• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo fans (or 2ch reader), do you know where are these stuff come from ??

Empty

This thread is a goldmine. It is liking getting a glimpse into willy wonka's chocolate factory.

I can't believe snaking was actually deliberately designed, holy crap.

Mael

Empty said:
This thread is a goldmine. It is liking getting a glimpse into willy wonka's chocolate factory.

I can't believe snaking was actually deliberately designed, holy crap.

ah? They said as much in the Iwata ask for MKWii I believe...

Toma said:
Not quite that interesting but I am getting closer. Trying to search google with the japanese symbols to find any interesting leads on these books. Only thing I found so far:

Nintendo World Handbook 2006:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/the-entire-nintendo-world-book-just-for-you-212149.php

Holy shit why did I ignore this thread for so long?
This link is like a blast from the past, at a time where you could go into a game shop see what was new on the wii side and get a different experience each and every time!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amazing pictures.

Gonna go google more about Pixar's work environment :eek: The idea of putting in sheds as offices for a feeling of a indoor 'village' of workers is awesome.

Mael

mehdi_san said:
OK my last crappy shots for tonight:

Wii Music storyboard
122f53c.jpg

Animal Crossing's city hand drawn
122et21.jpg

Mario Kart Wii track and vehicle concepts
2eb9xzb.jpg

Employees experimenting with the DSi camera
2czcwtw.jpg

Rhythm Tengoku Gold hand drawings
2iadgeh.jpg
Great Zombi Jeebus on a Pogo Stick!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is awesome beyond awesome, Nintendo should have printed 5 special tickets and put them into New Super Mario Bros Wii, the lucky guys get a trip into the chocolategame factory.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dragona Akehi said:
Just a clarification: the prohibition on scans only applies to commerical magazines currently in print.

Even then, covers, tables of contents and advertisements from those commercial magazines are permitted on GAF.
How old does something have to be before the "currently in print" thing comes to lapse?

Also, what kind of connector is this one:
dywq6t.jpg

Turrican3

Drkirby said:
Also, what kind of connector is this one:

[OT]
I understand it's some kind of Japanese-only video standard connector, D-something (something = a number IIRC).

Oh, and by the way, back in topic: this is simply awesome stuff guys!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mehdi_san and other goldminers (Page 3 in this thread):

Dragona Akehi said:
clarification: the prohibition on scans only applies to commerical magazines currently in print.

Even then, covers, tables of contents and advertisements from those commercial magazines are permitted on GAF.

She is one of the powerful ones, so keep posting scans ;)

We are patiently waiting for the high res shots :D
God, this thread is gonna get sooo awesome :)

OMG, so I was right with the nintendo artwork vault at 200 feet below Nintendo Kyoto!
Thanks to mehdi_san and the others that put all the scans here.

People here are right, when it comes to artworks Nintendo is like Disney. You can buy all this awesome Disneyland artworks for example drawn by the awesome Imagineers (i got some of them and they are incredible), why does not nintendo put a hardcover artbook with some of the best, with all the work they have, they can surely put out at least 15 300 pages books, and people will fucking buy them (Im sure I would).

I think we will only see them If Nintendo starts to work with Disney or some shit like that, with a Nintendo theme park and Nintendo animations, best fusion ever.

Someone is now dead because of this scan surely:
2q36hk0.jpg

OMG, so I was right with the nintendo artwork vault at 200 feet below Nintendo Kyoto!
Thanks to mehdi_san and the others that put all the scans here.

How didnt this thread catch more attention is just stupid.

Doorman

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I'm getting a weird late Disney, Emperor's New Groove-sort of vibe from the picture in the top right corner. I know I've seen the bottom part of it before, with the three Links. Interesting to see how they considered what sort of age to make Link for Wind Waker!

And I would consider seriously hurting somebody for the opportunity to see some concept drawings for Super Mario Galaxy.

Azure J

Doorman said:
And I would consider seriously hurting somebody for the opportunity to see some concept drawings for Super Mario Galaxy.

Heh, this tells me that I'm more dedicated as I'd beat the shit out of anyone no questions asked for Galaxy concept art. That's my would-be holy grail of game art.

Neomoto

My god. This is just amazing! Just imagine what secrets Nintendo holds. Countless of games (and hardware) - released but also cancelled / in the making, across more than 25 years and counting.

NeoUltima

Why the fuck do ppl use that shitty image site the OP is using. Garbage. I get NSFW ads popping up when I click one.

