• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2014 - discussion thread for their E3 plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: The Iron Throne

The Legend of Zelda: Hero of Time (a third and final game in the ocarina of time trilogy)

Daknight

You know what off the wall revival it's time for?

Ogre Fucking Battle

The Wii U game pad is perfects for OB's gameplay. This needs to happen. NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

Throw in a new 1080, Waverace, Fzero...whatever else and some indie stuff (with a renewed focus on VC support) and you basically have my perfect console.
Also get G.rev, Treasure and Cave to make some SHMUPS

Kind of hard for Ogre Battle to happen since Squarenix bought them :( They were pro-nintendo all the way and would only release Ogre Battle (main games) on Nintendo hardware, reason Ogre Battle was in 64 when all those kind of games were on PS1. Of course tactics is the side games.

I remember in one of there interview they had a gran story plan that would span 8 games or so and would all be on Nintendo hardware xP Sad to say they never made it that far and much less once Squarenix bought them!

As for the rest...they need to revive there sports titles since clearly EA isn't giving them any. Extreme sports (1080, waverace, f-zero, Excite Bike), normal sports (NBA courtside, Ken Griffing Jr Baseball (clearly with another person now).

Treasure needs to make Mischief Makers again!! SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE!!!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'd honestly love if it was called The Legend of Zelda without subtitiles: a reboot feeling with the serie's first foray into HD would sound appropriate and somewhat epic

Nudull

Banned
Kind of hard for Ogre Battle to happen since Squarenix bought them :( They were pro-nintendo all the way and would only release Ogre Battle (main games) on Nintendo hardware, reason Ogre Battle was in 64 when all those kind of games were on PS1. Of course tactics is the side games.

I remember in one of there interview they had a gran story plan that would span 8 games or so and would all be on Nintendo hardware xP Sad to say they never made it that far and much less once Squarenix bought them!

As for the rest...they need to revive there sports titles since clearly EA isn't giving them any. Extreme sports (1080, waverace, f-zero, Excite Bike), normal sports (NBA courtside, Ken Griffing Jr Baseball (clearly with another person now).

Treasure needs to make Mischief Makers again!! SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE!!!

Would be cool to see 1080 and Waverace make comebacks. Hell, give either of them to Next Level Games.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'd honestly love if it was called The Legend of Zelda without subtitiles: a reboot feeling with the serie's first foray into HD would sound appropriate and somewhat epic
I could see this happening, but an epic subtitle would be even cooler, at least for me. It would also make taking about the series less confusing.

people would loose their shit at the slightest sign of reeboting

The series doesn't need a reboot, so I can understand why people would be mad.
:p
We're not dealing with Sonic the Hedgehog. Despite a few people's complaints about each and every new Zelda game, they're quality games that routinely score in the high 80s, and 90s.

Sorry about re-posting this, but I edited it so hopefully it's a bit easier to read now:

lgc.gif

the BIG twist for this Zelda game is the fact that Link is a
Girl

and Zelda is still a
Girl

romance plays a major part of this game

HYPED!!!

Balb

The series doesn't need a reboot, so I can understand why people would be mad.
:p
We're not dealing with Sonic the Hedgehog. Despite a few people's complaints about each and every new Zelda game, they're quality games that routinely score in the high 80s, and 90s.

The series does need a reboot from the standpoint that this series used to be an industry leader in terms of mechanics, ideas, etc. I don't think anyone would argue that Skyward Sword was on the cutting edge of game design.

I don't want to pick on anyone in particular, especially because that GIF is great, but this 'Miyamoto's new IP' is so silly to me. He's the 60 year-old Board Member/General Manager of EAD. He's not developing games; at most, maybe (a big maybe) he came up with the general idea. More likely it's a project he's supervising more closely than his others. I'm not trying to discredit him; he's done great work throughout his career. I just think Nintendo has become overly reliant on using him as PR.

Just look at Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. He did a lot of PR for that game, but his involvement in the actual development boiled down to weekly conversations with the guy supervising NGL and visiting the dev team once.

