• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo @ E3 - No Direct, Just Zelda Treehouse Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Banned
By what metrics do you ever consider wii a failure? That the sales slowed down by 2011? That third party didn't support it as much?

Did people misread my post? I was talking about Wii U being th failed console. Wii was successful for the 3-4 years it was relevant for.

I don't think people would argue after Mario Galaxy 2 Wii just declined very rapidly and motion control was pretty much dead.

Do you not understand where the company is right now in mind-share and presence in the industry?

Do you not understand there are other products like PSVR, PSNEO, and a new redesigned XBox coming close to the same time that will have E3 coverage? So when will people start talking about Nintendo? In fall when all this shit may drop or have a PR push for Sony and MS?

That's what your not understanding like at all. Nintendo is in a bad spot in general because no one is talking about them to the extent they are about the other companies. No one is talking about leaks in a positive way like they are with MS and Sony. Though there is hate and negativity on NEO, people are still talking about it.

There is like no one talking about Nintendo or excited by news because they have shit to talk about and it's been shit for a while.

The company as a whole is riding on this NX. If it doesn't pan out Nintendo hardware will be a thing of the past.

I think you're being a little dire here. PSVR, NEO and Xbox aren't going to make the same kind of dent as brand new consoles. Maybe their mindshare has slipped but nowhere as much to be completely overshadowed by the competition.

georly

Did people misread my post? I was talking about Wii U being th failed console. Wii was successful for the 3-4 years it was relevant for.

I don't think people would argue after Mario Galaxy 2 Wii just declined very rapidly and motion control was pretty much dead.

Sorry, I misread it as wii was the start of their failure. Yes, they were definitely slowing down in momentum and failed to pick it back up w/ Wii U.

Nintendo... what are you doing...??

They're not even going to promote the few third party games their platforms are getting, at all? At the biggest videogame trade show of the year?

I'm trying to think of the reasoning behind this but I just can't. It's mind-boggling.

MuchoMalo

Banned
This. People defending this, like Nintendo themselves fail to look beyond their own bubble. The industry right now is barely interested in Nintendo anymore. The market doesn't revolve around them and people (outside GAF) aren't gonna adjust to Nintendo's own marketing rules. When NX is revealed, their mindshare is gonna be even less prominent and further poisoned. VR and PSNeo will start a new competition at E3, which will again be over once Nintendo decides they can ,,bless us" with their announcements. That's not gonna work out, unless Nintendo suddenly has the most spectacular marketing they've ever had. But in reality, this stunt probably shows that they might still be just as delusional as during this entire Wii U era.

I think they could still be okay if they reveal it in July or August, but September will be an issue and October is death. While a lot of Nintendo fans are undervaluing E3, a lot of people here are overvaluing it as well.

That said, with NEO being (over)hyped as an insanely powerful, almost next-gen jump over PS4, Nintendo announcing NX (which is slightly better than PS4 in the absolute best case) is going to look terrible. It's why I said that Nintendo has to go all-in in one direction: Either a $350-400 NEO competitor or a sub-$150 Nintendo box. Anything else will fail.

AgeEighty

The overall reaction I'm seeing to this is... surprise? Huh?

Did people really think they were going to do a Direct all about one game? Or did they just assume when Nintendo told us Zelda will be the only game of theirs at E3, they were lying?

What would the Direct accomplish that Treehouse Live won't?

Papacheeks

Banned
I think you're being a little dire here. PSVR, NEO and Xbox aren't going to make the same kind of dent as brand new consoles. Maybe their mindshare has slipped but nowhere as much to be completely overshadowed by the competition.

People right now are talking like crazy and have been over PS4K/NEO and Microsoft's new direction.

Last year people were talking about games that people were nostalgic for. Where does NINTENDO fit in?

When fall hits and PSVR hits which was presold out in less than 24hrs on most retailers, where does Nintendo have a chance to blow everyone away?

