• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Maintenance/Operational Status Thread

Malus

Just checked the eshop for the first time in a little bit after hearing the news about the maintenance. Wasn't prepared for the spookiness. Also, Human Resource Machine is out already huh.

I'm sure this'll all blow over and everything will be fine. They're probably just changing it from eshop to Miishop. No Directs to speak of.

Pokemaniac

We are desperate for any sliver of Nintendo news aren't we?

I don't think I've ever seen people care so much about one of Nintendo's investor briefings as they did last night. The fact that there was a Direct confirmed for this year seems to have kicked things into overdrive.

L~A

Hello Cap'n! We caught a big one!

Wii U: Nintendo eShop
Nintendo 3DS: Nintendo eShop
Wii: Wii Shop Channel
Nintendo DS: Nintendo DSi Shop

This maintenance will take place on:

– Europe: November 2nd (4AM) to November 3rd (4AM)
– UK: November 2nd (3AM) to November 3rd (3AM)
– North America (EDT): November 1st (10PM) to November 2nd (10PM)
– North America (PDT): November 1st (7PM) to November 2nd (7PM)
– Japan: November 2nd (12PM) to November 3rd (12PM)

Cyd0nia

Banned
Half Direct 3 confirmed!

PUaPE0Z.png

Interesting. Hope it means a wee overhaul or something cool..

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So the maintaince takes place before the Super Mario Maker Update.

Considering how it's eShop related, I doubt it has anything to do with SMM. A maintenance specific for Mario Maker will probably appear in the next future.

24 hours is a lot, what would need such a huge downtime? Maybe Nintendo Accounts (even if MyNintendo comes out next year). Or, as L~A posted on his own site, IARC related? The eShop has just adopted the international rating, as we can see with enthusiasm here too (hi, Gualtica :D). I'll probably open a thread on the matter later. Still, it could be related, i.e. making the eShop completely conformed to the new rating system. Or it's just something that no one here could've predicted.

Pokemaniac

Considering how it's eShop related, I doubt it has anything to do with SMM. A maintenance specific for Mario Maker will probably appear in the next future.

24 hours is a lot, what would need such a huge downtime? Maybe Nintendo Accounts (even if MyNintendo comes out next year). Or, as L~A posted on his own site, IARC related? The eShop has just adopted the international rating, as we can see with enthusiasm here too (hi, Gualtica :D). I'll probably open a thread on the matter later. Still, it could be related, i.e. making the eShop completely conformed to the new rating system. Or it's just something that no one here could've predicted.

I don't think IARC could be the cause of this. If I understand IARC correctly, you still get the regional ratings, and the difference is all on the developer side.

If I had to guess, I'd say that this maintenance was for the Web eShop, NX prep, Nintendo Accounts (the timing for these was left super ambiguous), and/or proper cross-buy support. 24 hours is a long time to take a digital storefront down for maintenance. Whatever they're doing must require some sort of massive infrastructure overhaul.

cyba89

Itsnothing.gif

That's what's gonna happen.

Probably. I don't expect anything at this point.

I was pretty sure something was gonna happen last week when Twilight Princess HD was just leaked, there was this maintenance along all stores and we had all those rumors regarding Splatoon and Smash and we got nothing in the end. I learned my lesson from that.

Yeah, probably just prepping the servers for the holidays. I remember the holiday directly after launch of Wii U, the servers were slammed and was pretty slow for a couple days.

Dr. Buni

Even if we don't get a Direct the next couple days, I don't think we are too far away from getting one. I am not hyping myself for a Direct, but it's possible this week.

Pokemaniac

We're all super thirsty but I'm not gonna hype myself up for this though. This could just be preparation for holiday rush.

Maintenance of this magnitude is not typical of preparing for holiday rush. Normally, that process shouldn't require any actual downtime at all. While the "holiday rush" explanation is somewhat plausible, I find it unlikely, since they seem to handle the extra load mostly fine without doing stuff like this (at least when they're not doing stupid things like releasing Pokemon Bank on Christmas). Maintenance of this magnitude indicates that they are changing something deep in their infrastructure. It could definitely be for scaling reasons, but, considering the fact that they're going to necessarily be making significant changes to eShop related things soon due to Nintendo Accounts, My Nintendo, and NX, and this isn't the kind of maintenance that they want to be doing particularly often (any time the eShop is down is a time when people can't spend money on it), this maintenance likely goes beyond simply making things more robust.

There's still a decent chance we won't see anything tangible come out of this anytime soon, but there's no reason to assume this is mundane. This maintenance is highly unusual.

Pokemaniac

Account services launches in March. This is all back-end prep and testing no doubt.

My Nintendo is supposed to launch in March, but the Nintendo Accounts were actually left much more ambiguous.

37l.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/151029/04.html said:
We are planning to introduce a new account system that connects all of these Nintendo experiences beyond platforms and operate a new membership service globally.

The name of this new account system is “Nintendo Account.”
With Nintendo Account as the basis, we will provide new membership services.
Today, let me introduce you to a part of the service.

They appear to consider My Nintendo as a service built on top of Nintendo Accounts, and they specifically stated that My Nintendo would launch in March, but they didn't really say anything about Nintendo Accounts.

Vena

My Nintendo is supposed to launch in March, but the Nintendo Accounts were actually left much more ambiguous.

They appear to consider My Nintendo as a service built on top of Nintendo Accounts, and they specifically stated that My Nintendo would launch in March, but they didn't really say anything about Nintendo Accounts.

Oh I missed that bit. Then there is a high likelihood we see the account system before the end of the year, especially given all this backend work.

CengizMan

Nintendo #eShop will be down for maintenance for 24 hours from 03:00 GMT on 2/11.

Does this mean anything of significance?

GulAtiCa

Most likely yes.

Now, big question of does it mean something right away or some set up for something down the road.

It's prob a set up/preparing for something else down the road. Getting things ready. So I wouldn't get your hopes up expecting something special on Monday.

Dr. Buni

Nintendo #eShop will be down for maintenance for 24 hours from 03:00 GMT on 2/11.

Does this mean anything of significance?
It could mean something of significance, yes, but it also could not. I am hoping for the best and expecting the worst, as usual.

Top Bottom