• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo going after Youtube Let's Play videos

eternalb

I see, thanks for the clarification. Nintendo not gone full retard then.

That's a pretty big issue though. It means there will be a lot less incentive for people to create videos. It sucks all around, even for Nintendo once they can no longer make money off ads for videos people are no longer creating

TCKaos

I mean, if you wanted to be that guy you could just upload the voice over audio and game video separately and have a Youtube Doubler link at the bottom of the audio one, meaning that you would still receive revenue from your audio. Like Rifftrax, but you're also supplying the video in a separate transaction.

Booshka

Can't wait till this snowballs into Twitch streams. I would find it hilarious if Siglemic got the same treatment for speedrunning Super Mario 64. The amount of time he needs to spend playing that game to speedrun it well, makes it so he needs the ad revenue from Twitch ads to sustain himself.

Online media for video games is in such a weird area right now, and it continues to get weirder. Are people watching because of the game solely, or because of the personality of the person playing the game? Most successful channels/streams it is the latter.

I find this really petty, if someone wants to make some money by building up a channel or stream and showcasing your games to a wide audience, I don't see a problem as long as their unique personality is the main draw to the channel/stream.

Nintendo did something similar when MLG hosted SSBB for a season, they wouldn't sign off on the rights for MLG to stream it, because they didn't like MLG making money off of their game. They need to realize their games can be a vessel for competitive play, speedruns, and unique personalities to blossom and entertain people in its own unique way. The people and companies that produce that unique content utilizing their games should be able to profit off the work they put in to make that content desirable to audiences.

Further examples of how behind the curve Nintendo is.

Sandfox

if someone is into lping for the youtube bux, then they're probably not very good at lping
A lot of the people like that are the ones who have a random gaming channel with things like Slender reaction videos to complement their successful Youtube channel.

Orayn

If you play and add your own commentary to your videos there isn't much Nintendo can do. It falls under the law of "fair use" or something to that effect. But the way Youtube works, they just delete any video with a claim and not even look into it. I remember Viacom (owned by Paramount/MTV) striking every ones videos with copyright strike.

Different IP owners handle content ID matches differently. Some, like record labels, will place ads on the video and put links to where you can legitimately buy the song on Amazon, iTunes, etc. Others, like you mentioned, will actively try to take down the videos. Some prevent monetization but don't really do anything beyond that.

M3d10n

Have seen a few youtubers hit with this issue lately, particularly with lets plays of Luigi's Mansion. Turning the music down a bit so their voice was clearly louder seems to stop any issues with content matches occurring. Just putting up straight gameplay footage of a certain length without commentary probably should cause issues imo, but let's plays seem to be doing fine as always at the moment.

Content ID works by having the content owner upload videos and audio, which are then matched against other videos. Therefore, it can't detect gameplay since it'll never be the same as the matching samples for long enough.

However, it's very good at detecting music, so a long take of direct-feed audio with few sound effects will trigger a match quite easily. Some publishers also upload cutscene footage, which are much easier to match.

Thing is, due to the sheer amount of video content going case by case is not viable in this case: if content ID matches your video, say goodbay to your ad money. Either find a way to dodge content ID or get into an agreement with Nintendo or an Youtube affiliate (if any).

braves01

Banned
Is there really that much money in LPing anyways? I feel like most LPers do it primarily for attention or because they just like doing it, not because it's the best way to make money.

wsippel

Banned
And? There's a good chance Sony and Microsoft will disable monetization on videos uploaded directly from their systems.

Or do you think Nintendo is taking down videos?
"Good chance" is an understatement. But nobody will give a fuck when Sony and MS do it of course.

Dragon

Banned
I'm glad Nintendo is spending time doing this instead of releasing unique games for the WiiU. They really have their priorities straight!

Seems pretty legit to me...

I guess I don't follow the LP scene at all, but this doesn't seem so bad. I get that there is work involved in making an LP, but it isn't something it even occurred to me that people would be monetizing.

