• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo @ E3 - No Direct, Just Zelda Treehouse Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it's going to be a long six months from E3. ^^

I believe NX is going to be revealed in Q4 this year (hopefully not December lol), until then it's quite barren on the Wii U side, but the system is dead and supporting it now would only take resources away from NX.

If it's out next March, I'm thinking they'll want to have a proper reveal before October. That'll give it about six months of media coverage/awareness.

Papacheeks

Banned
How well did Halo 5 do, exactly?

How well has Microsoft been doing exactly?

How well have they been as a division in WW?

If they were doing better than they are they would have more hype, and their announcements would have more punch.

And having a nostalgia long wanted resurrected IP wouldn't hurt either.

I was right. So, they'll pretend nothing else is going to come for Wii U and 3DS this year? Why the fuck would third parties every bother with Nintendo if they won't even acknowledge that they're bringing good content to their consoles? Fucking Dragon Quest VII & VIII, SMT IV: Apocalypse, and Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma alone are dropping this year and they won't ever give them a bit of publicity on a Direct? They're earned their lack of success in the console space without a doubt.
They never said they will never ackowledge those games' existance in another direct, they just won't be at E3.
And what should they have done instead, make another E3 2015-esque direct people like you raked them over the coals for, because their content didn't live up to your expectations ?
You literally called Nintendo's E3 2015 your disappointment of the year.

Yeah, sure that would have gone over well. All of the games you mentioned combined won't even reach Triforce Heroes WW ltd.

You think Activision, EA, and Disney not having booths and Nintendo announcing probably zero games will be made up for by volume from others? All four of those publishers used to have pretty huge presences at E3, and now it seems like it's going to be Nintendo with Zelda and that's it.

The booths aren't where the information comes from, it mostly comes from the conferences. Activision and Disney already announced games and gave information on their games though the console manufacturers and EA has its own conference at E3.

Papacheeks

Banned
If it's out next March, I'm thinking they'll want to have a proper reveal before October. That'll give it about six months of media coverage/awareness.

I hope to fuck they go all out on the PR in the fall. Like times square branding out the wazzu.

They need to get people other than the hardcore faithful NINTENDO interested in Nintendo again.

And not having anything to at least talk about this E3 to me shows how ill prepared they are regardless of issues with manufacturing units.

AdanVC

You know the game's going to kick ass but best err on the side of caution:p

Game's going to be awesome that's for sure. But I don't know if I want to watch whole 3 days of just Zelda. I truly fear they might end up spoiling the whole game : /

I imagine they'll have some pretty nice interviews with the developers. The Treehouse stuff is always really good about that.

I'm also going to say that the book that Link carries is also his companion in this game. There's probably some ancient being trapped inside. It'd be nice if there was an option to limit the amount of clues your companion gives you while you play.

I just really want to hear the music. I bet they have a live performance of some kind, too.

Oh my that's something I'm truly looking forward, the music! Music output on Nintendo games lately has been stellar. Especially on games like MK8.

ironcreed

Banned
They are preparing their most important console in the history of the company.

I wish them luck, because the only impression I have been getting from them for awhile now is:

50954-dog-scooch-gif--trail-of-geniu-juIC.gif

Game's going to be awesome that's for sure. But I don't know if I want to watch whole 3 days of just Zelda. I truly fear they might end up spoiling the whole game.
That's a real fear of mine, I have no will power in these cases either.
I swear I saw 60 to 70% of Tropical Freeze before it came out.

The booths aren't where the information comes from, it mostly comes from the conferences.

You get a couple minutes of information and a trailer/short clip of gameplay footage from the conferences.

"Most of" the information comes either from hands-on/extended preview sessions on the show floor and/or from meetings with developers who are attending E3.

And not having anything to at least talk about this E3 to me shows how ill prepared they are regardless of issues with manufacturing units.

I'm not sure I'd call it "ill prepared." They're working on a new product and they're not ready to show it at E3. They probably don't want to show it at E3. E3 is basically an arm wrestling match these days and Nintendo focuses on things that aren't necessarily about raw power. If they showed up with NX and it's "underpowered" compared to Playstation Neo and Xbox Two, guess what's gonna happen again?

