• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Gets Enviro-Friendly Game Cases

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cosmonaut X said:
...insane? What you're seeing is the white case, with cutouts, and then the plastic cover that's attached to the front to hold the sleeve on.
Look above the case. It's the same image as what you see through the spokes where the CD goes.

Is there literally nothing between the CD place and the plastic outside? Isn't there normally like a piece of paper with some artwork for the back of the box?

Nirolak said:
Look above the case. It's the same image as what you see through the spokes where the CD goes.

Is there literally nothing between the CD place and the plastic outside? Isn't there normally like a piece of paper with some artwork for the back of the box?

Yeah, but it's obviously been removed (I'd imagine) to more clearly show the cutouts.

EDIT:

Stumpokapow said:
lol at people shitting on greenpeace when this change is entirely because of wal-mart.

How so? I've not followed the whole reasoning for the change in packaging, but I wouldn't have thought there would have been pressure for this from retail (except insofar as keeping the same DVD case dimensions etc.)

dani_dc

charlequin said:
Don't give your game cases to infants or particularly aggressive pets to play with, I guess?
With this setup it becomes incredibly easy for games to get damaged before you buy it or before it reachs your hands (if you order it online).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I really wonder how big the ecological footprint is for videogames? I'm sure there's something to be said for the power it takes to run these things, and the materials it takes to build, ship and yes, package the games.. But I'm willing to bet that considering the sheer size of this industry, it actually has a relatively small impact on the planet.

Once it's digital distributed, the impact will be nil.

My cousin works for Greenpeace.. Awesome, I've got tomorrow's Christmas family argument all planned out!

HUELEN10

t6aumq.jpg

For those that may be curious in future DS/DSi packaging. Besides the color, the only difference is that it feels a tad more lightweight, and the little logo that earlier DS cases had insane the area of the GBA/Option pak compartment is gone. I hope no more changes are made to DS/DSi cases, but you never know.

:(

Off Topic: I LOVE the flat edge on the left hand side of the front of the box for the DSi logo and the spine. Looks very spiffy compared to the old GBA-like curve of DS boxart on the front.
BocoDragon said:
I really wonder how big the ecological footprint is for videogames? I'm sure there's something to be said for the power it takes to run these things, and the materials it takes to build, ship and yes, package the games.. But I'm willing to bet that considering the sheer size of this industry, it actually has a relatively small impact on the planet.

Once it's digital distributed, the impact will be nil.

My cousin works for Greenpeace.. Awesome, I've got tomorrow's Christmas family argument all planned out!
:lol

BocoDragon

Cosmonaut X said:
How so? I've not followed the whole reasoning for the change in packaging, but I wouldn't have thought there would have been pressure for this from retail (except insofar as keeping the same DVD case dimensions etc.)
In a way it is Wal-Mart.. Under pressure from lobbies like Greenpeace that is. They are such a massive target for environmentalists that it's in their interest to heavily appear environmentally friendly (Greenwashing). So they are making a strong movement against wasteful packaging.

That's incredibly nice for things like iPod skin boxes instead of evil plastic cases... But game cases? Mistakenly targeted in one sense because they aren't disposable packaging.. Most buyers KEEP the cases. Making a shitty flimsy "environment friendly" case might just encourage people to throw them out! If they went all the way with cardboard boxes it certainly would (look at all early videogames in cardboard boxes: rare, because people tossed them in the trash!)

HUELEN10

BocoDragon said:
In a way it is Wal-Mart.. Under pressure from lobbies like Greenpeace that is. They are such a massive target for environmentalists that it's in their interest to heavily appear environmentally friendly (Greenwashing). So they are making a strong movement against wasteful packaging.

That's incredibly nice for things like iPod skin boxes instead of evil plastic cases... But game cases? Mistakenly targeted in one sense because they aren't disposable packaging.. Most buyers KEEP the cases. Making a shitty flimsy "environment friendly" case might just encourage people to throw them out! If they went all the way with cardboard boxes it certainly would (look at all early videogames in cardboard boxes: rare, because people tossed them in the trash!)
Not only that, but DVD-style cases are called KEEP CASES for a reason dammit! :D

charlequin said:
Don't give your game cases to infants or particularly aggressive pets to play with, I guess?
I'd love to get them a separate chew toy, but... think what that might do to the environment.
cryingindian_2.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
*puts on Monocle and Top Hat*

I say, Sony wins again! No shitty flimsy able to hurt the discs for the PS3! Tut, tut!

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'd love to get them a separate chew toy, but... think what that might do to the environment.

You're already impacting the environment worse than that gamebox with a kid, though. (In before huge shitstorm about this)

I've always thought it would make more sense to make slightly larger than CD style boxes using the softer plastic of DVD cases. That way you would save plastic, collections would take up less room, and the disc would remain well protected. Apparently making flimsy boxes that are easy to puncture and don't provide as much protection to the disk is a better idea though.

:p

HUELEN10

fizzelopeguss said:
protect the data side of the disc.
Thank you!

See, if they REALLY wanted to do it right, they would have made the whole case as a grid. Strong, AND less plastic.

Majmun

Treehuggers ftl.
It's not as if sparing that little amount of plastic is going to save the world. Why won't they go to third world countries and recycle all the plastic that's lying on the roads and bushes. But no, they have to touch my game covers.

