• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Launching NFC (figurine) Game for Wii U/3DS, Details @ E3

And that's why I think this is going to be a tough sell, especially if this is aimed towards that target demographic. I hate to make a hasty judgement about this, but outside from 20, 30, & 40-somethings that grew up with Nintendo games, I don't see how this will work.

There's no reason to think that elementary school kiddies wouldn't eat up Mario and friends figures + Pokemon. Nintendo doesn't have to sell stuff like Metroid or Zelda to them since those games in a sense wouldn't necessarily be directed to them in the first place.

In the Skylanders franchise, a large chunk is made up of people buying figures for the kids but if Nintendo can replicate the "collector" factor that Skylanders has, it'd bleed over into the adults who collect the Skylanders. In fact, that grouping is huge as hell; last few times i waited at Toys R Us for a special Skylanders event, it was mostly made up of 20-30 year olds buying for themselves and a few 40+ people that were buying for their kids.

Hatchtag

Banned
Don't know why people think Sakurai will get all greedy on people. He's done something similar with the cards in Kid Icarus. I'm guessing it'll be the same deal, a neat bonus mode using figures. Plus maybe having the option of using the figures to move movesets, but not requiring it.

That said, even if just Smash uses these figs, they'll be a hit. Hell, if both Smash and Pokken used them...holy hell, the amount of figurines they would sell from those games alone.

I just hope they don't work this into most of their major core releases, as it basically sounds like the Freemium model (or even DLC of sorts) but with figurines.

I wouldn't mind games made from the ground up to revolve around this feature though. They'd be easy to avoid this way, and people who'd enjoy them still can partake in them.

same question here.
Best way to describe it would be with Skylanders.

In those games, you're purchasing a physical figure as a representation of a virtual character. I guess you could compare to DLC in a sense, but you're getting a tangible object for the money you're spending.

For instance, to play as Spyro, you need to buy a Spyro figure. With both Skylanders and Disney Infinity, the figures can unlock something in the game (besides the character, they can unlock new areas, grant stat bonuses, even add an entirely new level)

I imagine a Nintendo game would have a bare bones sort of thing, with figures adding to that by providing new levels/areas, plus characters etc. They could release "magic" items which could function as weapons for the character, or hats or powers or whatever.

As a fan of Skylanders, I think its an extremely interesting and potentially profitable direction they could go...depending on how Nintendo deals and uses it. There's a virtually limitless realm of things you can do; for instance, Skylander's 4th game will be using NFC to "capture" villains from the game and store them into a sort of memory card, allowing you to use those characters as a playable character.

Mit-

In those games, you're purchasing a physical figure as a representation of a virtual character. I guess you could compare to DLC in a sense, but you're getting a tangible object for the money you're spending.

For instance, to play as Spyro, you need to buy a Spyro figure. With both Skylanders and Disney Infinity, the figures can unlock something in the game (besides the character, they can unlock new areas, grant stat bonuses, even add an entirely new level)

I imagine a Nintendo game would have a bare bones sort of thing, with figures adding to that by providing new levels/areas, plus characters etc. They could release "magic" items which could function as weapons for the character, or hats or powers or whatever.

What is the actual gameplay though? Running around using varied attacks on enemies? Platforming? It's hard to think of a focused direction for such a title. Skylanders is about killing enemies (and I assume very mild platforming ever since they implemented jumping). Disney Infinity opened things up with the Sandbox, realizing kids just want to play with all these characters in their various worlds and create new things (a tad Minecraft inspired no doubt). What does Nintendo do?

Riki

What is the actual gameplay though? Running around using varied attacks on enemies? Platforming? It's hard to think of a focused direction for such a title. Skylanders is killing enemies (and I assume very mild platforming ever since they implemented jumping). Disney Infinity opened things up with the Sandbox, realizing kids just want to play with all these characters in their various worlds and create new things (a tad Minecraft inspired no doubt). What does Nintendo do?
They said they had multiple games they will show off at E3. So there's probably a variety of genres they are trying out. Since the figurines can be used across multiple games.

Hatchtag

Banned
What is the actual gameplay though? Running around using varied attacks on enemies? Platforming? It's hard to think of a focused direction for such a title. Skylanders is about killing enemies (and I assume very mild platforming ever since they implemented jumping). Disney Infinity opened things up with the Sandbox, realizing kids just want to play with all these characters in their various worlds and create new things (a tad Minecraft inspired no doubt). What does Nintendo do?

