• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has shed its ‘childish’ reputation, says Miyamoto

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Fire Emblem Three Houses, a tactical RPG. Not the best visuals in the world, but that shot does not do it justice either.

Very dark and adult tones in that game, which was why I brought it up.

Thanks! Too bad I don't like SRPG, because what I read about it, it would be a great addition to my Switch library. Which is mostly barren TBH. Xenoblade 2 is probably my most played game on the system but that's two years ago.

Mozza

I disagree with that first part. People don't just buy a product out of spite. MS had enough issues and continued to have issues this gen to have people decide to not buy an XB. Add in them putting their games on PC might have kept that number even lower, but a conversation for another day.

They are trying to turn that around by all the teams they bought in preparation for next gen to not have what happened this gen, happen next gen. So they had people not buy XONE more based on what MS did vs what Sony didn't do.

I have nothing against Nintendo being the family friendly choice, simply that I agree that they have maintained that same image, idea, philosophy etc compared to MS which fights to get new customers. Nintendo seems more concerned with keeping that then actually changing really anything. Even adding more teams won't suddenly hurt those that do like Mario, Zelda etc anymore then MS adding more teams would hurt Halo or Gears or something.

SO we can have Nintendo buy up some teams and they still make Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing etc and then lets say buy Platinum and have them do some M Rated stuff or something. I agree they are family friendly as that seems to be what many believe, I simply believe they don't offer as wide as a range as Sony and now MS.

You can buy a XB and play Halo, Gears and then Ori or Lucky Tales. You can buy a PS and play Ratchet and Clank, Knack, Dreams and then play The Last Of Us or God Of War or Killzone.

You'd be hard pressed to find Nintendo actually making a new IP that was M rated and backing it no different then their other IP. For better or for worse. Its something they just don't do often.

Not saying people have dropped Microsoft this generation because of spite, Microsoft had an awful reveal at E3 and Sony knocked it out of the park, and looked to be the console that catered more for gamers needs.

LordKasual

Banned
LOL

Only an exclusive Nintendo consumer would believe such nonsense.

The Switch is still more immature than the Playstation 2 as far as network interactions go.

Last edited:

Klayzer

If I'm running Nintendo, I would embrace the family friendly mantra. They have carefully cultivated a Disney like audience over many generations. The critics of their style of business will be there no matter what they do.

peach-kagura.jpg

I’d agree.

Meh I want less Pinball they need to bring back the original sexy stuff, to me Pinball cosplay is childish.

Saruhashi

Banned
I think this thread is proof that Nintendo retains it's "childish" reputation after all.

Don't see how they can change it to be honest. Or even why they would want to change it.

I can see it maybe from the perspective of non-gamers where maybe the most mainstream games would be a bit too violent or complex or difficult for people new to the medium. So it's a good starting off point.

It's weird because within the community I can comfortably say that Sekiro or Death Stranding would have been my games of 2019 but outside of this "bubble" I don't think I would recommend those to anyone I know.

More likely if someone, who wasn't experienced or "in the know" when it comes to gaming, asked me for a console or game recommendation I would be pointing them towards Nintendo stuff.

I think Miyamoto is making a distinction between "for everyone" and "for children" but I don't think a lot of people agree that there even is a distinction.

StormCell

I find myself in more disagreements with Miyamoto as the years go by. Internally, I'm sure the company has set its vision on the concept of "peace of mind." What this looks like on the outside is something probably different. As others have pointed out, Nintendo chooses to remain frustratingly simple on some things (online being one of them). See, I don't believe Nintendo has really changed that much over the past couple of decades. They continue to make great games that are suitable for all audiences, and during the same span of time, post-GCN era, Nintendo's hardware gained mass appeal. The DS and Wii were appealing to all audiences, whereas people honestly had an issue with the purple lunch box aesthetic.

With gaming basically going mainstream, I believe that attitudes towards Nintendo have also matured. Nintendo is still making basically the same content, but we live in a world that respects them better than what they went through in the early 00's.

Mista

Banned
Nintendo clearly started taking a new approach but only the deluded will deny that. Got a long way to change that reputation though but the Switch got DOOM and Witcher 3 for example, those definitely are NOT for kids.

They’re taking a new approach and its crystal clear. As for me I don’t care, I love Nintendo for their games. Those adult 3rd party games I play on better hardware.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Mario Kart sure is more gritty and realistic than Forza, GT, and Project Cars.

And Splatoon too over any other shooter.

/s lol

Last edited:

oagboghi2

yea relax, no one is swearing at you bud.

You even want post to be rated E for everyone... Why even ignore the post to just talk about that? smh. Stop taking stuff out of context to argue. No one stated they do nothing to reach sooooo far just to argue. Reality is, MS has done more to get new consumers, Nintendo has done lots of the same to maintain their same base.

The hypocrisy is real here

Simply looking at the teams that MS bought it shows they are just more serious about getting new consumers and changing their image if they need to.
This is based off of what? MS is so serious about getting consumers...and yet they were easily outsold by the switch.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What a dumb thing to say. Nintendo is as popular and successful as it is because it embraces childhood whimsy.

irrelevant

"I don't like colors. Therefore children"

Is this just a troll thread for you?

Who the hell said that? my whole argument was the games are targeted at 5-12. I have enjoyed anime DBZ, samurai shamploo, and full metal alchemist are the ones i really enjoyed, i'm not a huge fan of it anymore though. I do enjoy some nintendo games as well zelda and mario mainly since i grew up with them, but realistic looking games is my preference by far. it' all opinion based though. Here is the reality if you put god father or full metal jacket on for people that like movies they will never say i don't want to watch this kiddy shit, now for example if i put on DBZ, or cars for my friends, they would roast me, telling me what are you a kid.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Who the hell said that? my whole argument was the games are targeted at 5-12. I have enjoyed anime DBZ, samurai shamploo, and full metal alchemist are the ones i really enjoyed, i'm not a huge fan of it anymore though. I do enjoy some nintendo games as well zelda and mario mainly since i grew up with them, but realistic looking games is my preference by far. it' all opinion based though. Here is the reality if you put god father or full metal jacket on for people that like movies they will never say i don't want to watch this kiddy shit, now for example if i put on DBZ, or cars for my friends, they would roast me, telling me what are you a kid.
To me it just sound like your friends just don't like anime, so it doesn't matter if you put something like Devilman Crybaby, they would still "roast"you, regardless if the actual anime is for kids or not.

Out of curiosity do consider this show for kids as well?
A9178-12.jpg

Is this just a troll thread for you?

It's not the first time he goes into endless arguments. I think he's trying too hard to prove his point to be fair. Seems to get a kick out of ridiculing fans of family-friendly franchises, no matter what age group they actually belong to.

Reminds of the nonsense I had to deal with in the 1990s, of "how much more mature SEGA was supposed to be", while being a fan of both.

Last edited:
To me it just sound like your friends just don't like anime, so it doesn't matter if you put something like Devilman Crybaby, they would still "roast"you, regardless if the actual anime is for kids or not.

Out of curiosity do consider this show for kids as well?
A9178-12.jpg

That anime looks super kiddy for me. We are gaming nerds posting on gaming forum, and even some here share the opinion that nintendo targets so i don't get what's the argument here. i'm pretty old though.

Danjin44

That anime looks super kiddy for me. We are gaming nerds posting on gaming forum, and even some here share the opinion that nintendo targets so i don't get what's the argument here. i'm pretty old though.
And thats my point, you only look at on surface level to see what considered "kiddy" the show I posted called Kaiba and trust me this show absolutely NOT for kids, not even for teens.

Last edited:
And thats my point, you only look at on surface level to see what considered "kiddy" the show I posted called Kaiba and trust me this show absolutely NOT for kids, not even for teens.

This is not about me, i'm talking about the average adult. l have my own personal taste of what looks kiddy and shit and what anime looks cool to me, that anime looks like turd and art style to me looks like kiddy crap.

Danjin44

This is not about me, i'm talking about the average adult. l have my own personal taste of what looks kiddy and shit and what anime looks cool to me, that anime looks like turd and art style to me looks like kiddy crap.
Your average adult will actually look at the content of the show like trailers to see the if its actually for "kiddys", Kids are the ones usually "judge the book by the cover".

Your average adult will actually look at the content of the show like trailers to see the if its actually for "kiddys", Kids are the ones usually "judge the book by the cover".

why would a person look at the content or trailers for something they have 0 interest in, just looks unappealing. we have 1000s of shows to watch, i'll watch something that looks interesting to me.

Last edited:

Danjin44

why would a person look at the content or trailers for something they have 0 interest in, just looks unappealing. we have 1000s of shows to watch.
There is a big difference between not liking artstyle and just calling a game or show "kiddy" just because you personally don't like it.

Danjin44

cuphead actually looks cool to me,
There is a big difference between not liking artstyle and just calling a game or show "kiddy" just because you personally don't like it.
So in the end its really not about games actually look "kiddy" or being for"toddlers" it just about you calling them that because you personally don't like them.

I rest my case
tenor.gif

So in the end its really not about games actually look "kiddy" or being for"toddlers" it just about you calling them that because you personally don't like them.

I rest my case
tenor.gif

No i call it kiddy because thats what comes to my mind when i see them. bayonetta has a horrible art style for me but i don't call it kiddy.

Danjin44

No i call it kiddy because thats what comes to my mind when i see them. bayonetta has a horrible art style for me but i don't call it kiddy.
Then you are no different than people who consider entire act of playing video games as childish because to them they nothing more than toys and just like you said:
why would a person look at the content or trailers for something they have 0 interest in
basically just like them you are very close mined person.

y-mia-hairflip.gif

Last edited:
Then you are no different than people who consider entire act of playing video games as childish because to them they nothing more than toys and just like you said:

basically just like them you are very closes mined person.

y-mia-hairflip.gif

thats life though, many people i know are married with kids or own businesses, they see video games as a waste of time. everyone has a way of thinking, no need to judge over someone thinking a game looks kiddy. lmao.

Danjin44

thats life though, many people i know are married with kids or own businesses, they see video games as a waste of time. everyone has a way of thinking, no need to judge over someone thinking a game looks kiddy. lmao.
Then take your own advice, people have different opinion and taste and they are games for every taste, thats what makes gaming great.

I think we are done here.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Then take your own advice, people have different opinion and taste and they are games for every taste, thats what makes gaming great.

you are right. the thread was about the topic though, but yea going into a animal crossing thread or splatoon thread and saying the game looks kiddy is uncalled for.

you are right. the thread was about the topic though, but yea going into a animal crossing thread or splatoon thread and saying the game looks kiddy is uncalled for.

You might find it "kiddy", Splatoon 2's age group looks something like this according to it's Facebook group:

jzPEJ2J.jpg

Sybb

Banned
Didn't Miyamoto state that Nintendo was a toy company several times in the past? They can't just change their minds and think people will forget their history.

MagnesG

Banned
Think real hard on what Miyamoto is actually saying, his comparisons. Read the texts: "family friendly", "peace of mind".

Though it's okay if it is too much for braindead shitheads who failed even on getting basic comprehension.

EDMIX

Not saying people have dropped Microsoft this generation because of spite, Microsoft had an awful reveal at E3 and Sony knocked it out of the park, and looked to be the console that catered more for gamers needs.

Its not just the reveal and Sony knocking it out of the park....

Its MS continuing to ignore those gamers and Sony continuing to knock it out of the park.

PS3 launched bad too, yet ended up getting multiple GOTY awards and outselling the 360. The point is simply that what MS did the entire generation is why they sold less and not simply the "reveal" alone or something.

Bumping because this popped up when I tried to access the Settings menu in AC:
ET9aHtFUUAYVM3z

Great job shedding that childish reputation, guys. The settings are fucking barebones, I don't even know what this is referring to.

Top Bottom