• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop update officially released [New Update: Fixes Ridge Racer 3DS issue]

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
isny said:
Again, holding Start OR Select is for adding the border.

Holding L+R and hitting Y while in game lets you toggle between colors.

Great, thanks. I wish the game would remember the border setting, and the holding start, or select would simply toggle it.

Clunker

Got the update and logged on this morning with no problems. Overall the eShop is a vastly superior interface compared to the DSi and Wii Shop setups -- I love the screenshots and videos, and they need to keep adding more! -- but the main page seems like it suffers from the same problem the original DSi & XL dashboard screens had: Icons are huge and you have to scroll right and left to see anything beyond 2 or 3 menu items. I like the idea of the custom-built searches and shelves that can spotlight different releases, but it's not readily apparent how to browse through the store outside of those Nintendo-provided searches.

What are people's impressions of how DSiWare games upscale? Is it as case-by-vase funky as DS games? Can you do the 1:1 pixel trick by holding Select with DSiWare games?

Rekubot

One major improvement over the Wii Virtual Console service: the single save state they give you can be reused over and over. Prevents the frustration of replaying earlier levels to get back to where you died.

Also, Shantae for £10.80 is fucking ridiculous when you can only add credit in increments of £10. Makes the game £20 if it's the only one you want.

Mafro

Rekubot said:
Also, Shantae for £10.80 is fucking ridiculous when you can only add credit in increments of £10. Makes the game £20 if it's the only one you want.
Yup, I was going to buy this until I realised that. I'll just wait till there are more VC games on the service I want and buy a bunch of stuff I want.

Can't access the shop. Downloaded the update just fine, but get an Error Code 005-5819 when I try to connect.

Tried doing the DNS trick, but no luck. Any ideas?

hEist said:
jesus... can't link to my nintendo club account... i hate.

You're not alone. It's annoying me royally because I keep seeing people able to link their accounts with seemingly no issue but I've changed my password for my account 3 times now thinking it may be the issue with formatting or something and it still won't let me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
hikarutilmitt said:
You're not alone. It's annoying me royally because I keep seeing people able to link their accounts with seemingly no issue but I've changed my password for my account 3 times now thinking it may be the issue with formatting or something and it still won't let me.
Is it set to the same country the club nintendo account is of?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Yup, so maybe by Might Milky Way at the same time. We don't have that.

Psykotik

VOOK said:
this method works for me too.

i have a singaporean 3DS (which is really the same as the US version but with region selections for singapore and malaysia added in along with the US territories).

SG and MY regions dont have eshop support however. and i live in brunei.

but i'm able to access the US store by setting brazil as my region and using my bruneian credit card with no problems. this also worked on my DSi.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
My 3DS gets an update error when I try to update, and i never even got a notification for the update in the first place. If Nintendo's press conference wasn't in 2 hours and something I would be kinda pissed right now.

sigh

Nintendo, the things you do to me.

rhino4evr

AceBandage said:
It's exactly like the Arcade/NES game, but with a track editor and the ability to change the viewing angle via the 3D slider.
Has the track editor been updated? Or is it the same as the NES game? How does the 3D look?

hamchan

Thank god I can change the region on the Australian 3DS to UK. The Australian store has neither Shantae or Cave Story, wtf is up with that?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Is it normal for my 3DS to not even get a minute into the update before it gets an error? The bar hasn't even moved yet....

Barrett2

It's official, I have zero interest in actually purchasing Gameboy or NES games. Excitebike looks visually interesting, I do like the perspective change when adjusting the slider, but mang, it's freaking Excitebike. I loved that game when I was seven, wearing California Raisins promotional t-shirts, sitting in my living room in Anaheim, but that was a loooooong time ago. After playing two levels this morning, I felt done with it.

Mario Land is fun as a nostalgia trip, and i'll play through it, first two levels were enjoyable this morning, but lets be serious, how many Gameboy games will I actually pay to download and play for any significant amount of time?

I don't know. Other than Pilotwings, everything about the 3DS has been really underwhelming. Hopefully they bring the heat with some game announcements today, because right now I see Ebay in my system's future.

rhino4evr said:
Has the track editor been updated? Or is it the same as the NES game? How does the 3D look?

It's just a normal track editor, really. Not sure how it compares to the NES version.
The 3D works great. Like I said, moving the slider up and down changes the viewing angle in the game in real time. It's very neat.
Skiesofwonder said:
Is it normal for my 3DS to not even get a minute into the update before it gets an error? The bar hasn't even moved yet....

Servers are getting pounded, so the service is going up and down. Just be patient.

lawblob said:
It's official, I have zero interest in actually purchasing Gameboy or NES games. Excitebike looks interesting, but mang, it's freaking Excitebike. I loved that game when I was seven, wearing California Raisins promotional t-shirts, sitting in my living room in Anaheim, but that was a loooooong time ago.

Mario Land is fun as a nostalgia trip, and i'll play through it, but lets be serious, how many Gameboy games will I actually pay to download and play for any significant amount of time?

I don't know. Other than Pilotwings, everything about the 3DS has been really underwhelming. Hopefully they bring the heat with some game announcements today, because right now I see Ebay in my system's future.

Did you really buy the system without looking at the future announced games?

Luigiv

hamchan said:
Thank god I can change the region on the Australian 3DS to UK. The Australian store has neither Shantae or Cave Story, wtf is up with that?
Why would you get DSiware Cave Story anyway? Playing the downscaled 192p version on a 240p screen, that would otherwise be capable of displaying the full resolution graphics, would just make me sad.

Alextended said:
Is it set to the same country the club nintendo account is of?

Absolutely, set to United States. Not using proxy or anything. I tried rebooting the system last night but that was during maintenance, so I'm going to try one more time.