Considering it seems to be a platform, there's tons of genres they could do (platformer, fighter, RPG, anything). Hopefully it's not like Skylanders, since that's a horrid, boring, lifeless game.

So the figures work across multiple games? That's a nice way to add some value to them.

Need to see what Nintendo's offering though. Skylanders and Disney Infinity don't seem like very deep games, they're kids games rather than all ages I guess.

tebunker

Banned

As a fan of Skylanders, I think its an extremely interesting and potentially profitable direction they could go...depending on how Nintendo deals and uses it. There's a virtually limitless realm of things you can do; for instance, Skylander's 4th game will be using NFC to "capture" villains from the game and store them into a sort of memory card, allowing you to use those characters as a playable character.

I dont think it will be anything like this at all. Look it is a platform for figurines that can be used in a variety of games.

My examples was being able to take you figurine across a rang eof mario sports titles for example.

Imagine a series of Mario sports games like the Camelot developed tennis game on GB.

So you would have this figurine/character developing skills across all the games and those traits impact your character in every game.

georly

So the figures work across multiple games? That's a nice way to add some value to them.

Need to see what Nintendo's offering though. Skylanders and Disney Infinity don't seem like very deep games, they're kids games rather than all ages I guess.

Hopefully there is some good value to each figure. Being able to use them across a handful of games (not sequels) would be good. I also hope they are used in meaningful ways on games that arent just interactive toys like skylanders.

Literally, just today, I was thinking: Nintendo is probably the only company that could get me to buy little figures to use in video games.

You magnificent bastards.

Man... they were talking about NFC stuff before the Wii U launched. Is the party even going to be going still when they finally turn up for it?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
English slides are up:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508/04.html

It has been designed to be compatible with multiple software titles for Nintendo platforms. In other words, the figurines, which consumers can buy and collect, are going to work with multiple software titles to be released in the future, and we are aiming to develop more software titles compatible with the figurines. Nintendo has a lot of well-known character IP that has originated in video games, and we have been regularly releasing titles from game franchises that make use of this character IP. This is why I believe a brand-new type of platform will be born when the character IP becomes compatible with NFP.

At E3 to be held in L.A. this June, we will announce which titles are compatible with NFP, display NFP products and disclose more specific information about NFP, which will be launched during this year-end sales season.

Riki

We are calling the figurines by their development codename, NFP, which comes from “NFC Featured Platform” and “Nintendo Figurine Platform.”

What is especially unique about NFP is that it is not classed as an accessory product of a certain software title but as a platform itself.

And it has been designed to be compatible with multiple software titles for Nintendo platforms.
In other words, the figurines, which consumers can buy and collect, are going to work with multiple software titles to be released in the future, and we are aiming to develop more software titles compatible with the figurines.
Nintendo has a lot of well-known character IP that has originated in video games, and we have been regularly releasing titles from game franchises that make use of this character IP.
This is why I believe a brand-new type of platform will be born when the character IP becomes compatible with NFP.

NFP has a writer function as well as a reader function, so it can not only tell what character figurine is on the Wii U GamePad, but also a compact amount of data unique to each game can be written into it and read from it. That is to say, you will be able to customize your NFP to raise or train your own Nintendo characters, for example.

At E3 to be held in L.A. this June, we will announce which titles are compatible with NFP, display NFP products and disclose more specific information about NFP, which will be launched during this year-end sales season.

Currently, Wii U is the only video game platform with a built-in NFC reader/writer function.
However, I understand that some of you may be worried that the market for NFP, a platform that will work with a number of software titles, will not grow large enough when it is compatible only with Wii U.
If we can make a good use of Nintendo 3DS, which has already sold over 43 million units, however, this assumption will greatly change.

All relevant stuff.

Ridley327

Yet. But with Skylanders, Infinity, and now Nintendo moving into it, it might as well be.

I dunno. It's an interesting augmentation to existing games, but when you boil Skylanders down, it's basically a kid-friendly Diablo with an expensive physical DLC aspect.

Mine01

Thanks man! that was useful but i've got another question, hope you dont mind

What kind of gameplay is it(i mean skylanders cause its the closest we can releate this nintendo nfc game so far), is it adventure? brawler? story driven?

and how much content does the digital stuff has?

Snakeyes

I wonder if these NFC figurines will be used to cross-promote less popular IPs. For example, an Arwing figurine would make people more aware of the Star Fox franchise. Owning the figurine would then give you a small discount on the next Star Fox game.

Anteo

Yet. But with Skylanders, Infinity, and now Nintendo moving into it, it might as well be.

