• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power ceasing publication

That sucks. I have been enjoying my subscription for the last couple of years. Oh well.

I remember the 80's and early 90's issues so well. Such nice hand drawn maps for things like Zelda 2.

The end of an era. I haven't picked up an issue in years, but I got a free copy of Dragon Warrior (Quest) on the NES for subscribing in 1988.

Was inevitable.

Print, especially print so relentlessly specific and dedicated to a subject matter that isn't forthcoming with information, has to fight long and hard to survive.

dc89

Ahh man that's rough.

Isn't one of the guys on the Player One Podcast something to do with this mag?

BiggNife

I knew it was going to happen eventually, but still a shame.

Nintendo Power was part of my childhood growing up. I still have a bunch of old issues in my room somewhere. It was blatant Nintendo propaganda and I loved it.

meppi

Damn. Another one goes down.

Never had the magazine back in the day as it wasn't distributed over here, but it's influance certainly is something that no one can doubt.
Such a sad day...

The recent issues have been pretty horrible. Hard for a magazine dedicated to Nintendo systems when 95% of the games on Nintendo systems now are from Japanese companies uninterested in Nintendo Power.

hn.gif

Wow, I have a stack of NP's from the late 80's-early '90's and still flip through them occasionally for the nostalgia trip.

Its best days are behind it, but it's still sad to see NP go.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh wow.... I suppose it was just a matter of time. Chances of an app are surely low too

If Nintendo were more tech friendly, I could see them selling 'issues' digitally through the WiiU pad kind of like Qore or whatever. But they're not, and they won't.

This news coming a month after I basically sold my entire NP collection dating back to the SNES-launch era. Still not mad.

I will pick up the very last issue to read through once whenever it is released.

I'm sad and a little surprised it is just now shutting down. Haven't read a game magazine since the 90's.

I have some great memories of Nintendo Power in the 80's. My schoolmates and I would sit around and make our own level maps on notebook paper at lunch in the Nintendo Power style.

Effect

I resubscribed to them a few years ago to get better Nintendo coverage and have really enjoyed getting the magazine each month. A shame. First subscribed when I was kid from when they first started I think until the PS1/N64 era. Let the sub run out to get the playstation magazine PSM. Though I would still pick up the odd issue in stores when it looked interesting. I kept hoping that they might transition to digital offering of some kind but from the article it looks like Nintendo wasn't interested in being helpful on that front. :( End of an era.

My sub is still active and I wonder how many issues left.

FoneBone

Nintendo produced and distributed the magazine (with articles that were often just thinly veiled marketing copy) from 1989 through late 2007, when it started contracting the brand out for a more independent angle from tech-and-game-focused Future Publishing.

But our source says that Nintendo, which was always "difficult to work with," was uninterested in renewing that contract or in taking part in a number of digital initiatives that Future saw as necessary for the long-term health of the brand.
Not exactly surprising, I'm afraid.

cjkeats

Haven't read it in a long time, since my last subscription ran out, but still gonna miss seeing it on shelves.

It's like that pet you grew up with that stayed home after you moved out, then died while you were away.

Top Bottom