I mean they could, the way they are talking about their software lineup has me excited, but we are gaf, not the average person that this needs to grab attention wise.

Sorry, I misread it as wii was the start of their failure. Yes, they were definitely slowing down in momentum and failed to pick it back up w/ Wii U.

No that was my bad, I'm not the best at writing my thoughts sometimes, and it comes out mispelled or out of order, sometimes unclear as well. But yea you nailed what I was saying.

Did people really think they were going to do a Direct all about one game? Or did they just assume when Nintendo told us Zelda will be the only game of theirs at E3, they were lying?

Because they have other games that are coming out that they could show more about?

Personally I'm not too bothered. I only wanted a presentation about the NX and maybe a launch title for that, but since that isn't happening, I'm good with just Zelda.

They have games actually coming out this year that they could certainly show off in a direct. This weird decision does not inspire confidence in their NX platform.

QaaQer

That is so incredibly impressive /sarcasm

If Pewdiepie plays an NX game, that gives Nintendo more exposure than a day at E3 does.

E3 is big. But it's not what it used to be.

?

Chart literally shows that it is bigger. Do you have have any refutation aside from podcast blowhard personalities and forum posts?

udivision

As down as I am on Nintendo, I'm not going to humor the idea that the NX won't grab everyone's attention when it's revealed. It's a given. It's probably why they can be so awkward leading up to the event. Worrying about that is like worrying about whether or not Zelda will be a "good" game.

The real issues stem from the implications of the awkwardness. Was there a hardware issue? Is Zelda even going to be a launch title? Why handle E3 in this way? What about all of the 3DS and the one Wii U game? These are are big questions now, but when the NX is revealed I don't see them mattering all that much. Even things like the PS4Neo and the XBox One+ won't be big enough deals to overshadow NX, at least during that reveal.

However, if the reveal is bumbled, than all of this foolishness Nintendo has displayed leading up to the reveal will forever be ingrained as to why the NX failed. Just like for Wii U. All this to say, I'm willing to put up with all of this if the pay off is worth it.

Rodin

It's not so nefarious as that.

They just have no idea what they're doing.
The managers of giant multinationals don't know what they're doing, people on forums do.

That said, with NEO being (over)hyped as an insanely powerful, almost next-gen jump over PS4, Nintendo announcing NX (which is slightly better than PS4 in the absolute best case) is going to look terrible.
No in that case it won't, let's not start this.

The only logical answer is that Kimishima was not the right man for the job. Perhaps nobody can lead Nintendo properly at this point.
"Logical"

They have before.

I think they could still be okay if they reveal it in July or August, but September will be an issue and October is death. While a lot of Nintendo fans are undervaluing E3, a lot of people here are overvaluing it as well.

It should come with both a conference and floor presence at Gamescom, which would also come with a huge hands-on experience for consumers still in summer. Most likely not gonna happen though. Look forward to some dire Direct video in the midst of VR/Neo marketing close to launch (i.e. reaching no one but fanboys again).

SummitAve

Banned

They're not even going to promote the few third party games their platforms are getting, at all? At the biggest videogame trade show of the year?

I'm trying to think of the reasoning behind this but I just can't. It's mind-boggling.

E3 isn't what you think it is anymore, especially for Nintendo. They have their own direct channels to funnel their press through in addition to the multitudes of trade shows around the world. E3 is not as important or big as it once was, an it's been trending this way for years.

Toxi

Banned

The E3 Directs haven't just been about games on the E3 Showfloor.

udivision

We thought Zelda being the only playable game at E3 meant that it was going to be the only playable game, not the only game period. I guess we were too optimistic?

Papacheeks

Banned
They have games actually coming out this year that they could certainly show off in a direct. This weird decision does not inspire confidence in their NX platform.

My feelings as well. I want to be proven wrong, so badly. I want to rush down this fall and put 100 dollars down on NX for preorder.

But Nintendo so far this gen has been making awful decisions and this to me is one of them regardless of the mishap they have had in manufacturing, or software.

