• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo going after Youtube Let's Play videos

M3d10n

I generally dislike Nintendo, but there isn't much to this. As long as they aren't doing like Sega does.

Sega was the worst: actively taking down videos from older entries in a franchise to "clean" the search results for their not-so-popular new entries. Ugh.

kirby_fox

Banned
If you're going to make a business out of making LP videos, why wouldn't you learn what your legal rights were?

For those people that haven't and will now be affected, I see no one at fault but themselves. If people are smart and make a lot of money from this as people claim they do, they will license the material from Nintendo as they should have in the first place.

Especially if this only affects videos 10 mins or longer.

Canon

Banned
Hopefully this will cut down on people who have no business making Let's Plays, like all the fucking top YouTube people who had no interest in gaming before but suddenly realized they could make money off it.

At the same time, I had plans on monetizing videos like this... so fuck. :(

Please correct me if I am wrong, but as copy-right holder aren't you under an obligation to actively enforce and protect your copyright materials? I'm sure I read that before.

NTom64

Thank fuck I'm partnered with Fullscreen. Doing a run of Ocarina 3D right now, and this is the last thing I need.

Orayn

Please correct me if I am wrong, but as copy-right holder aren't you under an obligation to actively enforce and protect your copyright materials? I'm sure I read that before.

Even if it is, it's not like anyone who doesn't have a stake in the material is going to make a fuss if the copyright holder doesn't give a shit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why are we pretending that this actually harms Nintendo in any serious way? We arent talking about Piracy here.

There are literally a thousand other developers/publishers who are not only NOT going after people like these but actively encouraging them by sending them preview code, early copies etc. So overwhelming evidence would suggest that this doesnt really harm your IP or your business. Quite opposite infact.

This isnt so much about protecting their IPs but more about just trying to make every single cent they can off every place they can find.

I dont really watch a lot of Nintendo LPs but I do watch a ton of Dark Souls stuff online. Vviking, Santzo, NorthenLion etc and all of them make a living (or at least money off it) and I would pissed as hell at From Software if they ever tried to pull something like this. Thankfully, most companies arent scum like Nintendo.

Like the Lebowski quote, they arent wrong. They are just assholes.

Regarding the bold... we're not. At least I'm not and I don't see anyone else pretending as such.

Why should "harm" be a factor here?

Also, I think you're going a little overboard with the "scum" stuff. Nintendo isn't doing anything out of the ordinary here. I wouldn't put it past any company to do exactly the same thing or take even harsher measures. In fact, Nintendo has even come out and said they won't be having videos removed, which is more than some companies can say.

DaBoss

As long as people have contacted Nintendo and have gotten their permission, they should be able to monetize their videos and use it as proof for YouTube.

And there was no big outrage on GAF as far as I remember. That's the point.

Well here's the thread, enjoy: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494947

You're somewhat right lol

Youtube has ads? e: I mean like ads during/before videos?

Disable that adblock you've got there. ;)

Kunan

Flawless post.
I don't think LPing is stealing, as there is a gray area due to the fact that you aren't physically playing the video, but I REALLY don't think Nintendo is stealing here.

Putting ads isn't the best, but this is their right as owners of the content (which is being presented in its entirety, albeit in a hands off manner).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Thank fuck I'm partnered with Fullscreen. Doing a run of Ocarina 3D right now, and this is the last thing I need.

Yup, some partner networks have deals with Nintendo, and Fullscreen is one of them, so you should have no issues.

>I shouldn't either as I'm partnered with Fullscreen as well, but I don't usually do Nintendo games.

Was considering doing an FEA LP/walkthrough. Guess not anymore.

Edit: oh this is just monetization, I do this shit for free. Then whatever.

eternalb

Except the stealing part, because a LP in effect is presenting you the entirety of the content for free. I don't think LPing is stealing, as there is a gray area due to the fact that you aren't physically playing the video, but I REALLY don't think Nintendo is stealing here.

Putting ads isn't the best, but this is their right as owners of the content.

The ads replace the ones the video creator was running, and funnels all the earnings to Nintendo. I don't know if that's "stealing" by definition, but it's not far off

Harlock

Other companies will o the same. Youtube dont play nice with the small guys. Even the avgn was banned or one day. Twitchtv is becoming the Microsoft girl. We need a new and independant streaming service.

Kunan

The ads replace the ones the video creator was running, and funnels all the earnings to Nintendo. I don't know if that's "stealing" by definition, but it's not far off
I'm arguing that presenting the entire game online, with financial gain involved, isn't far off either. Before I get hit by this, I believe neither party is stealing here. They do good work and I enjoy the videos. I do however find it extremely murky, legally, to profit off of a full playthrough of a game.

eternalb

I'm arguing that presenting the entire game online, with financial gain involved, isn't far off either. Before I get hit by this, I believe neither party is stealing here.

And not everyone does that. Youtube's ContentID doesn't care; any single gameplay video can be subjected to this.

M3d10n

Yup, some partner networks have deals with Nintendo, and Fullscreen is one of them, so you should have no issues.

>I shouldn't either as I'm partnered with Fullscreen as well, but I don't usually do Nintendo games.

Oh, so there is a completely legal way to monetize Nintendo videos while giving them a share by using their IP? Thread is done then.

