• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q3 2015 (CY) - Software Sales

TheJoRu

I thought Super Mario 3D World sales looked a bit bleak when the first numbers for it appeared, but its legs appears to have been consistently good. Very low for a 3D Mario, but still. Might end up passing NSMBU eventually.

Celine

i wonder how big the break was between sm64 and sm64 ds. two years? three? they've been seeing almost continuous sales for that game since 1996.
SM64DS was at 10.83M as March 2012 so about 230K shipped in the last 3 years and half.

EDIT:
Maybe I misunderstood your question.

Splatoon doing nearly 2.5mil is amazing. Say what you will about Wii U's lack of sales the games they put out sell like crazy.

NotLiquid

It's crazy to think that Splatoon has seemingly sold more than any Metroid or F-Zero game in the last decade and a half, and on a lower install base no less. Nintendo struck a gold mine with this game. 3 million by the end of the year seems to be a lock once the holiday boosts come around.

Parshias7

Taking risk as well as actually advertising one of their games. They refuse to do that with a LOT of their titles. Had they treated Splatoon as they did nearly everything else it wouldn't have sold the numbers it has.

I would imagine they don't push their other new games as hard as Splatoon because those games aren't as initially well received as Splatoon. And when I say "initially" I mean at announcement. Its not like dumping truckloads of ad cash on STEAM would have convinced everyone whose first impression was "looks like shit."

Splatoon had a hugely positive reaction from fans following its unveiling at E3, so Nintendo didn't feel the need to be conservative in their advertising.

Now more then x4 polygon predictions, and higher then super circuit

mario_kart_overlapping_line_chart.jpg

Eat your crow, Polygon! EAT IT!!!

Geg

lol so does this mean the attach rate for Mario Kart 8 is above 50%?

Great numbers for Splatoon too, now the #6 best selling game on the Wii U. It'll probably get passed by SMM by the end of the year though

Celine

It's crazy to think that Splatoon has seemingly sold more than any Metroid or F-Zero game in the last decade and a half, and on a lower install base no less. Nintendo struck a gold mine with this game. 3 million by the end of the year seems to be a lock once the holiday boosts come around.
Metroid Prime is still above.
It's not surprising much, Splatoon has wider sale potential than Metroid or F-Zero because it's focused on accessible multiplayer.
The "new" thing for Nintendo was that the multiplayer on Splatoon is basically online only which is in contrast with series like Mario Kart or Smash which started as local multiplayer only.

noshten

It's not surprising much, Splatoon has wider sale potential than Metroid or F-Zero because it's focused on accessible multiplayer.
The "new" thing for Nintendo was that the multiplayer on Splatoon is basically online only which is in contrast with series like Mario Kart or Smash which started as local multiplayer only.

It's not surprising now - prior to launch there was barely anyone in this forum that predicted these type of sales. Most were saying it would bomb and there were loads of threads complaining about the content rollout, no Voice Chat being "Cheap and Lazy", No enough content to justify price in US, complaints about the Splatkids commercial, complaints about Amiibo lockout missions, complaints about selling an "unfinished game" etc etc

Calamari41

41 > 38
I still remember someone getting into a very heated argument with me, convinced that Pokemon X/Y would have a ceiling of 8 to 9 million units sold. Good to see that the series is as alive and well as ever.

Celine

It's not surprising now - prior to launch there was barely anyone in this forum that predicted these type of sales. Most were saying it would bomb and there were loads of threads complaining about the content rollout, no Voice Chat being "Cheap and Lazy", No enough content to justify price in US, complaints about the Splatkids commercial, complaints about Amiibo lockout missions, complaints about selling an "unfinished game" etc etc
That tells more about those "gaffers" than Splatoon sales potential.
The ones predicting it would sell as "well" as Wonderful 101 were clueless on the matter.

TheMoon

My favorite: "This should be a $20 download-only title."

From industry veterans, mind you.