QaaQer

Well you see, those aren't E3 attendance numbers. This graph is more indicative of Twitch's proliferation. I think E3 in the traditional sense, a physical location where people of the industry and gamers come together is becoming irrelevant. Showing your goods on the internet come early June is what people have come to expect. The E3 is just a banner, a tag for that.

on-site e3 is not and never has been for 'gamers'. It is a closed industry event.

Mael

Getting mad at glorified marketing events is a massive waste of time and energy. It's pretty obvious that Nintendo is just keeping their future plans really close to their chest.

It's not my point.
My point is that Nintendo is usually good at generating excitement for their products and creating new customers (because god knows they have no interest retaining them).
You can always view their actions through the lens that they're trying to sell something one way or another.
This e3? I have absolutely no idea.
As far as product goes every other e3 since quite some time was interesting in 1 or another (except for 2013, fuck that year).

The only logical answer is that Kimishima was not the right man for the job. Perhaps nobody can lead Nintendo properly at this point.
I wouldn't go that far, I know that Iwata is clearly missed at nintendo but that doesn't mean he was micromanaging everything either.
It's not the CEO's job to prepare everything for e3 either.

As they're not ready to show NX, Zelda is really the only exciting thing that they're ready to have a blowout on. Had the Wii U cycle not been a failure I'm sure things would be different. They're obviously focusing on NX/game development right now and have been for a while. Their recent console was a failure and it's logical to me that they've moved on. This has led to a barren last few years for the Wii U, but there's still been some strong games for it, if very few in number.

Again if the Wii U weren't a failure, NX probably wouldn't be this far along, I doubt it'd be coming out in March, and they'd have more Wii U software to show at E3. As circumstance has it, Zelda is really the only big thing they have ready at the moment.

Sure, that is just very scary from an external perspective. It points to serious internal mismanagement or absolute genius about to be unleashed. There really isn't much room for error.

I say this as someone who got a Wii U this last year just for Mario maker and who was brought back into consoles by the Gamecube after bowing out post-Saturn. The Xbox is my primary platform but I will always pick up a Nintendo system as a secondary if they have a magic moment.

I don't want them to fail; their communication in the last 6 months is confusing and you can't help but feel that a real need to start transitioning from the old guard to new mixed with a business need to have their next platform be huge is creating a very dangerous situation.

I'm guessing Nintendo are truly confident in the new Zelda then... Hope this strategy pays off for them and fans, because right now I'm feeling pretty down on E3 2016 - after the news the other week, now we find out there won't even be a digital event to look forward to from Nintendo.

There has to be something big, or something about Zelda they've yet to reveal that'll get people buzzed.

Hylian7

So really dumb question, is this confirmed they aren't going back to a traditional press conference either?

This makes no sense. I'm sure the new Zelda will be cool, but they really have nothing else?! Not even for 3DS?

This gives a terrible impression to 3rd party publishers and fans in general.

Yes.

Sony and MS show off third party games in a big way at EVERY E3.

Nintendo on the other hand is completely bowing out from that here, and that's just insane (given their rocky relationship with them in general, they can't afford to do this). They do in fact have some third party games on 3DS this year that are really worth promoting. The situation with Dragon Quest is dire in the West right now especially after Heroes bombed, they should be marketing the shit out of VII and VIII at every opportunity they get to make sure that doesn't happen again.

It pains me to see the early signs of yet more 3rd party games being sent out to die on Nintendo platforms.

Space World 2016 hype.
My first thought. What I gather is that 2017 must be a monster of a year for them so they're going to have a big LoZ showcase at E3 so when they revive Space World in November, we'll see just what the NX is and their launch and launch window line up. This just HAS to be it though I am surprised not even a small Direct for the 3DS.

I suppose the difference between myself and others is that I'm somewhat optimistic about things. It's possible that the thing is another Wii U, but I doubt they're trying to repeat this so I have to have confidence that they're doing something really cool.

