• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Fiscal Meeting - Over

Reposting for new page: The Japanese Q&A is up.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/140508qa/index.html

Thought this was interesting. (My own translation, slightly rough)

Today I only spoke about Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers For Wii U in terms of Wii U software, however, at the E3 event to be held in June in Los Angeles we will discuss other software as well. Also, at that time, we will introduce multiple games that are designed to introduce players to the value of the Wii U Game Pad by demonstrating playstyles only possible because of it. These titles have been developed by internal teams under the guidance of Mr. Miyamoto (Board Member, General Manager of the Development Division). The software titles that we will show at E3, which make use of the Game Pad, will range from near complete titles to titles that are early in development, but will demonstrate the titles' core appeals. We are preparing multiple software like this for the show.

今日はWii Uソフトに関しては『マリオカート8』と『大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ for Wii U』のお話しかしておりませんが、6月にロサンゼルスで開催予定のE3では他のソフトについてもお話しします。また今期、宮本茂(専務取締役 情報開発本部長)が指揮する当社の内作ソフト開発チームは、「Wii U GamePadの存在意義を多くの方に分かっていただこう」ということで、そこ(Wii U GamePadがあるからこそ実現できるユニークな体験)に重点を置いた複数のソフトの開発を進めています。E3でお見せするWii U GamePadを活かしたソフトの中には、かなり完成に近く見えるものから、「開発の初期段階だが面白さのコアはこれで分かった」というようなものまであり、そのようなソフトを複数お目にかける準備をしています。

So... Miyamoto's new IP will be at E3!
HALLELUJAH!

Miyamoto is head of EAD Software Development. He's in charge of all software they produce, regardless.

Miyamoto skipped the Halo killer and went straight for CoD's throat.

I can hear the marketing pitch now:
Use the gamepad as an interface to control drones
asymmetrical local multiplayer where your friends with puny mortal controllers run around in circles getting bombed by your flying deathbots

Riki

I can hear the marketing pitch now:
Use the gamepad as an interface to control drones
asymmetrical local multiplayer where your friends with puny mortal controllers run around in circles getting bombed by your flying deathbots

This gave me such an awesome idea.
What if that S.T.E.A.M. game that Nintendo trademarked is really an XCom clone!
That's it. That's all it can be and it can't be anything else!

So, they're still refusing to accept that the problem isn't communicating the "value" of their controller, but that their error occurred more fundamentally in considering this feature as value creating at all.

Sandfox

So, they're still refusing to accept that the problem isn't communicating the "value" of their controller, but that their error occurred more fundamentally in considering this feature as value creating at all.

Its too late now so they might as well do what they can with it.

The Wii U is actually none of the things you described, have you played one? People like you perpetuating that kind of false info and other people buying it because "lol, Nintendo's dumb and for kids imma go run over hookers cuz it's so mature" is their only problem, it's a mind-set issue.

8VpImmX.gif

And for the record, yes, I own one. It has some good games, in spite of the fact that most of them struggle to find a good use for the expensive and casual-frightening GamePad. ("OffTV" does not count. If I needed a game system with a tiny screen on it so I could play it 10 feet away from the TV, I would buy a portable.) Developers have complained about the slow CPU and memory, and it's clearly not where it needed to be to brute force 360/PS3 ports when it came out, which put it in a bad position when it came to third-party support. It's focused on being power efficient in a form factor and placement that doesn't need to be. Even the GamePad shipped with a low capacity battery in it.

It's bad hardware. It has a nice Mario or two, it's going to have a good Kart and Smash, and some people like the Pikmins and the 101s. These would have existed, for the most part, the same way on any average platform.

I'm not saying anything particularly new or shocking. You might disagree, but no, touching one is not an automatic magical experience where I HAVE to be lying if I think otherwise.

Other companies have made the mistake of rushing out a new console instead of soldiering on and it didn't work out too great, Sega's a decent example of that.

Sega was in a massively different position, as it's been pointed out multiple times in the past.

Its too late now so they might as well do what they can with it.
It's something of a sunk cost (as is the Wii U in general). It would probably behoove them more to work towards eliminating the necessity of feature and improving the price part of the value equation, while still aiming towards operating profitability, rather than attempting to be even more reliant upon it.

Sandfox

It's something of a sunk cost (as is the Wii U in general). It would probably behoove them more to work towards eliminating the necessity of feature and improving the price part of the value equation, while still aiming towards operating profitability, rather than attempting to be even more reliant upon it.

I agree with you, but at the same time I think the NFC thing is at least worth trying depending on the software they show at E3.

MilesTeg

Banned

Eh. The console isn't going to have some massive turnaround regardless of what is done. As an owner I would rather have some cool unique content than no effort whatsoever. The console is a lost cause, I'm sure Iwata is already counting the days til their next box. Might as well try and offer some standout content to appease current owners so they aren't turned off from purchasing future Nintendo hardware.

