• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent application for cloud gaming devices

Hydrus

You have a box connected to your console that contains more memory, CPU and graphics

It makes your console STRONGER

when you're not playing the console can connect to others and do game things remotely for them and Nintendo will give you discounts on games

Thanks, I kinda get it now. Pretty neat.

Gattsu25

Banned
As I understand this it seems you can either use the cloud or buy an external device that can be used by you or others.By sharing your cloud device you get credits? or what?
Edit: I am refering to this.
That part troubles me. Send like they want to offload the cost of a distributed compute farm onto the end-user's network upload and hardware.

Some ISPs do this (using devices within customers' home to deliver data) and get around the bad PR by handling all the traffic within their intranet and ensuring that it doesn't count against a user's bandwidth usage caps but I doubt this will have that exclusion. With the rise of bandwidth caps I only see this being a burden that customers will seek to disable.

Asd202

You have a box connected to your console that contains more memory, CPU and graphics

when you're not playing the console can connect to others and do game things remotely for them and Nintendo will give you discounts on games

I don't think 3rd parties will jump on the discount part.

Well, remember that Kimishima just said that they are moving away from Wii U in that interview posted today. I don't think this is describing a Wii U add on.

Maybe...if we combined this patent w/ the patents that describes a driveless console, it might work out.

Say:

• The NX is the supplementary computing device described, but the final evolved version plays standalone. Digital Only
  • It can Also be hooked up to Wii U via USB to harvest the disc drive. Games could then be installed to large HDD in NX, but still be processed by Wii U for Wii U "BC"
  • They could also sell an external optical drive for NX for like $30-$50.
  • NX would not enhance handheld graphics like people are saying, but would be used as a personal cloud server, online gaming host, and assistant processor for cloud-appropriate tasks (physics? AI?)

Right, because that worked so well for Microsoft. Wii U is already a massive failure, if they start with the wrong foot they'll just implode.

Always online still offers a lot of possibilities. Possibilities that - if properly performed - may allow Nintendo to introduce some cool USPs. And they really (!) need those USPs, as WiiU's "success" proved that Nintendo's own IPs alone are insufficient.

MS messed things up because almost everybody understood that they didn't had interest in their customers' needs but wanted to implement a quite sophisticated DRM management.

Allways online does not necessarily mean they have to forbid selling used games, for example.

From what I am reading, this is not forced online cloud gaming nessesarly. My understanding:

Supplemental local computing for:

-Enhanced processing speed, graphics and storage and game saves.

Supplemental computing for online:

-Nintendo network, online play, save data back up, voice chat etc.

NX Console:

-Plays games, has it's own next gen AMD APU as rumored.
-Has your user profile which can be uploaded to Nintendo Network when online connected to the Supplemental Computing device.

NX Console/Handheld games will have portable mode and console mode, or all games can be designed with this option. Supplemental Computing Device will transfer your game data back and forth between both home and portable versions when you connect them.

Bam, there you have your console/mobile hybrid without the forced hybrid part.

Now I want to see this NX controller!

Cleve

Jesus christ some of you guys are imagining some incredibly over-complicated scenarios for this.

This has to be easy to use and understand for consumers.

I'd be shocked if Nintendo actually has cloud computing as a main feature of NX. Like the patent says, the latencies are too high, especially considering Nintendo's focus on polish and responsiveness. The whole asynchronous, best-effort style of cloud computing (like with their example of offloading chess AI) is more feasible, but I kind of doubt Nintendo has any plans to use it in the immediate future, just considering the types of games they make.

However, the idea of connecting a supplemental computing device to a low-powered console physically or with a super-short-range wifi connection (like with the Wii U gamepad) is something I could totally see them doing with an NX handheld and base station.

TunaLover

Well, remember that Kimishima just said that they are moving away from Wii U in that interview posted today. I don't think this is describing a Wii U add on.

Maybe...if we combined this patent w/ the patents that describes a driveless console, it might work out.

Say:

• The NX is the supplementary computing device described, but the final evolved version plays standalone. Digital Only
  • It can Also be hooked up to Wii U via USB to harvest the disc drive. Games could then be installed to large HDD in NX, but still be processed by Wii U for Wii U "BC"
  • They could also sell an external optical drive for NX for like $30-$50.
  • NX would not enhance handheld graphics like people are saying, but would be used as a personal cloud server, online gaming host, and assistant processor for cloud-appropriate tasks (physics? AI?
)
This could fit with Iwata comments about NX 'absorving' Wii U, but idk, sounds pretty confusing for the average consumer.

Somnid

As a huge fan of peer networks I love this idea. Dunno how actually viable it is for high-performance gaming but the idea of provisioning idle devices to do computing for the primary device is highly efficient. It's mostly the same idea Bitcoin is based on, you do useful computation for other users of the network you get bitcoins but in this case I guess it'd be for some virtual "rep" or MyNintendo credit.

