• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France: Switch does not support Bluetooth headsets/headphones

koss424

I dont have a bluetooth headset and I dont know anyone that has a bluetooth headset. Not really a problem.

Quite a few people own bluetooth headsets and they are pretty great these days. It would be a nice feature to be able to use BT headsets with the console - especially in docked mode. With no jack on the controllers, headsets are going to be essentially non-usable with the Switch in dockmode unless your stereo or tv can push out a BT signal..

jonno394

Its the same story

At launch all this is gonna do is play games

We dont have

- Legacy controller support but they are considering it Did PS4/Xbox One?

- Bluetooth support for accessories (it kind of took Sony a bit to catch up here as well with PS4 on a few devices) Did PS4/Xbox One

- Online play and features.... yeah

- Virtual Console support Did PS4/Xbox One

- support for third party apps

All of these things Switch is Technically capable of doing... but doesnt

What the hell is going on. I thought this thing WASNT being rushed.

Why are we only lobbying these things an Nintendo? Did we call PS4/Xbox One "rushed"?

Chumley

Banned
Nintendo should really just release their own specific switch headset. Wireless. Handles the PCM->surround conversion for surround sound. Handles patching into the phone app or whatever. Usb-c charged.

In other words, the equivalent of the psgold headset.

I kind of hate my psgold headset. Sounds great but makes my ears get hot after 30 minutes, too big and has no ventilation. Wish you didn't have to sacrifice sound quality to get slimmer more ventilated headphones.

Giolon

God damn. I guess it's too much to expect Nintendo to be with current device expectations. Bluetooth headphones support is really that hard? The world's going wireless, Ninty. Come ON.

SMH.

I imagine they'll look into doing this in a more mature firmware update. They probably just want to make sure the base experience is solid before piling shit on top of it, which they tend not to be very good about supporting non-Nintendo peripherals.

Speaking of, has Sony ever said why they still haven't implemented this? I'm guessing interference with the DS4?

CDX

*sigh*
That's disappointing.

I'm now imagining lots of comically long 3.5mm extension wires plugged directly into the console while docked.

yyr

I dont have a bluetooth headset and I dont know anyone that has a bluetooth headset. Not really a problem.

Why does every thread called

"Feature or thing x won't be supported by console or game y"

have at least one post like

"WELL I PERSONALLY DON'T CARE SO THEREFORE NOBODY CARES"

Why are we only lobbying these things an Nintendo? Did we call PS4/Xbox One "rushed"?

When there are only console launches every 5+ years, people tend to forget how basic they always begin, especially after games start to come out on a regular basis. No big, it'll get there.

Lom1lo

Great, so how do I use headphones when docked without having a laying arround. I really dont get some aspects of this system

PR_rambo

Banned
I mean the Switch is meant to be a portable device too. You probably won't want wires everywhere when you're using it out and about.

Although I'd never use bluetooth headphones/mic myself, I find it utterly bizarre they aren't supporting it.

Seriously, it is missing on so many features that come standard on phones/tablets. I know i know its a games machine, so I'm acting entitled for wanting these things, but when you make a portable entertainment device, you are going to compete with smart devices whether it is your intention to or not.

-shadow-

So it's not there now, despite that Koizumi said it is and we have no confirmation outside of that. Well this is a bit of a mess.

lenovox1

WiiU all over again

Not at all, because the WiiU had all kinds of (poorly conceived and poorly constructed) features at launch and all kinds of (poorly performing) games at launch as well.

This is more like every other Nintendo launch.

(And there will be three online games and some light online functionality, like a friends list and a storefront, at launch.)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You'll need the headset attached to your phone anyway if you want to do voice com, unless you're going to balance your phone on your shoulder.

Time to get a super long cable extension for headphones while you play in tv mode...and some way to fix a mic that connects to your phone onto it...
Unless the Switch will stream game audio via Bluetooth to your phone in the voice chat app. That would be a pretty elegant solution. Wi-fi handles the voice chat audio.

Not like phones can't handle multiple audio sources lol

I personally prefer wired and thats how i play on PS4

The issue being that Nintendo doesnt offer wired headset setup in docked mode unless you want to be tethered to the dock or run a really long cable

Ill never understand why they didnt put an audio jack in the joycon cradle or the pro controller

So yeah

Bluetooth becomes to only option outside of third party dongles that take up a USB slot

Nintendo is consistently asking us to pay more for less with the current trending with Switch and its starting to get on my nerves

Sure... they have the hardware built in and the potential to turn things around by this fall by my lack of faith has damn good precedent based on their history, PR wording, and general ineptitude when trying to deliver modern features

It's like Nintendo forgets they have a hardcore fanbase that wants to know the fine details. How hard is it to communicate these features?

