• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has changed the Princess Peach Showtime artwork to make Peach look angrier

Draugoth

Gold Member
peach-face-change-1280x720.jpg

As spotted by Twitter account No Context Super Mario, the main art for the game, which also features on the cover, has tweaked Peach’s face twice.

The central illustration of Peach, which shows her reaching forwards out of the image, has had her facial expression changed from cheery to somewhat more confident.

Meanwhile, another illustration of Peach in her Kung Fu Peach power-up outfit, has had her facial expression changed from happy to angry.

princess-peach-showtime-art-1-1024x576.jpg
princess-peach-showtime-art-2-1024x576.jpg

The change is seemingly designed to reflect the mood of the game, in which Peach – as the main protagonist for a change – is portrayed as a more confident character capable of doing more than she usually gets to do. This isn’t the first time Nintendo has changed artwork to make its characters look more serious. Numerous Kirby games in the past have shown Kirby with a cheery face on the Japanese box art, but an angry face on their western equivalents.

Via VGC

Last edited:

DonF

I don't think this is a big feminist conspiracy I just think it looks more like the model from the movie

I'm fine with the change for the Kung-fu pose. She's basically playing a role as a martial artist, so that kind of expression is fitting to me.
Not so much a fan of the other change. She looks like the movie character which doesn't even fit with her model in the game, and doesn't really fit her personality IMO.

Is this change made on all boxarts across all regions?

Banjo64

cumsessed
peach-face-change-1280x720.jpg

As spotted by Twitter account No Context Super Mario, the main art for the game, which also features on the cover, has tweaked Peach’s face twice.

The central illustration of Peach, which shows her reaching forwards out of the image, has had her facial expression changed from cheery to somewhat more confident.

Meanwhile, another illustration of Peach in her Kung Fu Peach power-up outfit, has had her facial expression changed from happy to angry.

princess-peach-showtime-art-1-1024x576.jpg
princess-peach-showtime-art-2-1024x576.jpg

The change is seemingly designed to reflect the mood of the game, in which Peach – as the main protagonist for a change – is portrayed as a more confident character capable of doing more than she usually gets to do. This isn’t the first time Nintendo has changed artwork to make its characters look more serious. Numerous Kirby games in the past have shown Kirby with a cheery face on the Japanese box art, but an angry face on their western equivalents.
Baker Peach got that suck-suck mouth going on

Happy Adult Swim GIF by HULU

Top Bottom