• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo patents 'Nintendo Floor Vision'

Izzy

Banned
Last month Nintendo patented 'Nintendo Floor Vision' at the Japanese Patent Office.

What could it be?

argon

Sounds similar to that cool floor demo thing they had at E3.. (they had a water/fish projection on the floor that responded to where you stepped)

hmm.. "Nintendo Vision" would be a damn good name for the console.

Luckett_X

Banned
I am conflicted. If the Revolution came with a 'floor display mat' with sensors (totally unlikely, i'd imagine they at least cost a grand+) that'd be... pretty amazing.

But then looking at Wollans crudely drawn childs imagery, I dont think the social stigma of ever being seen playing a game would be worth it!

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The zelda booth at the last E3 had an interactive "game" that was projected on the floor. I think it was a bridge you had to cross before it collapased. There was another thing like that too for the Revenge of the Sith game in one of the hallways. They were really neat, actually. It was fun to watch people walk over them, go "Hey!" and then back up and start tapping at them.

Edit: Doh. What Argon said. I fail at reading.

Taker666

I can't see it being revolution related although it would be quite interesting if they could some how project a control scheme onto the floor.

Projected dance mats etc or perhaps a way to sense where your feet were moving in a tennis game.

Fowler

I'm not sure that that's a Nintendo-only thing, since the HK Disneyland Hotel has that in one of the restaurants.

Timbuktu

Fowler said:
I'm not sure that that's a Nintendo-only thing, since the HK Disneyland Hotel has that in one of the restaurants.

Yeah, I saw that and I think I've seen in Toys R Us in NY too. I doubt the one at the E3 booth was made by Nintendo actually, although the patent may make use of this technology in a videogame context to make a giant DS.

Xrenity

Fowler said:
It's not.
So what sort of technology makes this possible? Is it a Revolution? From information I've gleaned, this technology has been around for several years now. In fact, I sent an email and confirmed it was created by a company called Reactrix. Reactrix describes its product as an "interactive media display solution that enables people to physically become part of and interact with visual content." Prior to E3, Nintendo contacted the company to provide the koi pond flair to enhance an already cool booth. To accomplish these displays, Reactrix uses a hardware and software platform incorporating a proprietary infrared technology, an LCD video projector, and a simple display surface such as a floor or wall. Reactrix charges about $2,500 for a 30-second spot.
http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=468

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Don't go to crazy guy.

There is a rather large one on the floor in Sony's Metreon store in San Fransisco too.

There's one at my mall. My daughter loves it, but it's hampered by the large shadows that you cast since the image is projected from the ceiling.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
I has just gotten used to having carpet around here. Oh well time to bust out the linoleum again. Boom bap.

Top Bottom