NotLiquid

Even though Splatoon is a "safe" concept by being an online shooter it'd be incredibly silly to have said with confidence that people expected it to have this kind of impact as a new IP on a system that had exhausted most of it's reach. Hindsight is 20/20. I expected good, mind you, but I didn't expect this good.

How much is Prime's number on? I only remember the US numbers were around 1.5 million.

TheMoon

edit: nvm, thought we had GCN numbers in the OP (regarding MP sales) ...where did I see them?

Seeing that it's 30€ in Europe, maybe they were right?

Sure, it would've been a success like this as a download-only game. lol

Celine

Even though Splatoon is a "safe" concept by being an online shooter it'd be incredibly silly to have said with confidence that people expected it to have this kind of impact as a new IP on a system that had exhausted most of it's reach. Hindsight is 20/20. I expected good, mind you, but I didn't expect this good.

How much is Prime's number on? I only remember the US numbers were around 1.5 million.
How much Splatoon will end selling was/is up in the air but that Splatoon had the sales potential to do very well was clear from the reveal E3 in 2014 IMO.
And that's because Splatoon isn't just another online shooter ;-)
Two things were immediately communicated by Nintendo:
the peculiar aesthetic they were going to use and the core idea behind the gameplay which was that the shooting would influence (directly and indirectly) the movement, team strategy and goals dinamically in an easy yet sort of deep way.

MP1: 2.78M

Shiggy

edit: nvm, thought we had GCN numbers in the OP (regarding MP sales) ...where did I see them?

Sure, it would've been a success like this as a download-only game. lol

They could've sold download codes. You don't remember how successful Nintendo Pocket Football Club and Mario vs. DK Tipping Stars were due to those? :p

I'm really glad to see those Splatoon numbers. it has been the most fun I've had online in a long time.

Now more then x4 polygon predictions, and higher then super circuit

mario_kart_overlapping_line_chart.jpg

Wii U hardware is listed at 10.73 million on Nintendo's site for those wondering. MK7 has an additional 2.5 million and MK Wii has another million from when that abomination was made.

Mael

Code:
[B]Sys.	Title						Q3 '15		LTD as of Sep. '15[/B]

3DS	Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer		2.020.000	2.020.000
3DS	Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire		420.000		10.690.000
3DS	Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS		330.000		7.370.000
3DS	Mario Kart 7					270.000		12.190.000
3DS	Animal Crossing: New Leaf			270.000		9.440.000
3DS	Tomodachi Life					180.000		4.480.000
3DS	New Super Mario Bros. 2				170.000		9.470.000
3DS	Pokemon X / Y					160.000		14.150.000
3DS	Super Mario 3D Land				110.000		10.210.000
3DS	Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon			70.000		4.610.000
3DS	The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D		50.000		3.820.000
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/3ds.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/151028_3e.pdf
Will NSMB2 and SM3DL cross stream?
No Majora's Mask?
WTF is Ocarina of Time doing there?

Code:
[B]Sys.	Title						Q3 '15		LTD as of Sep. '15[/B]

Wii U	Super Mario Maker				1.880.000	1.880.000
Wii U	Splatoon					800.000		2.420.000
Wii U	Mario Kart 8					440.000		5.870.000
Wii U	Super Smash Bros. for Wii U			200.000		4.030.000
Wii U	Super Mario 3D World				170.000		4.470.000
Wii U	Nintendo Land					120.000		5.000.000
Wii U	The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD		50.000		1.620.000
Wii U	New Super Mario Bros. U				40.000		4.880.000
Wii U	New Super Luigi U				10.000		2.270.000
Wii U	Wii Party U					10.000		1.580.000
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/151028_3e.pdf

Surprising to see NintendoLand do this good!
they really should have put amiibo support + online on this one.
SSB keeps doing better on 3DS than on WiiU, as far as Nintendo is concerned that version paid for itself and more.

