• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

So basically, those who prefer physical copies are fucked? Well, that sucks...
Yes because not having to make physical media saves money.
You sacrifice it to get $10 - $20 games.
As such, many games on NX will probably be cross-buy on Nintendo platforms, but still digital.
Right now games like Shantae and Dillon are probably what is to be expected.

It's the beginning of the end imo and it clearly wasn't Iwata's decision

CAToV3WUQAADu-l.png

If they want to launch a big mobile game this fall, it will for sure be at E3.
Oh yeah, we are definitely getting more clarity about NX and mobile games at E3.
I feel the 3DS E3 offering is going to suck though because of that. Nintendo tends to drop the ball at the end of a system's life cycle.

Kurt

I like to see a touch based mario spinoff game where you can break blocks and enemies, collecting counts etc... by touching.
I mean in the end we have also kirby drawing game.

But i hate game were someone runs and you have to touch it to jump or so....

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh yeah, we are definitely getting more clarity about NX and mobile games at E3.
I feel the 3DS E3 offering is going to suck though because of that. Nintendo tends to drop the ball at the end of a system's life cycle.

I wouldn't expect anything NX related at this E3. Iwata said he hopes to provide more info next year. So E3 2016.

Edit: but yeah, the new games shown (or lack of) could hint at what would be replaced first.

Apt101

This is great news, glad Nintendo is pairing with an established mobile developer.

Nintendo getting into mobile, hinting at their next platform a year in advance. I'm all a flutter. Oh I say /southern belle

Nicktendo86

And really, Nintendo has been making what would be successful mobile games for a long time now anyway. Mario vs Donkey Kong, Pushmo, Pokemon Shuffle, the entire Touch Generation line, and on and on.

This is a great point and one I meant to make yesterday, they have released a ton of games at full or near full price that would be perfect for mobile. Steel Diver is another one, it feels almost like they have been tipping their toes into the waters. They have also said for a long time they want to make smaller, experimental games, perhaps they would be more economically viable on mobile?

I am seeing this as a big opportunity to complement their traditional business, if they play it right.

I like to see a touch based mario spinoff game where you can break blocks and enemies, collecting counts etc... by touching.
I mean in the end we have also kirby drawing game.
Now is the perfect time to revive Kirby Tilt N' Tumble 2 Nintendo. Do it!

Wasn't it part of the announcement for Just Dance 2014-whatever the number they are at now?
Yeah, but I would imagine the greater the prominence mobile grows and the more traditional publishers dip their toes in the segment, the more we'll see such at big trade shows.

So I don't really see why Nintendo couldn't announce some of its mobile products there.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yeah, but I would imagine the greater the prominence mobile grows and the more traditional publishers dip their toes in the segment, the more we'll see such at big trade shows.

So I don't really see why Nintendo couldn't announce some of its mobile products there.

True. I just don't want it to take TOO much focus.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I would be surprised if any of these apps wasn't f2p, at which point your data can just transfer through the back end.

You'd be surprised if they made non-f2p-games? Why that?

Have they said anything about whether their phone games will also be released for Nintendo platforms? I really don't want to not be able to play a new Mario / Zelda / Yoshi etc. game... And no, a phone is not an option for me.

BTW: I would be actually fine with them offering a free Mario Maker variant for phones where you can design, but not play levels. This is basically a great promotion for their systems, rather than just putting their big names in playable form on phones for every casual player not to buy a Nintendo system anymore...

A friend of mine is currently addicted to a Spider Man endless runner for whatever reason.

Does this mean Spider Man is now dead?
Family Guy is dead because of the mobile game, oh wait ... nope, still making buckets of money.
I wonder how many people thought Zelda was dead because of Link's Crossbow Training or CD-I games or Mario because of the educational games license?

Yoshi

Family Guy is dead because of the mobile game, oh wait ... nope, still making buckets of money.
I wonder how many people thought Zelda was dead because of Link's Crossbow Training or CD-I games?

