• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent application for cloud gaming devices

Data caps in the west might be nightmares depending on what and how the resources being shared with others are.

Cloud computing generally don't have big payloads since the primary purpose is to use those machines for processing, rather than hosting.

I can see it now.

- Portable device will launch. This will have certain games that play on it.
- Home console will launch with substantial more power
- Extra computing device will launch and allow portable device to play home console titles. In order to get more people to be able to play all games, they will allow people with portables to use other people's extra computer devices via the cloud to play home console titles (maybe at a price?).

Both systems will have games, all can be played via the home console or portable- but you need the extra add-on for the portable to play home console titles. The cost will likely be the same total (so if you buy handheld+computing it = cost of home console).

This will appeal to both West and East and allow them to scale games across the devices.

This patent points to a two device situation rather than a 3 device situation. The "home console" will be the supplementary computing device rather than a standalone device.

Sandfox

Well this would be interesting. The patent mentions a physical connection between the two devices and that was my only real concern entering this thread.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
That, if implemented right, could be a very smart attempt at tackling latency.

TunaLover

So, if you are far away from the 'suplement device' do you have the option to still have similar power by connecting to Lakitu? D:

I wonder if you can connect to other 'suplement' stations near you, including smart phones. Mmmmhh

Mato

This sounds super ambitious. My guess is that they are working on scalable sets of hardware, with software that adapts depending of the specs available. Kind of PC gaming but with simplified sets of different options.

That's exactly what I've been thinking.

I think it makes sense

Low entry point to get started. You buy just the handheld so this is great for parents

Supplemental implies it is not required . Meaning if you WANT to play the games in hd on the big screen you can shell out extra for the home unit.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So how about this.

SKU 1: NX Console
SKU 2: NX Handheld
SKU 3: Supplemental Computing Device (SCD)

If you're one of the people who wished the Wii U didn't have that second screen, and just used the pro controller, SKU 1 is for you. It's the highest-power device, a single device, don't pay for a screen you don't want. Best for people not interested in handhelds.

If you want a handheld, you get SKU 2. It uses a similar architecture as the console, but is obviously not as powerful. May or may not have handheld-exclusive titles.

If you buy the SCD, you can "upgrade" your handheld to have power that is comparable or equal to the console. You can play both handheld and console games, depending on if you're hooked up. You also gain a second screen for the console experience, which may be used for Wii-U type gameplay, or maybe exclusively for off-screen play.

You also have the option to "upgrade" your handheld by connecting to other SCD's over the cloud. This may be less reliable, or maybe there's a monthly fee for the service.

The point is, numerous price/feature options here for people who care or don't care about certain types of gameplay or interfaces.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So, if you are far away from the 'suplement' do you have the option to still have similar power by connecting to Lakitu? D:
It seems so. You have 3 options to run the same sw:

1. handheld + your supplement
2. handheld + a nearby supplement (AKA the cloud)
3. handheld only

(where 'handheld' could also be a handheld-TV, vitaTV-style)

jwj442

I'm really curious to see the overall reaction of the gaming community when Nintendo's next 2016/17 console is revealed to not actually be a console at all, but a handheld that isn't nearly as strong as the PS4/Xbone and can plug it to another thing you have to buy and play handheld style games in HD.
You're assuming too much. If the platform is well-designed, there is much more that can be done to scale a game for different hardware than just changing the resolution. PC games do all sorts of tricks to run on old hardware with lower settings, from less-detailed models to simplified shadows. They can start with the "console" version as the target and turn things down when you're running handheld-only.

Nikodemos

So how about this.

If you're one of the people who wished the Wii U didn't have that second screen, and just used the pro controller, SKU 1 is for you. It's the highest-power device, a single device, don't pay for a screen you don't want. Best for people not interested in handhelds.

If you want a handheld, you get SKU 2. It uses a similar architecture as the console, but is obviously not as powerful. May or may not have handheld-exclusive titles.

If you buy the SCD, you can "upgrade" your handheld to have power that is comparable or equal to the console. You can play both handheld and console games, depending on if you're hooked up. You also gain a second screen for the console experience, which may be used for Wii-U type gameplay, or maybe exclusively for off-screen play.

You also have the option to "upgrade" your handheld by connecting to other SCD's over the cloud. This may be less reliable, or maybe there's a monthly fee for the service.

The point is, numerous price/feature options here for people who care or don't care about certain types of gameplay or interfaces.

All fine and dandy, except there's nothing to point us towards the existence of a dedicated console SKU.

gafneo

Banned
This is also saying it's VR ready basically. Anything with a display can feed into this server console thing. It's like the same tech of the Wii U gamepad streaming to the console, but a whole entire device that can handle multiple types of streaming.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
All fine and dandy, except there's nothing to point us towards the existence of a dedicated console SKU.

Not in this patent specifically, but in Nintendo's general message about the NX. The idea of multiple form factors that are dedicated devices, not a single hybrid device.

It seems so. You have 3 options to run the same sw:

1. handheld + your supplement
2. handheld + a nearby supplement
3. handheld only

(where 'handheld' could also be a handheld-TV, vitaTV-style)

What kind of connection do you think they could use? In the part I quoted earlier, it says that the "dedicated game device" could be a PC, smart phone, etc even. I'm thinking they would want a standard.

USB 3.1?

It has to be something fast enough for HDD accesses, but even at that speed, the possible boost to something like graphics seems like it would only be rather minimal (using a ~1 GB/s connection).

TunaLover

So how about this.

