• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent application for stationary game console without optical disk

Neoxon

Is it possible to have the core game(handheld version) on a cartridge and download higher quality textures/models on the hdd for the console? Similar to what Xenoblade X does.
This would be an interesting idea, but then you'd have to connect to the internet.

I can't recall a single wii u game I have played where I've though "man these loads times are long I wish this was on a cart." It seems like any added speed would be negligible at best and not offset limitations in storage size and cost unless I'm missing something. Also, good luck trying to get the non-neogaf crowd to buy your new home console that uses carts; people will assume it's inferior, old school, or "not cool"
yea that sure worked out for the psp against the ds

Is filing a patent expensive enough that companies would be deterred from filing false positives? I don't know, is that even legal?

Sounds like they will merge the software lineups for their handheld and console with this. I like that provided games are scaled to look better on the console.
I can't recall a single wii u game I have played where I've though "man these loads times are long I wish this was on a cart." It seems like any added speed would be negligible at best and not offset limitations in storage size and cost unless I'm missing something.

Besides Tropical Freeze, I'd agree.

Neoxon

I can't recall a single wii u game I have played where I've though "man these loads times are long I wish this was on a cart." It seems like any added speed would be negligible at best and not offset limitations in storage size and cost unless I'm missing something. Also, good luck trying to get the non-neogaf crowd to buy your new home console that uses carts; people will assume it's inferior, old school, or "not cool"
Tropical Freeze as well as the start-up times for most games do take a while.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U mini probably. They aren't that insane to launch a new console that does not allow physical games to be sold.

Wait at this point in time what physical medium would have a more reliable lifetime before the medium becomes useless due to natural aging over the Years.

SD Cards/Cartridges or Blue Ray Discs?

If you locked both in an airtight box I'm sure the lifespan of either one would make the difference moot, as in many dozens of years. Through continued use though both in physical handling and the reading of the media I believe flash/SD has a significant upper hand, owing largely to a lack of moving parts.

Banned
A bunch of us in the speculation thread like blu and Fourth Storm had a theory that they'd go back to carts since it's affordable to make 32-64GB cards and its flash memory so load times are minimal.

McNum

Hm, you know if Nintendo is still worrying about power consumption, I can see why getting rid of the optical drive might be something they're considering. No electric engine to spin it, no laser to read it. Just good old fashioned direct copper to copper connections between game card and console. That's a good 20-30W saved right there. It also gets faster load times, less noise, and more room for other components, or a smaller form factor outright.

With flash capacity and price getting better and better as time goes on, maybe switching to cards like the 3DS is not a bad idea? It's certainly not something to write off immediately.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'd love to see a return to cartridges-memory cards.
You'd most likely be able to swap it from the console
to the handheld. It should lower retail cost as well.

No way this will be a downloadable only system. Nintendo isn't about to alienate
gamers who still don't have access to internet service
or have slow-shoddy service.

Controller has a screen again, hmm...

Maybe the controller is also the handheld you can take with you.
Its most likely since all NX games will be on both systems for games that need dual screens
like Etrian Odyssey V
to keep compatibility. I still shake my head at anyone who thinks Nintendo will ever drop dual screens from their handhelds.

Anywayz: If it really will use the same cartridge for both systems, pretty much shatters all doubts that all games won't work on both systems. This is great as I can buy the handheld and never have to buy a Nintendo Home system again. I hope this is the case!

I hope that they include a NFC sensor in the cartridge slot. Super cheap cartridges that are just there to verify ownership. If you have the cartridge you can download and play the game. Or better yet, you can download any game you want, and either buy the ability to play it (like now), or insert a cartridge and verify ownership.

This would be a good thing that still keeps the open market and used market applicable.

I know what they're doing.

They're not doing carts...

They're making Amiibo that have the entire game in them!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHH

Nice, finally games that will be more expensive than the gold NWC cart.

Btw, the block diagram also seems to indicate an ethernet jack.