I assume that idea will be hard to pull off but getting say, a local console to enhance a portable game seems pretty reasonable and a good upsell. In any case shared computing resources is a very cool topic and something I wish more attention was given to over "the (private) cloud."

This could fit with Iwata comments about NX 'absorving' Wii U, but idk, sounds pretty confusing for the average consumer.

Yeah, that would be the hard part to communicate. You don't need a Wii U to play it. They'd have to really emphasize Wii U enhancement as a side feature and not the main point of the device.

TunaLover

And what if the Suplement Computing Device is just a standart PC/tablet/whatever that runs NX platform and transmit it to the main unit? D:

Blanquito

Interesting concept. Wonder how hard it would be for devs to actually implement it... or would it just be a simple *renders at 720p on handheld, renders at 1080p with supplemental device on TV* type thing?

Nikodemos

Yeah, that would be the hard part to communicate. You don't need a Wii U to play it. They'd have to really emphasize Wii U enhancement as a side feature and not the main point of the device.
I suspect that by now they want to stay the fuck away from anything Wii U related. Including, I believe, its particular architecture.

Curious to see how they turn this into a legible USP.
I'm also curious to see if this will have an effect on multiplat games (i.e. how easily this particular architectural paradigm would integrate into existing popular tool chains).

sinxtanx

I thought "Say that it's a couple years down the line and I get a new SCD nobody will want my old one so I can't trade it in-wait a second I'm stupid"
[0023] As described in further detail below, a game console may also couple to multiple supplemental computing devices to even further increase capabilities of the resulting game system. For instance, multiple supplemental devices may be daisy-chained to one another and/or the game console may be physically coupled or wirelessly coupled to other supplemental computing devices.
Awwwww shiiiiiieeeeet can't wait to eventually have a stack of these things ten years from now

what power bill

Wonder if nx is 3 systems. Handheld. Console. Apple tv type thing that plays handheld games on tv or can stream/use the cloud or do remote play.

Might explain the 20 million target if one of them is a cheap roku thing.

Sounds like it's however many systems they want it to be depending on game type and so on.

From what I am reading, this is not forced online cloud gaming nessesarly. My understanding:

NX Console:

-Has your user profile which can be uploaded to Nintendo Network when online connected to the Supplemental Computing device.

NX Console/Handheld games will have portable mode and console mode, or all games can be designed with this option. Supplemental Computing Device will transfer your game data back and forth between both home and portable versions when you connect them.

Thanks for the summary. Really helps clarify a lot of the technical jargon.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the cross-saving will work, and also if there will be seemless playing of mobile to home console, or if you'll have to boot up the game separately.

This reads like Nintendo wants to create the cloud backed gaming that Microsoft talked about without actually building or "renting" a dedicated infrastructure for it. This could really turn into a "everyone loves a bad idea when it works" (Cayde-6) idea. Given Nintendo's historic demographic and player base I feel like this has the potential to be confusing as hell for people.

-Horizon-

NX Console:

whoa. I feel like this would be a literal game changer if it happens like this

EVH

Not only confusing but also that will be abandoned or underused pretty soon. Nintendo and online? Lol.

orioto

Good Art™
So you think VR is dead?

VR creates natural curiosity. The concept doesn't need explanation. It's been a scifi fantasy for years.

It's not the execution that has to be crystal clear, it's the benefit.

Bad example :

_With our cloud based thing, you'll get more power from your neighbors to have prettier game. Or maybe more simple "Get prettier games when your neighbors are in holidays!!!" WHAT ???

_Play with our new tablet and your old wiimotes in great asynchronous games!! What the fuck is this..

Good example:

_Wave your fucking arm to play bowling!!!!!

ZOONAMI

Patents often don't come to fruition. This is potentially just IP protection for a possible product scenario.

NX may have moved away from this concept since 2014.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'd like a deeper summary, that can recap the major bits of what's in the patent without being obtuse for people who're less tech-informed. ...Like me :p Maybe it could be put in the OP as well.

Jesus christ some of you guys are imagining some incredibly over-complicated scenarios for this.

This has to be easy to use and understand for consumers.

I'm struggling to turn patent speak into family friendly speak.
When your hardware comprises potentially daisy chained hardware units it's already pretty complicated compared to a regular console.

TunaLover

Here come Nintendo online fee?
Nintendo has been contray to online fees in the past, maybe this way they can get people running their standby consoles as little servers in exchange for rewards, instead running their own servers and charging for it. Maybe it's just one part of the NX plan, and not the whole concept.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm struggling to turn patent speak into family friendly speak.
When your hardware comprises potentially daisy chained hardware units it's already pretty complicated compared to a regular console.

Shouldn't be too hard.

Introducing the new Nintendo NX with the Nintendo Power Pod accessory.

More Pods = More Power!

Get paid to host games and boost the power of others!

Play home and away at the press of a button.

The first Future Proof console, from Nintendo.

