• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent application for cloud gaming devices

Deasnutz

Banned
Imagine if this thing could stream with no lag and give powerful pc graphics like geforce titan quality? I know that's prob asking too much.

I don't understand how anything cloud would help with lag/latency.

No amount of processing power will improve your round trip packet latency.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I don't understand how anything cloud would help with lag/latency.
Shortening distances and reducing hops helps with lag. The rest is a matter of c.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Commercial could be rad.

You've got a kid playing Mario on the handheld unit having a good time. All of a sudden his older brother appears and says something like "Nice game 'lil bro, but I think you could use a boost."

His brother slams a Power Pod on the table, and all of a sudden crazy 90's lightning effects show the game jumping from the handheld to the TV with much increased graphical fidelity.

(tiny text reads: lightning does not actually strike your television when using the Power Pod :) )

Older brother: "So what do you think?"

Younger brother: "Awesome! You got any more?"

Older brother: "I got you bro. Gimmie one sec."

Older brother uses his Nintendo Account on his phone to check if any of his friends are on, calls them up and says:"I think we need a Power Boost".

Camera zooms out and shows a bunch of lightning zipping from homes all over the world in a cool connected matrix type fashion. Camera zooms back to the TV in the kids room showing that Mario game in even higher fidelity. Little bro's mind is blown.

The futureproof Nintendo NX. More Pods = More Power.

Now you're playing with the power of X.

Or something like that lol

boxter432

Commercial could be rad.

You've got a kid playing Mario on the handheld unit having a good time. All of a sudden his older brother appears and says something like "Nice game 'lil bro, but I think you could use a boost."

His brother slams a Power Pod on the table, and all of a sudden crazy 90's lightning effects show the game jumping from the handheld to the TV with much increased graphical fidelity.

(tiny text reads: lightning does not actually strike your television when using the Power Pod :) )

Older brother uses his Nintendo Account on his phone to check if any of his friends are on, calls them up and says:"I think we need a Power Boost".

Camera zooms out and shows a bunch of lightning zipping all over the world in a cool connected matrix type fashion. Camera zooms back to the TV in the kids room showing that Mario game in even higher fidelity. Little bro's mind is blown.

The futureproof Nintendo NX. More Pods, More Power.

I want this. 90's commercial and all.

Deku89

I really don't know about this, we're just going to be plagued with questions about how many NX you need to duct tape together to be as powerful as the PS5.

How else are they supposed to sell 12 million of these things? Sell each at $50 and connect as many as you want. Duct tapes comes with a bundle of 5.

Jal

tmpphpfghfjf-cgwiihd.jpg

It's actually happening.

Minions

Interesting idea, sharing your "home" console with others when it is not in use. I wonder what credits can be used for.

This could either be amazing, or fail catastrophically. Big risk combining both markets they are in into one. Previously if one was weak, the other could cover the losses.

The_Lump

Banned
So pretty much confirmed that NX Portable will be streaming from NX via the cloud. Awesome.

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted right before WiiU was announced and the rumours were flying.

ZOONAMI

This could end up working quite well as a long term life cycle strategy for Nintendo.

If base Nintendo box is on par with PS4, adding this secondary device allows them to release an upgraded secondary device that will close any gap on PS5/next Xbox once they are released.

New page.

Quonny

I don't think 3rd parties will jump on the discount part.

Likely not, but what if Nintendo works out a deal so they take a lesser cut of digitally sold games if you agree to the program?

Instead of 30%, they take like 18%, and pass 10% savings along to the consumer.

Banned
Commercial could be rad.

Camera zooms out and shows a bunch of lightning zipping from homes all over the world in a cool connected matrix type fashion. Camera zooms back to the TV in the kids room showing that Mario game in even higher fidelity. Little bro's mind is blown.

I want this. 90's commercial and all.
I want this now :(

You know we're 90's kids when...

Pokemaniac

This is basically the P2P model applied to cloud computing, and it sounds amazing. Latency has always been one of the bigger issues with cloud stuff, and this is a really interesting way of reducing it. This will also be a lot cheaper (for Nintendo) than Microsoft's army of Azure servers.

PantsuJo

Commercial could be rad.