I wouldn't even consider these fine details. Head and mic communication is a basic feature that should be outlined. People give Nintendo a lot of shit unfairly, but hell if people aren't right when they say Nintendo sucks at communicating the basics.

Hoo-doo

Banned

PS4's come with a headset jack in every controller, so in essence even a wired headset isn't tethered to anything but the controller. Nintendo was that forward-thinking even with the Wii-U, it's a brilliant feature.

I mean, this is about convenience. Tons of people use headsets while playing their home consoles. The Switch tries to argue that it is, in fact, a home console, yet having to wire yourself up from the dock just to get headphones working is pretty silly.

aett

Does the 3.5mm jack work on the Switch when docked then?

I bloody well hope so.

This is the real question. If not, then I guess I'll never use my Switch while docked! I only play games on the TV after the kids are in bed. And even if the 3.5mm jack does work while docked, I bet my cats will have a field day with the long 3.5mm extension cable running across the floor to the couch.

So the Wii U has better audio headset options than the Switch does?

A lot of Wii U games let you have headphones plugged into the GamePad, to play game audio through it while
playing on the TV.

The Switch doesn't do that when docked? Yikes! You can't play games on the TV with headphones while sitting 12 feet from the dock unless you have a 12 foot audio cable? Lol.

Between this and no Virtual Console, I'm a little concerned!

I play my PS4 and Xbox One all the time with headphones on. Plugged right into the jack on the controller. People do this regularly. What is your solution, Nintendo?

koss424

Ok if you have wired headphones this is a non issue. Headphones don't have wires all over the place to cause problems this isn't a infomercial. If all you have is bluethooth then yes it's a problem.

how long are the cords of your wired headphones? Because it will be an issue if you don't have 6-10 feet of cord for living room use.

So the Wii U has better audio headset options than the Switch does?

A lot of Wii U games let you have headphones plugged into the GamePad, to play game audio through it while
playing on the TV.

The Switch doesn't do that when docked? Yikes!

Between this and no Virtual Console, I'm a little concerned!

The Audio Jack DOES work while docked

This was confirmed wasnt it?

Still.... is this really the idea solution?

tkscz

Ok, this is the thread I call stretching. If neither Sony or Microsoft included bluetooth support for wireless headphones, why expect Nintendo to? This is the thing I feel to not expect at all.

I'm still trying to figure out why even put a jack in the dock and not the tablet itself. Having a wire going from the tv all the way to you. Are there even wired headsets that big?

Chumley

Banned
Who would actually use a huge extension cable with this thing docked?

Why the hell didn't they just put a jack in the pro controller, at $70 there's no excuse.

Okay, so now instead of zero consoles, zero consoles support Bluetooth headsets

Quelle surprise

That said, the joycon grip and Pro controller should have had a headphone jack no doubt

Ok, this is the thread I call stretching. If neither Sony or Microsoft included bluetooth support for wireless headphones, why expect Nintendo to? This is the thing I feel to not expect at all.

Because they dont offer an Alternative solution to the issue?

Xbox and PS4 all have audio jacks on the controllers AND so did the WiiU

Skyzard

Banned
Unless the Switch will stream game audio via Bluetooth to your phone in the voice chat app. That would be a pretty elegant solution. Wi-fi handles the voice chat audio.

Not like phones can't handle multiple audio sources lol

That would be a smart thing to do.

Good idea, I didn't think of it...because...you know, Nintendo.

Justified

Because neither are portable, and they at least support some form of wireless headphones, with also having a jack in the controller

Also Sony's Portable device does support Bluetooth

And its expected from Nintendo because thier last console had a solution for this

I imagine 3rd party USB dongle wireless headsets will work?

ughhh

Nintendo... you really dont want a modern machine do you. You just want to make games

sleepnaught

As someone with $600 worth of Switch related stuff pre ordered, I'm sorry, but this console is so obviously not ready for primetime.

JoseDFrog

Banned

It's a portable. I'm already used to wearing wireless headphone for my commute. Carrying another set of headphones and having to juggle between the two is a pain in the ass with the 3DS and I didn't expect to have to do it with the Switch (however temporary it may be).

Top Bottom