• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France: updated sales numbers

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
amiibo is going to get nintendo back in the game in a big way i reckon. combining it so well with smash was a master stroke. now patch smash so i can take that little bastard online so somebody ANYBODy can teach him a lesson, cause i sure cant :(

KooopaKid

Banned
60k for bayonetta 2 in France only right?

Isn't this OK?

It's a projection by the end of the year but he said most of the sales were day 1.
Nevertheless, yes, it's very OK.

70k US + 60k France + 50k Japan + 40k UK? + 60k? rest of the world = 280k worldwide?

Astral Dog

I like to think this gives us a way of looking at what the total could possibly be in the US and Europe overall. It has to be significantly more in the US due to install base difference alone.
I dont think it works that way.

250K worldwide? god, it should be at least 300, thats terrible.

69wpm

It's a projection by the end of the year but he said most of the sales were day 1.
Nevertheless, yes, it's very OK.

70k US + 60k France + 50k Japan + 40k UK? + 60k? rest of the world = 280k worldwide?

Don't forget Germany, it's at least as big as France. All sales together should be over 300k.

TheMoon

amiibo is going to get nintendo back in the game in a big way i reckon. combining it so well with smash was a master stroke. now patch smash so i can take that little bastard online so somebody ANYBODy can teach him a lesson, cause i sure cant :(

why do they need to patch smash? online works fine.

ChaosXVI

Nice to see Bayo 2 selling (relatively) well in France, I'm curious how well it did in the rest of Europe, as well as some more solid numbers for US.

Where did the US Bayo 2 numbers come from?

Bruno MB

Almost 500k doesn't really seem like that much for a country that size.

Is there anything to historically compare this to?

PlayStation 3 sold 530,000 units in its first 9 month of sales, Xbox 360 needed 2 years to sell the same amount (570,000).

Code:
LTD 2007

Nintendo Wii - 1,280,000 
PlayStation 3 - 530,000
Xbox 360 - 570,000

LTD 2008

Nintendo Wii - 2,886,000
PlayStation 3 - 1,245,000
Xbox 360 - 1,141,000

LTD 2009

Nintendo Wii - 4,100,000
PlayStation 3 - 2,100,000
Xbox 360 - 1,700,000

PlayStation 3 sold 530,000 units in its first 9 month of sales, Xbox 360 needed 2 years to sell the same amount (570,000).

Code:
LTD 2007

Nintendo Wii - 1,280,000 
PlayStation 3 - 530,000
Xbox 360 - 570,000

LTD 2008

Nintendo Wii - 2,886,000
PlayStation 3 - 1,245,000
Xbox 360 - 1,141,000

LTD 2009

Nintendo Wii - 4,100,000
PlayStation 3 - 2,100,000
Xbox 360 - 1,700,000

wait a minute
360 did as much in 2008/2009 individually as it did from 2005-2007? what

vazel

Banned
France bought just as many copies of Bayonetta 2 as the entire USA. Be ashamed my countrymen, be ashamed.
That's completely crazy. We are 1/5th of US population.
I know, I was speaking as an American. We should have bought 2-3x as many copies at least.

Koren

Yep, France is basically a "otaku-land". Young people worship anything Japanese, anime, manga, sushi, 8-bit gaming. Nintendo is still trying to find out why this is the case.
There's no doubt why this is the case... Back in the 80s, there were some fight over TV shows for kids. Quite close to war, actually. They needed a lot of programs for kids, and japan was a market with a LOT of stuff, and usually quite cheap stuff. A lot of anime from Japan was imported, and a several collaborative works have also been done.

Anime brought manga along, then all the japanese culture. Even if France may be importing less anime now, at least on the major TV channels (but still has many animes on free TV and several pay TV dedicated to anime and japanese culture), it settled for good. All people in their 30s have grown with japanese stuff. There's now huge festivals about japanese culture that draw a lot of people. We're at a point that nearly all of my friends have spend some time in Japan.

saturnine

We're at a point that nearly all of my friends have spend some time in Japan.
Seems you have some interesting friends. I don't think I ever met someone who ever went to japan. As a matter of fact I only know one person who bought a Wii U, most people I talked to are fine playing f2p games (TF2, LoL,...)