Again, they're not obligated to use E3. Nobody is. You can reveal things and get your own coverage. It doesn't mean they're ill prepared, and I find that people are tossing around far too much conjecture about it.

I PRESENT A POSITIVE.

Nintendo must be HELLA confident in this zelda title. The amount of time it's had in the oven and the promises of re-thinking conventions has me excited.

They could have easily brought some more titles along with them, they had enough faith that zelda will tide people over. Nintendo do stupid things at times, but the company is not inherently stupid.

Heck if Zelda U ends up wowing me I'll just be more excited to see what improvements the NX will bring. I loved what I've seen of the game already, the graphics and the princess mononoke vibes especially.

The Boat

I'm guessing we'll have a big direct in September/ early October and localized press events around the world prior to NX's launch.

Do we even have any proofs beside vague rumours that there are people actually developping things on NX? (serious question).

Bandai Temco, I think, or another japanese dev.

Their latest investor meeting, they had NX listen alongside other consoles + PC as platforms for which they are developing.

So, when do yall think they will finally have there own private reveal...like Space World, or something like that. Are we REALLY gonna have to wait until next year...

I PRESENT A POSITIVE.

Nintendo must be HELLA confident in this zelda title. The amount of time it's had in the oven and the promises of re-thinking conventions has me excited.

They could have easily brought some more titles along with them, they had enough faith that zelda will tide people over. Nintendo do stupid things at times, but the company is not inherently stupid.

Heck if Zelda U ends up wowing me I'll just be more excited to see what improvements the NX will bring. I loved what I've seen of the game already, the graphics and the princess mononoke vibes especially.
I agree with all of this pretty much, going all in with one game is risky and they seem super confident in it. The skeptical side of me thinks it could turn out to be "just another Zelda"(which is hardly a bad thing) but with the secrecy and the few words about the game, I think it's going to be something special.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I PRESENT A POSITIVE.

I agree with all of this pretty much, going all in with one game is risky and they seem super confident in it. The skeptical side of me thinks it could turn out to be "just another Zelda"(which is hardly a bad thing) but with the secrecy and the few words about the game, I think it's going to be something special.

Don't overhype yourself. It's most probably an emergency solution. That doesn't mean Zelda won't be great, just that you might draw some wrong conclusions and be disappointed afterwards. It will be great though.

Oh my god. How did they manage to top their terrible, awful E3 news with even worse E3 news? Couldn't they have at least shown Pokemon and some trailers for Paper Mario or whatever? Jesus...

Someone fucked up real bad up in Nintendo HQ.

No direct? Damnit this means theres nowhere to announce female Link.

So no Direct since March, no direct in June. FFS are Directs just completely over with? You could easily do a direct for Zelda with female Link, voice acting, gameplay, etc. and then theres still plenty of games to cover like TMS, Zero Escape, Dragon Quest, Rythm Heaven, Pokemon, Not Paper Mario, new IP Federation Force, whatever N-Stars are, even Kirby since it would've just come out.

But no.

Nothing.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, and will always will be since they make the best games, but damn this is rough. 3+ whole months without any news aside from delays, and Nintendo games I can't play because Nintendo doesn't release them on their own system. (Seriously, I have to miss a FE game!?) Hopefully they can go back to doing more directs after NX reveal, but it seems Directs are just barely alive now. :(

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
...whatever. I'm apathetic at this point. I'm usually the first to defend Nintendo's antics and their games. Hopefully the NX is something special and they really blow us all away with their new system and first party lineup. If not, then it's PC indie games for me forever or I just leave the medium entirely.

I won't be watching the Treehouse stream either. I was looking forward to a Direct that would have a carefully considered trailer and discussion that shows off the game's features without spoiling the content, so I don't want to see someone play a game (for a span of 3 days) that is a year out that I'm highly anticipating.

Chindogg

Do we even have any proofs beside vague rumours that there are people actually developping things on NX? (serious question).

Bamco, Tecmo, and Square so far are developing games for NX. DQ11 is on NX for certain.

