• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Gets Enviro-Friendly Game Cases

M3d10n

If you guys are bitching so much for this little, I don't know how you guys are going to deal with the kind of stuff that's to come in the next 20 or so years.

zoukka

M3d10n said:
If you guys are bitching so much for this little, I don't know how you guys are going to deal with the kind of stuff that's to come in the next 20 or so years.

Some of them are bound to grow up though.

kylej

Banned
Rez said:
211l8hl.jpg

spot the one who needs to move out of his parent's house and get a real problem

Furry + Nintendo fanboy to the extreme + Infantile view of the world = Huelen. The dude exudes wahjah.

dani_dc

Android18a said:
*quick mockup*

2z4loo7.jpg

Yep, I could live with DS-sized cases for home console games. In fact, I'd encourage it.
And this is what should be done, you save much more plastic and it's more convinient for the consumer, win/win situation.
None of this "let's cut plastic of the box in the most important area of the box, the one that protects the product from outside damage" idiocy.

Somnid

dani_dc said:
And this is what should be done, you save much more plastic and it's more convinient for the consumer, win/win situation.
None of this "let's cut plastic of the box in the most important area of the box, the one that protects the product from outside damage" idiocy.

Because then you'd complain all your cases are different sizes or don't fit in certain shelving units and like environmental Blu-ray cases they'd cut out the same chunck of plastic. But yeah, if you guys are really into it they should probably do that as well.

HUELEN10

kylej said:
Furry + Nintendo fanboy to the extreme + Infantile view of the world = Huelen. The dude exudes wahjah.
Okay, that's where I draw the line. As per NeoGAF's "poster's who can't post good thread", not that I need it or anything, I should counter (I could ignore, but as I've said before, I draw the fucking line at furries).

1. I fucking HATE furries. If you truly know me and my posts, I have explained why that's the case on too many occasions to count.

2. I started becoming aware about case manufacturing a couple years back because I am interested in the nitty-gritty of things. This is not that uncommon for hobby enthusiasts of all hobbies. Furthermore, I started become aware of this eco thing when it first hit the 360 cases a few months back. So what did I do? As any person who actually wants to say anything worth jack shit about it, I did some research on the matter, and found out what I didn't want to hear, the fact that it was spreading (again, check my post history should you like evidence). If that's infantile, so sue me. I am a humble man who makes an honest and decent living and I just want my honest dollar going to an honest product. Is that so crazy of a demand? Fuck no! If being prudent and wise about where the money goes is infantile, then I suggest you re-check your thoughts on the matter. I believe one should be prudent not only on necessary expenses and savings, like any responsible adult such as myself should for the matter, but on the "wants" as well. If you aren't prudent, youa re just pissing away your own hard work. Besdies, it's not like I am not reading the opposing view point. As I've said before, green is good. All I'm saying is do it in a way that logically counts in the long run. Now, is that really far-fetched? I honestly think not.

3. Nintendo fanboy? Actually read my posts before making such claims. Liking things does not make you a fanboy. If I didn't like the industry in general, I wouldn't be a gamer in general, now would I? Besides, if there is one company that I love that I have been continually dissapointed this gen for various reason, not including this one (the shit cases reason), it's Nintendo (10 fried GPUs).

Seriously, should you truly need to insult me, which I don't see why you would as I am quite nice to people, even those that insult, please use my PM box. Unlike some others, I do not believe in a block list, and I read every PM. I'll extend that courtesy to you, won't you do the same?

It's shit like this that makes me re-think this hobby TBH. Crap like this never happened with model railroading...

With all that being said, Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and good fucking night.

I swear, it's the same fucking thing every xmas, whether IRL, or in this odd case, online. At least I don't celebrate it, so nothing has been soured more than usual. Forever an optimist! :) I swear you guys, law school is less stressful than this. XD

domlolz

Banned
M3d10n said:

Exactly but then this thread is so entertaining

gerg

@HUELEN10: Honestly, why is this a big deal? Why is it bad if you suddenly have to take that extra bit of care over your possessions?

dani_dc

Somnid said:
Because then you'd complain all your cases are different sizes or don't fit in certain shelving units and like environmental Blu-ray cases they'd cut out the same chunck of plastic. But yeah, if you guys are really into it they should probably do that as well.
They can cut the box as much as they want as far as I'm concerned, as long as the box is still able to keep the DVD/Blu-ray protected, which this clearly does not.

