• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: European Hardware Sales in 2012 (430k Wii U)

Since Vita launched last FY, we are probably looking at less than 2 million shipped for the current FY.

Edit-oops, forgot it came out in Japan in 2011, so probably 2.3-2.5 million for the current FY.

LOCK

Hopefully for them, the "pink" in the charts fully transitions to the "red."

As for Wii U, it is going to be an uphill battle.

Other

PSP sales aren't that surprising really if you think about it. It got a cheaper PAL land exclusive redesign and there's a half decent greatest hits line there. It's not quite something that's going to draw in the older gamers but for the younger crowd who want more consolish type stuff on the go and their parents who want to keep them happy on the cheap it's not a bad way to go. Plus the whole being real easy to hack thing helps a fair bit also.

Oh, saved me the trouble - close to my eyeball estimate.

That week 52 drop...

12GB seems to have helped in the EU a bit - not enough to stem Y/Y declines though.

allan-bh

I hope someone does a pixel count on missing NPD numbers from october to december, to adjust jvm's estimates if necessary.

mujun

Damn 360 doing better than I thought in EU

Notbad.hakumen.mp3

Maybe all those saying that the PS3 is "obliterating" the 360 in Europe will eat up a bowl of crow and then shut up, finally?

43:30 is so very far from the domination many tout here.

mujun

"Obliterating" is hyperbole.

But a 1.3M difference is quite substantial.

For sure. I just find it irritating how people seem to talk about the difference like it is close to the difference in Japan when that is not the case at all. Actually, Europe is the region with the smallest difference in ratio.

Minions

Not so much a rocket....

I expect the wii-u's sales will be pretty meh overall this year. Next year once some major releases come out the wii-u might start getting its feet.

Of course wild cards being the Nextbox and Ps4. No idea how that will affect wii-u sales. Too many variables including launch line ups and price point.

For sure. I just find it irritating how people seem to talk about the difference like it is close to the difference in Japan when that is not the case at all. Actually, Europe is the region with the smallest difference in ratio.
I don't really think anyone ever suggests that the 360 sells anywhere near as poorly as it does in Japan. The general sentiment is simply, the PS3 sells better in Europe than the 360 - and that it helps make up for the deficit in the US.

And in absolute terms... it's actually more than the difference in Japan.

mujun

I don't really think anyone ever suggests that the 360 sells anywhere near as poorly as it does in Japan. The general sentiment is simply, the PS3 sells better in Europe than the 360 - and that it helps make up for the deficit in the US.

And in absolute terms... it's actually more than the difference in Japan.

I guess my point is that I'm happy to have reliable numbers.

Pachinko

Hrmm.. these charts paint a bit more of a bleak picture. I'd typed up how nintendo needed to sell around 25K a week in each territory to hit that 4 million sold but that was based on their 3 million shipped number. So right now there's 1 million wii U's clogging warehouses and the retail channel. No wonder they did that nintendo direct asking people to wait.

So , I still don't think they'll be dropping the price until their next fiscal year. That means sometime after April 1st. Even then, I STILL believe it's only a possibility if they fail to meet the 4 million shipped target. Now, assuming abysmal sales scenario 1 - the wii U sells around 200K in january in the US, manages only 150K in february and sells 150K in march. Those are what I would call poor sales. It's still about 500K , in europe I think it's feasible to sell 2-300K in that same time frame and 150-200K in japan. So Really, selling about a million systems worldwide counting this month, and the next 2 months seems reasonable as a minimum sales count.

Problem is that it only uses up inventory worldwide. If nintendo ships another 1 million to store shelves they've still only sold 3 million consoles. It's hardly the worst thing in the world but if that track continues for 2 more quarters (april through september) we wind up with only 5 million sold. Like I said in the other thread - 8 million should be the minimum goal here. Selling 1 million a month for the holiday shopping season wouldn't be unheard of but it'll require tons of good exclusive games , better advertising and more then likely a price drop.

---

The PS3 numbers are interesting to me because it means that sales report from last month was referring to shipped numbers rather then sold numbers. I mean worldwide the PS3 outsold the 360 by roughly a half million consoles. The lifetime to date sales total was in the 360's favor by a wider margin then 500,000. I seem to recall last year it was close to a 2 million lead. So , PS3 is narrowing the gap and it honestly wouldn't surprise me at all to see them being legitimatly even in 2 years but by then they'll both have released a new console. Also, even when I was considering that previous sales chart as accurate, I still don't really consider PS3 the winner this gen, sony lost far more money then microsoft did on each console sold for a much longer period of time , 360 sells more games per console and most importantly the global marketshare sony had a stranglehold over with the PS2 was chipped by 50%. Everyone is on the decline here but sony seems to be spiraling faster.

