• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Paid Online Services Include Free NES/SNES Game Every Month (for that month)

Are you serious right now

I'm sorry, but what is wrong with that comparison? Every other console offers games with its service and the offer is far better than what Nintendo is offering. Quite frankly the offering put up by Nintendo so far is pretty piss poor. There will be no voice chat without a phone. People complain about PS Plus games but at least they are from this decade and you can keep them as long as you have the service. Nintendo has completely lost the plot with this announcement and I fear the Switch will bomb just as much as the Wii U. This really was not a good reveal. Nintendo faithful like me will purchase the system for Mario and Zelda, but it just feels like this is a step in the wrong direction if Nintendo wants to stay relevant with today's market.

Audioboxer

"Giving it a time limit makes sure I will actually play the game."

Yes, I already read that here.

All games ever made should have a timebomb. That way none of us on GAF would ever have a backlog! :D

Fair enough PSN+ and XBLG have timebombs, those being when your sub lapses, but whenever you resub, bingo, everything is playable again.

Thinking more about it, it's kind of amazing to imagine people sat through lengthy meetings, produced a ton of presentations, just to walk out thinking "yeah à one month rental of a single VC game is awesome value. Wait until we make that TWO games, that will blow them away".

SeanR1221

Yup. It's like I said in another thread. They've officially lost it.

They're so out of touch with consumers its mind boggling.

Dinjoralo

I think if they expanded this to any virtual console game, and had stuff like GameCube VC on there, I'd be all over this.

Though this also requires them to have a good VC library, which is something they've forgotten about.

Honome

This is probably the stupidest offer i ever seen, it's too stupid even for nintendo, unbelievable.

They had a chance to create a great service offering their VC library for a monthly fee (together with the online gameplay) but instead they decide to keep fucking and insulting their fans with that outrageous "offer".

Apathy

Thinking more about it, it's kind of amazing to imagine people sat through lengthy meetings, produced a ton of presentations, just to walk out thinking "yeah à one month rental of a single VC game is awesome value. Wait until we make that TWO games, that will blow them away".

It just seems like they realized that people will pay for online and that's where they stopped. Like they believe because they are Nintendo people won't compare them to the other guys, so they don't care they don't care about specs, comparisons or online comparison and that people will forgive their shortcomings.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Everything coming out of this Switch reveal that isn't Mario or Zelda is just depressing. It's like they did their best to fuck up every step of the way.

Hahahaha. Is there any part of the Switch that isn't funny? Back against the wall and this is what you come up with. Milk 'em for all they got, Nintendo. I'm done.

This is pretty stupid: your competitors offer at least 4 games to download every month that you can play as long as you want to keep your subscription, MS even offers 2 free games that are all yours even if you cancel your subscription... then Nintendo decides to rent you a game for a month, as if the value of the three packages is equivalent.

Cmagus

I think if they expanded this to any virtual console game, and had stuff like GameCube VC on there, I'd be all over this.

Though this also requires them to have a good VC library, which is something they've forgotten about.

I'd pay a monthly fee to have unlimited access to all VC anytime. That would be the smarter idea but I can't see this current method being that successful.

Audioboxer

This is pretty stupid: your competitors offer at least 4 games to download every month that you can play as long as you want to keep your subscription, MS even offers 2 free games that are all yours even if you cancel your subscription... then Nintendo decides to rent you a game for a month, as if the value of the three packages is equivalent.

And at that, it is not as if it is even something new, or released within the last few years. Yes, we can be honest and admit Nintendos 3rd party library is slim pickings, but that is what makes it even more insane they aren't generous enough to allow a fricking NES/SNES game to be "owned".

Nerazar

Yeah, because PS+ and XBL started out with the strong library they have right now...

Honome

Yeah, because PS+ and XBL started out with the strong library they have right now...

Well, the way things are the nintendo service won't have a library never if we can't even keep a damn NES/SNES game for more than a bloody month!

Nintendo are so out of touch with consumers it's not even funny anymore. A free online service could have been a selling point but if they want to use that money to improve their service then I can see why.

This on the other hand is beyond stupid. To give your consumer base one of your oldest games possible and then they can only play it for that month alone? Who said yes to this? Who at Nintendo thought this was gonna go down well and everyone would be happy about it?

Just give it up Nintendo seriously. Your consoles sell less every gen (apart from the freaky Wii) and you never ever learn. I don't understand how I'm still suprised by their stupid decisions after all these years but I guess I just want then to actually do well. It's bordering on self sabotage.

Nintendo I love you but you make me so mad with asinine decisions!!!

Yup. It's like I said in another thread. They've officially lost it.

They're so out of touch with consumers its mind boggling.

They're acting like arrogant market leaders except in reality their a struggling brand coming off two underperforming products. This was supposed to be the console that turned their fortunes around.

boiled goose

good with gravy
A Reminder that Nintendo sold just 10 M consoles this past gen. A distant third place.