I hope so, Wii U with wi-fi only is terrible here. It is barely faster than the PSN, which is slower than a tortoise with 1 leg.

Zornack

Nothing loads off a disc on the XB1 and PS4 though, right? How do cart load times compare to hard drive load times?

noshten

So can we expect the new games to look like this

zelda-hylian-shield-usb-flash-drive-by-zantaff.jpg

With flash capacity and price getting better and better as time goes on, maybe switching to cards like the 3DS is not a bad idea? It's certainly not something to write off immediately.

It's actually a really good idea, and I'm surprised that optical media are still in use.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Probably SD Cards. Ultra HD Blu Rays are coming out later this year.
Well I meant in terms of aging like for example how CD Roms were once said to last at least 100 years but some findings are saying its not true.

Or how SD are said to have the lifetime of about 10,000 insertion/removal cycles or 7 years while you'll use it every day.

I wanted to know if there have been any progress done towards increasing the life expectancy of both SD Cards and Blue Ray Discs.

Kouriozan

I can't recall a single wii u game I have played where I've though "man these loads times are long I wish this was on a cart."

Lego City Undercover was really bad with load times, they really took ages. And an Hyrule Warriors patch made the loading quite longer too, but it was fixed fast enough.
Otherwise, yes, most of the games load fast enough.

bumpkin

EDIT: Beaten by moments... LEGO City Undercover's load times were atrocious.

Oregano

But by their own admission putting a Touch Screen on the Wii U was a mistake (both for pricing and not doing anything in paticular with it) so why would they do the same thing again and expect a different result? I really hope that this is an OPTIONAL controller type for the NX because the screen didn't do it for me on the Wii U.

They could reduce costs by using the same parts for the handheld as well. Using a 3DS screen in the Gamepad wasn't feasible due to resolution but the NX handheld might be higher res. They could even go as far as using the same shell.

As for doing nothing interesting this year we've got/getting Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and Star Fox which are looking to make real use of the pad. Splatoon is the game the Wii U needed.

Yeah, but it would be a bit of a change for Nintendo.

Hm, you know if Nintendo is still worrying about power consumption, I can see why getting rid of the optical drive might be something they're considering. No electric engine to spin it, no laser to read it. Just good old fashioned direct copper to copper connections between game card and console. That's a good 20-30W saved right there. It also gets faster load times, less noise, and more room for other components, or a smaller form factor outright.

The optical drives consumes maybe 2w-5w depending on how fast it's spinning the disc, if at all. I think this is more to do w/ Nintendo's unified architecture. The patent specifically mentions that the recording medium will be able to identify which of a plurality of hardware configurations the program is to be executed on. The HDD will also consume power and there are 2 internal flash memories as well, with one acting as a backup for the most important information.

This is quite an elaborate and very interesting configuration. Very very different than Wii U.

Neoxon

Its most likely since all NX games will be on both systems for games that need dual screens
like Etrian Odyssey V
to keep compatibility. I still shake my head at anyone who thinks Nintendo will ever drop dual screens from their handhelds.

Anywayz: If it really will use the same cartridge for both systems, pretty much shatters all doubts that all games won't work on both systems. This is great as I can buy the handheld and never have to buy a Nintendo Home system again. I hope this is the case!
Maybe most, but not all. There may be certain games that are just too much for the handheld to handle (like an NX-specific Zelda or Xenoblade game). Plus there may be third parties who are less willing to scale down their games to the handheld, or companies who may not want to make their games scale up to the console (*cough*Game Freak*cough*).

What's the limit of capacity in a cart these days? Can they get it up to 50gb without it costing too much?
Apparently you can get huge SD cards for around $40 online.

As for doing nothing interesting this year we've got/getting Splatoon, Super Mario Maker and Star Fox which are looking to make real use of the pad. Splatoon is the game the Wii U needed.

Screw "real use of the pad". After playing Wii U, it's hard to come to any other home console just because of QWERTY keyboard alone.