Link's Crossbow Training is not shit.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
E3 isn't really the place for mobile games. Nobody really announces that there.

You really think that if Nintendo keeps the format from last year they will miss the opportunity to present their first (big) mobile game in the Treehouse segment? And their E3 main presentation is practically the biggest Nintendo Direct of the year, which is also suited for such an announcement. Of course DeNA will probably be present with the Nintendo games at the relevant mobile expos, but it would be dumb to miss E3 coverage.

I mean, we talk here about Nintendo, one of the most anticipated 3 conferences/streams at E3, not a specialized mobile developer.

LayLa

TGS is the place to show mobile games. Last year 40% of games at TGS were for mobile, up from 24% the previous year, should be over half this year. Fits in well with the Fall timeline they are going for too.

TGS is the place to show mobile games. Last year 40% of games at TGS were for mobile, up from 24% the previous year, should be over half this year. Fits in well with the Fall timeline they are going for too.
TGS and PAX were full of them.
E3 I think is for companies with many investors. Mobile companies don't generally rely on investors.
Nintendo is the exception here and Ubisoft did show off their mobile game at E3.

There's something to be said for having the guy who was against an idea be the one to implement it in good faith.
The way I see it he finally realized it was more important for Nintendo to survive than kill it by ignoring a huge potential market.
Something that a CEO should do.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yes because not having to make physical media saves money.
You sacrifice it to get $10 - $20 games.
As such, many games on NX will probably be cross-buy on Nintendo platforms, but still digital.
Right now games like Shantae and Dillon are probably what is to be expected.

I'll spend more to get a physical copy. Hopefully the more premier properties will still get CEs and stuff.

I'll spend more to get a physical copy. Hopefully the more premier properties will still get CEs and stuff.
There is a chance because Ducktales got a physical release despite it being a digital game and Mario vs. DK got a physical release in Japan.
If NX is mostly digital, there is still chances that the Mario and Zelda games get a physical release.

Orayn

You'd be surprised if they made non-f2p-games? Why that?

Have they said anything about whether their phone games will also be released for Nintendo platforms? I really don't want to not be able to play a new Mario / Zelda / Yoshi etc. game... And no, a phone is not an option for me.

BTW: I would be actually fine with them offering a free Mario Maker variant for phones where you can design, but not play levels. This is basically a great promotion for their systems, rather than just putting their big names in playable form on phones for every casual player not to buy a Nintendo system anymore...

These are basically just a licensing opportunity that makes money in perpetuity through in-app purchases. Some of them could be released on "main" Nintendo platforms, but I'd expect them to remain either very cheap or F2P through that transition. Think along the lines of Pokemon Shuffle, maybe Rusty's Real Deal Baseball if we're lucky.

Yoshi

These are basically just a licensing opportunity that makes money in perpetuity through in-app purchases. Some of them could be released on "main" Nintendo platforms, but I'd expect them to remain either very cheap or F2P through that transition. Think along the lines of Pokemon Shuffle, maybe Rusty's Real Deal Baseball if we're lucky.

If it's just f2p-dreck like Pokémon Shuffle, I don't care anyway, but the moment I see Mario jumping through his worlds, I'm furious if I can't get it on a dedicated game system. They said they themselves are going to develop phone games internally, so I'd expect more than simple f2p-cashgrabs.

BTW: If Windows Apps is a goal platform and Microsoft opens up Windows Apps on Xbox One, might we be able to play some Nintendo games on Xbox One? That would actually be kind of crazy...

geordiemp

A friend of mine is currently addicted to a Spider Man endless runner for whatever reason.

Does this mean Spider Man is now dead?

No, but it could mean that a spider man endless runner is not going to entice Tommy to go buy a new piece of hardware to play Spiderman 5 the game.

If Nintendo hope that someone who is not a Nintendo fan will play a Mobile game and then buy a WiiU, the mobile game would have to have similar gameplay qualities to inspire the jump.

Just having well known characters (to Nintendo fans) will not make much difference. If mobile games are not good and just cheap cash ins it will be negative for Nintendo image with Casuals.

If Ninendo just chuck out endless runners and puzzle / connect games they will get lost in the noise of the casual market, the only people that will notice them will be Nintendo fans themselves.

sonto340

Link's Crossbow Training is not shit.
And I am willing to wager anything Nintendo makes for mobile will not be shit.
I have faith that the one thing Nintendo has been good at through all the good and bad times, make quality games, will not be changing any time soon.

DarkTom

There are some DS game which could be ported, like Kirby Canvas Curse or Yoshi Touch & Go.
RPG would be ok control-wise too. Golden Sun, Earthbound, maybe Fire Emblem. I could be interested by a mobile Fire Emblem game, but Blackberry would probably not get the game...

I know they said they would do original games only, but you know they also said they would not make mobile games, so...
I think Kawashima, Eye Training, etc and Nintendogs games will arrive, their audience is on mobile now.
A free 2 play Nintendog with app-in purchase for new types of dogs/cats/yoshis could become a real cash machine.

daxgame

It's the beginning of the end imo and it clearly wasn't Iwata's decision

but he said he started meeting DeNa in 2010 and talks had continued since then. So I don't buy it. While it's certainly true and kind of funny to read that quote, I think that since last year's quotes it became evident that a change in strategy was there

heidern

I'm not sure how I should feel about this.

Won't this mean that Nintendo's resources will be further spread thin, and that this new deal will cannibalize their handheld sales?

Well those are some of the dangers. Diversification has it's advantages and disadvantages. Diversifying to Kinect helped Microsoft with the 360 and now it's hurt them on the XB1. It's more about getting it right.

What Nintendo are hoping that greater visibility by going mobile will actually increase their handheld sales. Also, since DeNA will be dealing with a lot of back end work not just on mobile but also for their dedicated devices, this is a form of outsourcing so it may actually free up more internal resources for making games and hardware.

Power Jack

Neo Member
Regardless of what they have said publicly, I see the development of the Amiibo and the use of NFC technology as a clue that within the company these ideas had be floating around.

As someone who believes in exclusivity (breeding competition, thus quality...In most cases), I'm hoping their mobile games feel great, while not giving up too much of the goods, keeping it on the consoles.

I'm hoping their new device is a mobile phone (I've wanted a Nintendo phone before the days of the iPhone), but right now EVERYTHING they haven't said is pure speculation.

Tom_Cody

A day later and my brain is still trying to process this news. One thing that's encouraging is that they indicated the games are doing to be distinct enteties focused on touch control (versus trying to emulate traditional controls on the touch screen):
Iwata said:
Please also note that, even if we use the same IP on our dedicated video game systems and smart devices, we will not port the titles for the former to the latter just as they are. There are significant differences in the controls, strengths and weaknesses between the controllers for dedicated game systems and the touchscreens of smart devices. We have no intention at all to port existing game titles for dedicated game platforms to smart devices because if we cannot provide our consumers with the best possible play experiences, it would just ruin the value of Nintendo’s IP.
As debate of whether Nintendo should go mobile or not has persisted, it has always been frustrating to see analysts (and GAFers) suggest that they should simple dump their legacy content onto the app stores with virtual controlers. That was always a dead-end street.

I also found this part to be interesting:

Iwata said:
As for which Nintendo IP will be used, we do not intend to make any exceptions. Potentially, any Nintendo IP could be used in our smart device software. On the other hand, as I just said, games on smart devices require ever-evolving services rather than just being a finished product. A combined effort will be necessary to operate them. People’s attention would only be dispersed if we simply increased the number of the titles we simultaneously released, and we could not expect to expand our business. Accordingly, we will narrow down the titles for development and operation to some extent.
It looks like they are aiming for their mobile efforts to be more of evolving sustaining platorms more than one-off gaming experiences they're used to creating. Hopefully these things will be more like Hearthstone and less like Game of War.

Top Bottom