• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power (Sept. 2008) -- Sonic & the Black Knight, Dead Rising Wii, ect

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Zihark said:
What were the previews? Anything new on Time Hollow or Little King's Story?
They did have previews on both but I didn't notice anything new in either preview

GoldandBlue said:
Now this I want to know more about! At first I was unsure if I'd pick it up since I've played it God knows how many times but 4 new games have my curious. Unless, the other 2 are just mini-games but whatever. I want to know more about Revenge of the King.
They mentioned 3 new mini games separate from the 4 new games so I'm pretty sure the other 2 new games are more than simple mini games.

What makes the Super Star remake such a great value is its inclusion of whole other games in the series. Spring Breeze is a remake of the original game in the series, Kirby Dream Land, which I've never played.

But you guys should keep your eyes on Mushroom Men.

pakkit

Banned
lupin23rd said:
The new game that didn't appear will probably be Punch-Out.
I've discovered that anything involving Nintendo and the press is alright as long as you keep your expectations at the lowest possible value.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
grandjedi6 said:
Madden NFL 09 All-Play Review
Pros
-motion controls have been refined from 08's
-the graphics and lighting have improved
-they love the new "Call Your Shot" feature
-call it the "best, most fully featured sports sim available on Wii".

Cons
-Brett Favre is on the cover :lol

:lol

I was about to buy Madden 08 last year but I think this will be the year that I actually buy it.

Kirby Super Star Ultra will have 12 games (up from the original 8). Two of the new ones include Revenge of the King (a new platformer) and Meta Knight Ultra (Meta Knight touch skill game)

DS GOTY
well for me :D

I need one very important question about Madden '09 answered:

DOES IT HAVE CREATE A PLAYER?

I was quite pissed to discover that all the reviews for '08 neglected to mention that create a player was removed.

Teknoman

Pachael said:
Sega could be cool about it and have the sound come out of the speaker in the Wiimote.

No More Heroes really did that nicely. Didnt Red Steel do that as well? I know RE4 sends the communicator static through the speaker.

How the heck does Madden get a 9 but NCAA gets a 5? How can there be that much difference when year in and year out they're basically the same game? Anyone?

jrricky

Banned
shit i dont buy sports games often but i think i am going to have to buy madden and tiger woods this year.

sonic sounds goddamn great.

have no problems with the reviews. I guess ncaa 09 is starting the cycle that madden started so in the next 2 years it will be getting those scores i hope.

vareon

Teknoman said:
No More Heroes really did that nicely. Didnt Red Steel do that as well? I know RE4 sends the communicator static through the speaker.

"Trust your instinct and head to the garden of madness" coming from the Wiimote is the bestest thing ever. It would be cool if Sega implemented this.

tenritsu

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
How the heck does Madden get a 9 but NCAA gets a 5? How can there be that much difference when year in and year out they're basically the same game? Anyone?

Apparently NCAA has a "shitload" of bugs to quote some gaming sites.

poking cow

Neo Member
grandjedi6 said:
News
-- Kirby Super Star Ultra will have 12 games (up from the original 8). Two of the new ones include Revenge of the King (a new platformer) and Meta Knight Ultra (Meta Knight touch skill game)

commmeee to me please :D

Bolded turns me off.

Sonic and the Black Knight
-- Sequel to Secret Rings
-- the game is a platformer with the sword just adding to the attacks and such (e.g. while running you can flick the Wiimote and attack with the sword, ect.). The game is formost about speed and platforming
-- Unlike Secret Rings you control Sonic with the control stick
-- they'll be civilians in each stage that can be rescued which will earn points towards "knighthood" (killing the innocents takes away points).
-- there is an equipment and shop system to purchase weapons and armor

-- each stage contains multiple branching paths
-- the skill and mission structure return but the development team is trying to fix the problems from before
-- some of sonic's "friends" are playable...... but its optional!
-- Nintendo Power predicted the Soul Calibur comparisons, the skeptism and the worry about Sonic having a weapon, hehe.

I'm probably alone in this, but I liked Secret Rings. The biggest problems were the need to level up and the mission structure. For the sequel, they kept those two things, but removed everything else I did like about the game, and added a talking sword.

Not to mention how pointless this is with Unleashed coming out, too.

Teknoman

ShockingAlberto said:
Bolded turns me off.

I'm probably alone in this, but I liked Secret Rings. The biggest problems were the need to level up and the mission structure. For the sequel, they kept those two things, but removed everything else I did like about the game, and added a talking sword.

