• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

Tom_Cody

It's the beginning of the end imo and it clearly wasn't Iwata's decision

CAToV3WUQAADu-l.png
Eh, I think this is getting thrown around a little too much.

There are clear downsides to going mobile, and Iwata addressed this in his statement:

Iwata said:
Quite a few of you must be wondering why Nintendo, which has never deviated from its cautious stance in regard to the possibility of deploying its game business on smart devices, has now changed its policy.
Please note, however, that I was not dismissing the idea of making games for smart devices per se as I stated at the January 2014 Corporate Management Policy Briefing that a development team of Nintendo would create a smart device application, and please also note that I had not ruled out the possibility of making games when we make use of these devices.

On the other hand, I really had to thoroughly consider how we would be able to grow the business by maintaining and nurturing the value of Nintendo IP and what conditions would make that happen, because the value of content can easily be deflated in the digital world and, especially on smart devices, it is not easy to maintain content value since the lifespan tends to be very short as much content is released and then replaced so quickly. We are making these announcements today because we now have Nintendo’s answer to these questions.

Just looking at the fact that several applications that earn great profits are highly visible in the smart device game business, people in general appear to see it as an easy money market. The fact is, however, it is a highly competitive market and only a handful of content providers have been able to show enduring results. If Nintendo cannot make it to that handful of winners, it does not make sense for us to be engaged in the software business on smart devices.

Accordingly, we had been thinking that if we ever decided to do it, we would have to put ourselves in the best position to prosper. For many years, Nintendo has shown results as a company which produces products that satisfy consumers with their high quality at the time of the purchase. For the content on smart devices, on the other hand, to be appreciated by consumers, they must provide ever-evolving services in addition to being high-quality products.
IMO he was/is totally correct in being hesitant to get into this market but, now that they have a coherent pathway to success, it is understandable why they are stepping forward.

Dumping their legacy content onto the app stores = bad. Developing long-term gaming platforms (such as Hearthstone) suited to touchscreens = good.

Game Guru

If it's just f2p-dreck like Pokémon Shuffle, I don't care anyway, but the moment I see Mario jumping through his worlds, I'm furious if I can't get it on a dedicated game system. They said they themselves are going to develop phone games internally, so I'd expect more than simple f2p-cashgrabs.

BTW: If Windows Apps is a goal platform and Microsoft opens up Windows Apps on Xbox One, might we be able to play some Nintendo games on Xbox One? That would actually be kind of crazy...

You assume Nintendo isn't just going to focus its mobile efforts on iOS and Android. Microsoft had to buy Minecraft to get it onto the Windows App Store. No one cares about the Windows Store.

Although the idea that, in a roundabout way, Nintendo would be a third-party to the Xbox One would be amusing as all hell.

I can see some mini Game and Watch style games being released. I used to have Super Mario Bros. 3 watch back in the day. It had two buttons, I think. Also, I would think that there would be a bit of a concerted effort from Nintendo or some third parties to make a decent Bluetooth controller. Hopefully Nintendo stepping into the game will inspire someone.

RedFyn

WHO'S DENA
DeNA (pronounced DNA) is a publisher and owner of mobage, a portal and social network for games. Mobage is the key thing here as i believe it showcases what Nintendo has in mind and how they want their service to work. I'm not a fan of mobage, I think it's a poorly implemented service that doesn't do much right however it has potential and could be great. I think Nintendo plans on having DeNA create a mobage 2.0 with which they'll supply games and integrate with miiverse.

DeNA (pronounced DNA) is a publisher and owner of mobage, a portal and social network for games. Mobage is the key thing here as i believe it showcases what Nintendo has in mind and how they want their service to work. I'm not a fan of mobage, I think it's a poorly implemented service that doesn't do much right however it has potential and could be great. I think Nintendo plans on having DeNA create a mobage 2.0 with which they'll supply games and integrate with miiverse.
That poster's comment was a Walking Dead meme reference BTW :p

Burai

shitonmychest57
It's the beginning of the end imo and it clearly wasn't Iwata's decision

CAToV3WUQAADu-l.png

Two years is a long time though. That time has seen 3DS and Wii U continue to underperform in spite of having Nintendo's biggest franchises release for them in critically acclaimed game after critically acclaimed game.

Nintendo are spending more money than ever on game development and less people than ever are buying them. That's not sustainable long-term. Something had to happen and this is it.

Here's a question. How likely/interesting is the idea of maybe DeNA creating a brand-new IP together with Nintendo that starts on mobile but maybe grows to become a new Nintendo franchise on Wii U/3DS and beyond?

Do they have a "mascot" as it were for any known creative history? Or do they just make games based on other existing IP?

Just wondering as I would love to see another direction where DeNA can also help on the console front outside of the account/membership system.

Nintendo does own 10% of DeNA and if none of those came from the founder then they'd be the second highest shareholder, and would be the highest if the founder sold at least about 4% out of his 13.1(?)%.

Colombo

I wonder if Nintendo intends to purchase DeNa outright eventually? Mobile looks like it's just another "pillar" in their future plans!

Guevara

Simple iOS game Mr. Jump downloaded 5M times in 4 days:

920x920.jpg

There are pop-over ads in the game, which appear pretty infrequently, but you can also pay $1.99 to get rid of them forever. You can also pay $0.99 to unlock the next level, or simply beat it the old-fashioned way of navigating each level’s hazards to unlock a new one. 12 levels are currently included, with more to come, according to the developers.​

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/23/mr-jump/?ncid=rss

Made me think of Nintendo: Mr Jump -> Jumpman, etc.

Simple iOS game Mr. Jump downloaded 5M times in 4 days:

920x920.jpg

There are pop-over ads in the game, which appear pretty infrequently, but you can also pay $1.99 to get rid of them forever. You can also pay $0.99 to unlock the next level, or simply beat it the old-fashioned way of navigating each level’s hazards to unlock a new one. 12 levels are currently included, with more to come, according to the developers.​

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/23/mr-jump/?ncid=rss

Made me think of Nintendo: Mr Jump -> Jumpman, etc.
Fun game. 1Button makes some of the best minimalist puzzle games on mobile.

At the very least, I think we'll see some of the puzzle games (like Dr. Mario and Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon/Puzzle League) get mobile installments. Unlike games of other genres, those could very easily work with touch only controls, they're well-suited for mobile, and won't really cut into their console/handheld revenue.

Pizza

I'm super pumped for this announcement. The new Nintendo game plan is taking the Apple approach, which likely means that the mobile games will still be on consoles, which means that said consoles will require touch screens, which means the gamepad isn't going anywhere, hopefully :3

Top Bottom