Griss

NX to be a dumb terminal confirmed.

The portable version outputs the streaming wifi video to a screen, the console one to your screen. That's literally the only difference. They're the same platform because they're being driven by the same cloud computers. There could even be a VR terminal (console) if they wanted.

Think Wii U, where the either NX (handheld/console) is the gamepad equivalent and the console itself is at Nintendo's HQ.

There is no chance this is what it is.

Shouldn't be too hard.

Introducing the new Nintendo NX with the Nintendo Power Pod accessory.

More Pods = More Power!

Get payed to host games and boost the power of others!

Play home and away and the press of a button.

The first Future Proof console, from Nintendo.

Something like that :D

Trogdor1123

I don't know, but it sounds like NX may just be a handheld device and you can connect it to the "supplemental computing device" to get extra power for console experience.
Was thinking the exact same thing, I'm all for it too. Could be awesome if done right. But its Nintendo ... So it likely won't be

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
VR creates natural curiosity. The concept doesn't need explanation. It's been a scifi fantasy for years.

It's not the execution that has to be crystal clear, it's the benefit.

Bad example :

_With our cloud based thing, you'll get more power from your neighbors to have prettier game. Or maybe more simple "Get prettier games when your neighbors are in holidays!!!" WHAT ???
How about:

With this extra box you get more power to your games. Or if you don't want to buy one right now, lease some from our distributed network*. Or if you find our games fine as they are, don't buy or lease anything!

* subject to availability.

orioto

Good Art™
How about:

With this extra box you get more power to your games. Or if you don't want to buy one right now, lease some from our distributed network*. Or if you find our games fine as they are, don't buy or lease anything!

* subject to availability.

You realize how bad that is right :p ? Imagine a mother and her child in front of those choices, in our actual world.

Sounds like Microsoft Surface Book laptop which houses the Nvidia GPU in the keyboard but when you detach it it runs on the integrated Intel chipset.

This is the most ingenious part of the design, IMO, and one that I'm surprised PC manufacturers hadn't tried much beforehand. It makes perfect sense if the scuttlebutt about the NX having both mobile and stationary form factors sharing the same games/architecture is true.

No, this is more describing a local cloud.

Imagine purchasing another box that you connect to your console to that adds more CPU cores. Or a second graphics card.

In abstract:
"For instance, the supplemental computing device may couple via a physical connection (e.g., a wired connection) to the game console for processing data associated with the game and providing a result back to the console, and/or for storing game data on behalf of the game console."

OMG it's happening.

But instead of SLI it's the power of the cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=493ljyoox6o#t=1m59s

You realize how bad that is right :p ? Imagine a mother and her child in front of those choices, in our actual world.

Let's look at it like this. NX is more powerful than Wii U. We know that from a source here.

Either:

A) The supplementary computing device has evolved into a standalone digital NX (which handheld could still attach to in some capacity)

or

B) NX will lack a proper HDD and Nintendo will market the SCD as that + cloud server.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
You realize how bad that is right :p ? Imagine a mother and his child in front of those choices, in our actual world.
Yep.

Family watching a commercial/in-store display, with two/three boxes.

Mother: You're getting only the basic whatchamacallit new nintendo, son.
Son: Sigh.

3 months later..
Son: Mom, I can get free credits on that nintendo network, and save from game purchases! You can stop buying me games!
Mother: Really? How do you do that?
Son: I just need that extra box we saw back then. Everything else is automatic!
Mother: Oh! And for how much?
Son: It's just $149. But it will pay back real soon! <Pulls totally hacked computation of ROI>
Mother: Alright then..

orioto

Good Art™
Yep.

Family watching a commercial/in-store display, with two/three boxes.

Mother: You're getting only the basic whatchamacallit new nintendo, son.
Son: Sigh.

3 months later..
Son: Mom, I can get free credits on that nintendo network, and save from game purchases! You can stop buying me games!
Mother: Really? How do you do that?
Son: I just need that extra box we saw back then. Everything else is automatic!
Mother: Oh! And for how much?
Son: It's just $149. But it will pay back real soon! <Pulls totally hacked computation of ROI>
Mother: Alright then..

You probably had a really kind mother as a kid :)

I really don't know about this, we're just going to be plagued with questions about how many NX you need to duct tape together to be as powerful as the PS5.

J@hranimo

Banned
Gah, I can't help but get excited when these patents thread pop up lol. Props to Rosti for always being on top of it.

Multiple device sharing the cloud device...this is interesting and really sounds like the full next step for Nintendo Account and the NX. Hearing this myself also confirms that the console should be pretty strong. Next gen Nintendo is looking promising.

ZOONAMI

This could end up working quite well as a long term life cycle strategy for Nintendo.

If base Nintendo box is on par with PS4, adding this secondary device allows them to release an upgraded secondary device that will close any gap on PS5/next Xbox once they are released.

Top Bottom