Man, between this x-com clone, the captain falcon beat-em-up developed by platinum, Golden Sun U, Star Fox U, and Paper Mario: The Million-Year Window, this'll be the best e3 ever.

and then I'll wake up.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Today I only spoke about Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers For Wii U in terms of Wii U software, however, at the E3 event to be held in June in Los Angeles we will discuss other software as well. Also, at that time, we will introduce multiple games that are designed to introduce players to the value of the Wii U Game Pad by demonstrating playstyles only possible because of it. These titles have been developed by internal teams under the guidance of Mr. Miyamoto (Board Member, General Manager of the Development Division). The software titles that we will show at E3, which make use of the Game Pad, will range from near complete titles to titles that are early in development, but will demonstrate the titles' core appeals. We are preparing multiple software like this for the show.

This sounds like it is probably from the Nintendo Land programming teams (EAD Technology). Although, it could be from either EAD Group No. 2 or EAD Group No. 5 production/planning teams taking charge of the game design. It seems it will be more focused towards the core niche demographic, instead of pretending families and casuals will give it much of a spin.

I wonder if EAD has any 3DS games for the year. I imagine SPD does.

By the way. Good job on MK8 Creds!

GamePad implementation is pretty dreadful in a conventional game like 3D World. I wish they could've just admitted it was a bad idea, rather than doubling down on it. You can't force yourself to have good ideas for something.

Just concentrate on making fresh, compelling games. That's what's missing, not more blowing on my controller. Also, multiple games makes me think Miyamoto-supervised, smaller eShop games, which fits the GamePad as they only need to figure out a single mechanic and just use it for the whole game a la Sakura Samurai or PushMo.

SirShandy

GamePad implementation is pretty dreadful in a conventional game like 3D World. I wish they could've just admitted it was a bad idea, rather than doubling down on it. You can't force yourself to have good ideas for something.

Just concentrate on making fresh, compelling games. That's what's missing, not more blowing on my controller. Also, multiple games makes me think Miyamoto-supervised, smaller eShop games, which fits the GamePad as they only need to figure out a single mechanic and just use it for the whole game a la Sakura Samurai or PushMo.

How is this mutually exclusive? Iwata's whole point is that they are going to show off titles at E3 which makes interesting use of the gamepad, contrary to its minimal use in 3D world, so there could be some very compelling games coming out of that. Either way you look at it, there's only one way to find out.

jonno394

How is this mutually exclusive? Iwata's whole point is that they are going to show off titles at E3 which makes interesting use of the gamepad, contrary to its minimal use in 3D world, so there could be some very compelling games coming out of that. Either way you look at it, there's only one way to find out.

Do people really want to be forced to play with the gamepad though? I know I don't. I'm hoping zelda allows play with the pro controller, but then if it does it'll make the whole experiences only possible with the game pad thing a farce. Unique play styles gave us the stylus only zeldas, adequate but not great.

This sounds like it is probably from the Nintendo Land programming teams (EAD Technology). Although, it could be from either EAD Group No. 2 or EAD Group No. 5 production/planning teams taking charge of the game design. It seems it will be more focused towards the core niche demographic, instead of pretending families and casuals will give it much of a spin.

I wonder if EAD has any 3DS games for the year. I imagine SPD does.

By the way. Good job on MK8 Creds!

I imagine it's going to be the Nintendo Land people. I can't really think of anyone else, unless Animal Crossing and Zelda make big use of them. Maybe the Nintendogs team has something, lol.

My prediction for SPD is Rhythm Heaven 3DS.

And no worries, still working on finding the others :)

ibiDKT4HRobBNx.gif

EDIT: Wait, I already responded to that...

Haha.

Riki

I imagine it's going to be the Nintendo Land people. I can't really think of anyone else, unless Animal Crossing and Zelda make big use of them. Maybe the Nintendogs team has something, lol.

My prediction for SPD is Rhythm Heaven 3DS.

And no worries, still working on finding the others :)

Haha.

Yes, please.

Terrell

But aren't they profitable on hardware now? They can and eventually will improve the price part of the value equation. But they have to give more value first to dig themselves out of the negative perception vortex. Dropping price on something people think isn't any good doesn't work. Games like Mario Kart do. Do that first, THEN look at price adjustments when people are paying attention. It's why the last price drop did effectively nothing... a lot of people had no reason to pay attention.

Sega was in a massively different position, as it's been pointed out multiple times in the past.

And yet we seem to see more threads about Nintendo's doom when they aren't as close to it as Sega was than I ever remember seeing in the Dreamcast era.

Funny how that works.

Positive gross margin isn't in itself operating profitability, although it helps obviously.

