• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Gets Enviro-Friendly Game Cases

rvy

Banned
I don't get it, how is opening up two ugly holes in the case going to benefit the environment? This seems like a way for corporations to save money, not to save the environment.

Fuck off. Seriously.

HUELEN10

Threi said:
There are three things in life you never get between in a Man's life:

1. His wife
2. His offspring
3. His hobbies (Game Case)
Amen.
EmCeeGramr said:
who does this

who does this
If you are referring to the variety of Wii cases with pics that I posted, it was done by my friends and I because we were asked to. We went through over 140 different games, and it was quite interesting.
Shikashi said:
I don't get it, how is opening up two ugly holes in the case going to benefit the environment? This seems like a way for corporations to save money, not to save the environment.

Fuck off. Seriously.
I like the cut of your jib.
Somnid said:
The funny thing is that the paper CD sleeves have been more than adequate to protect discs. This is why this is such a stupid issue, the plastic adds some structure, it's to line it up and make it look nice on a shelf, not protect it from crushing. DVD soft plastic cases were never meant to protect against warping like CD jewel cases. What matters is that the disc isn't coming into contact with hard surfaces, which a simple piece of plastic or paper can do. I'm not even that old but I certainly remember CD wallets and how practically everyone used to use them.
With wallets through, there tend to sometimes be some issues for some people. Some people, not all people mind you. First of all, Case Logic, the company that used to make some of the best wallets and binders around but they have decreased in quality over the last couple of years due to looser pockets which makes it easy for discs to simply tumble out. Second of all, not all of the good binders have removable pages, something imperative when you have lots of consoles and need to sort them by console. Let's say you have 11 360 games, followed by 9 Wii games, but you later get some more 360 games. You'll have to take all of those discs out and re-sort them, page by page, pocket by pocket. The problem with stand-alone removable pages, or even binders with removable pages is that they can get pricey, and you can get tempted to over-stuff them, which can cause the disc to snap. Next we have the problem with loaning a game out, or taking it with you. You can't just put the cases in a box, you need the case for the game, or at least a mini-wallet which is even more cash!. Give it in a jewel case to your pal, and it will come back fucked up, you all know what I'm talking about here. But since the cases are in a box and dull to get out, you might as well leave them on the shelf, and if they are on the shelf, there is no point of having the freaking binder in the first place! I used binders for years, but now just for DVD that are not part of an anthology or series. Point is, I think it turns into BS after a while, I know other who feel the same way, and some who don't. You gotta do what works best for your collection and setup. Some people "play for keeps", some don't. It's cool either way.

God, I felt like Bullshit man for a second.

Shikashi said:

Fuck off. Seriously.
It reduces weight, meaning that transportation uses less gas and therefore produces less emissions.

Everytime I buy one of these cases, I make sure to light a tire on fire that way I offset the polution that my case reduced at least 10 fold.

Chemo

HUELEN10 said:
If you are referring to the variety of Wii cases with pics that I posted, it was done by my friends and I because we were asked to. We went through over 140 different games, and it was quite interesting.
It really, really isn't.

Chemo said:
It really, really isn't.
what, don't you like to sit around with your mario plushies friends and go through hundreds of video games to find differences in the manufacture of their plastic cases

then we all go out for a rousing session of chewing polystyrene packaging in boxes to see if there's been any changes in consistency and construction since the last fiscal year

HUELEN10

perfectchaos007 said:
Is it wrong for something obscure to fascinate you? If he finds it interesting then how can you tell him it isn't? It may not be interesting to you...
It wasn't interesting to me either, but the 35 USD I got payed sure was! 35 USD for less than an hour doing squat can make a lot of things interesting. :D (It's a long, boring story, I'll PM it to y'all some time.) To heck with your attacks EmCeeGramr, why do you have to hate?

BTW. I am OCD about my collection, tis true, I may seem a little too passionate about this, I'm not, this stuff just reads that way, but I am NOT this guy.... (Saw link on the cowman's site, have no idea who he is, but he's leaving console gaming because of this.)

Damn fool.

