• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Gets Enviro-Friendly Game Cases

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
djdac said:
Just a little info, I ordered 5 Wii cases from Nintendo last week and just got them yesterday. They were all the regular Wii cases and not the eco friendly ones.
A true survivor of the eco-polypse.

HUELEN10

DMeisterJ said:
I hope to god it doesn't happen to the PS3 cases.

Please god.
2ivhfmc.jpg

They switched to Amaray, so it makes sense to assume that it is only a matter of time. Time to stock up then, on cases for all current-gen systems. :lol

Not my picture, but I wish it was. :D

Om3ga

Most of my games i remove from the case and put into my games binder, don't have any scratched disks. For the most part i never look at game cases after i remove the disks. The only time i do is when i'm loaning a game to a friend.

I noticed this in the games that i bought recently and was wondering why they went for this change. This explains everything. Doesn't bother me though.

Ardorx

Banned
My poor video game cases, whatever will I do!? I cannot play games that sport this case as the game is automatically ruined. I guess I'm done playing video games forever. Fucking tree hugging motherfucks, BURN IN HELL.

They're fucking cases people, it's not like they ruin the experience of playing the actual games.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Ardorx said:
My poor video game cases, whatever will I do!? I cannot play games that sport this case as the game is automatically ruined. I guess I'm done playing video games forever. Fucking tree hugging motherfucks, BURN IN HELL.

They're fucking cases people, it's not like they ruin the experience of playing the actual games.
Did you actually read any of the complaints in this thread?

T-Matt

I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about plastic, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about plastic.

HUELEN10

T-Matt said:
I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about plastic, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about plastic.
Plastic that can actually determine the fate of that game, should something happen. Never forget this!

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's that inch of plastic at the top and bottom that ought to be getting cut, not the bit where we're actually pushing and pulling the disc from.

This. Right here. I still have no idea why the hobby went back to huge-ass DVD cases after the PS1's green-friendly-yet-still-tough CD cases, but I guess it had something to do with the PS2 being a DVD trojan horse for the consumer or something.

Ardorx

Banned
Burai said:
Did you actually read any of the complaints in this thread?

Like these cases ruining PS3 games inside cover art? How can one be expected to enjoy the game is the inside cover art is hindered in any way!

It's a fucking case used to house what you actually intended to buy. Get over it.

I hope these cases never make their way to NZ, the slim blu-ray and hd-dvd cases didn't so this shouldn't either. I don't want to throw a game in my bag, head round to a mates and take it out only to find it's been scratched to fuck because someone had to save a couple of grams of plastic.

HUELEN10

Ardorx said:
Like these cases ruining PS3 games inside cover art? How can one be expected to enjoy the game is the inside cover art is hindered in any way!

It's a fucking case used to house what you actually intended to buy. Get over it.
Um...

When I buy a game, I buy the case, the manual, and any and all art. I have, as a consumer, every right, and maybe even a personal duty, to make the most of my purchase and investment. If I bought a game with nice art on the back for the PS3 and it came in a case that could have the potential to ruin the art, aka a legit part of the game you bought with your hopefully hard-earned cash, it is normal to give a shit. You bought something, in a KEEP CASE, that is part of the entire package. Make the most of it, and protect your investment.

You don't get this position, and that's okay. No harm, no foul. But to myself and plenty of others, this is definitely a clear issue in care and quality of the built-in protection our potential invest might receive. That is one thing not up for debate, it's a definite.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Ardorx said:

A simple "No, I haven't actually read the complaints" would have sufficed.

People are concerned about damage to their game discs due to the fact that the data surface of the disc is now almost completely exposed.

Not a single person has claimed that it will ruin the actual game play experience itself.

HUELEN10

Burai said:
A simple "No, I haven't actually read the complaints" would have sufficed.

People are concerned about damage to their game discs due to the fact that the data surface of the disc is now almost completely exposed.

Not a single person has claimed that it will ruin the actual game play experience itself.
Thank you!

I would also like to point out one more thing...
10xqyas.jpg

2qsco08.jpg

These things are fragile and can't take that much abuse, on purpose OR accidental! I am not saying you should abuse your stuff, but a good case should at least be able to survive shipping when packed on its own!