A solution where both profit is the ideal middle ground.

Ideally, watching someone play a game with commentary should be a significantly different experience than playing the game yourself. In that case the LP should count as a unique work and the LPer should have full rights to it (including monetization).

I think cloning games (ala Zynga) is far worse since playing the clone is a very similar experience to playing the original. Yet the law seems to allow monetization of these clones.

Kunan

And not everyone does that. Youtube's ContentID doesn't care; any single gameplay video can be subjected to this.
Yes. YT's auto-detection sucks. That's a different problem. I was stating I agreed with most of the original post, except for the stealing. I find this really didn't need to be done, but they have the right to do it.

eternalb

Oh, so there is a completely legal way to monetize Nintendo videos while giving them a share by using their IP? Thread is done then.

According to some article I was reading, even Machinima has been getting copyright notices from Nintendo.

megalowho

I don't really have a problem with this so long as they're not trying to shut anyone's channels down. It's Nintendo's content and within their right.

M3d10n

I'm arguing that presenting the entire game online, with financial gain involved, isn't far off either. Before I get hit by this, I believe neither party is stealing here. They do good work and I enjoy the videos. I do however find it extremely murky, legally, to profit off of a full playthrough of a game.

A few posts ago it was confirmed Fullscreen has a deal with Nintendo, so you can keep your ads and pay only a share. This is the ideal solution since it's their IP and your work/time.

Nobody would watch the video if it weren't for the game being played and the video wouldn't be there if you didn't upload, so both deserve a share.

According to some article I was reading, even Machinima has been getting copyright notices from Nintendo.

If Fullscreen got into an agreement, Machinima should sort things out soon.

eternalb

I don't really have a problem with this so long as they're not trying to shut anyone's channels down. It's Nintendo's content and within their right.

And this is what's wrong with the US's stance on copyright. This is new content being created from existing content. No one's copying the game; you can't play a game through YouTube.

Plus, as far as I know, it's not even been shown that Let's Plays aren't a form of free-use.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is not new, nor is it just Nintendo.

Youtube tells you UP FRONT when you're trying to monetize your videos that you need the permission of the copyright holder.

Maybe pictures will help.

iSxUi2ZSo9HE0.PNG

ibnKQuDyp90gDg.PNG

From here and here respectively, linked from the account features page where you go to enable monetization.

bomblord

Banned
And this is what's wrong with the US's stance on copyright. This is new content being created from existing content. No one's copying the game; you can't play a game through YouTube.

Plus, as far as I know, it's not even been shown that Let's Plays aren't a form of free-use.

Fair use only applies if you are not making money off of the product.

-edit sorry misread.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

I think they have every right to do it, but find it extremely short sighted. Biting off your nose to spite your face.

Kunan

A few posts ago it was confirmed Fullscreen has a deal with Nintendo, so you can keep your ads and pay only a share. This is the ideal solution since it's their IP and your work/time.

Nobody would watch the video if it weren't for the game being played and the video wouldn't be there if you didn't upload, so both deserve a share.
Yup. I like this policy a lot. Only really had a problem with the LPer taking full finances. This sounds quite good.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

There's a reason Rifftrax only sells the audio tracks of their riffs, instead of selling you a "rifftrax version" of the movie. What do you think that reason is?

Meelow

Banned
This is not new, nor is it just Nintendo.

Youtube tells you UP FRONT when you're trying to monetize your videos that you need the permission of the copyright holder.

Maybe pictures will help.

iSxUi2ZSo9HE0.PNG

ibnKQuDyp90gDg.PNG

From here and here respectively, linked from the account features page where you go to enable monetization.

Question, so if Nintendo allows it will the people that upload the videos get money?

M3d10n

Imagine this: I paint an amazing poster with Zelda characters. I decide to sell copies of it on my website. It took time and effort to make the posters, but am I entitled to 100% of the money when the characters aren't mine?

Dantard

Neo Member
I think this dirty and here's why: Nintendo is already getting great advertising from the videos alone. Now they want to monetize other peoples video work and block them for getting paid for their time. Yes they are Nintendo's games but this reeks of slime. Utter greed. They are looking to make money off not only the game but other peoples playthroughs of the game. I think that is almost like stealing.

People posting videos of games gets others to get interested and make purchases. I cannot fathom why any company would want to mess with that.

I hope this leads to fewer Nintendo videos and therefore less visibility for them.

This. Most people aren't thinking this through. Are most of you watching people on youtube just to watch the game or are you watching to see *that specific youtuber* play the game? If it was the first case, you'd just watch a gameplay video with no commentary. Commentary is work, commentary is content. Entertaining people is not worth money? C'mon. Haven't you ever watched a TERRIBLE game being played due to the comedy of the youtuber's commentary over it? Is the game publisher/developer really the one that should be making money here?

An example of a big LP channel are the Game Grumps (whose GAF thread frequently pops up), they (like many others) live largely off of youtube money and think about how many Nintendo games they played (DK, Mario, Kirby etc.). They won't be able to monetize it now, so they won't play it anymore, since, though they have fun, that's also their work and they won't work for free.

Saying that (good, entertaining, funny, insightful) LP commentary is worthless is akin to saying comedy (many jokes about other people's works, movies, songs, commercials etc.) is worthless.

Top Bottom