• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: European Hardware Sales in 2012 (430k Wii U)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Bad overall, but it really seems down mostly to Apocalyptic Scenarioing the UK. If that region had doubled sales (which would've been within healthy launch figures and more proprtional to actual market sizes) things would push into "okay" territory.

Germany also with its strong Nintendo leanings has given the WiiU a pretty big vote of no confidence. If anything its only France keeping things above water and not sinking down to the seabed completely to be worm food.

I love this post.
Glad you did. I feel like if more posters on this board were just refreshingly honest there wouldnt be so much tension with all the crazy cheerleader types playing defence for their chosen corporation idol. I'll never understand the tribal mindset of batting for a company that isn't exactly doing you many good deals of late out of some misplace loyalty. I'm a selfish consumer, and so should all consumers be if we know whats best for us.

Germany also with its strong Nintendo leanings has given the WiiU a pretty big vote of no confidence. If anything its only France keeping things above water and not sinking down to the seabed completely to be worm food.
I wasn't aware we'd gotten German figures?

However, I'd say 230k between Germany, Spain, Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands lends a good counter argument to France being the lone region keeping Wii U above water. Some certainly might've underperformed, but then others would've had to pull it up to counter that too. Saying it only did well in France just isn't reflected in the numbers we do have, sorry.

Again, the major issue is Wii U bombing hard in the UK. It performed no where near as bad anywhere else from what we can tell, and unfortunately the UK is Europe's largest market... at the moment anyway...

Again, the major issue is Wii U bombing hard in the UK. It performed no where near as bad anywhere else from what we can tell, and unfortunately the UK is Europe's largest market... at the moment anyway...

In market share terms it did:

France: 4.20%
UK: 3.08%
Germany: 3.08%
Netherlands: 2.24%
Belgium: 1.96%
Italy: 1.68%
Spain: 1.12%

Hell, in market share the UK is its second best market.

Road

I wasn't aware we'd gotten German figures?

However, I'd say 230k between Germany, Spain, Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands lends a good counter argument to France being the lone region keeping Wii U above water. Some certainly might've underperformed, but then others would've had to pull it up to counter that too. Saying it only did well in France just isn't reflected in the numbers we do have, sorry.

Who said it's only those countries?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Between Market Share and the extrapolations you could take from the 2012 German Top 100, it seemed clear to me that a traditionally strong Nintencountry had also spurned the WiiU, which is particularly troubling due to it being the actual home of Nintendo EU.

France just seems like the only country where a residual Nintendo home console hype remains in effect, perhaps due to all that Ubisoft supporting national pride!

boyshine

You guys do realize that nov/dec Wii U hardware availability in Europe was extremely limited, right? Basically, if you didn't pre-order, you couldn't get one until january. There were also heavy trading activity between european markets resulting in products allocated for 2012 not finding store shelves until 2013. With that said, there's no marketing for it, so most people have no idea what it is, or that it's released.

CTLance

Wii U was readily available here in Germany (Munich) at least, and while Amazon had some troubles at times it was generally in good supply over there too.

The Pro version currently goes for 330€ with shipping on amazon, which is ~20 European funbucks below suggested retail price unless I'm mistaken. Until yesterday there was a 20€ rebate for one game if you bought it at the same time (ZombiU and AC3 were selectable, amongst others).

We've already seen it pop up on daily deal sites for less, anyway.

Call me a pessimist or whatever, but I doubt Nintendo is happy with WiiU sales in Germany.

Baki

You guys do realize that nov/dec Wii U hardware availability in Europe was extremely limited, right? Basically, if you didn't pre-order, you couldn't get one until january. There were also heavy trading activity between european markets resulting in products allocated for 2012 not finding store shelves until 2013. With that said, there's no marketing for it, so most people have no idea what it is, or that it's released.

900k shipped and 430k sold for that period points to the WiiU being in plentiful supply. Also, I've never come across such a problem during that period as a fellow EU person.

[Sidebar]:

How does pixel counting work? How do you reverse engineer a chart?

This is a serious question. I'm new here.

I think this is fantastic that people do this. Just link me to a post that explains it or something. Thanks.

[/sidebar]

jvm

Gamasutra.
Can someone please do a pixel count of PS3 on that Europe chart from 39 weeks onwards, for 2011 and 2012, would be interesting to know how much it was down this Q over last year. Thanks.
Here are the measurements I got. First time using this software, so I'd be pleased if someone could double check.

2011 PS3 Week 35 - 52: 2.83 million
2012 PS3 Week 35 - 52: 2.27 million (-20%)

2011 PS3 Week 39 - 52: 2.54 million
2012 PS3 Week 39 - 52: 2.06 million (-19%)

PS3 2011
Code:
W35	82.6
W36	71.6
W37	67.7
W38	68.1
W39	101.9
W40	117.2
W41	90.7
W42	90.9
W43	111.7
W44	134.5
W45	154.6
W46	144.4
W47	167.6
W48	272.6
W49	274.4
W50	306.3
W51	357.0
W52	213.0

PS3 2012
Code:
W35	53.0
W36	53.0
W37	52.0
W38	49.0
W39	101.9
W40	106.2
W41	83.4
W42	75.1
W43	75.1
W44	99.5
W45	90.9
W46	107.4
W47	123.5
W48	169.6
W49	215.4
W50	261.4
W51	337.5
W52	211.9

jvm

Gamasutra.
[Sidebar]:

I think this is fantastic that people do this. Just link me to a post that explains it or something. Thanks.