Now, maybe I'm misinterpreting what people want or are expecting, but I can't see any new I.P. that Nintendo labels as 'Miyamoto's' being a Zelda or Mario Redux where he's directing/designing the game himself, rather I think it'll be a marketing move because there are still a lot of fans who think he's the only talented game creator at Nintendo.

I don't want to pick on anyone in particular, especially because that GIF is great, but this 'Miyamoto's new IP' is so silly to me. He's the 60 year-old Board Member/General Manager of EAD. He's not developing games; at most, maybe (a big maybe) he came up with the general idea. More likely it's a project he's supervising more closely than his others. I'm not trying to discredit him; he's done great work throughout his career. I just think Nintendo has become overly reliant on using him as PR.

Just look at Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. He did a lot of PR for that game, but his involvement in the actual development boiled down to weekly conversations with the guy supervising NGL and visiting the dev team once.

Now, maybe I'm misinterpreting what people want or are expecting, but I can't see any new I.P. that Nintendo labels as 'Miyamoto's' being a Zelda or Mario Redux where he's directing/designing the game himself, rather I think it'll be a marketing move because there are still a lot of fans who think he's the only talented game creator at Nintendo.

I'm sure Stan Lee does very little at Marvel, yet he is the most famous name associated with that company. Miyamoto is regarded like that, I was looking at the MK8 and seeing Iwata and Miyamoto credited was funny so yes these credits have become meaningless

It's kinda like how Ocarina of Time's bosses all had subtitles and then you're at the final boss and it's just straight up GANON. Really does hammer in that epic feeling.

I agree, it's just me being hopeful that he does return to give us something amazing. Perhaps also a bit of confusion on my part as well because I remember reading articles a while ago that said he's very much involved in a new IP, and even one article that said he'll direct the next Zelda, though role of Producer would probably make more sense these days than anything else. His name is also very recognisable and synonymous with hype - another reason why I put it in there XD.

The series does need a reboot from the standpoint that this series used to be an industry leader in terms of mechanics, ideas, etc. I don't think anyone would argue that Skyward Sword was on the cutting edge of game design.

Except it doesn't. Seriously, Zelda was a industry leader in the 80s because it was the 80s, nothing within the realm of Zelda still being Zelda could make it a modern-day industry leader, don't try to fix what ain't broken.

_Clash_

So,

Just a brainstorm. Games have this knack of often trying to capture currents trends, crazy I know. With big budget games often sharing similar themes to big budget movies scheduled in the same quarter etc. Also extends to recent trends like selfies etc.

So by that amazing logic, the new Zelda will indeed have an influence to Game of Thrones.

Several kingdoms, conflict, diplomacy may be in the background of the next Zelda.

Sorry if already mentioned.

So,

Just a brainstorm. Games have this knack of often trying to capture currents trends, crazy I know. With big budget games often sharing similar themes to big budget movies scheduled in the same quarter etc. Also extends to recent trends like selfies etc.

So by that amazing logic, the new Zelda will indeed have an influence to Game of Thrones.

Several kingdoms, conflict, diplomacy may be in the background of the next Zelda.

A warzone is one of the topics that my imagination likes to wander to when imagining possible zelda worlds....exploring half the map would inherently involve breaking through the combat zone and going behind enemy lines.

It's fun to dream about things like that but I don't think zelda has ever been much of a trend-chaser. I don't feel like zelda has made much of a habit of seeking out new inspiration from other fantasy series. It feels like it's mostly been driven by the devs trying to pull concepts out of thin air while remixing the series basics.

That's probably one reason some people are so burned out on it.

Except it doesn't. Seriously, Zelda was a industry leader in the 80s because it was the 80s, nothing within the realm of Zelda still being Zelda could make it a modern-day industry leader, don't try to fix what ain't broken.

Good post. :)

Edit: I should also add that no one makes Zelda-like games anyway. Every new entry is pretty much cutting edge design by default. :/

So,

I don't even think the Zelda devs know what Game of Thrones is. Maybe if Nintendo was totally western it could happen.

Balb

It was one of the most cutting edge franchises in the 90s as well.

I guess on top of what I said earlier, Zelda used to be one of the flagship franchises of gaming. I think a lot of people saw Skyward Sword and thought they could skip it, which was never the case with a new Zelda game before.