Do you not realize that the handheld and home markets are different? Discs have been standard in consoles since the late 90s while handhelds have been dominated by carts. Not very hard to understand.

I can reword/reverse this post for the same argument 20 years ago against cd in the Playstation. Generational tech like this need not hold itself back for "standards" when there's an alternative with significant benefits, much less in an area with so minimal impact to consumer input as a storage medium.

jax

Banned
Lol, do people really still buy physical games? I have all of the current gen consoles and the only physical game I've bought was puyopuyo Tetris because it's not on US PSN shop

Or Nintendo can present carts as something hip, fast and cool.

I would not trust their marketing department right now. It would be an up-hill battle convincing the masses that their console isn't inferior or whatever because it uses carts when they've become accustomed to discs or digital content.

Tropical Freeze as well as the start-up times for most games do take a while.

Tropical Freeze is one game. No, most titles do not have a long start up time on Wii U. Only other one I can think of is maybe Smash Wii U due to all the patches and whatnot.

Lol, do people really still buy physical games? I have all of the current gen consoles and the only physical game I've bought was puyopuyo Tetris because it's not on US PSN shop

Crazy how Gamestop exists and major retailers stock games since clearly everyone only buys digital. I don't know if this was a serious post but physical is very much alive and well.

Oregano

Screw "real use of the pad". After playing Wii U, it's hard to come to any other home console just because of QWERTY keyboard alone.

Well I meant in a game design sense but yeah the Gamepad is awesome in my opinion. However the mass market kinda disagreed.

Jamix012

I'd love carts too, but it's not happening, probably they'll go full digital.

If they want to sell less than the Wii U, sure. I actually like the idea of another screen controller IF AND ONLY IF it's an optional controller that allows backward compatibility (though the lack of an optical drive might hurt that...)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The glorious return of cartridges?

I can't possibly seeing them go full digital.

jaxapollo said:

Lol yes? A ton of people still buy physical games. As a consumer, I find it absolutely foolish to throw away my rights to re-sell the game just so I don't have to put a disc in.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, I want to propose a theory. Tell me if what I'm saying is coherent with the patent / possible in reality.

Both handheld and home form factors support cartridges. The handheld plays them "normally", with the datas from the cart itself. Since the handheld is less powerful / has screen(s) with lower resolution than TV screens, games don't need to take such huge amount of memory of the carts themselves.

Once you insert them in the console for the first time though, you get access to download "supplementary" files that enhance the games. Those would allow to make the games better looking / running better / more effects, thus a better fit for the bigger screen. These supplementary files would be saved on home console's memory. So, you'd have games that run better on more powerful devices without needing carts with huuge memories.

Tell me if this makes sense based on the patent.

I only buy physical games and would likely skip a download only console. If all consoles went download only in the future, I could spend the rest of my days playing the thousands of games available physically.

I can't imagine that Nintendo would go download only. There are still too many barriers that exist, IMO.

Edit: Only buy physical for games that have physical versions. I do buy games from the eShop that don't offer a physical version. Still would skip a digital only console.

Instro

I wouldnt either except console DD is often much more expensive than retail pricing.

If they want to sell less than the Wii U, sure. I actually like the idea of another screen controller IF AND ONLY IF it's an optional controller that allows backward compatibility (though the lack of an optical drive might hurt that...)

How do you feel on the controller which has screen but isn't as big as Wii U GamePad? Something in lines of PS4 or Dreamcast controllers.

Well I meant in a game design sense but yeah the Gamepad is awesome in my opinion. However the mass market kinda disagreed.
I want to like my pad but outside of Wind Waker and Splatoon I haven't had much of a reason to use it. The pro controller is much more comfortable but laying in bed playing VC titles can't be beat. Shame the screen wasn't higher res and the battery life improved.

If the NX is going to exclusively use carts, then I really don't see many third parties releasing games retail due to the extra costs. But as someone who usually gets these systems for Nintendo games exclusively, having faster load times is pretty great.

disap.ed

Lego City Undercover comes to mind immediately

Top Bottom