Well Secret Rings wasnt exactly pointless after what happened with 06. Besides Spring 2009 is still a decent gap for an exclusive and totally different Sonic title.

I liked Secret Rings as well, but the one thing I wished for at times was the game to not be on rails/constantly going forward.

If the attack mechanic works pretty much like Twilight Princess, then there isnt much to worry about there.

That and if both games turn out good, then I can just get Unleashed for PS3/360 and this for the Wii :D

I long for the days when you could plan on buying a Sonic main series title or Sonic Team game without worring about reviews/gameplay issues

Firestorm

News
-- Kirby Super Star Ultra will have 12 games (up from the original 8). Two of the new ones include Revenge of the King (a new platformer) and Meta Knight Ultra (Meta Knight touch skill game)
God yes yes yes yes

Fady K

Yes, Time Hollow - thank goodness the game is coming out! Even if it was confirmed time and time again, finally, it feels like it definitely *is* coming. Mine!

:( at Izuna 2, its not thaaaat bad is it??? Its getting scores in the 50s range everywhere :(

Boo at Bangai-O spirits, only an 8! Lol, expected 9s.

AniHawk said:
It will be Disaster. Or Fatal Frame IV.

I dont know about Disaster, but PLEASE BE FATAL FRAME! Its my most wanted Wii game right now.

Will the day ever come that I am able to decide not to buy a Roguelike based off of reviews? Doubtful.

By all accounts I've come across in the months prior, Izuna II was superior to Izuna I hands down for the gist of things. By their own account, Atlus even improved the game for the US release thanks to bug hunting and fixing things up from said version. Izuna I, while quirky, was a solid enough Roguelike.

No great surprise at yet another low score though for a game like this. I'll order it in a week or so.

botticus

Impressive Madden score. Guess I'll schedule that one for a rental to see if it's ultimately improved upon 07 rather than just 08.

AniHawk

ShockingAlberto said:

Yeah, pretty much. Sonic Unleashed was almost Secret Rings done right until the night time level bull.

lopaz said:
The skill and mission structure IS the problem :p

Not really. Levelling up is a fun twist, but SatSR implemented it poorly, forcing players to spend at least 1-2 hours grinding their way to the necessary skills with a gimped Sonic. The mission structure was also a good idea, but again the implementation - dull challenges, few varying paths, repetition etc. - was poor.

Hopefully they can fix the issues that affected those parts of the game, strip out the awful minigames and improve the controls - either by ditching the perma-run or giving the player more precise control over it.

jibblypop

Banned
Wow that Kirby game is sounding great! I would have bought it even if it was a straight port but a new platformer game is definitely a welcome addition!

man that Kirby game sounds awesome

Andrex said:
Sure. Taking out enemies without stopping sounds cool. Awesome, even.

baby-sleeping.jpg

TheGreatDave said:
Have Nintendo ever shown off a big first party game in Nintendo Power first?

didn't Metroid Prime 3 appear with new pics and details in the magazine first?

but perhaps you mean for the first time

So Wii is getting Sonic: Dark Knight in addition to the multiplatform Sonic? That's some pretty major support from Sega for the Wii right there. Excellent news that its a platformer.

grandjedi6 said:
They mentioned 3 new mini games separate from the 4 new games so I'm pretty sure the other 2 new games are more than simple mini games.
That's awesome. I can't wait to hear more about it. Hopefully they're as long as the Milky Way Wishes game.

brain_stew said:
So Wii is getting Sonic: Dark Knight in addition to the multiplatform Sonic? That's some pretty major support from Sega for the Wii right there. Excellent news that its a platformer.

Really? You don't see it as double dipping? 'Cause I do.

Vinci

Danish
brain_stew said:

It's been a long time since Sonic games would be considered 'major support' for me. Hell, it's probably more along the lines of Sega going, "Well, Unleashed for the HD consoles costs twice as much to make as it does for the Wii. Why not just make another game for the Wii and get two games for the price of one?"

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
CartridgeBlower said:
NCAA Football 09 All-Play Review
-the all play system doesn't work that well
-the simplified controls aren't very intuitive
-play selection screens aren't well organized and are difficult to navigate with the nunchuk.
-mascot mode sucks
-the new stylized look just makes everything look bland

grandjedi6 said:
News

Can't wait.

grandjedi6 said:
-- Elebits: The Adventures of Kai and Zero (DS): Sequel to the Wii game. Features new Elebits that will grant abilities such as illuminating, freezing water and reversing gravity. Wildly different from the Wii game and looks like a Zelda clone of some sort.

Interesting.

Top Bottom