• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent application for stationary game console without optical disk

I just bought a 128gb SD card off Amazon for £30.

So no, lol

A blu-ray disc of comparable size can be had for $55. If Nintendo is bringing back cartridges, they might be on to something. I can even see the competition moving to similar storage devices eventually.

Discomurf

Hmmm.... I know everyone is all down on the 'screen controller'... but what if the screen on the controller is not a rectangle (like Wii U) but rather something more form fitting - that's shaped around the button and stick configuration...

Check It out:

Report: Nintendo eyeing shape-shifting LCD screens from Sharp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiDWqFw4UDM

Free_Form_Display4_140618.0.0.0.0.jpg

Ahnez

Considering how much game file sizes are increasing, and how slowy optical media technology evolves, changing back to carts is actually a good idea

Optical media - or at least the current form of it - needs to die asap

Kriken

Controller has a screen again, hmm...

Maybe the controller is also the handheld you can take with you.

I'm wondering if it's a similar thing to 3DS for Smash where the main controller is a regular controller and the handheld can be used as a controller as well

Fat4all

Banned
This is all too much to process, but I'm doing it slowly.

Is the first memory a solid state perhaps?

Is the speed control unit to help w/ emulation and compatibility across different hardware?

Very exciting stuff!

God I hope do. They need help increasing their emulation output for older games.

Oregano

Controller has a screen again, hmm...

Maybe the controller is also the handheld you can take with you.

I think it might make more sense for the controller to be a "dumb" version of the handheld using the same screen, buttons, etc. to cut down on costs. That would be cheaper than forcing people to buy both handheld/console and you could still allow the handheld to be used as a controller anyway.-

A blu-ray disc of comparable size can be had for $55. If Nintendo is bringing back cartridges, they might be on to something. I can even see the competition moving to similar storage devices eventually.

What are you talking about. Discs are still far cheaper than flash media.

I few years back and I would be reaaaally pissed about a digital only console. Nowadays, every game I buy for the Wii U is digital (more out of necessity than anything), so it would not make much difference for me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
They should have done this a long damn time ago. Along with (or instead of) that Wii Mini they came out with, they should have come out with a cheap Virtual Console branded box where you could download VC games.

Oregano

This is all too much to process, but I'm doing it slowly.

Is the first memory a solid state perhaps?

Is the speed control unit to help w/ emulation and compatibility across different hardware?

Very exciting stuff!

If it's not for emulation could it not simply be a hardware based solution for determining what quality to render the games?

Gleethor

They should have done this a long damn time ago. Along with (or instead of) that Wii Mini they came out with, they should have come out with a cheap Virtual Console branded box where you could download VC games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they released a PSTV type system later on that just uses the innards of the NX handheld and is marketed primarily as a VC machine sold at around $99.

Rich!

Don't fancy too much the idea of cartridge. Had too many problems with my N64 games.

...have you never used a DS before?

It would be flash media like the DS, 3DS and Vita carts, not ram/rom boards that the N64 used.

It won't be a cartridge. Not a chance in hell - don't confuse the two.

Oregano

It would be flash media like the DS, 3DS and Vita carts, not ram/rom boards that the N64 used.

I thought DS/3DS were MaskROM or something? Am I misremembering?

thefro

With the right DRM, couldn't you separate the physical card from the actual game license?

Instead of buying a SD card for every game, you buy a Nintendo card, take it to Gamestop, get a card off the shelf, take it to the counter, they load the game on the SD card with the software key (this is the old Famicom Disk System model, basically).

You have it on the SD card now and can link it to your NX account and have the ability to transfer the game to that media card at will.

Obviously you can also download the game to your console as well digitally and do the same thing.

I don't think the memory card is supposed to be a game card, "Game Program" is only listed on the hard drive part of the diagram.

I agree. I think we're talking SD cards here, people.

But "first memory" seems to describe what can only be a SSD! Man, that would be awesome. Nintendo used to focus on load times, but abandoned it somewhat w/ Wii and moreso w/ Wii U.

NX may finally mark a return to fast load speeds!

It actually makes sense to move to a flash based medium as flash memory continually can store more and costs less.

Discs are nice and all, but the load times still suck, disc drives take up a lot of space and generate heat.

I wouldn't mind if the PS5 used flash carts. Hopefully by then 128GB and higher flash will be as cheap as discs.

What are you talking about. Discs are still far cheaper than flash media.

I'm not implying that it'll happen tomorrow. All I'm saying is that if Nintendo manage to produce an affordable cartridge, which they already have, and it's able to contain the same amount of data as its optical counterparts, then I can see it happening.

Mind you, the successors to the Xbox and Playstation are pretty far in the distance.

Could this be a return to the initial concept of the N64 Dd?

Being able to read and write whole game worlds opens a lot of gameplay possibilities. In that regard, a memory card based or cart system can be way more powerful than a disc.

It would also explain why it has two programs. One for the base data, the second for the modifications.

Carts? Really? Wow.

Even though 95% of my 3DS games and 90% of my Wii U games are digital, I wouldn't want a digital-only system.

EDIT: Class 4 SD 128GB isn't expensive IIRC, but for my 128GB Class U1 MicroSDXC I paid a lot.

Instro

I suppose the potential is there for the savings on the card reader vs Blu Ray drive to make up for he cost difference in Carts vs Blu Rays, but that seems unlikely.

Neoxon

lol no

£29.99 on amazon for a 128gb SD, only a few quid more for a micro SD version

They are STUPIDLY cheap.

They are, the Vita is more what I'm getting at. Just trying to simplify the comparison between the carts of old.
Not at Best Buy. They run around $80.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Physical media already has a foot in the grave, but I don't think Nintendo wants to take the risk of pushing it in. Especially after the Xbox One was blasted for trying.

Also, if this patent is true...Nintendo could use technology similar to Xbone in order to emulate Wii U games. One of the major factors that makes Xbone's BC possible is the speed advantage of caching to HDD vs reading off an optical disc. It gives them leeway in the translation process it seems...

Dicer

Banned

KingBroly

Banned
Also, if this patent is true...Nintendo could use technology similar to Xbone in order to emulate Wii U games. One of the major factors that makes Xbone's BC possible is the speed advantage of caching to HDD vs reading off an optical disc. It gives them leeway in the translation process it seems...

Kinda screws over people who bought Wii U games at retail.

Arkeband

Banned
I know what they're doing.

They're not doing carts...

They're making Amiibo that have the entire game in them!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHH

Neoxon

I'm guessing Nintendo could get a better deal by working closely with a manufacturer.
But it will always be more expensive than a bluray disc, no way around that.
But there are benefits, mainly with loading times & the ability to share the physical format with the handheld.

Kouriozan

Maybe that's the digital only form factor of the NX, they kept hinting at different forms factor and not just 1 handheld and 1 home console.
Assuming the card slot is SD only.

Top Bottom