• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France: Switch does not support Bluetooth headsets/headphones

Really disappointing stuff here. I love being able to just plug in my headphones on PS4. Big ball drop really.

You know what you can do? Take the whole system with you. Problem solved. ;)

I will agree that the Pro controller really should have had a headphone jack though. That's a big oversight, but...I don't get to make those decisions.

SpecX

As long as it comes as an update later, then I'm ok with this since I won't be buying one at launch. I will be pissed if Nintendo tries to sell this update in the future as a way not to have to absorb the license fees themselves.

linkboy

wait, really?
so when i play on the tv i can't plug headphones in anywhere, neither of the switch controllers have headphone sockets.
That sucks!
can i plug them into the console whilst it's in tv mode?

You can, you'll just need a long ass extension cord.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Hopefully they can prioritize that in a future update. Not having a decent way to use headphones while docked would be a bummer for sure.

Although, I've got a suspicion there might be "an app for that" lol (where do I know that slogan from).

Jeels

Yeah, so why do you want another confirmation now that it does not work? It's the same outlet correcting their previous story.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. I want confirmation because we have an outlet/Nintendo putting out conflicting information. Obviously if there are Switches in the wild that's a better source than this outlet and seemingly Nintendo themselves.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I mean the Switch is meant to be a portable device too. You probably won't want wires everywhere when you're using it out and about.

Although I'd never use bluetooth headphones/mic myself, I find it utterly bizarre they aren't supporting it.

It's worse at home in console mode honestly. Who wants a 3.5mm extension cable running across the room from your seat to the big screen where you have the Switch docked? I don't mind wired headphones on a plane or whatever, and always used wired headphoens with my phone.

I'm not buying near launch anyway, but hopefully they get some wireless headphone support added. I only game on my TV, and use headphones a ton so as to not bother my fiance when she's working at home/sleeping.

No wireless headset option would drastically reduce the odds of me buying a Switch as it would limit the times I could use it in a hassle-free manner.

Shiggy

I'm not sure what you are getting at. I want confirmation because we have an outlet/Nintendo putting out conflicting information. Obviously if there are Switches in the wild that's a better source than this outlet and seemingly Nintendo themselves.

Well, the only time it was "confirmed" was through the French website Melty.fr last week. Now the same website says it is not true. I don't see anything conflicting there as it was simply based on a translation or misunderstanding.

Nintendo never announced support on any official channels and there are no such options available in the Switch OS.

CDX

IREXTCableTouchedUp600x400.jpg~original

So to use headphones ...these are the only 2 options right?

A long extension cable plugged into the Switch Console while docked.

Or buying somesort of 3.5mm to wireless bluetooth dongle that's plugged into the Switch Console while docked.

*sigh* Nintendo

linkboy

Hopefully they can prioritize that in a future update. Not having a decent way to use headphones while docked would be a bummer for sure.

Although, I've got a suspicion there might be "an app for that" lol (where do I know that slogan from).

Old iPhone 3g commerical.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The Switch is lining up to be the first Early Access console.

I literally cannot think of any other dedicated gaming device that launched without the ability to connect Bluetooth headsets.

Absolutely absurd.

opricnik

Banned
Not surprised tbh. PS4 and Xbox One don't support it either and it must be a technical reason.
Consoles are fucking joke when it comes to supporting basic shits like this but oh hoh they wouldnt stop 1 second implementing online paywalls

Juice

You know what you can do? Take the whole system with you. Problem solved. ;)

I will agree that the Pro controller really should have had a headphone jack though. That's a big oversight, but...I don't get to make those decisions.

The eternal fount of fatalistic helplessness among Nintendo fans is the 8th wonder of the world

Criticizing Nintendo's decisions is a perfectly reasonable and normal thing for consumers to do. Maybe it's enough to affect a purchase decision. Maybe it's only enough to reduce customer satisfaction.

This "well it is what it is we may as well just enjoy it" attitude among Nintendo's core audience is exactly why Nintendo continues half-assing everything: they know their base will let them get away with it, and they don't hear from anybody else.

Jeels

Well, the only time it was "confirmed" was through the French website Melty.fr last week. Now the same website says it is not true. I don't see anything conflicting there as it was simply based on a translation or misunderstanding.

Nintendo never announced support on any official channels and there are no such options available in the Switch OS.

I'm sorry but I consider an interview to be an official channel. If it was a mistranslation that's one thing and it falls on the site, but if they simply made a mistake that's a pretty big mistake for a lot of people.

Shiggy

I'm sorry but I consider an interview to be an official channel. If it was a mistranslation that's one thing and it falls on the site, but if they simply made a mistake that's a pretty big mistake for a lot of people.

I agree. But I don't see why you need another confirmation now that it doesn't work, when you just bought a Bluetooth headset on a report from the same site which was wrong and only now corrected.

Jeels

I agree. But I don't see why you need another confirmation now that it doesn't work, when you just bought a Bluetooth headset on a report from the same site which was wrong and only now corrected.

I already stated it. I don't trust the site when there are Switches in the wild, that's the best confirmation....