He's a fool for quitting like this while there are better ways (like buying used and getting GOOD cases). BTW, I do agree with the fact that it is greenwashing, and I think George Carlin has never been more relevant to gamers! Still, I disagree with what this guy says after the video.

yeah I guess if theres a payment involved, that would make it all worthwhile. But hey I saw a story on dateline about a kid who liked to travel around the country looking at trash bins so I wasn't going to judge.:lol

I consider myself pretty environmentally conscious, but these are ugly as hell and seem to have the structural integrity of a damp tissue.

Please find a better solution.

Durante

I don't believe for one second that this has anything to do with the environment. It's cheaper to make and cheaper to transport. Even if the savings per unit are miniscule it will still add up.

Somnid

HUELEN10 said:
CD Wallets... [Edited for length]

I don't mean that in that you should use them, I meant it in that the this integrety issue is not very important. A good number of people do not use full hard cases and very few have ever rendered discs inoperable as a result. The worst (and most common) thing I could think with a disc is to have it stepped on, and pretty much any case won't take that (in fact because it's raised most cases would warp the disc in this case, whereas the disc itself wouldn't). Your most important thing is to prevent scratches which these can do no worse than any sort of fabric sleeve which work just fine.

Quite frankly, most of the arguments are geared more toward damage to the packaging than real damage to the product itself. This then gets translated into "what-ifs." So I think it's more than fair to have you work that out on your own if you are paranoid about it, or buy tin-cased special editions or something.

My Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow Training are adequately protected in crappy cardboard which is a step down from these. I bought some extra Wii cases to store them in for uniformity but really I can't say that it would cause me trouble to keep them in the original packaging.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Shiggy said:
Next step:
222DVD-WowWallet_recycled-board.jpg

If this happens, HUELEN10's suicide will be imminent. ;)
Goddamit, that is fucking sexy. Way better than what we have now.

perfectchaos007 said:
Is it wrong for something obscure to fascinate you? If he finds it interesting then how can you tell him it isn't? It may not be interesting to you...
No, even Huell Howser wouldn't find that interesting.

proposition said:
Oh no! How wil my discs survive the harsh conditions and bumps and crashes they sustain on a regular basis while they sit on my shelf unused for months at a time now???

I guess you buy all your games at launch. It's not hard to imagine the discs getting damaged after the cases have been sitting on the shelf for a couple months, being manhandled by tons of people.

whitehawk

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
Okay, that's where I draw the line. As per NeoGAF's "poster's who can't post good thread", not that I need it or anything, I should counter (I could ignore, but as I've said before, I draw the fucking line at furries).

1. I fucking HATE furries. If you truly know me and my posts, I have explained why that's the case on too many occasions to count.

2. I started becoming aware about case manufacturing a couple years back because I am interested in the nitty-gritty of things. This is not that uncommon for hobby enthusiasts of all hobbies. Furthermore, I started become aware of this eco thing when it first hit the 360 cases a few months back. So what did I do? As any person who actually wants to say anything worth jack shit about it, I did some research on the matter, and found out what I didn't want to hear, the fact that it was spreading (again, check my post history should you like evidence). If that's infantile, so sue me. I am a humble man who makes an honest and decent living and I just want my honest dollar going to an honest product. Is that so crazy of a demand? Fuck no! If being prudent and wise about where the money goes is infantile, then I suggest you re-check your thoughts on the matter. I believe one should be prudent not only on necessary expenses and savings, like any responsible adult such as myself should for the matter, but on the "wants" as well. If you aren't prudent, youa re just pissing away your own hard work. Besdies, it's not like I am not reading the opposing view point. As I've said before, green is good. All I'm saying is do it in a way that logically counts in the long run. Now, is that really far-fetched? I honestly think not.

3. Nintendo fanboy? Actually read my posts before making such claims. Liking things does not make you a fanboy. If I didn't like the industry in general, I wouldn't be a gamer in general, now would I? Besides, if there is one company that I love that I have been continually dissapointed this gen for various reason, not including this one (the shit cases reason), it's Nintendo (10 fried GPUs).

Seriously, should you truly need to insult me, which I don't see why you would as I am quite nice to people, even those that insult, please use my PM box. Unlike some others, I do not believe in a block list, and I read every PM. I'll extend that courtesy to you, won't you do the same?