So the NFP is going to be pretty much the hybrid streetpass.

But we dont know what kind of game it could be. They could make a Fighting game for all we know.

I wonder if these NFC figurines will be used to cross-promote less popular IPs. For example, an Arwing figurine would make people more aware of the Star Fox franchise. Owning the figurine would then give you a small discount on the next Star Fox game.

Or you would get some bonus (lets say, free download of a stage or something) for Mario Galaxy 3 if you buy the Arwing.

SirShandy

NFC doesn't inherently lend itself to specific kinds of gameplay, it's just a way that you can interact with your games with an augmented reality style approach.

Though many are directly comparing it to Skylanders or Disney Infinity, there's nothing here that indicates that they just wish to copy those kinds of experiences. In fact it almost sounds like there using a system that's sort of the inverse of that: whereas Skylanders and Disney Inifnity use a bunch of figurines for one game, Nintendo seems to be hinting at the use of single figurines across multiple titles - that is a fairly fundamental difference in mechanics.

Also, with Nintendo constantly hinting at the 3DS and WiiU versions of Smash Brothers interacting in some way, it could be that the NFC will be used for that purpose.

noobasuar

Banned
I bet we'll get a Wario figure or something this summer that let's you play as him in Super Mario 3D world and maybe NSMB: U.

Now it all makes sense on why 4 different characters were playable in 3D World.

Yaari

Please Nintendo make a GOOD game with it. This could be brilliant but the game has to be good. Make it so we want to have those figures ingame

Disney Infinity was rather boring. But Nintendo can make great games that both young and old can enjoy.

Gartooth

Count me out, not interested in participating in a game or set of games where I have to spend a shit ton of money just to get access to the content that I already should have paid for with the game itself. Hopefully the late inclusion means that Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. are exempt from this shit, especially the latter where I would've been pissed had they done this. I will be especially disappointed if/when Pokemon includes this in mainline games.

I also have to wonder how many "platforms" the market can sustain with this NFC stuff with Skylanders already a giant and Disney Infinity clawing its way in. One has to wonder if the average household has even invested in both of those series or if they're strictly on one side.

NFC doesn't inherently lend itself to specific kinds of gameplay, it's just a way that you can interact with your games with an augmented reality style approach.

Your point that NFC doesn't lend itself to specific types of gameplay is important. But you're looking at it as a way to "interact." That's being way too generous.

It's just a way to sell you overpriced plastic shit for content they could easily sell you as DLC (which is just content they could've included on a disc).

atr0cious

I dunno. It's an interesting augmentation to existing games, but when you boil Skylanders down, it's basically a kid-friendly Diablo with an expensive physical DLC aspect.
Not really. It's more like a cross game storage unit. Where progress from one game can be transferred to another.
I don't mean the exact mechanics, but more that it's its own meta game that takes place outside of a game.

I hope SSB Wii U isn't infected with these NFC figurines.

But we dont know what kind of game it could be. They could make a Fighting game for all we know.
They specifically say compatible, as if games that wouldn't normally have it, have been augmented to be able to do so. I think they might have a mix, with dedicated games, but also retrofitted ones, to show their intentions moving forward.

They should revive Wonderful 101 as an NFC version with the original plan of Nintendo characters.
As long as I can get a Bayo figure and unlock from the start.

NFC is smartphone related, so it can also give them the "go mobile" link to the future, mario gives you mario app with high score boards? cool..and if you try to pirate in android...you dont get access to the leaderboards

Given what we heard during the Smash direct there is more than likely going to be some sort of compatibility.

I can see it too.

I just cannot imagine how it would work in terms of the actual gameplay. And would that mean there's a fig for every smash character? And these figs are supposed to be cross game compatible? I don't see Little Mac bouncing over into other games haha

"NFP has a writer function as well as a reader function, so it can not only tell what character figurine is on the Wii U GamePad, but also a compact amount of data unique to each game can be written into it and read from it. That is to say, you will be able to customize your NFP to raise or train your own Nintendo characters, for example."
What ever game uses this is gonna be boss! It could be the new miyamoto ip, or smashbros with the character move creation thing. Or even fucking pokemon. The possibilities are out there...lets just hope its not Nintendoggy Wii U.

Mine01

i like the idea now that i know more about how could it work, just hope they aren't hard to find here in mexico.

Jagsrock

Banned
hmm if the figures are going to be used for multiple titles then I think it's most definitely a possibility smash bros will have NFC to some capacity.

Top Bottom