Interesting thread, and hopefully people can work something out, but I read Nintendo's statement at the beginning and though, "Huh, that makes sense."

beanman25

Hopefully I don't run into any issues, but regardless I'll just keep playing the Binding of Isaac. Fun game that is super different every video.

qko

Seems that the PS4 share button is exactly this. Upload your gameplay, advertise the game for PS4 with Sony not having to pay for advertising. Unless Sony says you will be able to monitize from the content, I'll continue believing that this is exactly what they intend to do.

Effect

Feel sorry for all the LPers who live on their videos. A few people I know mainly do videos on Nintendo games and make a good living off it, wonder how many of them are affected.

They just need to start putting up more content of their own in between their LPs. Videos that can't be tagged but benefit from being connected with the videos of gameplay.

Orayn

I'm glad Nintendo is spending time doing this instead of releasing unique games for the WiiU. They really have their priorities straight!

Yeah, they clearly pulled guys off of programming new Wii U games to handle this shit. They called up Miyamoto in the middle of the night and made him jog to the office in his pajamas to manaully press the "TAKE DOWN VIDEO AND RELEASE THE HOUNDS" button to oppress all those helpless YouTubers.

LiK

Is there really that much money in LPing anyways? I feel like most LPers do it primarily for attention or because they just like doing it, not because it's the best way to make money.

oh yes indeed. they earn quite a bit of money. i dunno specifics but several LPers i watch do it as a full time job.

In other words, Nintendo is making money off of your videos.

Well, your perfectly welcome to upload a video that is just your voice without anything involving Nintendo's work. Making money off of Let's Plays and longform none-review material always seemed weird to me. I mean more power to the people who are doing it but I would definitely prepare for the possibility you may not be able to monetize it forever.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I think this dirty and here's why: Nintendo is already getting great advertising from the videos alone. Now they want to monetize other peoples video work and block them for getting paid for their time. Yes they are Nintendo's games but this reeks of slime. Utter greed. They are looking to make money off not only the game but other peoples playthroughs of the game. I think that is almost like stealing.

People posting videos of games gets others to get interested and make purchases. I cannot fathom why any company would want to mess with that.

I hope this leads to fewer Nintendo videos and therefore less visibility for them.

KarmaCow

I've been watching a series of Minecraft videos with some people on a specific server and it seems like the majority of them make a living off their videos.

Most only get like <20k on average on their videos but they also put out 1-2 a day. I'm kinda surprised because last I heard, Google pays out something like $10 for a 1000 views but that was a while ago.

eternalb

I think this dirty and here's why: Nintendo is already getting great advertising from the videos alone. Now they want to monetize other peoples video work and block them for getting paid for their time. Yes they are Nintendo's games but this reeks of slime. Utter greed. They are looking to make money off not only the game but other peoples playthroughs of the game. I think that is almost like stealing.

People posting videos of games gets others to get interested and make purchases. I cannot fathom why any company would want to mess with that.

I hope this leads to fewer Nintendo videos and therefore less visibility for them.

This guy gets it.

Frolow

Banned
Me and my wife do as well. Just because I only have 50 subscribers doesn't mean that my hours of editing are any less important or likewise my opinion on the matter.

That said, I use the term "work" loosely even in reference to myself... Video editing is fun. Playing games is fun. Sharing my gameplay online and people posting comments is fun. The moment ANY of that became work, I'd be out of it.

I'm not saying people aren't putting effort into what they do in LPs, my point was simply that instead of bitching and complaining because a company doesn't want you making money off of their IP, you just go to a more charitable developer if it bothers you that much. As I've said before, I've had MUCH more problems with Capcom than Nintendo in content matching... and as a result... well... not much because again I don't care about my measely ad revenue ;) But if it DID I'd just stop playing Capcom games.

I agree with you now that you've expanded upon your points, didn't mean to misinterpret your original post. However, this does limit some people's options for projects.

Let's Plays are a grey area. Purchasing a game doesn't give you the right to upload hours of footage of it and then make money off of it, unless you can argue that your video adds to the work significantly. Simply commentating the video in a banal manner ("Now I do this, now I do that, that was cool") probably doesn't count.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

It depends on so many variables, but you can definitely make a fair amount of money for doing this. Not saying everyone does, most don't, but it is possible. You can make thousands a month if you're big, and the biggest probably make hundreds of thousands a month.