The issue isn't different size of fitting or not in the shelves.
It's about protecting the product from damage, it seems people don't get it that this kind of design applied will increase the chances of your games being damaged before even reaching you, regardless of were or how you get the game.
More damage boxes and damage games will also result in more wasted plastic.

I don't know about you, but when I'm paying the kind of prices that this games costs, I like to be sure that these products come in condition

But yes, lets pretend this is about the case being pretty and not about the potential issues that this will cause to the condition of the products that we buy.

Somnid

dani_dc said:
They can cut the box as much as they want as far as I'm concerned, as long as the box is still able to keep the DVD/Blu-ray protected, which this clearly does not.

The issue isn't different size of fitting or not in the shelves.
It's about protecting the product from damage, it seems people don't get it that this kind of design applied will increase the chances of your games being damaged before even reaching you damaging it, regardless of were or how you get the game.
More damage boxes and damage games will also result in more wasted plastic.

I don't know about you, but when I'm paying the kind of prices that this games costs, I like to be sure that these products come in condition

But yes, lets pretend this is about the case being pretty and not about the potential issues that this will cause to the condition of the products that we buy.

Then this becomes the Gamestop display copy argument. Just refuse it if you don't like the quality or condition of the case.

nib95 said:
That's BS man. If I'm paying top dollar for this stuff, I want it properly secured. That crappy gap ridden thing is just begging for my little cousins, nieces and nephews to fuck my shit up.

Fuck, i didn't think of that, my nephews are always on my consoles and rough handling my cases. It's what kids do.

And seriously, damn you "green" assholes, i'm gonna burn a tire in my back yard just to piss you off.

SatelliteOfLove said:
BOOSH! That's the shit, right there! Common sense, helps the environment a bit, win-win.

I honestly never understood why we went to those big rectangles in the first place.
Of course, I also never understood why we needed a giant PC game box for a little paper sleeve...

dani_dc

Somnid said:
Then this becomes the Gamestop display copy argument. Just refuse it if you don't like the quality or condition of the case.
Which is why I don't buy in those places.

Except now I won't know if the actual CD is damaged or not until I open the box regardless of if I buy it at Gamestop, Walmart or if I orderd it from Amazon or some other place.
You risk ending up going back and forth the stores, or in online orders, shipping it back and foward, wasting time, money and resources doing so.

Well, if lived in the US anyway, hopefully they won't implement this in Europe.

zoukka

You can always return the broken cases. I mean we'll have to see how this change will affect the percentage of broken game cases to really see if it's worth crying about.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Could somebody, please, for the love of god, explain to me why the remaining plastic is SURROUNDING the disc?

The disc needs protection. The disc has no actual plastic protecting it. All the plastic is surrounding the disc. The disc is, in fact, what holds the box together!

This is the most stupid design i've ever seen.

I'll just buy replacement cases out of ebay and toss the "environmental friendly" ones. Let the environment deal with their shittyness. Yay, they in fact create more garbage!

Game boxes or cases are massive because Joe Consumer makes a decision based on how appealing the box is.

They pick up the case, they see the front, they study the back, everything is nice and legible including screenshots.

Android18a said:
Call me nuts, but why don't DVD and game cases just cut off the excess top and bottom, to make them more CD/DS sized?

This would indeed be a significantly more intelligent solution to the problem, but I guess companies feel compelled to maintain the same form factor that they started with?

Everyone should indeed switch to CD-sized cases made from the flexible DVD case plastic next generation, though; then you can save on plastic without making a flimsier case. But I'm not going to throw a fit like a diaper baby about them doing this instead.

Keio

For a Finer World
I already put all my games/blurays into those 100 Disc cases to declutter my apartment. Nice to see that they won't spend our limited resources into packaging. Digital delivery FTW.

I wonder about the haters. Sure, maybe they should create special editions with extra plastic to cater for the few fetishists. But why is it so bad to try not to kill the planet with plastic shit?

Kintaro said:
I wonder how many folks saying "no big deal" complain about the stickers GameStop puts on new and used games.