It's not like they can afford to be behind. They should be LEADING when it comes to online services. They need to get consumers BACK.

strength isn't the keyword, when I was getting more free games a month in 2013 that I still can play today over 3 years later.

Plus Resogun was the first PS+ free game so that started out stronger than a rental for a 20 year old game.

Maxim726X

I'm sorry, but what is wrong with that comparison? Every other console offers games with its service and the offer is far better than what Nintendo is offering. Quite frankly the offering put up by Nintendo so far is pretty piss poor. There will be no voice chat without a phone. People complain about PS Plus games but at least they are from this decade and you can keep them as long as you have the service. Nintendo has completely lost the plot with this announcement and I fear the Switch will bomb just as much as the Wii U. This really was not a good reveal. Nintendo faithful like me will purchase the system for Mario and Zelda, but it just feels like this is a step in the wrong direction if Nintendo wants to stay relevant with today's market.

Hold up- Fucking what?

As in, there's no voice chat through the console? This is a joke, right?

Cmagus

I think a big concern is if they're gonna charge an online subscription they need online multiplayer games to justify it. I mean on PS4 and XBO there is tons of third party support and a steady flow of games. What if they charge for online multiplayer and then third party devs bail like always and they have a 2 month game drought what exactly are people paying for.

Audioboxer

A Reminder that Nintendo sold just 10 M consoles this past gen. A distant third place.

It's not like they can afford to be behind. They should be LEADING when it comes to online services. They need to get consumers BACK.

Even the most critical gamers would give Nintendo a bit of slack going into this generation for it to be the one they really need to take the time to build an online network. Look how shite the PS3 was when it launched with the browser store.

However, all this time and Nintendo cannot offer basic voice chat on the system and then also ask us to pay and pull this with the games offered? They're stepping outside of the realm of "oh it's just that they need some time" and stepping into lunacy/greed.

Step inside the Treehouse and see the usual Nintendo madness with games/peripherals, and okay, "fun", but the business side has to give a shit about the console being as close to on par with the PS4/XB1 as possible.

edit: See gif below...

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nintendo why so stingy

25G5TEA.gif

Why would anyone be excited about a paid online service that also gives you what is basically a 30 day trial of a 20 to 30 year old game.

I don't know unless they are diehard fans and even that's cutting it. These are cheap roms and Nintendo doesn't even let you play it for over 30 days despite having you pay for their online service (which is most likely going to be terrible).

Audioboxer

Wait wait wait. I didn't know this was a thing. Help me understand.

So I pay for internet access, get to rent a game a month, and there's *no* chat through the console??

”Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017."

A chart further down the page even clearly points out that the online lobby and voice chat are all part and parcel of the Switch app. Looks like your phone will be one heck of an important part of your Nintendo Switch experience if you're playing online then.

http://twinfinite.net/2017/01/need-nintendo-switch-app-voice-chat/

Basically everything you can do on the PS4 and XB1 Nintendo would rather design to be done in a fucking mobile application. Not to mention Sony and I presume MS even have mobile applications anyway... They done it the other way about first. Get the console sorted, THEN do the mobile application.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

So I pay for internet access, get to rent a game a month, and there's *no* chat through the console??
According to the information provided by Nintendo's own website that seems to be the case.

Maxim726X

『Inaba Resident』;228296555 said:
From the information Nintendo has provided so far, correct

... No words.

Might as well ask everyone to have a valid Skype account and to use that.

It's 2017.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
... No words.

Might as well ask everyone to have a valid Skype account and to use that.

It's 2017.

Yeah but 2017 in Nintendoland is not the same as 2017 in real life

Cmagus

Your basically paying to play games online and to use their new app. You can already have voice chats with your friends on your phone using something like Discord which is free.

Permanently A

Yes, and its possible you have to pay for the mobile app as well since there seems to be a free version and a paid version of the app, but its unclear what the difference is.

"Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017."

Stranya

Lmao this is utterly pathetic. One NES or SNES rental per month, for a month?

I know that Nintendo games usually retain value for longer, but this suggests that Nintendo values its back catalogue far, FAR higher than me and (I would guess) many other potential customers.

The state of their VC is already a disaster. Nintendo should have all its back catalogue up and available in all regions.

MisterR

I mean this shit is amazing. They are charging for online and you have to use a damn smart device app to match make and voice chat. They rent you a 20-30 year old game for a month, and they have the balls to charge for this shit, and there are people on here defending this shit. How deeply does the Stockholm syndrome run in the Nintendo faithful?

It's actually a great idea, it encourages players to buy and play new games instead, GWG and PS+ are a death sentence to new games sales.

And using your phone for voice chat saves switch battery. It pretty genius.

Top Bottom