• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

maxmars

Doc Holliday said:
I'm gonna cry.....I just moved and my new roomies only used Linux, i cant get a stream to work. My pc gets here after the nintendo conference wahhhhhhh.

Advice from another Linux user:

Have them install you MPlayer (www.mplayerhq.com) and you're set to view wmv, mov, wma, avi etc files. Even inside a browser of course.

As for Flash movie players, well Flash for Linux nowadays is installed by default, if not it's just a click away with Firefox.

What distro are you using?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
maxmars said:
Advice from another Linux user:

Have them install you MPlayer (www.mplayerhq.com) and you're set to view wmv, mov, wma, avi etc files. Even inside a browser of course.

As for Flash movie players, well Flash for Linux nowadays is installed by default, if not it's just a click away with Firefox.

What distro are you using?

Thank you, you're a good man:)

They are using Kubuntu.

SFA_AOK

Doc - look for Automaitx, it's a script which should sort things out. Not 100% sure it works with Kubuntu but it does with Ubuntu so it quite possibly does.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
SFA_AOK said:
Doc - look for Automaitx, it's a script which should sort things out. Not 100% sure it works with Kubuntu but it does with Ubuntu so it quite possibly does.

You sure you spelled that correctly? cant find anything on google.

medrew

With Linux I load it up in mplayer to extract the mms link and then chuck it on totem.
I don't like the mplayer fullscreen, prefer the totem inteface.

Xdrive05

This could be the greatest conference ever!

At least it has to be better than last year's. What's that crazy Reggie gonna say this time?!

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Alright, let's calm down a little. Well, you don't have to, but you're not doing yourself any favours. It's ridiculou to say that Nintendo can't fail to win this E3 now, of course the can. All it would take is a high price point, graphics virtually indistinguishable from GC games (I'm actually expecting this, but others will be really upset), no truly innovative use of the controller and the Mario game no longer having much real platforming in it, as they couldn't get it to work well with the wiimote.

They could still screw up in other words.

Are people really expecting another secret? I guess there could be one...but we have the nunchuck tilt sensor, the speaker on the controller and the system always being online. I'd be surprised if there's more than that.

maxmars

Doc Holliday said:
Thank you, you're a good man:)

They are using Kubuntu.

No problem, here is your MPlayer Kubuntu guide:

http://kb.gosi.at/6_11_en.html

I wish I could help more, but I don't use that distro. I use SuSE which has a prepackaged version of mplayer, therefore if there are any caveat / intricacies they are lost on me.

Please note that if you don't install the firefox plugin for mplayer (I didn't see it listed in that page), you are forced to download content and then play it with mplayer. As an alternative, you can launch mplayer as a streaming client with a command line like this:

MPlayer mms://myurl.com?blahblah=something&etc=somethingelse

As for the Flash player, be sure to have a recent Firefox and you will be prompted to automatically install Flash as soon as you land on a page that contains a Flash applet (you may need write permission on the firefox directory for this to happen, but probably your firefox already has flash installed).

lancubap

Mama Smurf said:
Alright, let's calm down a little. Well, you don't have to, but you're not doing yourself any favours. It's ridiculou to say that Nintendo can't fail to win this E3 now, of course the can. All it would take is a high price point, graphics virtually indistinguishable from GC games (I'm actually expecting this, but others will be really upset), no truly innovative use of the controller and the Mario game no longer having much real platforming in it, as they couldn't get it to work well with the wiimote.

They could still screw up in other words.

Are people really expecting another secret? I guess there could be one...but we have the nunchuck tilt sensor, the speaker on the controller and the system always being online. I'd be surprised if there's more than that.

Yeah, we know. You are pessimistic, but it could be a possibility. I hope not.
Personally I don't expect secrets at all: just games. I wanna see just a LOT of Games for Wii. Nothing else.

CRAP

I have to go somewhere at 12. It's a "fire safety" class I have to take my brothers to; it'll be 45 minutes at the most.

Hopefully the conference will be delayed like the Sony one, and hopefully they'll start off with Brain Training

:(

gimz

PhoenixDark said:
CRAP

I have to go somewhere at 12. It's a "fire safety" class I have to take my brothers to; it'll be 45 minutes at the most.

Hopefully the conference will be delayed like the Sony one, and hopefully they'll start off with Brain Training

:(
your evil

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Yay Im heading off to the Kodak Theatre now! No F5ing for me this year :lol

Mama Smurf

That's not what I think will happne btw, just what could happen. I'm pretty neutral on whether it'll be good or not at this point.

I really want to see a new game IP. I have nothing against non-games, I like some of them just fine and will buy them, but at a conference they're generally not very exciting (well, something like AC is better than something like Nintendogs I suppose). I'm kind of worried that this new Miyamoto IP, and any other brand new stuff shown, will just fall into the non-game category. For me that could be the difference between a good show and a great show.

dkeane

Mama Smurf said:
I think if there is a secret it'll have to do with software, mainly how Nintendo is implementing its online capabilities. And they'll show the speaker as something new also.

evilromero said:
Only Sonic and a return of the mozaic tiles and palm trees. Let's keep our fingers crossed Sega can pull it off.

Sounds good to me. Atleast there's 1 team at Sega who seems to realise people just want to play as Sonic.

Benadryl Hitman said:
Reggie: "And I would like to end this conference and thank all of the NeoGAFers who participated in the Reggie Throughout History thread on NeoGAF. I would also like to say all of it is true, I transcend time and space and have been in every major event in history. I am immortal, there can be only one."

Awesome, u gave me another idea :) Every second helps pass the time!
reggie-highlander.jpg

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Gessle said:
9:30 p.m. for you
Tomorrow is the last day of school so i dont really need to get a good night sleep. I'll be abel to stay up long enough to watch it.

Zilch

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
oh yeah and SMASH BROS 3 better be ONLINE.

If that EGM quote about the Wii always being online is true, I imagine pretty much every first party game will have an online component.

Wow, I can't believe we're going to see next-gen Mario and Zelda: TP in just a few hours. Awesome day!

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
I wonder what wll happen to this forum if they announce a $399 pricetag or something.

Didn't they say before that it wouldn't be above 300? Which likely means a 250 price tag.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Nintendo has never released a console above the 200 dollars price tag why would they start now? $200 is my bet.

I wouldn't mind $250 if the final specs are considerably better than what IGN reported or there's something else very significant in the box that would justify such a price.

Mojojo

old info? (sorry with so many threads going on :p)
From pics of the Nintendo E3 stands, it seems there were slight minor changes to the Wiimote..
a and b buttons have been replaced by 1 and 2, and start and select by + and -...

its from french site Puissance Nintendo
http://e3.p-nintendo.com/news-1064064585.html
Scroll down and you'll see a DS stand and a wiimote projection with the changes :)

Mama Smurf

That's interesting, they're going to have to update all the virtual console games.

Assuming you actually meant a and b and not A and B anyway.

Paultje

Mojojo said:
old info? (sorry with so many threads going on :p)
From pics of the Nintendo E3 stands, it seems there were slight minor changes to the Wiimote..
a and b buttons have been replaced by 1 and 2, and start and select by + and -...
Link?

koam

The fact that the revolution controller has a speaker is actually pretty cool the more i think about it. The way the described was that it tells you it's your turn and things like that which is lame... but the controller making lightsaber sounds, the bow and arrow example they gave and the sound effects can really turn out to be cool. The irony is that the sound effects where always there.. at the TGS demo.

Top Bottom