On the increasing value point, I'm not critiquing leveraging IPs like Mario, but rather the persistence of the mindset that the GamePad creates consumer value and that simply hasn't been communicated.

SirShandy

Do people really want to be forced to play with the gamepad though? I know I don't. I'm hoping zelda allows play with the pro controller, but then if it does it'll make the whole experiences only possible with the game pad thing a farce. Unique play styles gave us the stylus only zeldas, adequate but not great.

If the implementation is interesting and makes for some absorbing gameplay mechanics a la Zombie U or Deus Ex, why wouldn't people want to try it out? Again, this has entirely to do with the execution. Of course you can throw out poor examples of two screen usage (though the Zelda implementation is debatable), but you can't discard well implemented and original idea's either.

Positive gross margin isn't in itself operating profitability, although it helps obviously.

On the increasing value point, I'm not critiquing leveraging IPs like Mario, but rather the persistence of the mindset that the GamePad creates consumer value and that simply hasn't been communicated.

Imagine though if their attempts this time actually produce an amazing, unique game that would not have been possible without the GamePad!

I mean, the Wii U's practically dead now. They might as well go crazy with the thing. :D

ironcreed

Banned
Reposting for new page: The Japanese Q&A is up.

Miyamoto is head of EAD Software Development. He's in charge of all software they produce, regardless.

It's nice to see that they are still plowing ahead with more titles and want to focus on showing off the gamepad. As I have said before, it's only a year and a half old. Which is when a console just starts to hit it's stride.

AniHawk

what baffles me is that they chose 2014, three years after revealing the console and four years after work began on software, to try and communicate the value of the gamepad through software.

what baffles me is that they chose 2014, three years after revealing the console and four years after work began on software, to try and communicate the value of the gamepad through software.

That's slightly disingenuous. They have previously tried but their earlier efforts failed, hence even more focus on it. Don't think it will work though. The problem is they have to push it because that's what they've marketed as the consoles USP. I sometimes wonder if Nintendo would have done better if they'd released with the pad but not focused on it so much and instead really pushed the 'great new games plus fully Wii compatible' angle.

AniHawk

That's slightly disingenuous. They have previously tried but their earlier efforts failed, hence even more focus on it. Don't think it will work though. The problem is they have to push it because that's what they've marketed as the consoles USP. I sometimes wonder if Nintendo would have done better if they'd released with the pad but not focused on it so much and instead really pushed the 'great new games plus fully Wii compatible' angle.

i think they gave it a shot with nintendo land, but nothing else. the launch commercials for wii u were about 'how u will play next' but then didn't show how or even why it was exciting and different. hardware was created without the software to really back it up. there weren't applications of the gamepad across genres- multiple examples readily available at launch like the wii remote was for zelda, wii sports, red steel, and excite truck. it was just a second screen put there for no real reason. kinda like how the 3ds has 3d for no real reason. it's a big nothing.

Shhh. Don't kill the dream!
People have been going on about this new Miyamoto IP for ages now. Where did the talk of this come from? I feel like it was just a comment in passing and now there are people out there thinking this is going to be something amazing when we don't know anything about it. For all we know, it could be a downloadable game released on the eShop (if it even exists).

The Japanese Q&A is up.

Hum this remind me this:

"With Metroid it's very easy to imagine some interesting implementation for Wii U," Miyamoto mentioned. "I think that having another screen with the gyro built in really gives you a lot of interesting opportunities for development, and we can bring a lot of our games to life in a completely unique way with that."

Or this

Yet the one that Miyamoto really wants to see? The Nintendo executive didn't give any details, but noted that "personally" the franchise he wants most on Wii U is Star Fox. Here's hoping one day Miyamoto's wish - alongside millions of Nintendo fans - is realized on the HD system.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/06/miyamoto-discusses-metroid-on-wii-u

I don't want to get hyped please!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
i think they gave it a shot with nintendo land, but nothing else. the launch commercials for wii u were about 'how u will play next' but then didn't show how or even why it was exciting and different. hardware was created without the software to really back it up. there weren't applications of the gamepad across genres- multiple examples readily available at launch like the wii remote was for zelda, wii sports, red steel, and excite truck. it was just a second screen put there for no real reason. kinda like how the 3ds has 3d for no real reason. it's a big nothing.

Yeah, that's what killed the console. In first-party terms it had nothing (besides NintendoLand) but Wii holdovers like NSMB and Pikmin until 3D World came out, and even then it didn't focus on the Gamepad. Surely this is the final time they need to learn the lesson that hardware doesn't sell itself. Yamauchi always knew that.

The Japanese Q&A is up.

Funny, only because it seems unusually informative for Nintendo to say this close to E3. Usually they are completely dark this close to the show and hype just gets totally out of control.