The eternal fount of fatalistic helplessness among Nintendo fans is the 8th wonder of the world

Criticizing Nintendo's decisions is a perfectly reasonable and normal thing for consumers to do. Maybe it's enough to affect a purchase decision. Maybe it's only enough to reduce customer satisfaction.

This "well it is what it is we may as well just enjoy it" attitude among Nintendo's core audience is exactly why Nintendo continues half-assing everything: they know their base will let them get away with it, and they don't hear from anybody else.

...What else CAN you do? We can bitch and moan all day, but ultimately you decide what something is worth to you. I'm not going to let something like this completely cloud an experience that I am otherwise excited for. Hate to break it to you, but nothing is ever going to be perfect, even when it seems clear cut.

And yeah, I would consider myself a Nintendo fan. Guess what though? I have only ever owned a NES, SNES, GB, GCN, and Wii...So...I guess I actually DID vote with my money.

;)

(And to clarify, when I say "bitch and moan," I'm talking specifically about the people that go into immediate overload at the first sign of disappointment. Otherwise, Nintendo definitely deserves criticism, just like all of the other hardware makers.)

so how are people using headphones with the switch while they play on TV? curious to see some others' solutions as I exclusively game with headphones on

route the switch audio through a receiver? plug headphones into the TV?

so disappointing

Soroc

Since the controllers are both bluetooth is there any reason technically that using bluetooth headsets would interfere or cause issue with controllers? How many bluetooth devices can be paired to a system?

I had a very bad feeling about this when we saw that dev slide/paper that showed bluetooth 4.0 LE but disabled for developers application or switch application however it was worded.

Fbh

So is there at least some official Headset or something?
I don't mind wired headphones in portable mode.
But at home I play with headphones most of the time. I don't live alone and I often play during the night when others might be sleeping. So it's either headphones or playing on mute.

If it doesn't support bluetooth and has no audio connection on the controller then they should at very least offer some official headset with a dongle or something like on Ps4.
Sadly, knowing Nintendo it would probably cost like $150

EDIT:
Just remembered that I can connect bluetooth headphones to my TV. Never done it though, is there some sort of audio delay by doing this? (it's a Samsung from 2015)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
To clarify, I'd be fine with an official headset with dongle for use while docked. Either way to have to buy a headset as I don't have any Bluetooth headphones either.

I just use the Sony golds with dongle for PS4 and PC since PS4 doesn't support Bluetooth. Or have a wired pair I plug into my DS4 or Xbox One Elite (for pc) if those are dead.

I just want some way to easily use headphones wirelessly while docked.

Red

That's very disappointing if true. That was one of my most wanted features for a Nintendo handheld.

Spy

I literally just bought my little brother I nice pair of bluetooth headphones because I heard the Switch would support it.

Noitshado

Nintendo bad cloud is on a roll today it seems. Yeah it sucks. They do sell small dongles to plug into the headphone Jack's and transmits to Bluetooth so there is that option for those that are affected. Annoying though cuz now u have to carry another accessory that also needs to be charged making it not ideal.

KingV

Not surprised tbh. PS4 and Xbox One don't support it either and it must be a technical reason.

It's probably fixable with an update. Switch has a bluetooth chip. In fact, I am pretty sure that joycons work through bluetooth.

Afaik every Nintendo controller since the Wii uses bluetooth to connect wirelessly.

That sucks, oh well. No where near a deal breaker for me. I keep wired and wireless headphones in all three of my gaming areas: my living room, my bedroom and my office.

My office I have my iphone earpods and a set of LoHi bluetooth headset

My living room: Some expensive Sony branded wired headphones (not a true audiophile) and the xbox one branded big headphones. I also have have three sets of wireless headphones, Sony Gold, some monoprice bluetooth headset and a second set of LoHi bluetooth headset.

My bedroom, I have earpods and a second set of the monoprice bluetooth headset.

Not to mention the countless other headphones/headsets I have in our storage shed.

martino

This issue seems as important as having BC....
It really impacts small niche who will have to deal with it in the end.
I intend them to be vocal thought

Can't imagine why it wouldn't. That is a fix for home, cept it's another thing to charge. Luckily I have some shorter microUSB cords laying around.

Thanks for the idea!

Yeah that's true, although I think they have some that get power from what they're plugged into. But yeah, I'm sad either way about this.

At home I'll just connect my Bluetooth headphones directly to the television and get Switch audio that way but this'll be a bitch when on the go.
I'll need a bulky carrying case, external battery pack and now separate set of headphones, sigh...

At home I'll just connect my Bluetooth headphones directly to the television and get Switch audio that way but this'll be a bitch when on the go.
I'll need a bulky carrying case, external battery pack and now separate set of headphones, sigh...

When I found out my 4k samsung was able to output bluetooth audio, my mind was blown. No dongles.

Seik

Banned
Isn't it really weird that we're getting know shit like that a week before launch?

I mean, holy shit Nintendo, PLEASE just do detailed report on what does/doesn't work, along with your online infrastructure plans and by this I mean: more than a simplistic checklist, DETAILS.

Top Bottom