I feel proud that Nintendo managed to find a receptive market in France
which is totally stupid but hey

?
Wii U sells 2 million in Japan, and people say consoles are 'dead' there.
Wii U sells .45 million in France, a country with half the population, and people in this thread are saying France loves Nintendo. If 2 million in Japan isn't considered that good, shouldn't sales half as good as that be considered pretty abysmal?
But the fact that there are people in this thread that are saying these numbers are good, leads me to the conclusion that video games aren't as big in France, at least, as NA or Japan.
The Wii U HW numbers are good for the Wii U. I.e. relative to it's cumulative performance in other European markets of comparable size like the UK and relative to the total shipped units only being in the realm of 7M or so.

The number is still bad in absolute terms.

Bruno MB

wait a minute
360 did as much in 2008/2009 individually as it did from 2005-2007? what

That didn't only happen in France, it's practically the same for other European countries. Let's not forget that Xbox 360 had an atrocious start but Microsoft managed to turn things around. Unfortunately for Nintendo, this doesn't seem to be the case with Wii U since 2014 might be its sales peak which is really sad and shows how big of a failure this console is.

There's now huge festivals about japanese culture that draw a lot of people.

Yes, Japan Expo (annual event near Paris) brought 240k visitors this year and is one of the biggest event in Europe, and twice the attendance of San Diego 2013 Comic-Con.

MepH-

Neo Member
Hello guys, my account just got activated so this will be my first post on the Neogaf forum !
I'm from France, and I read the 2 articles from Phlippe Lavoué (the one with Gamekult and the other one with Challenges)

As you guys probably already know, France is indeed the strongest European market for Nintendo, despite being 3rd for the general videogames market in Europe. So yes, France loves Nintendo!

About the OP:
Bayo2 isn't at ~60K already.

Phlippe Lavoué said to challenges.fr that "SSBU should be doing about 200K overall in 2014". His words to gamekult were that "SSBU should do 200K, and Bayo2 should do 60K", so it's in fact a projection for the LTD number at years end.
He also said that the game had very frontloaded sales so most of the sales were day one, in the opposite of games like SSBU or MK8 that are going to sell a lot for a long time.

With this, we can deduce that Bayonetta 2 sales are probably above 50K in France as of today anyway. (and 60K shipped)

Yes, Japan Expo (annual event near Paris) brought 240k visitors this year and is one of the biggest event in Europe, and twice the attendance of San Diego 2013 Comic-Con.

japan expo is amazing, and it's not even the biggest european event. IIRC both the Angoulême International Comics Festival (france) and Lucca Comics and Games (Italy) have even bigger audiences

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hello guys, my account just got activated so this will be my first post on the Neogaf forum !
I'm from France, and I read the 2 articles from Phlippe Lavoué (the one with Gamekult and the other one with Challenges)

As you guys probably already know, France is indeed the strongest European market for Nintendo, despite being 3rd for the general videogames market in Europe. So yes, France loves Nintendo!

About the OP:
Bayo2 isn't at ~60K already.

Phlippe Lavoué said to challenges.fr that "SSBU should be doing about 200K overall in 2014". His words to gamekult were that "SSBU should do 200K, and Bayo2 should do 60K", so it's in fact a projection for the LTD number at years end.
He also said that the game had very frontloaded sales so most of the sales were day one, in the opposite of games like SSBU or MK8 that are going to sell a lot for a long time.

With this, we can deduce that Bayonetta 2 sales are probably above 50K in France as of today anyway. (and 60K shipped)

Thanks for the clarification, and welcome to GAF.

DrWong

japan expo is amazing, and it's not even the biggest european event. IIRC both the Angoulême International Comics Festival (france) and Lucca Comics and Games (Italy) have even bigger audiences

Angoulême is for all comics-bd-manga, as well as Lucca Comics. Japan Expo is focused on Japan with manga, anime, video games - Iwata was there 2 years ago - and other stuff and there's also a second yearly Japan Expo in the south, in Marseille. And there're other Japan focused event with tens of thousands of visitors in Paris, Lyon... It's the better place ;]

It wasn't particularly publicized but that 229€ Wii U / Smash bundle should work very well for them. I think its RRP is 249€ but online retailers like Amazon or Fnac are pushing it at 229.
I'm actually on the fence about it.

Top Bottom