It's shit like this that makes me re-think this hobby TBH. Crap like this never happened with model railroading...

With all that being said, Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and good fucking night.

I swear, it's the same fucking thing every xmas, whether IRL, or in this odd case, online. At least I don't celebrate it, so nothing has been soured more than usual. Forever an optimist! :) I swear you guys, law school is less stressful than this. XD
628vyxd.gif

Holy shit, it's not that big of a deal. I can understand where you're coming from, I don't like the cases at all, but I mean COME ON! There are better things to complain about in this world. "Oh noes my case will get damaged even though it sits still all day in a safe shelf". Seriously, get real. I would love it if they kept the plastic, or just reduced the size of the case like blu-ray, but it is not going to affect my life in any shape form or way. Please, let's not cry over spilt milk here.

HUELEN10

whitehawk said:
628vyxd.gif

Holy shit, it's not that big of a deal. I can understand where you're coming from, I don't like the cases at all, but I mean COME ON! There are better things to complain about in this world. "Oh noes my case will get damaged even though it sits still all day in a safe shelf". Seriously, get real. I would love it if they kept the plastic, or just reduced the size of the case like blu-ray, but it is not going to affect my life in any shape form or way. Please, let's not cry over spilt milk here.
No one's crying, as I aforementioned, sorry if it read more severe or passionate than intended, this is after all the internet and not an audio message sadly, so keep that in mind.

Now this guy, this guy's nuts. I'm just gonna do what any normal person who doesn't like these cases does: Buy new ones, and recognize the fact that I'm being bamboozled money-wise. :D I am a thrifty guy myself, hell I just fought with amazon over 12 bucks. :lol But as I said before, any normal person who doesn't like these cases, and these people can be gamers, home video buffs, ETC, will just buy new cases or a wallet and recognize the fact that they are being bamboozled money-wise.

DNF

i haven't seen these new cases in real live, so i can only make assumptions by seeing the picture in the first post, but i don't understand what the big deal is:

1. yes they are looking uglier than normal cases. (personal opinion)

2. yes they are looking less robust than normal cases. (which is a real problem, because we all know how gladly video gamers hit their cases with hard, sharp sticks so if the data-side of the dvds isn't covered completly by the case, those sticks sure will make scratches.)

3. even if the evil companies never had the intention to be environment-friendly in the first place and they are only doing this to spend less money, as others mentioned before the environment is still profiting from this idea, because of:
a) less weight for shipping
b) less plastic used
which is good thing, isn't it ?

HUELEN10 said:
Now this guy, this guy's nuts.

If you don't like how a business is treating you, you respond with your money. That's not "nuts" that's common sense. :p

The guy's pro consumer and hates anti-consumer industries so his reaction is real and he will not update his blog anymore. That saddens me because I learned a lot from him. I'm still fascinated with creative destruction and I've never thought or heard/read from anyone who looked into mythos, content, and game music (this was a big one for me as I always loved game music and I like to compose) the way he does.

Anyway, farewell to Malstrom. Greenwashing is merely an addition of many potential breaking points that was peeving him with Nintendo. It seems kenin-senim (User on gaf. I forgot how to spell his name) was right about Nintendo when he talked how he believed the executives and designers weren't really thinking of their games in terms of disruption.

I'm just gonna do what any normal person who doesn't like these cases does: Buy new ones, and recognize the fact that I'm being bamboozled money-wise.

:lol You need games to live? It's all cool. The eco cases aren't your breaking point. You and me are abnormal in that we just gotta play some of the new games coming out. :D

I don't know if these cases will be a breaking point for me yet as I've never had experience with one. I take some of my games, like Smash and Wii Sports and soon Mario Bros, all over the place, so some of gaf's cries does have me a bit concerned. My Smash Bros. case is pretty beaten up, but the game is still in great condition. Crystal Bearers is a single player game so I don't think if I had owned the game it would leave my shelf often, but I would be peeved if having the case rub against my other game cases will get my game damaged in anyway.

The new cases are another way of saying "take better care of your games or buy another box." The discs don't look protected at all and appear easy to have scratched. This is stupid. I don't settle in one place. I'll be moving again and again.