Holy shit this is beautiful and it should be a real thing.
Gimme back my 90s vibes, Nintendo.

jmizzal

The part I want to know more about is the "user compensation" part. Are we going to get "virtua" money for letting people use our systems over the internet or something? If so, sign me aboard.

Me too, i'm willing to spend on a powerful console, and if i'm gonna get paid in game rewards and discounts to share my power with those who are not willing to spend, i'm all for it.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how will Nintendo approach designing games for this thing if it really is hybrid? Nintendo does a pretty great job of designing games differently depending on whether they are played on handheld or console. Will this delineation cease to exist? Will games have an extra added component for play on the go? Will we end up playing games designed for handheld on the big screen and/or vice versa?

Is this sort of like the PS3 and the Cell and the initial concepts therein or is this closer to like Xbox One and such?

Basically is this a new and novel patent or patenting something that has already been done /exists. Sorry, been reading a lot of patent troll stuff and not a fan of getting a patent for something that has prior art.

Insaniac

I don't know, but it sounds like NX may just be a handheld device and you can connect it to the "supplemental computing device" to get extra power for console experience.

If the technology is there and sufficient, I would like this to be the future of video games. Console / portable experience on one device, but not losing the console experience when at home

Would love to see gaf cloud haters explaining how their favorite, Nintendo, is going for cloud now too. How will this make you feel? Are Nintendo inherently less evil than MS, just like Sony, so it's excusable in this case? Will there be Nintendo cloud memes/jokes? Will they randomly pop up in any Nintendo related thread from now on out?

My guess is no. Nintendo is like breast milk to many here, can't see anyone turning against them and becoming warriors for a cause.

Schnozberry

That's true. MS uses a PCI express connection to connect the GPU in the base to the rest of the tablet.

It makes more sense if the "Cloud Device" is a booster for your NX Handheld while you're at home, and while you aren't it does cloud syncing of your data and whatever cloud processing it can to earn you those sweet Nintendo bennies.

Instro

Would love to see gaf cloud haters explaining how their favorite, Nintendo, is going for cloud now too. How will this make you feel? Are Nintendo inherently less evil than MS, just like Sony, so it's excusable in this case? Will there be Nintendo cloud memes/jokes? Will they randomly pop up in any Nintendo related thread from now on out?

My guess is no. Nintendo is like breast milk to many here, can't see anyone turning against them and becoming warriors for a cause.

There's nothing wrong with using cloud computing, the problem with Microsoft's plans was that they sounded awful.

Pokemaniac

The implementation described in this patent actually addresses some of the major concerns with cloud computing in terms of games. It's certainly not perfect, but this model actually provides solutions for latency, data caps, and potentially even subscription costs and game preservation.

Allowing consumers to spin up their own local cloud nodes is actually an ingenious solution to a bunch of standing issues.

bomma_man

What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how will Nintendo approach designing games for this thing if it really is hybrid? Nintendo does a pretty great job of designing games differently depending on whether they are played on handheld or console. Will this delineation cease to exist? Will games have an extra added component for play on the go? Will we end up playing games designed for handheld on the big screen and/or vice versa?

Since the 3DS this hasn't really been true; the difference between their handheld and console output has been fairly minimal. It's probably one reason why the Wii U has been so unsuccessful - there's not enough of a difference between mario 3d land and mario 3d world to make the additional purchase worth it.

GAF cloud haters, all drunk on that Nintendo titty milk, stand and be counted!

The_Lump

Banned
This patent hints at alot of possibilities, but whatever the actual product is it indicates Nintendo are still looking to take risks and try to be different which is all I'm bothered about. For better or worse, that's the Nintendo I love.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Careful, junior.

Could it work like that Phone Google invested in where you can change stuff like the processor, battery, etc and just swap out a piece for another?
Might be a bit complicated for consumers but I imagine this wouldn't be put to use for the first year or so

The_Lump

Banned

Ignoring your full on hive-minding (risky business, junior); Were Nintendo fans generally the ones hating on cloud? Afai remember, Nintendo wasn't even in the debate seeing as WiiU had already bombed. That fight was between the bigger boys imo.

PantsuJo

You have a point, indeed.

Top Bottom