Varjet

lawblob said:
Mario Land is fun as a nostalgia trip, and i'll play through it, but lets be serious, how many Gameboy games will I actually pay to download and play for any significant amount of time?
Donkey Kong comes out next week in Japan, so hopefully it won't be too long until it arrives here. Donkey Kong freakin' 94 *swoon*

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
lawblob said:
Mario Land is fun as a nostalgia trip, and i'll play through it, first two levels were enjoyable this morning, but lets be serious, how many Gameboy games will I actually pay to download and play for any significant amount of time?

Very few, but there are a few. Donkey Kong '94 is one of them. Both other Mario Land games and the three Wario Land games are more.

Dammit. With as many times as an error occurs and forces a system restart, this will end up being a larger download than any PS3 update. Maybe in the future they will use Resume technology.
KaotikMind said:
Wow this is pretty awful, I know its nintendo and online but man the Wii was better with wiiware and virtual console.
It took Wii a year and a half to get WiiWare.

Barrett2

AceBandage said:
Did you really buy the system without looking at the future announced games?

I bought it on the strength of games I knew I would enjoy, like Pilotwings, Mario, Mario Kart, etc. But I don't know. I feel like the 2 screen thing is no longer exciting, my interest in 3D gaming overall seems to be less and less. I can't remember the last time I used my 3DTV for anything.... Im' just hoping for some surprises in 3DS software. I know Mario Kart and Mario Bros will be fun, but right now im' just questioning whether this is a system I really need.

rhino4evr

lawblob said:
It's official, I have zero interest in actually purchasing Gameboy or NES games. Excitebike looks visually interesting, I do like the perspective change when adjusting the slider, but mang, it's freaking Excitebike. I loved that game when I was seven, wearing California Raisins promotional t-shirts, sitting in my living room in Anaheim, but that was a loooooong time ago. After playing two levels this morning, I felt done with it.

There are some great Gameboy games...I don't think Super Mario Land is one of them..the sequels maybe..but the original is pretty outdated.

It's still early..and there is a lot riding on today's conference..hope that Nintendo pulls out all the stops.

lawblob said:

I know Vita's got everyone happy, but ostensibly the games that you bought it for are still coming. Super Mario Raccoon thing, Kart, Nintendo franchises, and the Resident Evils. Unless you didn't buy it for those, and then I'd just wonder what you were hoping for.

But as this thread is about the shop, I dunno, I think getting some old Gameboy games is nice. Not why I got the system, but $4 for Mario Land is a good deal to me.

I hope the VC also includes GBA down the line. Gameboy had some games that I will play again, but a whole heap of the greatest handheld gaming resides on GBA.

I really love the Hold Select or Start to have the Gameboy border thing by the way. That forced me to add £10 credit and buy Mario Land... I wouldn't have done it, but my curiosity couldn't be contained. Having actually played it a little bit, I'm enjoying it again. I'm only on world 3... which brings me to another point, the Restore Point (basically a save state) feature is awesome! It'll make those old-school hard as nails Gameboy games a little bit more friendly to play too

Boogiepop

Wow. Excitebike is actually really, really damn cool. Hoping we get to see 3D Classics actually come out at a halfway respectable pace.

Barrett2

Does clicking on the upcoming releases screenshots work for anyone? I see where you can click through for a few screenshots of OOT, for example, but when I click them it doesn't do anything.

Mank said:
Wow. Excitebike is actually really, really damn cool. Hoping we get to see 3D Classics actually come out at a halfway respectable pace.

I will say this, the title screen noise and general music for Excitebike is quite an awesome rush of nostalgia. Makes me think of the countless hours spent creating tracks as a kid.

lawblob said:
Does clicking on the upcoming releases screenshots work for anyone? I see where you can click through for a few screenshots of OOT, for example, but when I click them it doesn't do anything.

Try clicking on them again, sometimes it didn't work for me.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
lawblob said:

Donkey Kong 94', Donkey Kong Land, Jurassic Park, Kid Dracula, Kirby's Dream Land 1 & 2, Link's Awakening, Metroid II, Super R.C. Pro Am, Tetris Attack, Yoshi, Yoshi's Cookie, Tetris and the Mario Land series for me. Anything without a nostalgic connection to me won't make the cut.. in all likelihood, because unlike Super NES games for instance.. GameBoy games usually don't age well enough to pickup a title that you're new to.

GameBoy Colour has some unique games that'll be good too. Wario Land 3, Survival Kids, Legend of Zelda: Oracle Series, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Warlocked.

At least they priced the titles right. $3.99 for a GameBoy title is good enough to convince me to buy a title I already own, just to play it conveniently on the DS. Save states makes a bunch of titles that would otherwise destroy me (Metroid II) more playable.

Really though, I would hope many of these titles would just receive the 3D Classic treatment. But I guess that's being reserved for NES games. I wonder when other systems start coming out (Game Gear, Turbo Grafx, NeoGeo P) if they'll all have their own border for running their games in native resolution.

angelfly

Grabbed Excitebike and now transferring stuff over from my DSi. Going to pick up Kirby and probably Megaman when I'm done. Shame Shantae and Cave Story were never released for Japan since I would have jumped on both of those.

Luigiv

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Try clicking on them again, sometimes it didn't work for me.
Yeah, you need to be reasonably deliberate with your clicks. The algorithm that differentiates between clicks and swipes isn't quite perfect yet.

Varjet

radioheadrule83 said:
Having actually played it a little bit, I'm enjoying it again. I'm only on world 3... which brings me to another point, the Restore Point (basically a save state) feature is awesome! It'll make those old-school hard as nails Gameboy games a little bit more friendly to play too
Mario Land only has four worlds, you know that, right? It's also really not that hard, so you shouldn't need saves states to beat it. That way you also spend more time listening to the awesome music :p

Top Bottom