HUELEN10

Wait a minute...
WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE!
2vvvzw3.jpg

Are you seeing what I'm seeing? I can't believe I missed it!
See the middle part? Why the fuck does it have the 2 clips for extra discs if this, like ALL Wii titles is a single-disc release?!?!?!?!?!

Fucking hypocrites. :lol

HUELEN10 said:
Wait a minute...
WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE!

See the middle part? Why the fuck does it have the 2 clips for extra discs if this, like ALL Wii titles is a single-disc release?!?!?!?!?!
f09oxt.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Second said:
Treehuggers ftl.
It's not as if sparing that little amount of plastic is going to save the world. Why won't they go to third world countries and recycle all the plastic that's lying on the roads and bushes. But no, they have to touch my game covers.

you are aware that the same groups who would be in favour of using less plastic in the first world are ALSO the groups that do do sustainability efforts in the third world, right?

HUELEN10

Seriously, they say they are being eco-friendly, getting rid of what they don't need, but they shitify the case while leaving the multiple-disc tabs in? I mean, what were they thinking?!?!?!? It boggles the mind!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
HUELEN10 said:
Seriously, they say they are being eco-friendly, getting rid of what they don't need, but they shitify the case while leaving the multiple-disc tabs in? I mean, what were they thinking?!?!?!? It boggles the mind!
They probably had a lot of those leftover and just cut out the eco stuff.

HUELEN10 said:
Wait a minute...
WAIT A FUCKING MINUTE!
http://i50.tinypic.com/2vvvzw3.jpg

Fucking hypocrites. :lol

Some Wii games, though on rare occasions came with a bonus soundtrack disc(Guilty Gear XX:Accent Core Plus) or an art disc (Phantom Brave: We Meet Again). I believe Brothers In Arms Double Time for Wii is a two disc release.

Draft

Awesome news.

Good for the environment, and it bothers the vile Luddites who despair of the digital future.

A win win.

Yes Boss!

HUELEN10 said:

I've a feeling this is to reduce shipping and freight expenses. It might not seem like much on one case but stack a thousand of these and it is dramatic. The fricken' recycle symbol is just there to make those certain folks feel better about it (somehow).

MarkusRJR

EmCeeGramr said:
Holy shit! I went to grab a pencil from a cupboard (above my lcd monitor) and when I stood up I saw it. It was invisible when I was sitting. MINDFUCK!

Viewing angles ftl.

Eric C

I bought a DVD last week and it had this cut out design. I hate it, now I have to worry my disc will get scratched while IN the case.

nestea

I don't see why I need to be affected by all this eco-sustainability bullshit when I'm doing my part for the planet by pissing in the shower.

HUELEN10

nestea said:
I don't see why I need to be affected by all this eco-sustainability bullshit when I'm doing my part for the planet by pissing in the shower.
Never change nestea, never change.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I got a couple Futurama DVDs this week as gifts and they have this new case. It bugged me that the data side was what was unprotected, while everything else was solid (minus the recycle logo). Little did I know that it was a foreshadow of things to come. Blah.

Why didn't they just make the case smaller? I've always wondered why DVD and video games cases have so much empty space. Just make them the size of CD cases.

HUELEN10

Link Man said:
Why do DSi cases even have a slot for GBA games?
No idea, though the logo in that space is no longer present as I said before. I doubt it will change though, it is a lot like the old case, but lighter, yet it still feels sturdy enough. Maybe they just want to use the same mold for both DS and DSi games.

HUELEN10

silverbullet1080 said:
I install all of my Wii games to its external HDD, so the only time I even see them is the first time I open the box :lol
I do too, but even so, storage cane become an issue. With regular boxes, I can just stack and stack away in boxes, knowing the discs are safe. With these, and yes, I have used these horrible cases on DVDs before and never will deal with those again, the weight of the cases makes them cave in, making so that the disc can get scratched during travel. Surely people like me who go to and from home and dorm and those that move a lot know what I m talking about.

BocoDragon

HUELEN10 said:
No idea, though the logo in that space is no longer present as I said before. I doubt it will change though, it is a lot like the old case, but lighter, yet it still feels sturdy enough. Maybe they just want to use the same mold for both DS and DSi games.
I like that the DSi games have a white case, though. Should have been that way from the beginning.

Nessus

As far as I'm concerned DVD-style game boxes already are environmentally friendly, because they're permanent and reusable, as apposed to cardboard box with little to no utility.

I mean, who throws these out anyways?

Then again I never re-sell games and a lot of people here seem to do that the moment they beat a game.

B.K.

Fuck Greenpeace and fuck the environment.

*turns on every light and appliance in the house*

Take that, environment!

M3d10n

Nessus said:
As far as I'm concerned DVD-style game boxes already are environmentally friendly, because they're permanent and reusable, as apposed to cardboard box with little to no utility.

I mean, who throws these out anyways?

Then again I never re-sell games and a lot of people here seem to do that the moment they beat a game.
Aren't these mass manufactured in the same production lines that make movie cases? If so, it's just the changes to DVD cases spilling onto their less popular consoles siblings.

It also probably saves Nintendo a cent or two per case and they love their monies.

Top Bottom