[/sidebar]
I've always done it using GIMP and a spreadsheet, but I'm trying using ImageJ to do this now. First time, so be gentle. Anyone has tips, please suggest them.

http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/

I used the line tool to measure the vertical axis and used that length to set a scale. Then I used the line tool to measure from the bottom of the graph up to each point along each curve, and used Ctrl+M to measure the length of the line. (Hold shift while using line tool to keep it at a 90° angle to the horizontal axis.) These get recorded in a side window and you then export those results and import into a spreadsheet if you need to manipulate them into a graph or something...

Road

[Sidebar]:

[/sidebar]

First of all, it's based on the assumption the chart is in a proper scale.

In the image below, 400000 units are represented in 170 pixels, so each pixel = 400000/170 = 2353 units.

Then, you count how many pixels each data point has. For instance, Wii U's 3rd week has 28 pixels. Since you know how much each pixel is, you do 28 * 2353 = 65882 units.

It's obviously, far from perfect. The first thing you'll notice is that in the example the best you can guess is within 2.3k units jumps, so if the number is exactly 3.9k, you won't really know -- you'll be between 2.3k and 4.6k. JPEG images, blurry as the Nintendo ones, not to mention the usage of thick lines, makes thing all the more uncertain.

There are software that do this automatically (you can find some if you google for extract data from chart or graph). You can also use measurements other than pixels.

iblkMikdHV1I6q.png

I've always done it using GIMP and a spreadsheet, but I'm trying using ImageJ to do this now. First time, so be gentle. Anyone has tips, please suggest them.

http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/

I used the line tool to measure the vertical axis and used that length to set a scale. Then I used the line tool to measure from the bottom of the graph up to each point along each curve, and used Ctrl+M to measure the length of the line. (Hold shift while using line tool to keep it at a 90° angle to the horizontal axis.) These get recorded in a side window and you then export those results and import into a spreadsheet if you need to manipulate them into a graph or something...
I do it manually too (but with Paint, borderline masochism).

I tried using some programs before but they were sort of complicated and/or I didn't really like the results. Will try that one some day.

You guys do realize that nov/dec Wii U hardware availability in Europe was extremely limited, right? Basically, if you didn't pre-order, you couldn't get one until january.
Utter rubbish. I was checking numerous European online stores and it almost never went out of stock in December.

Maybe it was more limited on the high street, but you could certainly get one if you wanted one.

Averon

With today's news that the next PS set to be announced in three weeks, and the new Xbox not long after that most likely, Nintendo have even less time to right the Wii U ship than they probably had wanted.

I don't know what Nintendo can do, to be honest.

[Sidebar]:

[/sidebar]
I have Macbiophotonics ImageJ for other image analysis.

Set scale then measure line segments. It's not difficult.

Also since allan-bh has been asking, I get:
PSV
Oct: 31K
Nov: 217K
Dec: 248K

PS3
Oct: 170K
Nov: 762K
Dec: 645K

allan-bh

Also since allan-bh has been asking, I get:
PSV
Oct: 31K
Nov: 217K
Dec: 248K

PS3
Oct: 170K
Nov: 762K
Dec: 645K

Thanks.

jvm really make good NPD estimates. Biggest difference is only 10k for PS3 in december.

If isn't too much work, could you do with 3DS (october), NDS (october) and PSP total for 2012?

jvm

Gamasutra.

boyshine

Utter rubbish. I was checking numerous European online stores and it almost never went out of stock in December.

Maybe it was more limited on the high street, but you could certainly get one if you wanted one.

Depending on which country perhaps. We had to import from Italy. Nothing available between launch and late december, second delivery early january.

Fredrik

True Story

I've actually seen one ad for WiiU now where I live.

But it was an ad for Green Hills software development environment, in a calendar for month of january 2013.

Almost hilarious when you think about it. Green Hills proudly said that Nintendo used Green Hills for their firmware programming, with a picture of WiiU controller and a TV showing Nintendo Land.

:/

They aren't even trying to succeed. Still haven't seen a single ad from Nintendo themselves.

I'm more than willing to provide my anecdotal evidence on that point: Germany, ~25k town, Media Markt, plenty of WiiUs available ever since it launched (including Premiums). Well, to be more precisely I went there two or three times starting about a week after launch.

I analyzed France data in Photoshop.

Official numbers are from this Nintendo France report: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508889

France
Code:
[B]	Official	Pixel share	Graph[/B]

3DS	950.000		4,02		950.000
NDS			0,39		92.000
Wii	370.000		1,58		373.000
Wii U	118.000		0,49		116.000
PSP			0,80		189.000
PSV			0,84		199.000
PS3	700.000		2,96		700.000
X360	360.000		1,50		355.000

The graph is pretty much spot on.

If we find other 2012 data for those countries (at least one system), we can calculate the rest.

Currently, I'm working on the UK graph, becuase we know that the Wii U sold 80.000 units.

allan-bh

I don't understand what led to the amazing difference of PSP in Europe and US.

PSP is completely dead in US, but sold more than 1.7m in Europe. Intriguing.

Miles X

Thanks JVM!

So PS3 down in Europe this quarter 480k, Japan 125k and US 550k = 1.155m.

I'd be very surprised if they matched 360's 5.9m shipment then.

6m isn't totally out of reach (it's complicated by PS3 super slim launching), but they needed even more to pass the 360's shipment total and match the IDC prediction.

Top Bottom