA resolution is a contradiction at this point. i actually get more use out of my WiFi connection with emails and AIM than i do with wireless web, and that's mainly because of my built-in keyboard. i've tried using Graffiti 2 (the default handwriting recognition) and it sucks for long messages, although a similar method combined with a word list that pops up as you type (default on Pocket PCs) would be suitable for DS chatting.

The only way i'd buy a DS web browser is if it were $20 or part of a suite of intergrated applications that included an address book, organizer, memo pad, and maybe a simple MP3 player, with the first three apps syncable to my PDA's software. It would be nice to be able to leave the PDA at home once and a while. But there's simply too much a DS web browser would need to do and do well for Nintendo to release one.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the web is more complex than this example, that looks like it's stuck in the HTML 1.0/2.0 era. Also, this example looks like it's longer than the DS's dual screens combined. Still, viewing a site on a device with less than half the horizontal resolution causes problem. Sites with no more than three columns of text are fairly readable, but graphics become cryptic when scaled down to fit on smaller screens. Hardware limitations also come into play. A PC has much more processing power, RAM, and hard drive space than a portable, at least the DS from what i can tell, which notably affects the the loading and size of allowable pages and media playback.

Actually, majority, if not every site I go to often works with this SSR software. I even tried it out myself with a Mozilla plugin. Also things like N-Gage and such already use this software and as do majority of cell phones. They don't have any sort of problem displaying these simple sites which I use far more often than any larger websites. Actually, the screen is elongated because it's meant to be scrolled vertically and eliminate any and all horizontal scrolling., not viewed on one screen. The software allows for any resolutions on current cell phones to display in that manner regardless of their resolution.

Look here: http://www.opera.com/products/smartphone/smallscreen/ <- Plenty of examples if you'd like to see them.

Secondly, I don't think anyone here was intending on using it in the same manner as their PC, so I don't see why you guys are making such a big fuss.

akascream

Banned
Not much info of course, but the disturbing thing was she mentioned wireless LAN play but nothing more about an online service.

I will never understand why people think you need a 'service'. What, the NDS needs buddy lists and a headset to be successful online? I think Sony takes the best approach here. Make "partners" with AOL and talk big about some online service so people can check that box off thier fanboy argument list, then just give developers the freedom to use the hardware how they wish.

Top Bottom