Just use tinypic damn.

zaryn

These scans are incredible! An official Nintendo behind-the-scenes book would be an instant purchase for me. Make it happen, Nintendo!

mehdi_san

So since Dragona confirmed we can do this, I started looking for a scanner. There's a dpi setting on it, what do you guys advice me to use? Is 300dpi enough?
I wish we could get a thread name change and get something cooler, like maybe "The secret thread of secret Nintendo artworks (watch out for ninjas)" , or anything else if someone can think of something better :lol

I like to think that going inside Nintendo HQ is like in Willy Wonka when they look inside the chocolate factory for the first time

Miyamoto is there in a top hat and cane and the building is designed like a mario level. He shows you a new video game, the Everlasting Zelda, a Zelda that keeps making dungeons

Anth0ny

There is some awesome stuff in this thread.

Nintendo really needs to release some art books. I'd buy them at a high price.

mehdi_san

OK, this should be the last update: I finished scanning the book and uploaded them to a tinypic account (small resolution) and a dropbox account (raw files from the scanner at 600dpi, ~6mb per file).
Now, since we may not get a new title for this thread, I was thinking we should create a new one with a proper title. This way, the thread will get more attention, and the high-res pictures won't be at the 4th or 5th page. Problem is: i'm still a junior, so I need the help from a member...

Edit: here's one example from what the scans look like with tinypic
iqzuaq.jpg

MisterHero

mehdi_san said:
OK, this should be the last update: I finished scanning the book and uploaded them to a tinypic account (small resolution) and a dropbox account (raw files from the scanner at 600dpi, ~6mb per file).
Now, since we may not get a new title for this thread, I was thinking we should create a new one with a proper title. This way, the thread will get more attention, and the high-res pictures won't be at the 4th or 5th page. Problem is: i'm still a junior, so I need the help from a member...
I was actually thinking of a thread where we'd just put all the behind-the-scenes/archive pictures and perhaps have a bunch of fans contribute to some sort of printable fanbook(?) from the Iwata Asks articles and other sources, but that would depend on how much content we could find.

If you have stuff you want to say in an OP I could help.

mehdi_san

Carlov said:
Why don't you just post them here? I assume a moderator may merge threads if you decide to create a new topic.

The only problem with posting them here is that the thread title is not very appropriate. Most people won't click and enter the thread because it doesn't even say that it's about artworks (and there's a mention of 2ch...). So it would be too bad :(

Sheik790

SpacePirate Ridley said:
2q36hk0.jpg

I've got the book that scan is from. It's part of the "ZeldaBox" (which you probably already knew, but just trying to help :lol)

I don't have a scanner but i can snap a few pics of the inside if anyone's curious about other illustrations. Variations on Tetra and whatnot.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sheik790 said:
I've got the book that scan is from. It's part of the "ZeldaBox" (which you probably already knew, but just trying to help :lol)

I don't have a scanner but i can snap a few pics of the inside if anyone's curious about other illustrations. Variations on Tetra and whatnot.

Certainly! But maybe you wait until the other thread is being opened. So that we can transfer all those pics in the new one.

MisterHero said:
I was actually thinking of a thread where we'd just put all the behind-the-scenes/archive pictures and perhaps have a bunch of fans contribute to some sort of printable fanbook(?) from the Iwata Asks articles and other sources, but that would depend on how much content we could find.

If you have stuff you want to say in an OP I could help.

Same here. And please write in THIS thread here when you have created the new thread so that people who bookmarked this thread don't miss the new one.

Toma

mehdi_san said:
Wait, so we are opening a new thread right? Who's doing it? MisterHero?

Well I'm here right now. So I could open it now if you want me to.
Only need the info you want to put in there. You could send the text to me via pm and I'll create the new thread.

Rich!

Maxrpg said:

Colonel Sandurz: Now. You're looking at now, sir. Everything that happens now, is happening now.
Dark Helmet: What happened to then?
Colonel Sandurz: We passed then.
Dark Helmet: When?
Colonel Sandurz: Just now. We're at now now.
Dark Helmet: Go back to then.
Colonel Sandurz: When?
Dark Helmet: Now.
Colonel Sandurz: Now?
Dark Helmet: Now.
Colonel Sandurz: I can't.
Dark Helmet: Why?
Colonel Sandurz: We missed it.
Dark Helmet: When?
Colonel Sandurz: Just now.
Dark Helmet: When will then be now?
Colonel Sandurz: Soon.
Dark Helmet: How soon?

:lol

Either way - the money I would give for a look at the concept art for Zelda: Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and similar games. So much awesome history in Nintendo, and it's great that they actually archive all their old docs.

gerg

Chittagong said:
It's incredible that Nintendo has really cutting edge graphic design in house:

and that it's simply their aesthetic decision not to utilize it for their products:

Because they went for a different design goal and may have fulfilled that goal better by using a different design?

Top Bottom