HUELEN10

Auron_Kale said:
Yes it is. We have a couple at my Gamestop that's in the cardboard box.
Really? Well that's refreshing to hear. This means that some CCs on eBay that come in cardboard boxes might be legit now!

If you don't know what I'm talking about, look closely...
2enazgo.jpg

zoku88

I love how some ppl in this thread are more concerned about how the cases look rather than environmental impact.

Remind me of this:
fic_starwars_TIE_Fighter_1__Jestr.jpg

In other news; fuck this. Seriously.

I love how some ppl in this thread are more concerned about how the cases look rather than environmental impact.
What environmental impact? You mean the zero difference this will make at all?

Mindlog

HUELEN10 said:
Thank you!

These things are fragile and can't take that much abuse, on purpose OR accidental! I am not saying you should abuse your stuff, but a good case should at least be able to survive shipping when packed on its own!

Without proper packing even a hard metal case wouldn't be insured by UPS.

It was only a matter of time. It's exactly the same thing that's happened to drink containers. However, they do have to build for the lowest common denominator and perhaps these cases aren't low enough.

Personally, I don't mind them. I've never come close to injuring a disc's honor. Publishers/Devs are still bleeding money on a lot of projects. I am more irked by game manuals. They're ridiculously terrible.

Gagaman

Less plastic used, but surely more machine time to cut out all those shapes? Can't wait to see how second hand games look with these cases, in the hands of people who leave their games on the floor etc. They look pretty darn fragile.

AshMcCool

HUELEN10 said:
Thank you!

That happend to me two times with the old cases.

DeVeAn

Hell, I am all for reduced use of plastic that shit never leaves the planet. But there are better solutions. The CD jewel cases are a perfect Example. They can crack yes but it only uses what the CD needs to fit.

IMO the Sega Genesis cases were the most durable and pretty.

luffeN

where do you guys put your game cases?? mine sit on a shelf, so even if there is less plastic they wouldn't be damaged. seriously, overracting as much as possible.

Jswanko said:
Yeah! Oh wait 25 fucking percent difference? Seriously?
Call Al Gore, global warming is over. If you think this will even have a marginal difference to anything I can't help but laugh.
Who's chucking out that many games to make the recycling factor worth it either? Who's chucking games out at all in fact? They cost that bloody much, eBay or trade in is the only sane answer to get rid of them.

:lol I really don't know what to say about this thread after reading all of it. Wow, just.. it's kinda like that fourth disc of Lost Odyssey.

HUELEN10

DarthWufei said:
:lol I really don't know what to say about this thread after reading all of it. Wow, just.. it's kinda like that fourth disc of Lost Odyssey.
The sad thing is that sleeve is possibly more useful in the long run at protecting the disc than these cases. :lol

Call me nuts, but why don't DVD and game cases just cut off the excess top and bottom, to make them more CD/DS sized? There's LOADS of wasted plastic there. Surely that would save more plastic, and smaller cases can only be good, right? I was thinking the other day how pointlessly tall game boxes really are.

Android18a said:
Call me nuts, but why don't DVD and game cases just cut off the excess top and bottom, to make them more CD/DS sized? There's LOADS of wasted plastic there. Surely that would save more plastic, and smaller cases can only be good, right? I was thinking the other day how pointlessly tall game boxes really are.
I mentioned this, as well as few other posters. Unfortunately it clearly makes too much sense, and therefore Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft cannot pursue this avenue of action. I believe they have some sort of back room deal where they can only cut costs in ways that negatively impact the consumer.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I mentioned this, as well as few other posters. Unfortunately it clearly makes too much sense, and therefore Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft cannot pursue this avenue of action. I believe they have some sort of back room deal where they can only cut costs in ways that negatively impact the consumer.
Bluray cases are already smaller and thinner too. Sony are the bigger idiots if they sign to this.

upandaway

Am I the only one here who throws the boxes into a closet and stores the discs in one of those 50-disc flip folder things?

Hell, I barely use any of the discs either because of the USB Loader, but that's another thing entirely.

Galactic Fork said:
Why didn't they just make the case smaller? I've always wondered why DVD and video games cases have so much empty space. Just make them the size of CD cases.

I did hear one possible explanation in some retail musing on another forum. The answer was consumers make assumptions about what products are based on their shape. The example being used was a customer was looking over the Laserdisc section and commented to the clerk "wow its great you still have LPs but why are they all movie soundtracks?".