Nope, I'm pretty consistent in telling people to man up about that too.

I will say that "I manage a store and I got an entire crushed shipment of boxes" is a real problem that I can actually sympathize with, unlike HUELEN's baby tantrum.

I should be doing hw said:
Why do think people pay more for a metal case?

Because they don't use their money wisely?

Android18a said:
Yep, I could live with DS-sized cases for home console games. In fact, I'd encourage it.

I agree that this would be a better solution by a significant margin, certainly. It'd make Kintaro's life easier while still tweaking out the OCD packaging crazies.

upandaway

Cynar said:
seriously, I've had a game come victim to this already :'(
Ouch! For fuck's sake people, if the cases hurt the discs, switch cases or put the discs in sleeves. I'm not saying it's your fault, far from it, but you could have done without the suffering with a little forward thinking.

SpokkX

This is good news imo.

The next step is 100% digital distribution.

I, for one, am really looking forward to it.

Why should we keep all this plastic crap at home? It is bad for the environment and it takes space that can be used for other stuff.

Bring on the future!

upandaway said:
Ouch! For fuck's sake people, if the cases hurt the discs, switch cases or put the discs in sleeves. I'm not saying it's your fault, far from it, but you could have done without the suffering with a little forward thinking.
It begins.

Who else thinks the green movement was invented by coorporations to have a good excuse to cut production costs and save money? It would be ironic because most hippies hate big coorporations

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
shagg_187 said:
So is Videoman's ID RawmeatCowboy at that banned Nintendo site? Just wondering who took the pic first and who is getting the credit for it... :lol
To set the record straight, RawmeatCowboy is the source of the picture not me.

And I am not RawmeatCowboy if that's what you were asking.

upandaway

I should be doing hw said:
It begins.
Oh, no, so you should keep the discs in those cases after you spent the whole thread saying the discs hurt the damn cases. You're saying I'm doing something wrong for advising people to straight out not use the cases and look for alternatives in order to not lose their games.

Are you not getting me here or what? This is embarrassing. Take a break and close the browser.

Edit: Alright, if you want it that way, disregard. The post was kinda unwarranted though.

Xabora

dani_dc said:
Back to the Jewel Cases?!
HELL YEAH!

upandaway said:
Oh, no, so you should keep the discs in those cases after you spent the whole thread saying the discs hurt the damn cases. You're saying I'm doing something wrong for advising people to straight out not use the cases and look for alternatives in order to not lose their games.

Are you not getting me here or what? This is embarrassing. Take a break and close the browser.
No don't get me wrong I wasn't attack you, I was talking about the shit quality cases affecting the games and what you would have to do because of it. Everybody is saying this is no big deal, but I don't want to have to start putting all my games into sleeves or other cases knowing that keeping it in the one I purchased might ruin it. It's a change don't want to, and shouldn't have to, make for practically no reason (that I can see).

Who else thinks the green movement was invented by coorporations to have a good excuse to cut production costs and save money? It would be ironic because most hippies hate big coorporations
Why else would they do something like this, I find no other logical explanation :lol Nickle-and-diming has reached a new low.

RPGCrazied

that would be so sad, for people buying cases of cases only to get the new green friendly ones.

I think the price on games should go down atleast 5bucks, if we are getting shody ones now

are there any cd/dvd binders that don't scratch discs up?

serious question. i want to put all my discs in a binder and store the cases away. they take up too much space in the living room.

Stridone

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah, because these big companies really need an excuse to revise their case design... Too many morons in this thread.

ZAK

RPGCrazied said:
that would be so sad, for people buying cases of cases only to get the new green friendly ones.

I think the price on games should go down atleast 5bucks, if we are getting shody ones now
$5? How much of the cost of the game do you think is because of the case?

Hope next gen games come back to CD cases sizes but in plastic form pretty much. I rather have them shrink the cases then to punch holes into them.

entrement said:
case_impactist.jpg

http://www.jewelboxing.com/index.php

I wish these were standard. You see them in Japan, but never in the West.

The GB Player game disk came in one of these.

perfectchaos007 said:

In this thread, some members learn that cutting costs and helping the environment go hand in hand.

Shocking news: Excess is wasteful both monetarily and environmentally

Top Bottom