However, most channels don't make nearly that much.

Wonder how accurate socialblade is when it comes to the profitability of youtube channels.

Not very accurate at all.

bomblord

Banned
They just need to start putting up more content of their own in between their LPs. Videos that can't be tagged but benefit from being connected with the videos of gameplay.

They also have legal ways around this i'm not sure about specifics but I think they can set it up where Nintendo either gets a certain portion of their revenue or they allow Nintendo to set certain criteria that the videos have to meet in order to be monetized.

eternalb

Let's Plays are a grey area. Purchasing a game doesn't give you the right to upload hours of footage of it and then make money off of it, unless you can argue that your video adds to the work significantly.

It's not just LP'ers being affected by this. Anyone making any kind of video can be affected. DidYouKnowGaming's highly produced videos could be flagged, for example

I am fine with everything here. Perhaps come kinda shared monetization would a better outcome - but there is nothing wrong with what Nintendo want to do here.

A nice end result would be that it pus a cooldown on so many Let's Play getting uploaded - as there as too many untalented microphone chewing idiots making them these days

M3d10n

They also have legal ways around this i'm not sure about specifics but I think they can set it up where Nintendo either gets a certain portion of their revenue or they allow Nintendo to set certain criteria that the videos have to meet in order to be monetized.

That's basically what Machinima does. They have agreements with several publishers which would otherwise block monetizing or simply take down videos published by non-Machinima members.

It's not just LP'ers being affected by this. Anyone making any kind of video can be affected. DidYouKnowGaming's highly produced videos could be flagged, for example

If I film my cute toddler dancing to copyrighted music, guess who'll get the ad money?

Sandfox

It depends on so many variables, but you can definitely make a fair amount of money for doing this. Not saying everyone does, most don't, but it is possible. You can make thousands a month if you're big, and the biggest probably make hundreds of thousands a month.

If someone is making that much money they're probably getting paid by some sort of company like Machinima anyways. I would like to see how much people are getting(though its obviously different for everyone) but contracts get in the way of that lol.

So we should just ignore property rights because we like something?

Also, I don't think LPs are going to go away entirely because of this.

Why are we pretending that this actually harms Nintendo in any serious way? We arent talking about Piracy here.

There are literally a thousand other developers/publishers who are not only NOT going after people like these but actively encouraging them by sending them preview code, early copies etc. So overwhelming evidence would suggest that this doesnt really harm your IP or your business. Quite opposite infact.

This isnt so much about protecting their IPs but more about just trying to make every single cent they can off every place they can find.

I dont really watch a lot of Nintendo LPs but I do watch a ton of Dark Souls stuff online. Vviking, Santzo, NorthenLion etc and all of them make a living (or at least money off it) and I would pissed as hell at From Software if they ever tried to pull something like this. Thankfully, most companies arent scum like Nintendo.

Like the Lebowski quote, they arent wrong. They are just assholes.

kuppy

This could get pretty intresting for all those let's players that claim that they are only playing for the fun of it an to entertain the viewers.

beanman25

That's basically what Machinima does. They have agreements with several publishers which would otherwise block monetizing or simply take down videos published by non-Machinima members.

^That's who I'm with.

Luckily, MOST of my videos are indie titles. They are the most fun to play usually.

Meelow

Banned
And there was no big outrage on GAF as far as I remember. That's the point.

It doesn't seem like their is a huge outrage though, most of the people that are saying "Wow Nintendo" and stuff like that didn't read everything and are thinking Nintendo is trying to remove videos when they aren't.

Personally I thought it would be worse.

But knowing how so many companies do this, including Microsoft than people only attacking Nintendo when they aren't even doing it as bad as Sega or Microsoft would look bad.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

Flawless post.

Mxrz

I generally dislike Nintendo, but there isn't much to this. As long as they aren't doing like Sega does.

Can you blame them? They gotta make money off the WiiU somehow.

VariantX

I generally dislike Nintendo, but there isn't much to this. As long as they aren't doing like Sega does.

Yeah, only thing I read into it is that other people can't make money off of their IP's but they can still make videos like they always have.

Top Bottom