I think the reason DVD ended up the shape it was has to do with it replacing VHS and so stores re-using their VHS section and so something with a similar shape should be used. Also for packaging design (you make the same case art for DVD and VHS since they are roughly the same dimension).

Speaking of DVD does anyone remember early DVD cases? You know the plastic backed, cardboard fronted cases with the hinge and I seem to remember something which was a CD jewel case in some sort of cardboard sleeve.

Still I think someone is aware the size of DVD cases was a mistake and a bit large because if you look at blu-ray you notice they are slightly shorter (and a different shape to DVD; again so consumers don't buy the wrong thing).

All this environment talk makes me wonder why all DVD cases are not slim (it tends to be saved for cheap box sets...I guess you have to make the case thick otherwise the consumer doesn't feel they have their moneys worth...making it hollow on the inside doesn't matter it is still thick).

DeVeAn said:
IMO the Sega Genesis cases were the most durable and pretty.
But even they turned to cardboard at the end of the systems life.

I can only speak from a European perspective on those cases (the main difference is our Mega Drive cases stayed plastic till the end; except Sonic & Knuckles) but all my instruction manuals were ruined by the Mega Drive casing. I don't know if extremely thick European manuals are to blame or just not being able to use the manual holding mechanism properly (maybe a mixture of both).

KevinCow

Banned
Android18a said:

Well I can see why this would be hard to do in the middle of a generation. Cutting holes in the cases is easier to hide than shrinking the boxes. The brand still maintains a consistent look, instead of confusing customers by having both big and small cases. The reason they went with such large cases in the first place was to fit in with DVDs, and DVD cases are that size because they wanted them to not look completely awkward next to VHS tapes.

Maybe they'll change it next-gen. If they keep these "enviro-friendly" cases to the end of this gen and then don't change the cases to smaller ones next time, though, I'm going to be thoroughly confused.

Starwolf_UK said:
Speaking of DVD does anyone remember early DVD cases? You know the plastic backed, cardboard fronted cases with the hinge and I seem to remember something which was a CD jewel case in some sort of cardboard sleeve.

I have a couple of those. I think they're like that because they're budget though, not because they're early.

All this environment talk makes me wonder why all DVD cases are not slim (it tends to be saved for cheap box sets...I guess you have to make the case thick otherwise the consumer doesn't feel they have their moneys worth...making it hollow on the inside doesn't matter it is still thick).

I don't think it's so much the thickness as the fact that the thin ones tend to be really flimsy and cheap feeling. It may also have something to do with thicker spines being easier to read.

Jswanko

I should be doing hw said:
Yeah! Oh wait 25 fucking percent difference? Seriously?
Call Al Gore, global warming is over. If you think this will even have a marginal difference to anything I can't help but laugh.
Who's chucking out that many games to make the recycling factor worth it either? Who's chucking games out at all in fact? They cost that bloody much, eBay or trade in is the only sane answer to get rid of them.

25% is better then nothing. Especially if the only downside is a slightly less aesthetically pleasing package. Ive been messing with the MW2 case and Im willing to bet that almost any abuse that would break the new case would also break the old one.

And you're right about the recycling aspect being negligible. Because we all know every game that's printed is purchased and kept. NO game, especially not old sports games, ever winds up in a land fill.

And an Al Gore reference? Seriously?

Enigma777

Banned
I recently bought a bunch of spare PS3 cases to replace those horrible GH red ones, so I'm not too worried as I have many spares...

Burai

shitonmychest57
Starwolf_UK said:

They were fucking horrible. Pretty much Warner were the only studio to use them here in the UK. There was also a ridiculous jewel case-esque thing that my first pressing of Trainspotting came in that was too tall and wide to fit in my DVD rack. It was a double sided DVD5 too, with the 16:9 version on one side and the 4:3 pan and scan on the other. Great days.

Jswanko said:
25% is better then nothing. Especially if the only downside is a slightly less aesthetically pleasing package. Ive been messing with the MW2 case and Im willing to bet that almost any abuse that would break the new case would also break the old one.

And you're right about the recycling aspect being negligible. Because we all know every game that's printed is purchased and kept. NO game, especially not old sports games, ever winds up in a land fill.

And an Al Gore reference? Seriously?
I can't even talk to you people, you aggravate me too easily.

Top Bottom