• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of Europe to distribute Ultra Street Fighter II for Switch in Europe

$40 for this is an even bigger highway robbery than that Bomberman game because of II HD that went for $15.

The sad thing is I believe games like this and bomberman would have done really well if not priced so heinously.

This? Maybe. Bomberman? Don't think so.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The sad thing is I believe games like this and bomberman would have done really well if not priced so heinously.

Konami made money hand over fist from Bomberman. Wouldn't be surprised if eventually ends up at 1 million shipped Ltd.

Shiggy

Reading.

is the real Dark Souls.

He's kinda right though as Nintendo's retail policies apply. Then again, Nintendo's titles also see hefty price drops in Europe, so it shouldn't really be an issue. Street Fighter 4 for 3DS can be found for 5 EUR.

Nintendo "distributing" stuff in europe us basically them publishing but with the iriginal publishers name slapped on the box, they do it for loads of games

Yup, they've been doing it less in recent years though as fewer third party games were developed for their platforms.

Do we know about all the modes and content yet?

Apparently these:
- In Arcade mode, a single player must defeat 12 warriors on the path to becoming the World Warrior champion
- Prepare for intense co-op battles as two friends can team up in Buddy Battle to throw down new two-player combos and attack their opponents from both sides
Fight locally against a friend or against the CPU in Versus mode
- Go online and fight against the best players across the mode in either ranked or casual matches
- Brush up on old skills – or learn new ones – in the training mode before taking on new challenger
- In the brand new mode called Way of the Hado, players can play a unique first-person mode and experience what it's like to be Ryu. By using motion controls to perform moves, players can fight off an onslaught of opponents using the iconic Shoryuken (dragon punch), Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (hurricane kick), and Ryu's fireball super combo, Shinku Hadoken

Neff

I'll be honest, I can't resist this. ST with online play on my sexy new console is worth a few quid.

Plus it's not Backbone this time, which is nice.

This game will flop so hard and then Capcom, in their eternal stupidity, will read this as Switch owners not wanting Capcom games on their console.

I'm not sure that it will bomb.
Price is really too high but I'm interested in an online sf2. But I agree this game reeks of no effort at all. 2 months ago it was 50% complete.

flozuki

Bomberman has done well, though.

Yep, haven't seen a single copy off- and online since release. Would be nice if Nintendo would do physical releases for Hollow Knight and Stardew Valley. Put an Amiibo in the box if you want more money and boom.

Shiggy

By the way, this also makes a release of ARMS in late May pretty unlikely as NoE will not release two competing products at the same time.

Airan

I'm curious to their reasoning behind developing this release and making it $50.
There's a 3D first person mode, which from the looks of it uses SF5 assets. Maybe they're using it to test Switch port potential? Is the SF5 console exclusivity with Sony indefinite?

I'll be buying it, sorry GAF!

Funny enough I have more interest in this classic one than I would if they were porting SF5 lol.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'll be buying it, sorry GAF!

Funny enough I have more interest in this classic one than I would if they were porting SF5 lol.
By a long shot. The Street Fighter 2 cast is the only one in a fighting game where I know all moves, for each character. When Street Fighter 3 launched I was already past learning new move sets. I never was into Guilty Gear or other modern 2D fighting games.

Street Fighter 2 is basically the only fighter I'm competent with.

That first person mode

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross-Generation of Heroes had 22 motion-control minigames. One for each character and supported simultaneous multiplayer.

tatsunoko_vs_capcom_mini_games.jpg

LordKano

By the way, this also makes a release of ARMS in late May pretty unlikely as NoE will not release two competing products at the same time.

The fact that we still haven't heard of a release date now already made me think that it won't be out until early-mid June.

ksamedi

Day one forme. Local multiplayer anytime anywhere for a classic like street fighter 2 is going to be awesome.

Source: PR

This continues their old partnership: NoE has been distributing physical copies of Capcom games in Europe and Australia for a while, including all of their 3DS and Wii U games. Capcom is responsible for localisation, software ratings, and digital distribution, whereas Nintendo is responsible for the retail distribution. Thus Nintendo is taking over risks pertaining to the distribution of physical games, which Capcom may not want to take.

Last year, NoE also distributed physical copies of Minecraft for Wii U as well as two indie games (FAST and Steamworld Collection).

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers is set to launch on May 26 for EUR 39.99 (digital and retail).

I was onboard until I read that, half it then I'll think about it.

By a long shot. The Street Fighter 2 cast is the only one in a fighting game where I know all moves, for each character. When Street Fighter 3 launched I was already past learning new move sets. I never was into Guilty Gear or other modern 2D fighting games.

Street Fighter 2 is basically the only fighter I'm competent with.

Same for me.

NateDrake

ARMS will likely have a good E3 showing that highlights some of the other game modes and characters. I could see a late June happening though.

foltzie1

I do wonder if the pricing is meant to help make the first %50 sale seem like an amazing deal.

I also wonder if this has any title will have any legs in the FGC.

I hope Brook develop a converter which lets me use an Xbox or Playstation stick. I don't think I'll be investing in that HORI stick for Switch unless it works for PC out of the box and several Switch fighters are announced.

Would a stick even connect when in Tabletop Mode? Maybe a stick which has a a slot for the tablet (and a backup battery pack) would be good. Or just a wireless stick you latch a JoyCon onto.

Devil

SFV including season passes has been cheaper before and is the much better game nowadays. I played USF2 at the Switch Preview event and I just can't stand to play SF2 anymore. It feels unresponsive, stiff and not fluent at all.

Wasn't SF2 HD on 360 almost the same game content-wise but just like 15-20€? What are they even thinking selling it at $40?!

Shiggy

Wasn't SF2 HD on 360 almost the same game content-wise but just like 15-20€? What are they even thinking selling it at $40?!

There's only one other retail game (Disgaea) launching in May, so with the lack of competition they can get away with that price.

Memory

Just got an email also, that poster bundle is looking good. Not sure i'll have time to play between with Injustice 2 and Fire Emblem out the week before....

Fuck it, pre-ordered. No one in my circle cares to play SFV but i know everyone will be down for Classic SF2.

Glass Joe

Jeez, I was hoping that with Nintendo publishing it would drop the price off a few bucks. Whelp, here's hoping I can find it around $20 at some point.

I remember having a fun Saturday playing Street Fighter 2 Turbo on SNES at a friend's house, drinking some cans of beer his older brother had got for us... I was 17.

I'm 41 now, and whilst nostalgia tempts me to buy this, the price tag puts me off. It just doesn't seem like value for money when compared to other games that are out, or coming soon, to the Switch.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
40 euro's great deal cant wait for get my SF2 game on.
Its better than 5 anyway

deleted

Well. it would be worth my 30 bucks if this was a quality port.

Better HD graphics than the old 2008 HD remix and pixel perfect SFII assets. Thats wasn't the case the last time this version surfaced.

If they can do that, I'm on board, otherwise, I'm out.

Filter

I'm a sucker for SFII, so I'll be getting this.

My only worry is that the pro controller d-pad will not work properly.

Top Bottom