CrunchyB

Despite Nintendo not being particularly popular (historically) in the UK, the WiiU actually did relatively well. In other words, they really dropped the ball in other EU countries.

The Sp/It/Ned/Bel numbers are really poor, these are markets where the WiiU should sell better than in the UK, at least. I guess that's what you get when you don't advertise. At all. Don't know what they were thinking with that.

Shayan

Banned
Maybe all those saying that the PS3 is "obliterating" the 360 in Europe will eat up a bowl of crow and then shut up, finally?

43:30 is so very far from the domination many tout here.

Nintendo HW sales doesnt include all regions of PAL

In the entire PAL region, ps3 is obliterating x360. Infact it is a uniqie item in most stores of asia if you are unaware

mujun

Nintendo HW sales doesnt include all regions of PAL

In the entire PAL region, ps3 is obliterating x360. Infact it is a uniqie item in most stores of asia if you are unaware

Okay, so what is your "official" ratio?

And why isn't that info included in the Hardware totals?

Shayan

Banned
Okay, so what is your "official" ratio?

And why isn't that info included in the Hardware totals?

This is from Nintendo. They exclude many countries of the PAL regions

That ratio itself is based on Nintendo's own estimates

430k? That's better than pretty much everyone expected after the UK.

It's actually a bit worse than I was expecting (500-550k) with what we heard from France (120k in 3 weeks iirc) I was starting to be swayed by all the people declaring the UK market as doomed and thought that the UK might be an outlier and despite not charting that well the sales in the other territories might be decent or at least not terrible. I guess i was wrong.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
PAL region is ps3's stronghold

it it sold 1.4m in USA...it might have doubled that in PAL region

also those Nintendo numbers dont include all PAL regions

I think you are overestimating the size of the remaining markets.

Just noticed, Nintendo seems to have expanded their data pool (used to be just UK, Germany, France and Spain iirc).

EDIT2: Also just noticed the HW marketshare chart - the UK isn't as imbalanced towards the 360 as I thought - I wonder if this is to do with the new model.
430k? That's better than pretty much everyone expected after the UK.
400K was initially minimum expectation, before zomg implied it may be less.

It's still rather terrible comparative to past launches (700K Wii first month, 500K 360 first month, 600K PS3 first two days).

jcm

Since Vita launched last FY, we are probably looking at less than 2 million shipped for the current FY.

Edit-oops, forgot it came out in Japan in 2011, so probably 2.3-2.5 million for the current FY.

I don't see how it's possible to ship so few and still maintain a retail presence, let alone get anyone to develop for it. I think they have to kill it.

It's actually a bit worse than I was expecting (500-550k) with what we heard from France (120k in 3 weeks iirc) I was starting to be swayed by all the people declaring the UK market as doomed and thought that the UK might be an outlier and despite not charting that well the sales in the other territories might be decent or at least not terrible. I guess i was wrong.
500-550k? Even the most pro-Nintendo posters weren't shooting that high, at least not that I saw?

400K was initially minimum expectation, before zomg implied it may be less.

It's still rather terrible comparative to past launches (700K Wii first month, 500K 360 first month, 600K PS3 first two days).
Sure it's not great, but it's well above the 300k zomg gave for these same regions. The UK bomb really did hurt Nintendo though, in France Wii U outperformed PS3 and 360 launches.

Also, you might be mixing some shipped and sold figures. 360 shipped 500k to all of Europe in 2005 for example, not sold through, and not justfor these 7 specific regions.

500-550k? Even the most pro-Nintendo posters weren't shooting that high, at least not that I saw?

Mostly expecting Germany to come close to France and just the the overall size of the market compared to Japan to make up the rest. Not exactly a scientific approach ill admit heh

Road

Sure it's not great, but it's well above the 300k zomg gave for these same exact regions. The UK bomb really did hurt Nintendo though, in France Wii U outperformed PS3 and 360 launches.

Also, you might be mixing some shipped and sold figures. 360 shipped 500k to all of Europe in 2005 for example, not sold through, and not justfor these 7 specific regions.
He mentioned 5 countries only (I don't remember the 300k figure, so I won't comment on that).

In the 4 countries (UK, France, Germany and Spain) shown, sales were 280k~320k (wide margin of error).

id327BgxUzuLC.jpg

Sure it's not great, but it's well above the 300k zomg gave for these same regions. The UK bomb really did hurt Nintendo though, in France Wii U outperformed PS3 and 360 launches.

Reading Road's post - perhaps he was simply using UKGerFrSp as "Europe".

The numbers I posted were from a FT article. It reads like they're talking sell through.

BriBri

Finally we get Vita EU numbers.

And PSP in Europe would I guess be Eastern Europe, and purely for emulation purposes.

Top Bottom