• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo going after Youtube Let's Play videos

Frolow

Banned
Feel sorry for all the LPers who live on their videos. A few people I know mainly do videos on Nintendo games and make a good living off it, wonder how many of them are affected.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh, just for monetization? Then less of an issue. There's an easy way to bypass this anyway if you're a YouTube partner and work with a partner manager.

I thought it meant they were taking down videos.

goldenpp72

Honestly there are so many people who claim they don't need to buy a game because of X that I can see why some companies do this, I don't agree with it though.

darthbob

Reading Nintendo's response...

tumblr_l5se1iTR0T1qz4w1go1_500.jpg

Orayn

Feel sorry for all the LPers who live on their videos. A few people I know mainly do videos on Nintendo games and make a good living off it, wonder how many of them are affected.

The status of LP videos under Fair Use has always been at least a little tenuous. If you try to make a living off of them without consulting a lawyer at some point to make sure you're in the clear, it's your own fault when something like this happens.

Lots of kneejerk reactions incoming.

I don't really see the point but at least they're not taking down the videos, unlike Sega.

If the thread title stays the same, we'll have enough posts for a nice big Wall of Shame in no time. Edits to the OP won't make a difference since plenty of people are clearly not reading it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The only reason people make these videos is to monetize them. They'll simply stop doing them, bringing even less exposure to Nintendo's games.

Alrus

Wait, so they are getting so fucking desperate now that they have resorted to putting ads on videos of people LP'ing Nintendo games for their marketing campaign? Brilliant Nintendo, put ads at the beginning of LP's for the games people are watching people LP and obviously already know about the game. Marketing masterminds.

A video game publisher putting ads on youtube videos is being desperate now? What the hell...

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I think this is probably a path a lot of other companies will soon follow. No objections to what they're doing however.

Well, they are making money off the backs of other people's content, so it's a rather tricky situation to be sure.

ZeroGravity

The only reason people make these videos is to monetize them. They'll simply stop doing them, bringing even less exposure to Nintendo's games.
It's Nintendo. Their games don't need more exposure. They've had 30+ years of it.

And not everyone who does Let's Plays do so to make money off them. The vast majority, in fact.

I don't... It's the entertainment business... it's rough. I do LPs quite regularly and I monetize them but I don't expect that to produce a steady paycheck... If you're making a "good living" off of LPs, you aren't really doing much.

I'm not saying people can't or shouldn't be able to do so, but we should be respectful of the people who actually MAKE the content we ultimately make money off of.

Frankly, considering how many people watch LPs instead of playing games, I think this is the best course of action Nintendo could take. They aren't blocking him from doing what he was doing, they are just taking in the money from ads on their own copyrighted material themselves instead of letting him do so.

kizmah

Seems about right. It's their content and they are the ones who should be making money off it. The videos are still there so nothing to complain about here.

bomblord

Banned
A real job? you know people make more money doing these thing that the shitty REAL jobs out there?

I'm curious as to what the pay is. I'm not saying you are wrong I am just legitimately curious as to how much these people make off of these videos.

Richie

Wait, so they are getting so fucking desperate now that they have resorted to putting ads on videos of people LP'ing Nintendo games for their marketing campaign? Brilliant Nintendo, put ads at the beginning of LP's for the games people are watching people LP and obviously already know about the game. Marketing masterminds.

Why do you have the impression that they'd promote the same game that's already being watched?

Orayn

Who exactly does this help? Nintendo latching onto LPers like this to advertise seems rather short sighted.

Record labels, TV networks, and movie studios all do this. If your video comes up with a Content ID match for their stuff, you're not allowed to monetize it and they get to stick their own ads on the video. This is not at all new, unique, or desperate.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I think there are plenty of people doing let's plays without the intent to necessarily make money. Some people will stop doing them, sure, but I think there will still be plenty of LPs out there.

Either way, I don't see how anyone thought it would be reasonable to make money by simply providing commentary while you show off the entirety of someone else's creative work and intellectual property.

I don't see why people think they should get paid for playing someone else's game. I mean, its fine to share it and everything, but i don't really see where the right for payment here is. Yay, you can say funny things and make witty comments? ..

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm curious as to what the pay is. I'm not saying you are wrong I am just legitimately curious as to how much these people make off of these videos.

You're not allowed to say as a partner. As a smaller-medium partner, I can say though that the biggest YouTube channels are probably making hundreds of thousands of dollars a month for this. There's a lot of uncertain aspects to it, and I would not suggest to do it for the money or make it your main source of income.

Brofield

Apparently Nintendo has made a statement from the place you go.

I really hope Kevin makes good on his promise to improve his relationship with NeoGAF.

Regardless, I can understand where they're coming from, and it's a helluva lot better approach than what Sega did.

Hmm... I disagree. I've got over 100 videos so far of me and my wife LPing, we do monetize and we have had content match on several occasions (funny enough, it's mostly been Capcom on Mega Man videos... only 1 flag on NSMB from Nintendo). Those that get flagged we don't worry about, we've made a total of $2 in 5 months from advertising... so it literally means nothing to us whether we get ad revenue or not. We do it strictly for fun...

Generalizing is bad mmmm'kay?

Dysun

Watching someone play a game usually makes me want to buy it, so I dont see how it's a bad thing. Nintendo gonna Nintendo
edit-nvm for money only? dont care then

Orayn

I don't see why people think they should get paid for playing someone else's game. I mean, its fine to share it and everything, but i don't really see where the right for payment here is. Yay, you can say funny things and make witty comments? ..

LPs are in a weird gray area of Fair Use doctrine. If your commentary is deemed to "add significantly" to the original work, doesn't interfere with the way the copyright holder wants to handle that work, and meets a variety of other standards, you may be clear to monetize it yourself. If not, tough cookies, because a publisher will out-lawyer you in a heartbeat.

Also, quoting myself so people see this.

Orayn said:
Record labels, TV networks, and movie studios all do this. If your video comes up with a Content ID match for their stuff, you're not allowed to monetize it and they get to stick their own ads on the video. This is not at all new, unique, or desperate.

Alrus

They're using their fans as free advertising. Fans will now be doing more work in advertising the Wii U then Nintendo themselves.

So they're doing exactly what every single business who uses internet as a marketing medium does? And really now, LP videos aren't as wildly popular as you seem to think.

Well, they are making money off the backs of other people's content, so it's a rather tricky situation to be sure.

Content they already paid Nintendo for. The work most of these guys put in to put up good content is nothing to scoff at and if people want to see them they should get paid for it.

Its weird watching people go "I am ok with this.".

If you like watching some people LP or Lets Look at or whatever of a certain game, chances are that person is doing it for a living. And if they arent allowed to make money off Nintendo games then they wont be covering Nintendo games at all.

I dont really see how anyone who enjoys that content can go "Fine by me" because this pretty much means you wont be getting much of that content going forward.

Orayn

Seem like a weird move with the other next gen console(s) having this feature built in.

And? There's a good chance Sony and Microsoft will disable monetization on videos uploaded directly from their systems.

Or do you think Nintendo is taking down videos?

Top Bottom