I do have to say though, if at least one of these many "Miyamoto-supervised" titles that make use of the GamePad aren't Star Fox or F-Zero, there are going to be a lot of disappointed Nintendo fans that have been dying for a new entry in one or both of those series, despite the fact that I personally think Star Fox is best left in the past where nostalgia reigns supreme. I did really enjoy me some SNES F-Zero in my day, though. Not really a fan of the GCN sequel developed by SEGA, and based on what I've read, neither was Miyamoto. So that should tell people something.

Have Intelligent Systems develop it, and we're fucking gold.

People have been going on about this new Miyamoto IP for ages now. Where did the talk of this come from? I feel like it was just a comment in passing and now there are people out there thinking this is going to be something amazing when we don't know anything about it. For all we know, it could be a downloadable game released on the eShop (if it even exists).

Straight from the man himself.

heidern

Isn't that how they always did it though? The hardware guys would make the hardware and leave the software guys to figure out what to do with it. Now that they have their new headquarters the hardware and software guys can coordinate their efforts better.

Cheerilee

Isn't that how they always did it though? The hardware guys would make the hardware and leave the software guys to figure out what to do with it. Now that they have their new headquarters the hardware and software guys can coordinate their efforts better.

Not really. It doesn't seem like it today, but sidescrolling on the NES was a big deal, and games like Super Mario were pushed to show it off.

Gunpei Yokoi's team was pushed to deliver software that could convince people (both developers and customers) that the system could deliver portable gaming, so they made Mario Land, but then Tetris came along and reminded people to consider the uniqueness of handheld gaming.

Miyamoto was pushed to make Mario World on the SNES the best sidescroller ever, against his will because he felt he had just perfected the sidescroller with Mario 3, because Nintendo needed to show that the SNES was solidly better than the NES. And they had games like F-Zero and Pilotwings showing off the new scaling and rotation features. I remember some considerable boasting about the fact that the SNES had stereo sound.

The N64 had Mario 64, showing off the polygons and analog, and they even put forwards arguments in favor of carts over CDs.

The GameBoy Color needed no explanation. It was glorious color, where once there was only black and white (or different shades of puke green, if we want to call a spade a spade).

The GameBoy Advance, I don't think Nintendo did very much to sell people on, because they didn't have to.

The GameCube was absolutely proving itself via it's developers pre-launch, with major franchises from Nintendo and Rare showing off amazing graphics and implying an abundance of games, and newfound levels of maturity from Retro and Silicon Knights. They were doing their job to say that Nintendo had learned and grown and fixed everything that was wrong with N64. And then Nintendo sold Rare because that was good for their bank account, started beating the "graphics aren't everything" drum (undercutting the efforts of their own devs like Factor 5), and blew their own wheels off with the "Celda" controversy. They went back to being the N64 era company that did whatever they wanted to do, not what they needed to do, and to hell with anyone who doesn't agree. That was part of why they failed.

The DS went a little crazy with the features, but Nintendo worked their butt off from day one to show that these things were important.

The Wii would undoubtedly have failed if it weren't for Wii Sports. Nintendo needed that game to define what it was they were doing.

The 3DS needs no explanation. It's 3D. You can get a headache watching Dances With Smurfs... but this time without the need to wear ill-fitting glasses. Yay! Oh and, you can't watch movies on it. Only games. Yay?

Iwata threw costly features at the Wii U, and the best thing anyone can say about it is "Off-TV play." They're not there for any reason, they're just there because Iwata thought the Wii U needed unique features, like DS and Wii had. And even Nintendo's first party can barely argue against that assessment.

The complaint against Nintendo was that a compelling argument in favor of these features should be been there from day one. Now Wii U is doomed after two years and it's third year is looking like the walking dead. But Iwata has tasked Nintendo to (in hindsight) come up for a reason for the Wii U's features to exist, and have them ready by it's fourth year. That's way too little, way too late. At this point, all Iwata's asking Nintendo to do is make sure that it's next great games are fundamentally unportable to the 3DS or QOL or PS5 or whatever it is that Nintendo ends up working on in the future.

Jackano

he software titles that we will show at E3, which make use of the Game Pad, will range from near complete titles to titles that are early in development,

This is truly panic's mode Nintendo. And actually very much for the hype if you ask me and I look forward to this.

jvm

Gamasutra.
A couple of working days. It should be posted today or tomorrow.
Looking forward to reading it (and the 5+ news stories that come out of it like usual, haha).
Things are changing. This is now listed on the English IR page:
* Q & A (to be posted later)

It didn't have that last time I checked. So it's on the way...

kubus

Things are changing. This is now listed on the English IR page:
* Q & A (to be posted later)

It didn't have that last time I checked. So it's on the way...

Been like that since the Japanese Q&A transcript was posted (which was on saturday iirc)

Top Bottom