I'm fairly optimistic that they'll create something cool, I'm just not convinced that they can get everything right, so I'm expecting one or two of messaging, power, cost, third party support, timely first party titles etc. to slip. They need to appeal to a wider audience for starters, and having minimal E3 presence doesn't help, no matter what many think of its relevancy.

Ridley327

Yes.

Sony and MS show off third party games in a big way at EVERY E3.

Nintendo on the other hand is completely bowing out from that here, and that's just insane (given their rocky relationship with them in general, they can't afford to do this). They do in fact have some third party games on 3DS this year that are really worth promoting. The situation with Dragon Quest is dire in the West right now especially after Heroes bombed, they should be marketing the shit out of VII and VIII at every opportunity they get to make sure that doesn't happen again.

It pains me to see the early signs of yet more 3rd party games being sent out to die on Nintendo platforms.

You can hardly blame Nintendo for Dragon Quest's failures in the west. If anything, they have been a bright spot for the franchise, given how well DQ9 wound up doing outside of Japan.

Blame DQ's western failures on having a shitty dad and not on their occasionally cool uncle.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

This reminds me. Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens releases 2 weeks after E3. How come Nintendo isn't able to do some kind of a deal even for this (Lego and Star Wars are perfect match for Nintendo audience) is beyond my understanding. You don't have anything to show, show this damn game, make some marketing deal, get some exclusive DLC (like Star Fox cameo or something). Put this in highlight.

I don't get it, really. I know they won't show the NX at E3 but they could show everything else currently schedule for 3DS and WiiU.

Pokémon Sun and Moon
Monster Hunter Generations
Dragon Quest VII and VIII
Zelda U
Paper Mario Colors
Tokyo Mirage Sessions

And I'm sure I'm forgetting more games. I mean, not even a nintendo world championships? It was such a good event last year.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
As down as I am on Nintendo, I'm not going to humor the idea that the NX won't grab everyone's attention when it's revealed.

Will it? Wii was left to die. Wii U was a failure. Nintendo, as a console maker, is on no one's radar. The only positive attention they get outside of their fans are mobile phone announcements.

Nothing they are doing inspires confidence. Compare this to how Sony masterfully handled PS4's lead up and launch. THAT grabbed everyone's attention.

Ridley327

This reminds me. Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens releases 2 weeks after E3. How come Nintendo isn't able to do some kind of a deal even for this (Lego and Star Wars are perfect match for Nintendo audience) is beyond my understanding. You don't have anything to show, show this damn game, make some marketing deal, get some exclusive DLC (like Star Fox cameo or something). Put this in highlight.

I'm pretty sure Sony already has a deal for that game. They've been going hard on both LEGO and Disney recently.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
This gives a terrible impression to 3rd party publishers and fans in general.

Yeah, a lot of third party games are essentially being sent out to die with little fanfare, unless Nintendo has a Direct planned for a different time. 7th Dragon III VFD, Corpse Party, and SMT: Apocalypse deserve better.

And that doesn't include third party developed games that Nintendo are publishing in the west, like Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3D.

gamerMan

Is that even possible?
Mario64 was the showing of the n64 potential and how the future was about gaming in 3D environments.

Was Mario 64 even possible at the time?

I think it is. Zelda is about showing open worlds and the future of doing open world adventure games. The idea of just dropping someone in a world has been done but I feel it has never been done right except in the original Zelda on the NES. The overworlds in the 3D Zelda games sucked.

georly

So Nintendo went from potentially having one their best E3 ever to the worst E3 ever.

This is the real disappointment. 6 months ago I would have thought 2016 was THE nintendo year, now it's not even an exciting E3. Sony played their hand last year, no way they can top it. Curious what microsoft brings, but nothing I can think of will excite me.

I'm also not an EA or Ubi fan, and unless bethesda shows off the next elder scrolls (on a new engine), I won't be excited by them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom