• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo "human resources" must approve your Miiverse posts (30 mins delay)

King_Moc

Banned
They won't moderate private messages, else swapnote wouldn't exist in it's current form.

It's just going to be the random ones fed to games, your desktop and the message boards they showed.

AzaK

there has to be easier, more efficient ways of doing this...right?
Yes, have it parental controlled. Parents can turn it off for little ones and leave it open for themselves. Could also mix both together. If current user is flagged a minor then they only get the moderated comments. If not a minor they get anything instantly.
Nintendo truly are unbelievable sometimes. It could take an hour to get a reply if you're using it to ask a question. But I guess that's not what it's for??

All I can suggest is that we just spam the hell out of it ( not necessarily with rude stuff) and hopefully they will get the idea. :)

sakipon

This seems really stupid. Just have some sort of report system and ban accounts that send inappropriate messages/pictures.
As long as it's a permaban per system, not just on those upcoming player profiles. That would probably slow down the offensiveness... and fill the used market with banned Wii U's.

Christine

I'm not talking about the private messages or the messages amongst friends on your list. I understand that these aren't going to be moderated. That would probably be illegal in many countries.

I'm talking about the open, public message boards that each game has. Not the in-game pop up, not the home screen Mii-filled plaza. The feed each game has. That's the one it seems Nintendo is going to pre-moderate. That's why it seems they felt the need to inform us that there will be a delay in posting and that post showing up online. We've seen nothing that indicates that they're NOT going to do this, but several indications that they might.

What statements are indicative that they might? Both articles specifically mention the feed/desktop content in the same breath as the delay from human filtering.

The L.A. Times article mentions three types of gatekeeping for public messages: a pattern filter, human review, and community flagging. Community flagging makes a lot more sense if there are areas where posts don't go through human review.

And by the way, nothing is hindering an insane amount of people sending in an even more insane amount of posts for the in-game or home screen public messages. Why should there be any less comments there than on the game specific message boards I mentioned?

Nintendo could very much face an incredible task, and probably will, when a million people tries to get their message on everyone's start up screen, or when 25 million NSMBU-users posts a couple of messages in their game.

For the desktop feed, too many messages isn't actually a significant failure mode. The "human resources" will be able to approve enough messages to make everybody's desktop and games look nice and active with lots of players. This will appear to work just as well even if they get totally overloaded and can't keep up with the message input. All they have to do is program the console OS to display any messages the local user posts immediately on the local machine. Most people probably will see their post amidst the others and just assume that it's been published to the cloud instantly.

Neiteio

Finally, an answer to this. I was wondering how they were going to keep Miiverse clean. Now will Nintendo's HR department also correct people's atrocious spelling and grammar? I don't want to see my glorious World-style map in NSMBU polluted by cognitively challenged kids vomiting nonsense. Capitalize those proper names, kids! Punctuation marks inside quotes ("unless inside parentheses, like so")! C'mon Nintendo, make it work!

creid

This isn't about spoilers!

Like I explained in another thread, anti-spoiler technology will be very easy to implement for Nintendo and to me, it will likely be included in the Wii U SDK so developers can use Miiverse and avoid spoilers automatically.

When you're playing, the game itself is aware of your progression and can automatically flag any message you will send with your current progression (let's say, NSMBU level 2-5). It's invisible to anyone but the Miiverse system knows it, and will use it to not display your message to anyone who havn't beat 2-4 yet, and vice-versa, you will not see anyone message valuing more than 2-5.
This seems smart, but I don't think it'll work exactly like this. They seemed to imply that people could use this to give each other tips on tough parts of the game, and that would be pretty pointless if you could never see anything written by someone farther in the game than you. And if you think about it, whoever's farthest in the game would never have their messages seen by anyone until their friends catch up. Kind of pointless, don't you think?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo's obsession with "Stranger Danger" is what prevents them from really having a competent online solution. Yes, people with microphones or keyboards will act immature and say offensive things, this is unavoidable.

See, it's not, though, which is why they're doing what they're doing to combat this stuff.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The people suggesting "ban accounts and that will take care of it" are ridiculous.

Someone from Nintendo said the system was to allow for a large number (12?) separate accounts. Banning one of those isn't going to do anything. They'll just start another.

Finally, an answer to this. I was wondering how they were going to keep Miiverse clean. Now will Nintendo's HR department also correct people's atrocious spelling and grammar? I don't want to see my glorious World-style map in NSMBU polluted by cognitively challenged kids vomiting nonsense. Capitalize those proper names, kids! Punctuation marks inside quotes ("unless inside parentheses, like so")! C'mon Nintendo, make it work!

Do you WANT to make the poor, unfortunate souls that have to work as "human resources" suffer?

The internet is the living proof that nothing omniscent can exist, it is an endless black hole of porrly drawn phalusses, grade school level spelling/grammar, and idiocy, and you want THAT to happen to them?

(lol)

I understand it, but I really hope Nintendo offers an option for instant communication. Say you do want to find the answer to a puzzle on the public boards - ask the question, then have somebody add you to their friends list and immediately post the answer.

For things like the public messages on the game over screen, it's going to need censoring. That's just blatant fact. Those elements don't even really need to be 100% live anyways.

Yeah because Nintendo is the only forum with manual moderation. Oh wait...lots of sites have mechanisms like this for comments as well where they have to get approved first...so not really sure what you're talking about

Not to mention auto flagging and moderation is WAY harder here since pictures are allowed and spoilers are sure to be rampant

Think of it like a Facebook page. How much of their audience uses Facebook? You have total control over your page.

So yes, they still don't get that having a human hit "Approve" for you for millions of potential posts is a bad idea.

linko9

This is such a horrible plan, they'll waste so much money hiring people to read through this shit. If anyone even bothers to post that is.

joeposh

There's no way this can scale. Having done community management on a number of projects, attempts like this to moderate always fail. It's time intensive and because of that it's not good for the corporate bottom line, since it requires an ungodly amount of man hours. It also alienates you from your users and inhibits organic discussion.

I bet they drop that policy or the feature in no time.

If you need the possibility of reading racist remarks, spoilers, and seeing crudely-drawn penises to be the definition of "enjoyment" then I don't think this is the right console for you.
I want some degree of freedom and not to have everything I say vetted by some committee in Japan. Nintendo seems to love imposing their own morals on everyone else and it frustrates me.

Plinko

I want some degree of freedom and not to have everything I say vetted by some committee in Japan. Nintendo seems to love imposing their own morals on everyone else and it frustrates me.

The only reason you'd be complaining right now is if you wanted the "degree of freedom" to post crudely-drawn penises and profanity, which adds nothing to the discussion about a game.

The only reason you'd be complaining right now is if you wanted the "degree of freedom" to post crudely-drawn penises and profanity, which adds nothing to the discussion about a game.

Well, if I wanna draw penises and profanity to fuck with my friends, I should be able to. This is America, goddammit.

Well, if I wanna draw penises and profanity to fuck with my friends, I should be able to. This is America, goddammit.

Jest aside, I think you'll still be able to do this.
Haven't heard anything about friend-to-friend communication being censored and vetted.

I think Nintendo has done a lot of stupid things lately, but this is really not one of them.

Plinko

But you WILL be able to do that to your friends. Nobody said you couldn't.

This entire moderation thing is for the public-view portions.

Let's think about what they want to do here: Create a family-friendly discussion focused on the games themselves. Without moderation, that will end up absolute chaos. It won't happen. It's a necessary evil in this case.

As long as they aren't messing with private friend-to-friend communication (and the 3DS doesn't, so I can't imagine why the Wii U would) it should be fine.

Djamb3

It would be great to turn on the machine to show it to my parents/girlfriend/sons and be welcomed with a wall of penises...

And even better to read a spoiler while I'm just starting the game and a lot of messages telling you what to do, how to do.... geez.

Of course it needs moderation. Oh and the second one phrase is approved it won't appear for approval again most probably

Today me and Dick erected a wooden treehouse! It's really huge and pretty!

Reminds me of American Dad, with the character Dick getting married, being a buzz-kill

"C'mon, gimme my old Dick back. Gimme the Dick I love! Give me the Dick I need!!" for a full on minute just to flip off the censor guys at Fox. What can they say? "The name Dick is not allowed"?
Or the parody on Family Guy

"It's the *BLEEP* Van *BLEEP* Show!"

Teknoman

Never understood why everyone just HAS to make a penis whenever a game or program allows you to make a 100% original creation.

They must be hiring a hell of a lot of people for
this.

As mentioned before, a filter would be a much better idea in comparison to reading every single post.

We just can't help it.
Superbad_Page_1_Image_0001.jpg

Zero148

I think it is ok, when the public posts get controlled, I don't really want to start my system and see a bunch of penises. It is positive, that Nintendo controls it.

Messaging between friends is still uncensored. If there was a 30 min delay, this would really suck

def sim

I'm interested to know how big their team of nannies will be. That's, possibly, many jobs created over ignorance, but jobs nonetheless! Good news, overall.

Dude Abides

Banned
I was wondering how they'd deal with that issue when I saw that stuff at the conference. This doesn't seem like a very good way. Seems pretty labor-intensive for a pretty worthless feature.

Top Bottom