TunaLover

I store my games in cd boxes, I keep the real cases wrapped in a shelf =P

But it's going to be a problem when you need get a second hand game, normal people don't tend to be much carefully with their games, let alone thier cases =/

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah they should, problem is - it's logical, and it doesn't have the "recycle" logo... even though recycling is considered to be one of the poorer forms of environmental conservation.

Really it's just two things - removing guilt even though it barely helps and profit.

Cruzader

Banned
wait bluray cases are already eco-friendly since they are reduced in size/weight compared to regular DVD cases so WTF is Sony "in talks" aabout this BS.(for PS3 games)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I like the idea of environmentally friendly game cases, but there are much better ways to do it.

1. Smaller packaging - the PSP cases have too much dead zones that are useless. The cases could be DS sized.
2. Better structural design with less plastic - I read someone write earlier that a grid layout would be far better. That makes a lot of sense to me if they really want to be environmentally friendly.
3. Use more biodegradable casing - Have lots of it, but have casing that wont take thousands of years to wither away.

ghostmind

Meanwhile, the amount of plastic packaging in anti-theft blisterpacks, plastic clips, ties and screws (anyone who has a child know what I am talking about) that I threw away this Christmas was staggering. But let's all go on believing that this change is anything more than cost-reduction.

Let me restate this: what is wrong with using a recycled cardboard keep case? Wouldn't that be far better for the environment than these plastic cases? Oh right - cost to the manufacturer - I guess the environment is only a good excuse when it is useful.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ghostmind said:
Meanwhile, the amount of plastic packaging in anti-theft blisterpacks, plastic clips, ties and screws (anyone who has a child know what I am talking about) that I threw away this Christmas was staggering. But let's all go on believing that this change is anything more than cost-reduction.

Let me restate this: what is wrong with using a recycled cardboard keep case? Wouldn't that be far better for the environment than these plastic cases? Oh right - cost to the manufacturer - I guess the environment is only a good excuse when it is useful.
Yeah, I think the plastic case is cheaper, since you can mass produce them. If you did cardboard, you would have to make a custom printed one for each game, instead of just a slip case.

I wonder why they never went with 'slightly-bigger-then-ds' sized cases though. I know they did it with the gamecube, but for the Wii, I would of loved a jewel sized case made of what the DVD case is made out of.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
I have shitty luck when it comes to these game cases, I have 3 games that come in these cases and all of their cases were damaged in shipping.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really don't think the eco-holes will actually save anything, really.

It's like the corporates watch Captain Planet and think everything he says is true.

panda21 said:
is the point just less plastic? it doesnt look like that much less. i think they could do better if they tried.

that small amount of plastic X however many billion game cases they ship=it adds up.

Kuraudo

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
that small amount of plastic X however many billion game cases they ship=it adds up.

The better gesture would be to stop shrink wrapping each individual box. I understand the need and desire for factory sealing games, but a piece of tape (like MS use under the shrinkwrapping) would more than suffice.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Imo Huelen is absolutely right and I'm saying this although I'm green myself. This is just an alibi and not a real step to reduce the ecological foot print. The case is meant to protect the disc and thus should be solid. A bit of plastic on a keep case isn't the nature's main problem. Don't use cars so much, when you buy cars, buy cars which don't need much fuel, don't waste heat by having not properly isolated rooms and opening windows and doors while using the heater, all this helps way more than the tiny bit of plastic one can save on the packaging of a discpossibly causing many players to buy an additional case and thus producing unneccesary waste as the box as it is will be thrown away and not be used as a keep case.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Yoshi said:
Imo Huelen is absolutely right and I'm saying this although I'm green myself. This is just an alibi and not a real step to reduce the ecological foot print. The case is meant to protect the disc and thus should be solid. A bit of plastic on a keep case isn't the nature's main problem. Don't use cars so much, when you buy cars, buy cars which don't need much fuel, don't waste heat by having not properly isolated rooms and opening windows and doors while using the heater, all this helps way more than the tiny bit of plastic one can save on the packaging of a discpossibly causing many players to buy an additional case and thus producing unneccesary waste as the box as it is will be thrown away and not be used as a keep case.
i would bet money that 99.9999999% of gamers out there will not do this, and yes, to that decimal point.

Top Bottom