As for the "don't try to fix what ain't broken" thing, I don't think they would keep trying to change the formula if they thought it was working. From a story and world perspective, Skyward Sword felt like an extremely dated game with the way it was paced and presented. Metacritic scores don't mean everything. Halo 4 got great reviews too but I don't think 343 is going to be complacent because they know deep down that it's not the transcendent game that some of the previous Halo games were.

UM GUYS

Anyone else see the supposed rumor that they might unveil "Xenogears Origins" on the WiiU?

I'd post a direct link, but I have no idea if the site is banned from here or not...

OMG I know it's just a stupid rumor, but I can't even handle it right now.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
UM GUYS

Anyone else see the supposed rumor that they might unveil "Xenogears Origins" on the WiiU?

I'd post a direct link, but I have no idea if the site is banned from here or not...

It's clearly fake. Don't post it. The thread for it got locked almost immediately.

Riki

UM GUYS

Posted.
Fake.
Locked.

It's clearly fake. Don't post it. The thread for it got locked almost immediately.

Posted.
Fake.
Locked.

;_;

I had suspicions but didn't wanna stop the dream. The only thing that made me inclined to believe (aside from fanboy fantasies) was how pedestrian MS's and Sony's supposed line-up looked. Didn't seem to have any too-good-to-be-true stuff sprinkled in the line-up for those two.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
UM GUYS

Advice, if you find rumors on the internet, chances are it has already been posted

AniHawk

It was one of the most cutting edge franchises in the 90s as well.

I guess on top of what I said earlier, Zelda used to be one of the flagship franchises of gaming. I think a lot of people saw Skyward Sword and thought they could skip it, which was never the case with a new Zelda game before.

As for the "don't try to fix what ain't broken" thing, I don't think they would keep trying to change the formula if they thought it was working. From a story and world perspective, Skyward Sword felt like an extremely dated game with the way it was paced and presented. Metacritic scores don't mean everything. Halo 4 got great reviews too but I don't think 343 is going to be complacent because they know deep down that it's not the transcendent game that some of the previous Halo games were.

i think the problem with the zelda franchise is that they don't take time for iteration. ever since ocarina of time, and except for twilight princess, it's been about reinventing the series or going out of the comfort zone for each one. majora's mask was basically made using oot leftovers, but presented itself in a hugely different way. the wind waker was cosmetically different than anything that had come before, and its open-world traversal came at the expense of pacing. twilight princess was the first honest-to-god attempt at making oot 2 and was largely successful. skyward sword then tried to be super mario galaxy in zelda form, turning the surface world into big dungeons so you can dungeon before you dungeon, but neglected to do anything about the overworld (sky).

then there's the games that relied on different control methods- both the ds titles and skyward sword, as a proof of concept of their systems' hardware. i think it's telling that the most traditional zelda of recent years was the one that received the highest praises. i don't think there's as much a split on a link between worlds as skyward sword, for instance.

no, what i would like to see is any one of the previous concepts, but executed with even more polish. hell, i'd love twilight princess 2/ocarina of time 3 where it's pretty much exactly that style of game but more fleshed out (open world, bosses on the overworld as aonuma wanted, maybe some cool new ways at dimension-hopping, gibberish voice acting, orchestration, etc). right now it sounds like they're experimenting again but with multiplayer and new visual styles and while it's great that they're exploring new avenues, i don't think it's what's needed most in the series.

Advice, if you find rumors on the internet, chances are it has already been posted

And if they're rumors about Nintendo, they're fake 99% of the time.

I swear I'm usually better with rumors. But urgh god, the idea of a brand new Xenogears project, in HD...the prospect of having a cockpit view from inside the Gear on the gamepad, with maybe actual buttons on you can operate from right there...

I didn't have a chance really.

onilink88

I swear I'm usually better with rumors. But urgh god, the idea of a brand new Xenogears project, in HD...the prospect of having a cockpit view from inside the Gear on the gamepad, with maybe actual buttons on you can operate from right there...

I didn't have a chance really.

It's not XG, but...:
cke.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom