• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo going after Youtube Let's Play videos

Anteo

I'm not saying Nintendo is in the wrong, but this seems so mind-bogglingly out of touch. Yet somehow completely in-line with the series of decisions that has lead them to their current circumstances.

I wonder if Google will woo any other publishers to this dance.

That reads like Nintendo is the first of the big 3 to do this.

Oersted

I'm not saying Nintendo is in the wrong, but this seems so mind-bogglingly out of touch. Yet somehow completely in-line with the series of decisions that has lead them to their current circumstances.

I wonder if Google will woo any other publishers to this dance.

Nintendo are being cunts. No other thing to say, really. Its a dick move and shows how out of touch with reality Nintendo is.

Don´t worry, others are doing this way longer than Nintendo. You just didn´t care about these cases, that is all.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Your avatar doesn´t corrospondend well with your knowledge of the law. Not at all.

Having a right to do something and taking action to pursue that right being a good decision are different things.

An extreme, very extreme example is that guy who shot a drunk teen because it got into his garage thinking it was his house.

He was within his right to shoot an intruder, but taking action to pursue that right was clearly a bad decision.

Nintendo probably has legal standing to do this (im not a lawyer, so...), but is it a good decision? Because Youtube's match system is well, faulty, LP's from people who have agreements with Nintendo is being affected. Fair use like reviews and news are being affected. And because the way Youtube deals with accounts and account marks, it is very risky to get flagged. So as a result Youtube content featuring Nintendo products will dwindle.

Some of you people are way too hellbent on defending whatever these corporations do, no matter what.

I don't think anybody really answered my question before, but if anybody has info on this, it'd be helpful.

Do Nintendo-based Let's Play videos have a lot more views or subscribers than most? Is that why this is a big deal now all of a sudden? Does anybody have stats on that kind of thing? I don't really watch LP videos very much.

The reason I ask is because Microsoft did this a while back and the discussion/fallout from it was practically nothing. we had a paltry 2 page thread. But this has exploded into a several-day, multi-thread, approaching 16 page thread, with stuff all over the place and everyone is going on about it.

What is different now? I'm honestly curious.

one_kill

I don't think anybody really answered my question before, but if anybody has info on this, it'd be helpful.

Do Nintendo-based Let's Play videos have a lot more views or subscribers than most? Is that why this is a big deal now all of a sudden? Does anybody have stats on that kind of thing? I don't really watch LP videos very much.

The reason I ask is because Microsoft did this a while back and the discussion/fallout from it was practically nothing. we had a paltry 2 page thread. But this has exploded into a several-day, multi-thread, approaching 16 page thread, with stuff all over the place and everyone is going on about it.

It's Nintendo so everyone has something to say

jtm33

Neo Member

Let's Play videos (and gameplay videos in general) have been increasing in popularity over the past few years at a very high rate. What you are seeing here is a major game company taking a stance on the validity of people making these videos to make money. Why are they doing it now? Why not earlier or later? I don't think there is any particular reason. These companies are very large and move slowly. Let's Plays are more popular than ever, it doesn't surprise me that Nintendo is taking a stance on it.

Why is this getting a harsh response now? Consider it to be a combination of gameplay videos being more popular than ever before, Nintendo's decision-making being criticised with the poor Wii U performance, and general animosity towards large game publishers at the moment.

I do think it is unfair these companies are acting as if they are the good guys here though. They are dealing with legally untested ground here and just assuming they have the right to do this. I think the sooner these guys are taken to court over this the better it will be for everyone involved.

Velcro Fly

Not sure there is an entity out there with the resources to fight Nintendo in court about it. Honestly feel like they SHOULD set something up to appease both sides but knowing the giant corporation they probably won't.

yuzu

Neo Member
I like LP videos and I'm totally okay with this.
LP videos I watch are not with ads and it means those LPers are making videos not for the money.
They truly love games and just want to share their enjoyment with the viewers.
This is why I like to watch their videos.
I'm really glad that GAF has common sense and really disappointed at redditers.
They should be thankful about that Nintendo didn't pull all the LP videos off from youtube.

KKRT00

I like LP videos and I'm totally okay with this.
LP videos I watch are not with ads and it means those LPers are making videos not for the money.
They truly love games and just want to share their enjoyment with the viewers.
This is why I like to watch their videos.
I'm really glad that GAF has common sense and really disappointed at redditers.
They should be thankful about that Nintendo didn't pull all the LP videos off from youtube.
Yeah, thank Nintendo for being the only company in gaming industry that takes revenue for something they havent produced.

Total Biscuit was completely right in his video, they have legal right to do that, but its not a solution and it will hurt more than it will help in the long run, especially when other publishers will follow Nintendo.

Septimius

I was hoping Nintendo had merely prevented the makers of the video from monetizing on it. It's a good argument that Nintendo are monetizing on something they didn't produce. But then, they did produce the game. Aren't Let's Plays already in a grey, if not black area of the law? Nintendo owns everything in the video except the control input and the commentary. Seems unfair in the first place for someone to monetize off of throwing that ontop of someone else's IP.

It doesn't mean to say what Nintendo did was cool. The way they said they wanted to ensure content was shared properly was what made me absolutely sure what Nintendo was doing was removing all possibilities of advertisements. Saying they want it to be shared "but now we'll take the money" just doesn't help the matter at hand in any way.

braves01

Banned
Yeah, thank Nintendo for being the only company in gaming industry that takes revenue for something they havent produced.

Total Biscuit was completely right in his video, they have legal right to do that, but its not a solution and it will hurt more than it will help in the long run, especially when other publishers will follow Nintendo.

Consider that money the fee for using Nintendo's property to get views on your video. If you don't like it, take your video down and release the audio separately. It's better than just having videos just pulled entirely and fans making the videos for fun are totally unaffected.

yuzu

Neo Member

LPers are the one who have been taking revenue for something they haven't produced.
We viewers don't have to worry about videos getting removed anymore. Why not happy about it?
If LPers want money, just ask their viewers for it.
I've seen lots of LPers who gets consoles and games from their fans.

dsvoid

Neo Member
I never got the appeal of Let's Plays or LPers, since they don't contribute too much to the game itself. I am not sure how they got so popular, and I don't think they really should earn anything for sitting around and playing games while making bad jokes. On the other hand, Nintendo getting ad revenue for what is essentially free advertising is not right.

Biker19

Banned
Let's Play videos (and gameplay videos in general) have been increasing in popularity over the past few years at a very high rate. What you are seeing here is a major game company taking a stance on the validity of people making these videos to make money. Why are they doing it now? Why not earlier or later? I don't think there is any particular reason. These companies are very large and move slowly. Let's Plays are more popular than ever, it doesn't surprise me that Nintendo is taking a stance on it.

Why is this getting a harsh response now? Consider it to be a combination of gameplay videos being more popular than ever before, Nintendo's decision-making being criticised with the poor Wii U performance, and general animosity towards large game publishers at the moment.

I do think it is unfair these companies are acting as if they are the good guys here though. They are dealing with legally untested ground here and just assuming they have the right to do this. I think the sooner these guys are taken to court over this the better it will be for everyone involved.

These. If companies like Nintendo were to start taking down Let's Plays & walkthroughs as a whole, they'll have hordes of angry video game fans at them to the point in which they'll just boycott their products, which wouldn't be good for the industry as a whole. Especially from the fighting game community in which they usually record fighting games for tournament plays.

I can understand if companies like Nintendo have a problem with those that are making money from the videos, in which they do have a case about it, but trying to limit our fun in which we can watch certain games in which whatever they're good or bad may be crossing the line. LP's shouldn't be illegal or anything of the sort, anyways.

I wouldn't say that Nintendo doing this indicates anything from other publishers at large - especially when you have other alternatives such as Sony who appear to be encouraging it (with their 15 minute video sharing feature in the PS4), it's probably just a case of Nintendo showing a considerable lack of foresight - much like they've been performing the past few years.

KKRT00

Consider that money the fee for using Nintendo's property to get views on your video. If you don't like it, take your video down and release the audio separately. It's better than just having videos just pulled entirely and fans making the videos for fun are totally unaffected.
Its not about LPs alone, its about all Nintendo content on Youtube and this will end up not only about Nintendo, but many different companies too. Its just first wave of such regulations.

Watch those that dont put ads on their videos if are really against it.
You had a choice before, if You wanted support people by watching ads You could, if not, You could just choose channel without ads.
Now You dont have any choice and quality of LPs or other videos will decrease, how can people not see that?

====
LPers are the one who have been taking revenue for something they haven't produced.
We viewers don't have to worry about videos getting removed anymore. Why not happy about it?
I've seen lots of LPers who gets consoles and games from their fans.

So are You saying that those LPs or videos produced themselves? Are You saying that popular LPs/videos are the same quality as unpopular ones?
And yeah, sending moneys and gifts to Youtubers is more convenient and better solution than not skipping ads on videos ...

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I am shocked Nintendo made a dumb business decision.

Shocked.

These videos cost Nintendo nothing. They have the lamest legal right to do this, supporting this is supporting the end of LPs featuring Nintendo games, end of story.

NateDrake

I am shocked Nintendo made a dumb business decision.

Shocked.

These videos cost Nintendo nothing. They have the lamest legal right to do this, supporting this is supporting the end of LPs featuring Nintendo games, end of story.

Microsoft does this also. Why is it only an outrage when Nintendo does it?

Effect

Microsoft does this also. Why is it only an outrage when Nintendo does it?

They're Nintendo that's why. It's always like this. Sony and Microsoft do something and no one says anything or it seems like they don't. Nintendo does the same thing (either first or later) and people lose their minds and suddenly they don't know what they're doing, being really stupid, are pissing on the fans or will have to deal with a backlash. *shakes head* This is the double standard people talk about when they say there is a bias against Nintendo.

What annoys me the most about this is people like TotalBiscuit and several others putting videos up complaining. Trying to voice an opinion (bring more attention to themselves) on this when they do nothing Nintendo related to begin with unless it's to talk joke about something Nintendo related in a negative light. Yet they want to speak for all the Nintendo fans Nintendo is "slapping across the face" and suddenly in a very BS way I feel announce their love for Nintendo games as to why they're disappointed by this decision and why they think it's wrong. Such a bunch of crap. When they've not express this before and couldn't be bothered at all to talk about anything Nintendo related in the past.

Monocle

I think you'd have to be completely inept to attack free and (in my experience) effective marketing created by fans. Who makes these stupid decisions? Of all the lame business practices I've witnessed in the game industry, this one offends me the most.

Just the other month, a guy who gets a paltry handful of views for his outstanding action game videos had to take down most of his Bayonetta runs because Sega filed copyright claims against them. I don't think there's a civilized way to express how much that disgusts me.

Yep. As a matter of fact, Nintendo is now monetizing previously un-monetized videos so there's even more ads now.

This is true. Someone I know contacted me over this as they didn't know what was going on with their videos being Content IDed even though they make no money on their videos.

I that said although Nintendo are now making money of their videos now it doesn't affect them as Nintendo will not be taking their videos down. So I told them that they should carry on making videos as if nothing happened.

But why whould some use adss if they cannot get any money from it? Helping Nintendo? Meh..

Youtube's Content ID system will place ads on any video that it deems to be to do with Nintendo. From that all proceeds go to Nintendo. These ads are not put in by the video creator at all.

Um, yes they are. The ads are still there. The only thing that changes is that the ad revenue goes to Nintendo now, not the user.

But why whould some use adss if they cannot get any money from it? Helping Nintendo? Meh. .. Did I understant right? So Nintendo can add those ads any Nintendo video.. if they only want.

