• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo found guilty for infringing glasses-free 3D patent

awa64

Banned
http://www.google.com/patents/US7417664?printsec=drawing#v=onepage&q&f=false

^ The patent in question. Cursory reading makes this sound like a bad jury decision, rather than Nintendo infringing, but I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.

It still seems kinda bullshit that they're infringing on a patent that relies on a means of automatically detecting the viewer's position to set the screen for the stereoscopic image, though. Hell, Nintendo probably wouldn't have been found to infringe at all if they'd left the camera off.

antonz

LOL at people calling troll/patent abuse. This is the exact situation patents were made to protect. The little guy goes patents his work and goes to the big guy "buy/license my work", the big guy just steals his idea and doesn't pay him for it.

Except Nintendo did not invent or create the 3D screen used in the 3DS. SHARP did. So why isn't he going after sharp who is manufacturing this 3D screen for numerous devices.

kuroshiki

For Nintendo $30 mil is nothing. They just need to make new pikachu 3DS XL.

but for nintendo fanboys who always claim nintendo is forerunner of everything videogame, this might be a little shock for them.

Except Nintendo did not invent or create the 3D screen used in the 3DS. SHARP did. So why isn't he going after sharp who is manufacturing this 3D screen for numerous devices.

Curious, wouldn't nintendo say that in the court too? Why did they even go to court in the first place?

DaBoss

That's not what the court ruled. They ruled Nintendo specifically violated his patent, not Sharp's.

It's mentioned in the article that a defense of Nintendo's was that many people have 3d patents, but that wasn't good enough for the court.

So, this guy did not violate any one's patent. Nintendo violated his.

It doesn't say that, Nintendo said he was one of the people Nintendo was in contact with.

Err one of the inventors of the technology doesn't count as a patent troll.

You're right, my bad.

This means nothing.

That means the jury found for them but they still have two appeals to go through if they want.

They still have every chance to get this overturned.

The fact that many people have 3d technology was Nintendo's defense.

A court didn't accept that.

Stop bringing up other patents.

Codeblue

I wonder if he'd be able to get payment from everyone using Sharp's screens or if it's a special case since he met with Nintendo.

antonz

Hell reading the patent all I can see is a typical crackpot jury who was standing up against evil corporation for the little guy.

Patent talks about auto calibration of the 3D screen via camera etc. None of that technology is used on the 3DS

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hell reading the patent all I can see is a typical crackpot jury who was standing up against evil corporation for the little guy.

Patent talks about auto calibration of the 3D screen via camera etc. None of that technology is used on the 3DS

Isn't that more in line with how some TV's do it? Why wouldn't he go after glasses free 3D displays in general?

wsippel

Banned
That's not what the court ruled. They ruled Nintendo specifically violated his patent, not Sharp's.

It's mentioned in the article that a defense of Nintendo's was that many people have 3d patents, but that wasn't good enough for the court.

So, this guy did not violate any one's patent. Nintendo violated his.
That's assuming the US legal system wasn't a complete joke - which it is. He couldn't even have sued Nintendo in most countries because they neither designed nor manufacture the screens.

^ The patent in question. Cursory reading makes this sound like a bad jury decision, rather than Nintendo infringing, but I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.

It still seems kinda bullshit that they're infringing on a patent that relies on a means of automatically detecting the viewer's position to set the screen for the stereoscopic image, though. Hell, Nintendo probably wouldn't have been found to infringe at all if they'd left the camera off.

yeah looking at his patent this is a bullshit ruling, nintendo will definitely appeal

For Nintendo $30 mil is nothing. They just need to make new pikachu 3DS XL.

but for nintendo fanboys who always claim nintendo is forerunner of everything videogame, this might be a little shock for them.

Curious, wouldn't nintendo say that in the court too? Why did they even go to court in the first place?

I'm sure Nintendo just can't shift the blame on one of their manufacturers. It might sour they relationship or something.

antonz

Isn't that more in line with how some TV's do it? Why wouldn't he go after glasses free 3D displays in general?

The Patent seems to be focused on creating 3D on the fly. I mean it specifically mentions 2 Cameras recording material that is then processed into the 3D etc. The 3DS is basically just the parallax barrier placed on the screen and it rendering twice.

I could see this patent being very useful for photography purposes. Viewing in the little screen on the back 3D image previews and such. I mean they could potentially use that angle to go after Sharp

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wonder what the inventor would do with all that cash.

FuEiV.gif

ohlawd

Judging by the reactions in this thread, he should go ahead and sue Sharp now.

check out them headlines.
"random dude with a patent sues Sharp right after getting $30 mill from Nintendo"

Sharp: "Bitch I ain't working with you no more"
Nintendo: ":("

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/13/4101054/jury-nintendo-liable-for-patent-infringement-3ds-technology

A spokesperson for Nintendo of America offered the followed statement to Polygon.
A jury awarded $30.2 million in damages to Tomita Technologies in a patent infringement lawsuit brought by Tomita against Nintendo. The Tomita patent did not relate to the 3D games playable on the Nintendo 3DS. The trial was held in U.S. District Court in New York before Judge Jed Rakoff.

Nintendo is confident that the result will be set aside. The jury's verdict will not impact Nintendo's continued sales in the United States of its highly acclaimed line of video game hardware, software and accessories, including the Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo has a long history of developing innovative products while respecting the intellectual property rights of others.

I am happy this thread is filled to the brim with erudite commentary from knowledgeable legal observers, instead of garbage fanboy bickering from juveniles who leap at an opportunity to flail emotionally over a patent dispute.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Are people actually upset this guy got his just rewards or just salty at the revelation that the idea for glassless 3D wasn't Nintendo's?

JoeM86

Why is it always the US courts that make decisions like this? The patent clearly reads differently to how the 3DS works.

Nintendo is bound to appeal, I just hope the courts see some sense.

Are people actually upset this guy got his just rewards or just salty at the revelation that the idea for glassless 3D wasn't Nintendo's?

We've known for a while that it wasn't Nintendo's, you know, when they said that the technology is from Sharp...

Eusis

The fact it was a jury decision at all makes it suspect to me: were they REALLY the most qualified to do a vote on something more technical like this, not unless they were specifically rounded up with that background in mind? Nevermind the fact it's Sharp's technology, though I guess it's possible Sharp has a specific patent in Japan but not in the US?

In any case I'm not really eager to claim patent troll given the guy's background and the fact he isn't barging in suing over something that's been used for a long time like when we had some of those controller patents crop up, nor do I want to claim Nintendo was wrongfully stealing when they did go to someone else for their technology. Seems more likely to me the real case would be against Sharp, or at least both Sharp and Nintendo.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Why is it always the US courts that make decisions like this? The patent clearly reads differently to how the 3DS works.

Nintendo is bound to appeal, I just hope the courts see some sense.

We've known for a while that it wasn't Nintendo's, you know, when they said that the technology is from Sharp...

So why was Sharp not in the courtroom with Nintendo?

prag16

Banned

Just read the patent myself. I agree with this assessment. Activist jury sticking it to big business. Isn't the guy wheelchair bound too? Just saying.The dude doesn't have a case. If this bullshit decision stands through the appeals process then the system has failed.

Top Bottom