Wii & NDS data is mostly Q2 + Q3 2015 (April 2015 - September 2015)

Code:
[B]Sys.	Title						Q2+Q3 '15	LTD as of Sep. '15[/B]

Wii	Wii Party					230.000		9.150.000	(three quarters)
Wii	New Super Mario Bros. Wii			190.000		29.510.000
Wii	Super Smash Bros. Brawl				160.000		12.930.000
Wii	Mario Kart Wii					150.000		36.530.000
Wii	Super Mario Galaxy				90.000		12.590.000
Wii	Wii Sports Resort				70.000		32.870.000
Wii	Wii Sports					30.000		82.720.000
Wii	Wii Play					0		28.020.000
Wii	Wii Fit						0		22.670.000
Wii	Wii Fit Plus					0		21.110.000
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wii.html

MKWii is doing better than most WiiU games!
NSMBW is also doing awesome.
and Smash? it's not being far from the WiiU version!
People say that Wii games aren't popular!

Code:
[B]Sys.	Title						Q2+Q3 '15	LTD as of Sep. '15[/B]

NDS	Super Mario 64 DS				10.000		11.060.000
NDS	New Super Mario Bros.				0		30.790.000
NDS	Nintendogs					0		23.960.000
NDS	Mario Kart DS					0		23.590.000
NDS	Brain Age					0		18.140.000
NDS	Pokemon Diamond / Pearl				0		17.630.000
NDS	Pokemon Black / White				0		15.600.000
NDS	Brain Age 2					0		14.880.000
NDS	Pokemon HeartGold / SoulSilver			0		12.720.000
NDS	Animal Crossing: Wild World			0		11.740.000
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/ds.html

To be fair, it's hard to get DS games these days.
How did they manage to sell 10k of the DS launch title I have no idea.

Thanks for parsing and posting this! We're all but guaranteed a new Luigi's Mansion.
Completely forgot how well it has done. 4.610.000 and still in the top 10.
Wouldn't mind a new Luigi's Mansion

Splatoon and Mario Maker definitely deserve those sales.
Certainly agree with that.

The biggest news is that Super Mario 64 DS sells 10.000 Units, 10 years after release.
It really is pretty crazy.
However. I know you can still buy a new copy in my city.

WillyFive

!
People say that Wii games aren't popular!

The Wii was a software monster. A lot of the publicized 3rd party 'flops' were mostly self-immolation (making simplistic spin-offs of franchises instead of the real deal, "tests" by companies that involved games people wouldn't buy even on the other consoles, etc.)

Mael

The Wii was a software monster. A lot of the publicized 3rd party 'flops' were mostly self-immolation (making simplistic spin-offs of franchises instead of the real deal, "tests" by companies that involved games people wouldn't buy even on the other consoles, etc.)

Believe me I know fairly well what and why shitty 3rd party "real games" didn't sell on Wii, most sold more than they had any right to.

NintendoLand is really doing 120k?

I thought all the bundles were phased out by now?

I'm pretty sure they are, I have no idea where they're coming from.
If it's new copies selling, it's fantastic news because it means there's demand for this kind of stuffs.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Yup... just noted Mario 64 sold another 10,000... just. wow. Crazy.
Totally deserved, it's my favourite game of all times. <3

adroit

So do games like Xenoblade never chart? Any chance it'll chart once it's released outside Japan? If not, I guess it's a miracle such games ever get made. Thanks, Nintendo!

Mory Dunz

I'm pretty sure they are, I have no idea where they're coming from.
If it's new copies selling, it's fantastic news because it means there's demand for this kind of stuffs.

If it's selling somewhat without bundles.....is NintendoLand a successful new IP (with no asterisks)?

Celine

So do games like Xenoblade never chart? Any chance it'll chart once it's released outside Japan? If not, I guess it's a miracle such games ever get made. Thanks, Nintendo!
The chance is low because it need to ship 1 million units which is a feat unlikely doable by Xenoblade IMO.
Surprise me gamers.

Top Bottom