Oh my god. How did they manage to top their terrible, awful E3 news with even worse E3 news? Couldn't they have at least shown Pokemon and some trailers for Paper Mario or whatever? Jesus...

Someone fucked up real bad up in Nintendo HQ.

You realize that even if they did show all that they'd still get nothing but shit for having such a 'weak' event. Seems like Nintendo just decided to nix the majority of their presence when something didn't pan out for NX in time for E3.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
They never said they will never ackowledge those games' existance in another direct, they just won't be at E3.
And what should they have done instead, make another E3 2015-esque direct people like you raked them over the coals for, because their content didn't live up to your expectations ?
You literally called Nintendo's E3 2015 your disappointment of the year.

Yeah, sure that would have gone over well. All of the games you mentioned combined won't even reach Triforce Heroes WW ltd.

Last year's direct wasn't bad compared to other Directs but if you compare it to MS announcing backwards compatibility and Sony bringing back to life Shenmue, TLG, and FF VII R of course it's going to be a disappointment. It had 5 minutes of footage from a lady talking about knitting Yoshi amiibo ffs, very poorly paced and showed very little gameplay from most upcoming games other than Mario Maker.

This year they have games that their respective fandoms have been asking for YEARS. So what you're saying if you don't sell gangbusters you don't deserve to be acknowledged for bringing support to Nintendo platforms? Got it.

offshore

Hahaha, I love the way the PR says Nintendo's E3 "kicks off" with Zelda... when that's the only thing that's gonna be there. Haha.

Seriously though, this is extraordinary. Watching their E3 Direct last year, it was obvious that they were focusing more on NX, and you thought "well, at least E3 2016 will be big for Nintendo". And now... this... whatever it is. I hope Ninty are sitting on some incredible masterplan, because it's really not looking good at the moment.

ASTROID2

I'm only disappointed we wont see Pokemon Sun/Moon. Those games are supposed to be out this year and we have yet to see anything.

This really doesn't make any sense.

I totally get why they only show Zelda for Wii U, they shifted every game to NX.

But what happened to the 3DS?
Can it have anything to do with NX? Maybe alot of the late 3DS titles will be on NX too?

I think there's something we don't know yet. Nintendo needs those 3DS sales.

j-wood

Wow. This is pretty disappointing, not going to lie.

But I guess Nintendo is so stuck right now they don't have any other options.

Nintendo has been terrified of any commitment the last few years. Every thing they announce gets pushed back, and they are afraid to talk about anything. Weren't they supposed to have 5 mobile games out by now?

Anth0ny

Why does everyone seem to hate zelda today?

This is exactly what I was talking about when I said this would only reflect negatively on Zelda. When you present ANY game in this kind of light, there is going to be a ton of negativity surrounding it, and as a result, the game ITSELF gets negativity, even if it's not deserved.

If all sony showed at E3 last year was uncharted 4, people would have been a bit bummed, I think.

Exactly right. It's ALL in the messaging, and Nintendo hasn't exactly been knocking it out of the park for the last couple of years.

PS4 had the benefit of being the first to the mic after Wii U had already had its time in the spotlight and Xbox One having messaging that was almost as bad as Wii U's.

This year NX is going to be competing for noise with PSVR, other VR platforms, PS4k and probably Xbox One Elite, and shittons of other software much of which will be coming out on other platforms before their new system will even come out.

The situations are not the same.

So... Nintendo is scared? Is that what you're telling me?

Because before they announced they wouldn't be bringing NX to E3, I was told that NX would be the HUGE news of the show no matter what the opposition had to show.

Even if they show off NX later this year (September?), they're going to be fighting with Playstation and Xbox's big announcements. There is no timeframe where Nintendo gets ALL of the spotlight. That's just how the world works.

Either way, treating E3 like a complete afterthought does them NO favors.

Do you think Nintendo has been paying their many dev teams to sit around and twiddle their thumbs for the last 2-3 years?

No. But yeah, kind of.
I haven't seen anything to prove this wrong. And their plan for the rest of this year and the next isn't giving me great hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom