• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent application for stationary game console without optical disk

Oregano

I want to like my pad but outside of Wind Waker and Splatoon I haven't had much of a reason to use it. The pro controller is much more comfortable but laying in bed playing VC titles can't be beat. Shame the screen wasn't higher res and the battery life improved.

Before I got my Kindle Fire I used it for watching films in bed(via Lovefilm).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If the NX is going to exclusively use carts, then I really don't see many third parties releasing games retail due to the extra costs. But as someone who usually gets these systems for Nintendo games exclusively, having faster load times is pretty great.

I thought the cost difference was much smaller today than it was way back in the N64/PSX days.

MisterHero

What I've been waiting for those past 20 years.

\o/

PS : do you think we will have a chance to see game cartridges that are also amiibos ?
Nintendo should try selling VC games/codes with respective Amiibos. Nintendo's classic games hit retail once again and Amiibos gain even more value!

I'm all for an all-digital console. Now, time for Nintendo to get the actual specs right.
I dunno man, Nintendo games don't drop in price and the eshop sales have been mediocre since I've been an owner (Feburary 2015). I wouldn't bite on a digital only system unless it was incredibly cheap and had an incredibly strong library. Steam has done sales right but consoles are held back by retail...

timshundo

Wow... even a fraction of that price would be far more expensive than disc-based alternatives.

Retail price ≠ manufacturing price. 32GB SD/microSD cards are $15 for "extreme" speeds and $8 for normal class10 cards. Manufacturing price is probably a fraction of that. It also wouldn't be crazy for nintendo to have different capacity cards depending on the game, making cart costs even cheaper considering most 1st party wii u games barely reach 8GB in size.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Makes sense. I figured the screen controller would probably return since you need that to maintain compatibility with a dual screened handheld. Hope the cart format returns. Makes sense that it would.

Neoxon

If the NX is going to exclusively use carts, then I really don't see many third parties releasing games retail due to the extra costs. But as someone who usually gets these systems for Nintendo games exclusively, having faster load times is pretty great.
If Nintendo wants physical cross-buy between the console & the handheld versions of the NX, they have to go with cartridges.

Do you not realize that the handheld and home markets are different? Discs have been standard in consoles since the late 90s while handhelds have been dominated by carts. Not very hard to understand.
the point of it is that i dont think people really care, "oh wow he is using a card to play his game instead of blu ray drive, lets all point and laugh" no one would care. its just a way to play the game

timshundo

Splatoon is apparently less than 2GB and I've clocked more hours into that game more than any in the past couple years. CARTS AHOY!

According to this, the "first basic program" is the OS kernal and the "second basic program" is the GUI/menu/browser/that sort of thing.

Still reading....

The first and second memories seem to be internal flash, probably eMMC. I probably jumped the gun on the SSD interpretation...

"Game program" is ONLY FOUND ON THE HDD! NOT THE MEMORY CARD!

Oregano

According to this, the "first basic program" is the OS kernal and the "second basic program" is the GUI/menu/browser/that sort of thing.

Still reading....

The first and second memories seem to be internal flash, probably eMMC. I probably jumped the gun on the SSD interpretation...

But wouldn't that mean the OS would be on the memory card?

Retail price ≠ manufacturing price. 32GB SD/microSD cards are $15 for "extreme" speeds and $8 for normal class10 cards. Manufacturing price is probably a fraction of that. It also wouldn't be crazy for nintendo to have different capacity cards depending on the game, making cart costs even cheaper considering most 1st party wii u games barely reach 8GB in size.

I don't think any size SD can compete with the pennies it costs to make a Blu-ray.

My take:

Digital only, but you can download games you buy through your account to an SD card and transfer them to the system if you have no internet access.

tebunker

Banned
I am kind of laughing at the people worried about an all digital future.

Look at your tablets and your phones. The mass market is already a-okay with an all digital "future" it's called the present day.

I welcome the idea of carts too for those that need that stuff.

Now that we have an idea I can't wait to see what they've cooked up with Dena to fix some of their digital rights and account management bull hockey. That's what we should really be concerned about.

the point of it is that i dont think people really care, "oh wow he is using a card to play his game instead of blu ray drive, lets all point and laugh" no one would care. its just a way to play the game

Then you might be out of touch because I think the average kid would think a cart based home console was "backwards" or "inferior" and stick to playing Xbox or Playstation. I mean, the Wii U install base is generally older because children and casuals don't buy their hardware like they used to. Heck, everyone I know in real life with a Wii U has been 21 or older while I know of multiple teens and pre-teens that game on 360, XBO, or PS4. People would care, this reminds me of similar arguments people made about the Wii U tablet looking cheap. "Nobody will care, Nintendo will convince them it's cool" but look how that turned out. Not a 1:1 comparison, I know, but I think you get what I'm saying.

This is all probably not worth arguing though because carts are more expensive than discs and hold less data, there's no way they would be used in a Wii U successor. 3DS TV? Sure, but not the next generation of Nintendo hardware.

Look at your tablets and your phones. The mass market is already a-okay with an all digital "future" it's called the present day.

Does my tablet or phone charge $50-$60 for content? No, so that is one major difference. If the mass market is so ready to embrace digital only then why is retail still around? Why are there 15+ GameStops in my city alone? Why does my grocery store stock video games? I'm not sure about you but I like having the ability to re-sell my content or lend it to a friend without jumping through a bunch of hoops.

But wouldn't that mean the OS would be on the memory card?

It mentions the use of the memory card for updates and whatnot. I'm still reading through it and digesting though.

Again, this is just one possible embodiment. They could release 2 versions or different versions in different regions. Japan will probably need optical discs if their transition to digital keeps at the rate it currently is.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Lots of people comparing this to the N64 are missing the point of why the N64 using cartridges was a bad idea. It was not just the manufacturing expense, but that it severely limited the available space for game storage. This wouldn't be the case anymore if they used Flash media.

Yarbskoo

I'm not ready for a digital only Nintendo console, and I don't think Nintendo is either.

I'd be all for the return of cartridges though. And if they want to put entire games on amiibo, I'd probably be fine with that too, although storage might become an issue.

EDIT: But for god's sake if you're going to make an amiibo based console, you better be prepared to ship shittons of them. None of this supply issue bullshit.

jeffers

Still reading....

doesnt it say magnetic storage when describing the HDD

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I wouldn't buy a digital only console and while I like carts, there are just as many downsides as upsides when it comes to their use. I'd still happily buy a new cartridge based Nintendo console though, no doubt.

rekameohs

Banned
Ok, I want to propose a theory. Tell me if what I'm saying is coherent with the patent / possible in reality.

Both handheld and home form factors support cartridges. The handheld plays them "normally", with the datas from the cart itself. Since the handheld is less powerful / has screen(s) with lower resolution than TV screens, games don't need to take such huge amount of memory of the carts themselves.

Once you insert them in the console for the first time though, you get access to download "supplementary" files that enhance the games. Those would allow to make the games better looking / running better / more effects, thus a better fit for the bigger screen. These supplementary files would be saved on home console's memory. So, you'd have games that run better on more powerful devices without needing carts with huuge memories.

Tell me if this makes sense based on the patent.

I think it's a reasonable idea, but as for the last sentence, the patent doesn not seem to suggest anything regarding carts, just an SD reader, like their systems have had for years. It's just good old GAF running wild with theories.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Now that we have an idea I can't wait to see what they've cooked up with Dena to fix some of their digital rights and account management bull hockey. That's what we should really be concerned about.
I dread the day that Consoles go full digital! Maybe you don't care for this but I still like the concept of having ownership of my games that I bought that no Account Ban or Account Hack can take away from me not to mention I still share games with friends and family who don't live with me and I don't require to share my account details with them to do so.

Oregano

It mentions the use of the memory card for updates and whatnot. I'm still reading through it and digesting though.

Again, this is just one possible embodiment. They could release 2 versions or different versions in different regions. Japan will probably need optical discs if their transition to digital keeps at the rate it currently is.

That's a very weird setup then, especially considering it would support external HDDs. I wonder what the benefit would be.