I think the SCD is indeed a form to home console, no need for NX standalone console IMO.

pswii60

What if NX is a handheld and a box that cloud computes for the handheld via a direct local connection, while also handling output to a TV?
So like remote play? Like PC + Shield TV? Like Wii U but using network and multitasking between devices?

Well, i think i have to slowly and carefully read all this stuff again to really get a grasp.

BUT, if there is one thing that this patent undeniably(?) states:

No more hardware-tied accounts/profiles like with 3DS/Wii U ... because that would be a hellish situation of no fun with this variable device system!

gafneo

Banned
Imagine if this thing could stream with no lag and give powerful pc graphics like geforce titan quality? I know that's prob asking too much.

I don't know, but it sounds like NX may just be a handheld device and you can connect it to the "supplemental computing device" to get extra power for console experience.

That's what I was thinking too. NX is going to be a portable machine at its core, but there will be a separate module that you connect to your TV which houses additional computation hardware. When you link the portable up to it, it adds up the power of both machines and the end result is effectively a console.

All games will be made to handle two different quality settings mode. Low mode for portable, high mode for when it's hooked up to the TV module. This allows Nintendo to release just one game, and you decide whether you want to play it on the go or at home.

Zoon

What kind of connection do you think they could use? In the part I quoted earlier, it says that the "dedicated game device" could be a PC, smart phone, etc even. I'm thinking they would want a standard.

USB 3.1?

It has to be something fast enough for HDD accesses, but even at that speed, the possible boost to something like graphics seems like it would only be rather minimal (using a ~1 GB/s connection).

Is thunderbolt an option?

If they use this device as a host for online games, this could also be a way for them to avoid charging subscription fees. Someone has to pay for the servers, otherwise.

I think this is more the type of benefit. Plus perhaps physics and AI. I don't think the capability is there just yet for cloud processing (or a slow physical connection) to upgrade graphical fidelity.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It was pointed out to me I had forgotten to write the source to the patent. This is now corrected and link to the source is included in the OP.

McHuj

it will be funny when it's Nintendo that brings the first digital, online only, and cloud supplemented console.

The main concern I have when reading this is how the modularity will work, both from a dev perspective and a marketing perspective. Developing software that scales based on number of resources available and latency to those resources is challenging; having a fixed spec is like one of the big draws for console development. Unless Nintendo come up with a way to handle this themselves (e.g. you just submit tasks to a background framework and treat them all as optional) this sounds like a ton of work for devs, which worries me from a third-party support perspective. And if a dev wants something to be super-powered, can they require a local supplemental computing device? If so, how does marketing make that clear to consumers wanting to purchase the game?

I think this idea is awesome and has tons of potential, but I'm definitely concerned about the execution. Looking forward to learning more about this.

gafneo

Banned
I may be wrong, but if each home had this device in your area, there would be syncrinistic activity between them all? Maybe a spotpass for communities?

sinxtanx

[0023] As described in further detail below, a game console may also couple to multiple supplemental computing devices to even further increase capabilities of the resulting game system. For instance, multiple supplemental devices may be daisy-chained to one another and/or the game console may be physically coupled or wirelessly coupled to other supplemental computing devices.
Wi9VviH.png

Riki

I may be wrong, but if each home had this device in your area, there would be syncrinistic activity between them all? Maybe a spotpass for communities?
I doubt it'll be like 3DS SpotPass, but you earn stuff for connecting with other systems still.

kirby_fox

Banned
This patent points to a two device situation rather than a 3 device situation. The "home console" will be the supplementary computing device rather than a standalone device.

The scenario I pointed to is a 2 device situation in technical terms, 3 in SKU terms.

Basically it allows those who own a portable to "upgrade" without the cost of buying a brand new system. In this scenario, your computing device wouldn't necessarily allow you to play handheld titles on a TV however and force you to buy a home console to do that.

How they market a device like this would be different in the West/East.

Nikodemos

Rather than charging for, Nintendo could tie online play to buying one of their bitcoin credit farming devices. With the added bonus of access to games which would otherwise be unplayable on the handheld alone.

Unison

I'm not sure what Nintendo games particularly gain from increased computing power (e.g. graphics, etc).

I suspect this is going in another direction...

Godiego

Neo Member
Nintendo NX "NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH SUPPLEMENTARY COMPUTING POWER!"

Joking aside, this would be great if they release a cheaper console, and make the SCD optional for people that wants better graphics/performance on their games

Also, it would be hilarious to see that this April Fools' joke could become a reality with the NX
XzV5Yek.jpg

Banned
So the supplemental device works to share processing resources over the cloud? Kinda like Sony promised w/ Cell and PS3? This patent is crazy...
What if the NX is just a cloud supplemental device that attaches to the Wii U to boost power? It's like an....an expansion pak!

orioto

Good Art™
The fact that i've been trying to understand that for 10 minutes, reading the thread, is in itself a really bad sign of things to come .. Just imagine their marketing :p

Nintendo NX "NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH SUPPLEMENTARY COMPUTING POWER!"

Joking aside, this would be great if they release a cheaper console, and make the SCD optional for people that wants better graphics/performance on their games

Also, it would be hilarious to see that this April Fools' joke could become a reality with the NX
XzV5Yek.jpg

Joke aside... how awesome would it be if the supplimental console could connect to the Wii U? (I mean in addition to the NX, not that it'd be required)

Zukuu

Banned
So the "duct taped gamecubes" can become a reality now? Lmao.

It's weird to have a console that has "Cross gen" among itself with games trying tor un on the "base" console, but also delivering better graphics for "1 supplement" or "2 supplements" etc.

Top Bottom