Splint

Sucks that talented game players cant make money because there is hardly any tournaments unless you play the 2-3 big games but these average guys who make videos all day are the ones making money playing games. I hope all publishers do this just for the justice!

But why whould some use adss if they cannot get any money from it? Helping Nintendo? Meh. .. Did I understant right? So Nintendo can add those ads any Nintendo video.. if they only want.

When your material gets marked as copyrighted, it automatically has ads placed on it. The user has no choice.

KKRT00

Haha! What?

What other company or publisher does that at the moment? Yeah there was history with Sega and with Halo 4, but who more? No one and it should stay this way.

===

They're Nintendo that's why. It's always like this. Sony and Microsoft do something and no one says anything or it seems like they don't. Nintendo does the same thing (either first or later) and people lose their minds and suddenly they don't know what they're doing, being really stupid, are pissing on the fans or will have to deal with a backlash. *shakes head* This is the double standard people talk about when they say there is a bias against Nintendo.

What annoys me the most about this is people like TotalBiscuit and several others putting videos up complaining. Trying to voice an opinion (bring more attention to themselves) on this when they do nothing Nintendo related to begin with unless it's to talk joke about something Nintendo related in a negative light. Yet they want to speak for all the Nintendo fans Nintendo is "slapping across the face" and suddenly in a very BS way I feel announce their love for Nintendo games as to why they're disappointed by this decision and why they think it's wrong. Such a bunch of crap. When they've not express this before and couldn't be bothered at all to talk about anything Nintendo related in the past.
Yeah, because if that was Microsoft, Sony, Valve or EA no one would complain?
Yes, they would and they are complaining now to prevent other companies to follow.

How hard is that to get? Do people think its only about some LPs? No, its about all future game content on Youtube.

Velcro Fly

I think that Nintendo casts a wider net than say Microsoft on this because there are a ton of channels dedicated to Nintendo LPs or even just Nintendo news, gameplay footage, or reviews. Not just talking about the small timer that still does it for fun. Talking about the 250k+ subscriber doing this as a full time job LPer. That may have something to do with why this is a bigger deal than say Microsoft cracking down on Halo videos or Sony cracking down on Heavy Rain videos right after the game is released.

And yes this is impacting news channels, channels that post reviews for games, channels that have media credentials and are invited by Nintendo to media events and stuff like that. I really doubt Andre from GameXplain works as hard as he does and has a good working relationship with Nintendo in order for them to get all the ad revenue from the videos he puts out. That is a bunch of bull plain and simple. Same goes for any other channel getting sent review copies of games and gets invited to media events and now has to deal with Nintendo literally stealing their ad revenue.

But they are producing the videos. In some cases, they put in a lot of work producing a video series. Not all people doing lets plays are being targeted, either. Nintendo is targeting any video with their content in it. This actually includes a few official reviews that Nintendo sent copes of their game to have reviewed O_O

I'd say Nintendo are kinda delusional here. Some people who do LPs (as much as I hate them) are driving a lot of attention to these games that might not otherwise get it. That goes for videos like TotalBiscuit's first impressions videos (even though he only does PC so it doesnt apply to Nintendo), or AngryJoe reviews (that get upwards of a million views sometimes). People who see these videos might be inclined to go and buy a Nintendo game. That's free advertising for Nintendo right there. If people stopped producing videos, Nintendo loses that free advertising. So taking away ad money basically means these people will stop producing videos. All the while ticking off loyal fans who might stop buying Nintendo games because of this move.

Why in God's name would you do that? Just let people keep on doing what they're doing. It's best for EVERYONE.

But they are producing the videos. In some cases, they put in a lot of work producing a video series. Not all people doing lets plays are being targeted, either. Nintendo is targeting any video with their content in it. This actually includes a few official reviews that Nintendo sent copes of their game to have reviewed O_O

I'd say Nintendo are kinda delusional here. Some people who do LPs (as much as I hate them) are driving a lot of attention to these games that might not otherwise get it. That goes for videos like TotalBiscuit's first impressions videos (even though he only does PC so it doesnt apply to Nintendo), or AngryJoe reviews (that get upwards of a million views sometimes). People who see these videos might be inclined to go and buy a Nintendo game. That's free advertising for Nintendo right there. If people stopped producing videos, Nintendo loses that free advertising. So taking away ad money basically means these people will stop producing videos. All the while ticking off loyal fans who might stop buying Nintendo games because of this move.

Why in God's name would you do that? Just let people keep on doing what they're doing. It's best for EVERYONE.

So because someone takes it upon themselves to edit a video, they automatically deserve compensation? Ok.

Entitlement.

Effect

I think that Nintendo casts a wider net than say Microsoft on this because there are a ton of channels dedicated to Nintendo LPs or even just Nintendo news, gameplay footage, or reviews. Not just talking about the small timer that still does it for fun. Talking about the 250k+ subscriber doing this as a full time job LPer. That may have something to do with why this is a bigger deal than say Microsoft cracking down on Halo videos or Sony cracking down on Heavy Rain videos right after the game is released.

And yes this is impacting news channels, channels that post reviews for games, channels that have media credentials and are invited by Nintendo to media events and stuff like that. I really doubt Andre from GameXplain works as hard as he does and has a good working relationship with Nintendo in order for them to get all the ad revenue from the videos he puts out. That is a bunch of bull plain and simple. Same goes for any other channel getting sent review copies of games and gets invited to media events and now has to deal with Nintendo literally stealing their ad revenue.

Anyone care to list a few of these Nintendo LPers with big subscriber numbers that put out content often?

As for outlets like GameXplain are they bothering to talk to Nintendo in order to get a whitelist created or just complaining about it? Doesn't GameXplain have a website it gets ad revenue from or are they completely youtube based?

What other company or publisher does that at the moment? Yeah there was history with Sega and with Halo 4, but who more? No one and it should stay this way.

===

Yeah, because if that was Microsoft, Sony, Valve or EA no one would complain?
Yes, they would and they are complaining now to prevent other companies to follow.

How hard is that to get? Do people think its only about some LPs? No, its about all future game content on Youtube.

Capcom... I've been hit many times over the last few years on Capcom videos... Mainly Mega Man.

Been hit a couple times by Namco-Bandai for Gundam games as well.

This whole thing isn't new, it's just Nintendo is getting the heavy focus because... well... actually I'm not even completely sure why... but it is.

(edit) Proof of fairly recently Capcom content matching me.

K2WmoDk.png

As I've said before... this doesn't bother me. The solution is either to shrug your shoulders and keep playing/uploading regardless, OR simply removing the videos and playing something else. It's not a matter of life and death, and in the end THEY own the rights so they get to make the calls... bad publicity or no.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Not sure if they deserve the compensation, but Nintendo sure as hell doesn't.

ok, I didn't really want to jump back into this... but...

umm... public display/broadcast of Nintendo's IP... IF there is any revenue to be generated.. Nintendo is ABSOLUTELY entitled to a portion of that. It is THEIR DAMN IP. This is as cut and dried as the entire concept of intellectual property rights going back 100+ years.

I think the only contentious part here is that there are only two options in revenue split. 100% to the user or 100% to the IP holder.

but yeah... if the user is seeing ad revenue from his stream, nintendo (or whoever actually matches content) is absolutely entitled to a portion of that revenue. Doesn't matter if it's an LP or if it's a montage to a particular music track.

Of course the thing not being talked about here... is that the LPer's are within full right to approach Nintendo about a license to do LPs and get the ad revenue.. yet none of the people supporting the LPers getting full ad revenue in here talk about that. It seems those people think it's totally fine for someone to use someone else's intellectual property, profit from it, and not have to give any sort of compensation back to the IP holder except for "free advertising"... lol... The IP holder should feel privileged and honored that the user is even USING their material!!!

sigh

Top Bottom