Then you might be out of touch because I think the average kid would think a cart based home console was "backwards" or "inferior" and stick to playing Xbox or Playstation. I mean, the Wii U install base is generally older because children and casuals don't buy their hardware like they used to. Heck, everyone I know in real life with a Wii U has been 21 or older while I know of multiple teens and pre-teens that game on 360, XBO, or PS4. People would care, this reminds me of similar arguments people made about the Wii U tablet looking cheap. "Nobody will care, Nintendo will convince them it's cool" but look how that turned out. Not a 1:1 comparison, I know, but I think you get what I'm saying.

This is all probably not worth arguing though because carts are more expensive than discs and hold less data, there's no way they would be used in a Wii U successor. 3DS TV? Sure, but not the next generation of Nintendo hardware.
jesus kids are picky, but they arent that picky lol you are thinking way too much here.

Neoxon

The Xbox One tried to be all-digital, look how that turned out. Phones have the benefit of accessing 4G networks. Consoles don't, unless you want to pay extra. Data caps & limited access to the internet are still real issues.

As another poster said, the Xbox One tried. Look what happened.

Veal

I don't see this as a full switch to carts. Kinda makes having a HDD and the ability to expand with another HDD redundant. Unless it's for heavy DLC plans. I'm thinking it's more to help facilitate the rumored portable aspect of the console.

Oregano

Maybe I'm getting my wires crossed but the issue with the XBO was that you would have to either be online all the time or online at least once every 24 hours. That is needlessly restrictive even with a DD-only system.

Neoxon

I don't see this as a full switch to carts. Kinda makes having a HDD and the ability to expand with another HDD redundant. Unless it's for heavy DLC plans. I'm thinking it's more to help facilitate the rumored portable aspect of the console.
Iwata already said that the NX won't be a hybrid in that sense. The hard drive is likely needed for DLC. Plus, if the Wii U is any indication, digital downloads will still be an option.

Also, internal power supply!

This console, if built, would be like everything a Nintendo console hasn't been. Very cool.
That would depend on how powerful the NX Console is.

That's a very weird setup then, especially considering it would support external HDDs. I wonder what the benefit would be.

They mention that the internal HDD would use the same type of connector (SATA/USB) as an optical drive embodiment. So it would be very easy for Nintendo to make 2 or more versions of the console.

External HDD would be for more memory beyond what the internal can provide, naturally. Probably no swappable internal HDD then.

Oregano

They mention that the internal HDD would use the same type of connector (SATA/USB) as an optical drive embodiment. So it would be very easy for Nintendo to make 2 or more versions of the console.

External HDD would be for more memory beyond what the internal can provide, naturally. Probably no swappable internal HDD then.

I meant more in regard for the storage of updates & stuff on a memory card. Why do that when an external HDD can do the same job?

Neoxon

What's the theory here? Will Nintendo make scalable games like they are between old 3DS and N3DS?
Iwata once talked about wanting the console & handheld to be similar but "like brothers". If it means that the same games would be scaleable between systems, a similar physical format would make sense.

jesus kids are picky, but they arent that picky lol you are thinking way too much here.

How much time do you spend around children? This is all anecdotal but from my experience, yes, they are picky when it comes to video games and being "cool" matters way more to them than adults. This is one reason why all the ones I know play iphone games or Xbox instead of Wii U even though I would argue it has the best exclusive library. There is no benefit to using carts anyway or else someone would already be doing it in the home console space.

People are actually still pretty hesitant to drop any sort of money on digital purchases.

So mobile is kind of meaningless, and if anything actually hurts your argument because games over 99 cents don't sell well at all.

Also, good luck trying to get the non-neogaf crowd to buy your new home console that uses carts; people will assume it's inferior, old school, or "not cool"

I highly doubt the non-neogaf crowd cares what type of media their console uses. Might have been a big deal in the 90s, but not now.

yoplay

If they were smart, they would switch back to carts. Nintendo fans give none-fucks about what is going on outside of nintendo. They can charge $70 for first party games and we will still buy them. This would make the console unique and sell like crazy. Nintendo needs to compete in their own airspace.

Top Bottom